The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Jewels (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 1: November 2002-September 2007 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/diana-princess-of-wales-jewellery-1-november-2002-september-2007-a-30.html)

Josefine 11-21-2002 04:43 AM

Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 1: November 2002-September 2007

this thread is all about Dianas Jewelry

Josefine 02-16-2003 03:49 PM

16 Attachment(s)
Pictures from Corbis

Josefine 09-17-2003 08:15 AM

7 Attachment(s)
02/00/1997
02/00/1987
07/19/1998

Josefine 10-05-2003 01:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
this was posted by jun5 at the diana forum

moosey60 10-05-2003 04:12 PM

Wow, she was great with jewelry. Especially gifted in beauty.

Tell me: why don't the British wear sashes? All other European royals wear sashes on official events. (I know that Diana and Charles wore sashes in the last picture, but that's pretty much the only one.)

Josefine 10-11-2003 09:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Visiting Japan in 1986
1995 with her slicked-back hairstyle

sara1981 10-16-2003 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Josefine@Oct 16th, 2003 - 7:25 am
what kind of necklace is this
well!

Diana wores that green emerald choke since she married in 1981 after she divorces from Prince Charles she wores that chokes for her last day!

Sara Boyce

royal_sophietje 10-17-2003 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Josefine@Oct 11th, 2003 - 8:10 am
Visiting Japan in 1986

what is this...
this was a tiara event Because the other women had tiaras

She had forgotten her Tiara at that event.
And the picture of the event where she is dancing with Charles, she also wear a choker as headband.

Again forgotten to take the tiara with her!!!

TOMMIX 10-17-2003 06:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:heart: DIANA-

jun5 10-18-2003 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This undated photo shows a pearl and diamond necklace worn by Britain's Princess Diana at her last official engagement on June 3, 1997 at a performance of Swan Lake at Royal Albert Hall in London. The necklace and pair of matching earrings will be auctioned with a starting price of $500,000 by Guernsey's in New York on December 16. The necklace has 164 diamonds and five large South Sea pearls, and was created in the London workshop of Asprey and Garrard.

jun5 10-18-2003 08:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This undated photo shows a pearl and diamond necklace worn by Britain's Princess Diana at her last official engagement on June 3, 1997 at a performance of Swan Lake at Royal Albert Hall in London. The necklace and pair of matching earrings will be auctioned with a starting price of $500,000 by Guernsey's in New York on December 16. The necklace has 164 diamonds and five large South Sea pearls, and was created in the London workshop of Asprey and Garrard.

the pearl and diamond earrings of Princess Diana

wymanda 12-08-2003 03:53 AM

Was the Spencer tiara returned to Diana's brother or is it being held for Prince Williams bride?

royal_sophietje 12-08-2003 04:52 AM

It is returned to het brother, but if William marries, I think the bride MAY wear it.

Ennyllorac 01-04-2004 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by royal_sophietje@Dec 8th, 2003 - 4:52 am
It is returned to het brother, but if William marries, I think the bride MAY wear it.
I don't remember where I read it but I do believe her brother asled for it back when she was stripped of the HRH title.

Mia 01-04-2004 01:38 PM

Most of these are obviously those fake pearls which Princess Diana is said to have worn.

Excellent close pic of the pearl earrings!

kelly9480 01-04-2004 02:28 PM

The Spencer tiara is owned by the head of the Spencer family. Diana was allowed to wear it by her father and her brother, but she never owned it. It, like Althorp, stays with the head of the family. It's one of two tiaras that the family currently owns (the other one is hideous), and was worn by Diana's sisters at their weddings and her sister-in-law, Victoria at her's.

Considering the bad blood between the Spencers and the Windsors, it's unlikely that William's wife will be allowed to borrow the tiara. She'll get enough tiaras from the royal family, so she won't need to borrow from her husband's uncle.

micas 01-04-2004 06:42 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Diana's jewels

Lady Jean 01-06-2004 11:56 AM

The latest photo of an oval sapphire and diamond pendant (wearing pink dress) - that pendant was part of a suite of sapphire jewelry she received as a wedding present from I believe the Saudi Arabian royal family. That suite also included what you see as a sapphire and diamond choker a few posts up - it has been reported that was actually a bracelet which she "made" into a choker.

The modern style diamond and sapphire necklace a posts above (3:43 pm) was also a fabulous wedding gift from one of the eastern royal families. I think the same is true for the necklace above.

khanhelena 01-08-2004 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micas,Jan 7th, 2004 - 6:30 am
AND THIS SOMEONE SOMETHING. DIANA WEAR A LOT THIS SUITE OF JEWELS. IN THIS PIC YOU CAN REALISE THAT SHE IS WEARING A EARRINGS VERY LOOK ALIKE THE OTHERS SAPPHIRES EARRINGS FRON THE SUITE POST FOR MIA. BUT THIS ARE TWO SAPPHIRES AND NOT ONE.

The jewels (including the earrings that look like the sapphire set) that Diana are wearing in this picture are amethysts not sapphires. BTW, the amethyst are cabochons. There is speculation that this set was also a gift. Not sure where or when though, maybe from the Middle East.

Elizajane 01-08-2004 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by micas@Jan 6th, 2004 - 6:30 am
Someone met this jewel???????????
REGARDING THE RUBIES: Thanks, gals, for straightening me out about the suite of "amethysts and cabochons". I've always wondered about "those particular jewels" and their "origin". However, right now, I'd like to address Diana's wearing "rubies". She very rarely wore rubies. I think (and, I really mean "think") that Princess Anne wore this particular necklace of "rubies" which Diana is wearing in the photo with the stapless back evening gown. However, the design of this necklace is "kind of similar" to the design of the Saudi diamond and sapphire necklace which goes with the "half moon" diamond and sapphire earrings.

She waited an awful long time to wear "rubies" in public, but after her separation from PC, on a trip to Venice, she walks up the gangplank from a small motorboat (where a lot of paps are waiting for her) wearing one of the most beautiful ruby and diamond necklace I have ever seen. :heart:

Your thoughts?

Elizajane

micas 01-13-2004 09:45 AM

8 Attachment(s)
More Jewels.

Lady Jean 01-14-2004 03:47 PM

In 1991 Diana started wearing very beautiful ruby and diamond earrings.

She sometimes wore her very wide pearl choker w/small pearls and the spacer bars of small rubies and diamonds along with them.

The earrings are a more contemporary design. I don't know how to explain them.

She wore them quite frequently in her later life. They had interchangeable drops of diamonds and rubies, or large pearl drops.

Some of the occasions she wore them:

Hot Shots movie premiere, with red and gold ruched dress
Pink lace over red short evening dress, Dec. 1991
Tartan skirt w/black velvet top, Feb. 1991
Burgundy lace Valentino dress, Jan. 92
Tokyo tour, fuschia silk off-shoulder gown
Trip to FRance, short red cocktail dress, Sept. 1995
Visit of President of Italy to London, October 25, 1990

If anyone can post pictures of these events that would be great. The earrings are beautiful.

micas 01-17-2004 08:47 PM

8 Attachment(s)
More Jewels

Lady Jean 01-20-2004 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by micas@Jan 17th, 2004 - 8:41 pm
Tell me if this are the correct dress and events. I belive the earrings are this. :lol: :lol:
Yes , Micas, those are the earrings! THank you for the great pictures.

The other way they were worn was a ruby and diamond three strand "drop" (I don't know how to describe it)...it mirrored the look of the top part of the earring.

Fireweaver 01-20-2004 04:15 PM

Basically you can add on to the earrings so they're bigger.

micas 01-20-2004 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, i very confuse. Ad what? You are sepiking in the same earrings? Is the rubi isnt it? I am sorry but sometimes my inglish let me stay bad and i never saw other events when Diana wear him in other way. Tell me the date of the events that gona make everything esier. :( :(

I found this. I belive is the same earrings but withot the pearl and witha pendents. It semes that they have the forme of a burtefail. Well, they are the same but i don't now if is this you refere. I hope so.

Lady Jean 01-21-2004 09:11 AM

YES, the last picture shows the earrings the other way they can be worn.

Good research Micas! You found the correct thing! :rolleyes: :flower:

Lady Jean 01-23-2004 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by micas@Jan 17th, 2004 - 8:47 pm
Some1 have a better look for this?
The crystal and black earrings were also worn with:

Orange satin tuxedo jacket, black bow tie, and black taffeta skirt, Portugal 1987

White satin and black, off-shoulder tuxedo dress, black bow in front. Velvet skirt.
1989 London City Ballet event and 1990 British Lung Foundation event.

Aquamarine / teal blue suit w/large black buttons, at wedding in London, Summer of 1987 (?). Wore a matching blue hat.

I think these earrings are a good example of her appreciation of nice costume jewelry.

Lady Jean 01-23-2004 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by micas@Jan 23rd, 2004 - 10:10 am
this?
The pic have bad quality but we can see the earrings

Micas, you are an excellent detective, great photos of the crystal and black earrings. :flower: They are not a piece of jewellery that look so good in photos, though - the details are hard to see. :cry:

The choker - the black band she wore w/the red and black gown....it was a black velvet band with a flag pin. I believe she only wore it that one time - it honored the hosts.

Gabriella 01-23-2004 03:07 PM

By the way, does anyone know, what happened to Diana's engagment ring? Did William or Harry inherit it?

micas 01-27-2004 09:47 AM

8 Attachment(s)
More jewels

micas 01-27-2004 10:14 AM

8 Attachment(s)
More jewels

micas 01-27-2004 10:33 AM

6 Attachment(s)
More jewels

Lady Jean 01-27-2004 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by micas@Jan 27th, 2004 - 10:28 am
:lol:
This grupe of jewels belong to Queen Elizabet II.

I love these but I remember at the time (and have since read in Suzy Menkes' book, that they were borrowed from the jewelers Collingwood for the photo shoot, done in around April 1981. I don't know why she didn't borrow something from the Queen.

Lady Jean 01-27-2004 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by micas@Jan 27th, 2004 - 10:36 am
Diana wedding earrings belong to her or are a wedding gift? I don't remember saw her with them again after the wedding
These gorgeous earrings belong to her mother, Frances. They were the bride's "borrowed" item. There are photos of her mother wearing them at other occasions, like the royal christenings and I think even Diana's funeral.

Lady Jean 01-27-2004 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by micas@Jan 27th, 2004 - 10:26 am
:lol: Other choker
This three-strand choker she had as a teenager. This time she is wearing it with the clasp in back. Usually she wore it with the turquoise and pearl clasp in front. In July 1982 at a service in St. Paul's Cathedral it broke. After that she replaced the clasp with pearls only.

I love this, the epitome of the "Lady Di Look." :flower:

Lady Jean 01-27-2004 11:51 AM

Yes, as she enters the Cathedral she is wearing it and when she is leaving she is not! Apparently it was embarassing, during the service, all of the pearls scattered on the floor! :blush: Poor Diana! This was during the Falkland War service, she wore a small black hat and royal blue and black patterned silk dress with a belt. It was her first public appearance since Williams' birth.

Lady Jean 02-04-2004 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by micas@Jan 29th, 2004 - 6:04 pm

This is the front of the choker, isn't it?

Yes, that's the 18th birthday choker.

wymanda 02-05-2004 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lady Jean@Feb 4th, 2004 - 1:31 pm
Maybe she borrowed this emerald necklace from a jeweler. I haven't seen it listed as part of the Queen's official collection, either. I am quite sure this state occasion was after the marriage separation was announced. That may have had some influence over her being allowed to borrow jewels from the Queen.
That emerald necklace is part of the Cambridge Suite which was inherited from Queen Mary's family. The queen gave Diana the two necklaces as a wedding gift. The other one was the one Diana wore as a headband.

Lady Jean 02-09-2004 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wymanda
That emerald necklace is part of the Cambridge Suite which was inherited from Queen Mary's family. The queen gave Diana the two necklaces as a wedding gift. The other one was the one Diana wore as a headband.

According to Suzy Menkes, The Royal Jewels, 1989:
The Cambridge Emeralds "family jewels consisted of eight large cabochon emeralds set as a necklace , to which Queen Mary added an emerald drop and the marquise pendant of the Cullinan diamond given to Queen Alexandra by Edward Vll." [Queen Elizabeth wears this occasionally] "The rest of the suite was made up of emerald and diamond earrings , a brooch with pendant drop, a stomacher and two bracelets There were also some loose emeralds which Queen Mary later used as interchangeable drops for the diamond circle tiara she acquired fromt he Russian Grand Duchess Vladimir." The stomacher contains five oval emeralds of graduated size and one square shaped emerald and one drop emerald. (See in the current "Queen Mary of Teck" LTR photo thread, the post by gaoshan1021 on 12/23/03 at 7:46 pm).

Queen Elizabeth's other emerald necklaces are:
- The Godman necklace, which has one oval and square shaped stones in a delicate setting.
- A necklace which was a gift from the city of Victoria, British Columbia,of emeralds and diamonds in the shape of dogwood flowers. This has never been seen in public.

I also checked Leslie Field's book to verify this information.

wymanda 02-09-2004 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lady Jean@Feb 9th, 2004 - 9:08 am
A necklace which was a gift from the city of Victoria, British Columbia,of emeralds and diamonds in the shape of dogwood flowers. This has never been seen in public.
Perhaps the stones from this necklace were reset?

Then again Diana did have a penchant for costume jewellery, maybe this is a clever fake??

maryshawn 05-01-2004 02:40 AM

It has often been reported that one of Diana's favorite pairs of earrings--pearls--were purchased at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. Which ones are they? There are so many she wore.

BTW, they are no longer available. Too bad. Do any of the shops where she bought costume jewles still carry her favorites like Butler and Wilson's crescent moons and bow with heart earrings?

Mary Shawn

Lady Jean 05-25-2004 03:24 PM

The Metropolitan Museum earrings were called the Venus earrings. They were faux pearl drops descended from a gold hoop. She wore them a lot from around 1990 - 1991. You can probably find them somewhere like EBay. The museum sold them for many years, so there must be many pairs out there.

helleniki 06-05-2004 01:05 PM

The only pic I saw Diana, Princess of Wales using a sashe was the one from the State Visit of HM Queen Beatrix I of the Netherlands and HRH Prince Claus.
I never see a pic of Diana using a british sashe, because I think HM Queen Elizabeth II never condecorate her with one, so I would like to ask if someone could post some pics of Diana using sashes from other countries, for example during State Banquets she attended in London or abroad during several visits Prince Charles and her made.

Thanks in advance.

Torkel 06-07-2004 10:06 AM

The late Diana, Princess of Wales received only one UK-decoration - the personal family Order of Queen Elizabeth. You can see this clearly in the picture in micas' post. It is a small picture of the Queen, in a diamond frame and with yellow band behind it. The Prinncess never received a real Order.

When Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands paid a state visit to the UK in 1982 she gave Diana a Dutch Order. I think this is the only order the Princes ever received.

Why? I have no idea. The Duke of York, Princess Royal, Earl of Wessex and Countess of Wessex also have very few Orders. It seems as though new rules does not "allow" them to accept Orders.

maryshawn 07-25-2004 12:45 AM

When Charles arrived to pick up his ex-wife's body, he was very aggitated about the fact only one of her favorite gold earrings had been found. The other was later found in the car. He also wanted her watch, a Jaeger lecoultre. What earrings were they? Did they have some sentimental value--and the watch, same question. Does anyone know?

maryshawn 07-25-2004 01:01 AM

But suddenly Diana-and you see this more in books on her--started wearing 3 or 4 dainty gold bracelets on her right hand. Were they gifts from Dr. Khan or someone? If you look at a good photographic journal of her, you will see them often starting in the late 80's early 90s. Just wondered what prompted it and if they had significance of a personal nature.

maryshawn 07-26-2004 12:06 AM

OK, I give up. Go to Diana page and middle link to old sites by Josephine. The first site on images (there are three featured on top), go to page 7. It's midway down, she's wearing a gold dress leaning forward--and there are the bracelets.

maryshawn 08-16-2004 10:27 PM

Help with mystery bracelets....

In the late 80s and early 90s Princess Diana always wore her patek philippe gold watch from Charles and then started wearing 3 or 4 slim gold bracelets on her other wrist. She wore them whenever she was not wearing her "grand" jewelry but they are often hard to see. Does anyone have a photo closeup or know the significance of why she was so attached to them?

Thanks,

Mary Shawn

Mia 08-21-2004 04:28 PM

Quote:

Perhaps she was very fond of Philippe Patek's watches.
Hem, hem, not Philippe Patek but Patek Philippe.

Patek Philippe is considered to be one of the top brands of wathces in the world. So it's no wonder that the Princess of Wales was fond of her watch.

But I would be thrilled to see a picture of both the watch and the bracelets mentioned above. Most of the pictures that I've seen don't show the details that close.

Balqis 08-24-2004 12:53 AM

Maryshawn, I know she had a charm bracelet given to her by Prince Charles at the start of their marriage. He kept buying her new charms to add to it. I always though that was sweet.

I remember reading that she wore a watch, I can't remember the brand but it could be Pillipe Patek, early on and it was special to her as it was given to her by her father. Then she got a watch from Prince Charles. Is this the gold watch she is often seen wearing?

Balqis 08-24-2004 05:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chanel
I have never seen this charm bracelet. Any photos?

You can see the gold watch and the charm bracelet in one pic and just the bracelet in the other.

Mandy 08-24-2004 09:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Are these the articles in question? Picture of Diana from 1990. Bracelets and watch. Source unknown.

Mandy

tiaraprin 08-25-2004 02:33 PM

I think the Queen was upset that she might have been wearing something with royal connections and wanted it all retrieved so no one else could get their hands on anything.

royal_sophietje 08-25-2004 02:37 PM

You're right Tiaraprin!!!

She even rushed to Margaret's apartments to get her jewels when she died :) :)

tiaraprin 08-25-2004 02:46 PM

Why am I not surprised Sophie??

The Queen doesn't want anything getting into other's hands. I am sure though she could have trusted her niece and nephew to handle things???

Elspeth 08-25-2004 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royal_sophietje

Is that confirmed, or just another rumour?

wymanda 09-07-2004 03:47 AM

Quote:

I think that by the time Pncss Margaret died the royals had realised that Kensington Palace was not as secure as they had thought. Having just lost their mother Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah would not have been thinking of making sure her jewels were secured. Has anyone ever thought that they asked the Queen to have them taken to Buckingham Palace for safe keeping rather than risk some light fingered servant taking them! (Just my thoughts).

royal_sophietje 09-07-2004 05:30 AM

I read it in a book that the Queen is very very concerned about her jewels. What the reason was that she rushed to Margarets apartment to get her jewels herself, I don't know.

wymanda 09-07-2004 07:38 AM

Quote:

I read it in a book that the Queen is very very concerned about her jewels. What the reason was that she rushed to Margarets apartment to get her jewels herself, I don't know.

I seriously fail to believe that HM hightailed it from BP to KP to collect her sister's jewels!
I have wondered if they had maybe already been taken to Buckingham Palace before Princess Margaret died as she was in no condition to perform public engagements and was vulnerable to being exploited by dishonest people.

Elspeth 09-07-2004 03:40 PM

I suppose the notion that the Queen went over to Kensington Palace to pay her respects to her newly deceased sister would be too boring to consider.

maryshawn 09-07-2004 10:36 PM

Jewelry

I suppose you are right Elsbeth. However, as we have seen w/Mr. Burrell there are people close to the monarchs who know where things are and might be tempted to report them "missing." I went to my grandmother's house within hours of her death to pay my respects and her sister had already absconded with her best jewelry and silver. My grandpa was too upset to notice but a ring promised my eldest cousin was "missing." My other grandmother suffered the same fate. She died and by the time my mother got there, her niece was wearing her diamond ring promised to my mother......People get greedy so if the Queen is as smart as I think she is, she realizes this and in addition to paying respects, she was savvy to make sure Princess Margaret's jewels were secured for her family.

maryshawn 09-14-2004 11:30 PM

The night she died she was wearing a jaeger lecoultre worth about $200K--ironically, the original was created for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. It is the smallest, most delicate watch ever made.

Elizajane 09-25-2004 03:40 PM

Earrings and watch ~ Charles' concern after Diana's death.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryshawn
When Charles arrived to pick up his ex-wife's body, he was very aggitated about the fact only one of her favorite gold earrings had been found. The other was later found in the car. He also wanted her watch, a Jaeger lecouTRFe. What earrings were they? Did they have some sentimental value--and the watch, same question. Does anyone know?

I read that Charles was upset about the missing earring because he stated that Diana would be upset IF she was seen with just one earring on. I think the earrings really had no significance of value ~ I believe he was only thinking of "how fastidious" she was in her "dressing habits". I read that the missing earring was finally found ~ "lodged" in the dash board ... sooo, she must have had more of a traumatic jolt in that car than we've ever been told.

As far as the watch is concerned, that watch may have come from "somewhere else" and/or from "someONE else" rather than from Charles. I noticed a little while before the separation in 1992, that she started wearing all kinds of watches other than the one Charles gave her during the engagement period. (I think that even one of them was her "old watch" which she had before Charles gave her that gold watch.) As far as I know, that watch could have been given to her by Dodi, or Hasnet Kahn, etc., or she may have just bought new watches from time to time.

To be a little bit on the Queen's side, I think it's only correct that she be concerned about "royal jewels" staying within the "royal family". This makes me think about the "emerald stealing scandel" at Fort Belvadere in regard to the Duchess of Windsor, (Wallis Simpson), where "David" was living at the time .. or were they just visiting there at that time? Does anyone know if that's ever been resolved?

Elspeth 09-26-2004 03:00 AM

If you're referring to the emeralds which Edward VIII gave Mrs Simpson, which were rumoured to be Queen Alexandra's emeralds which she'd left to him, that apparently isn't the case. The emeralds were left to Princess Victoria and were sold when she died (shortly before George V died), and Edward VIII bought them then.

If you're referring to the episode where the Duchess had a number of pieces of jewellery stolen when she was staying at Ednam Lodge, I don't think those emeralds were among the stolen pieces. I believe a burglar confessed some time later to having stolen them, which should have put paid to rumours that the royal family was involved or that the Duke had arranged a fake theft for insurance purposes, but of course it didn't put paid to them because people like conspiracies and scandals.

Julian 09-26-2004 10:29 PM

What about the choker/headband segment of the Cambridge Emeralds that were given to Diana? That and also the teardrop tiara that was a gift from the Queen, but only for the length of her life, might certainly have been items the Queen would have wondered about the whereabouts of. I'm not sure if there were other items that were considered either state or Windsor entailed items of jewelry, if so however the Queen would understandably have inquired about once Diana was gone.

As to the story about the earring and the watch and Prince C. being anxious about those, I've never seen anything that backs that up. It sounds like another P.R. puff piece made to bolster his whole image as the sorrowing ex.

maryshawn 09-30-2004 09:57 PM

The weirdest thing was how Dodi's father acted. Within 2 hours of her death, everything, he said, of hers at Dodi's was packed up and sent to England. So, jewelry, clothing, purses, books.....all packed off ASAP. He could've just sent them home w/the Princess and that way she might not have had to wear a borrowed outfit. I don't know WHAT to make of that man.

micas 10-14-2004 04:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I found 2 wonderful pics; 1 is from a tiara that belong to the Spencer tiara , the other is from a neckless and earrings that probably Diana wear.

What i ask is: some now what this tiara belong to Diana, because the pic sugest that and the second some1 have a pic of Diana wear this earrings and neckless?

royal_sophietje 10-14-2004 04:58 PM

I guess the tiara is not owned by the Spencer family, but that the tiara is inspired by the Spencer family weapon. If my memory the Spencer family weapon contains a feather-thing like what you see in the tiara. :)

I have no clue about the necklace and earrings

Katie Bee 12-20-2004 07:09 PM

On the first page of this thread there are 3 different tiaras pictured. I was wondering if anyone could tell what the names of each were? I know two of their names but I do not know which names belong to which picture. I'd appreciate it greatly!
:) Thank you!

Katie

reynard 12-20-2004 07:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie Bee
On the first page of this thread there are 3 different tiaras pictured. I was wondering if anyone could tell what the names of each were? I know two of their names but I do not know which names belong to which picture. I'd appreciate it greatly!
:) Thank you!

Katie

The first tiara is the Spencer tiara. It belongs to Diana's family who let her borrow it while she was Princess of Wales. She wore it on her wedding day.

The second tiara is the Cambridge lover's knot tiara. It originally belonged to Queen Mary who had it made to look like a tiara that belonged to her side of the family, the Cambridges. The Queen received it as a wedding present and she in turn gave it to diana as a wedding present.

The third piece is a headband that Diana had made out of a diamond watch. She replaced the watch face with a sapphire and had it mounted on a velvet band.

Boris 12-25-2004 11:53 AM

To Mary Shawn:

Sorry, I don't know where to locate the replica of the gold, pearl and diamond heart necklace, but I wanted to tell you that it's a myth that Prince Charles bought it for her.

His present to his wife on the occasion of Prince William's birth was a simple gold medaillon (locket) inscribed with the name 'William' in Charles' handwriting.

Princess Diana bought the heart necklace for herself, with money left from the inheritance of her maternal great-grandmother. A fact that I always found to be rather sad - a 21-year old married woman going out & getting herself a necklace with a heart...

As far as the Spencer tiara is concerned, according to Paul Burrell Diana's brother Earl Spencer simply demanded it back around 1995 - I don't think there is any reason not to believe Burrell on this account. It seems that Diana had a hard time parting with it, and it aggrevated the rift bewtween her and her brother.

reynard 12-29-2004 03:54 PM

Diana, Princess of Wales, Jewellery, Part 2

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hread.php?t=30

The Princess Diana thread was getting rather long, so let's post any new Diana pictures or questions here. Above is a link to the old thread.

Fashionista100 01-05-2005 09:47 AM

I know someone asked if William and Harry would get her jewels. They each had the option of choosing something of Diana's when she died. Harry choose her engagement ring, William her Patek watch. The Spencer tiara is property of the Spencer family and was loaned to Princess Diana. William or Harry's wives will not wear it as they are not Spencers. The children of the Earl will wear it. I think most of her other jewels went back to the crown, I'm sure her sisters took some as they have come off very greedy in newsreports. But the Queen retains the most important pieces. I am not sure if William or Harry's wives would want to wear anything that was Diana's just because the connection to her is so strong. They would want their own things. Plus the Queen has many jewels which we have never seen so I'm sure they will get something else.

Reina 01-05-2005 07:31 PM

I agree that they would not want some of Diana's jewelry cuz of the strong connection and this is esp. true of the lover's knot tiara.

reynard 01-06-2005 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reina
I agree that they would not want some of Diana's jewelry cuz of the strong connection and this is esp. true of the lover's knot tiara.

I don't know, I think William's wife should get the Lover's Knot tiara

maryshawn 01-15-2005 08:36 PM

Ah ha! So it is a patek! Thank you...I just stumbled across this and have been asking what kind of watch that was for years. He also chose her cartier tank--not the later francaise but the plain one given to her by her father. You'll see it in photos as late as her trip to Angola.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fashionista100
I know someone asked if William and Harry would get her jewels. They each had the option of choosing something of Diana's when she died. Harry choose her engagement ring, William her Patek watch. The Spencer tiara is property of the Spencer family and was loaned to Princess Diana. William or Harry's wives will not wear it as they are not Spencers. The children of the Earl will wear it. I think most of her other jewels went back to the crown, I'm sure her sisters took some as they have come off very greedy in newsreports. But the Queen retains the most important pieces. I am not sure if William or Harry's wives would want to wear anything that was Diana's just because the connection to her is so strong. They would want their own things. Plus the Queen has many jewels which we have never seen so I'm sure they will get something else.

Princess Sparkles 02-14-2005 07:47 PM

When Diana died, she left a will. I'm not sure what she bequeathed her sisters in the will - it could be that she left them jewellery. It seems harsh to assume that her sisters took stuff because they're greedy.

As for the Spencer tiara - it's currently with the Spencer family. It was worn at both of Earl Spencer's weddings. Although, I'm not sure if Lady Jane or Lady Sarah wore it. I read somewhere that Diana claimed that Charles Spencer asked for it back and that she was upset about that. To be fair though, it was the family tiara and one that would generally be worn by the wife of the Earl and/or his heir.

As far as her jewellery goes - only a few things were given to her *permanently* by the Queen. I imagine that most of it was loaned to her for life and had to be returned to the collection. Of course, the jewellery she received as gifts from others for the wedding (e.g. she got a lot of stuff from the Saudi royals) was her to keep as was the stuff she received as gifts over the course of the marriage.

Elspeth 02-15-2005 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Sparkles
When Diana died, she left a will. I'm not sure what she bequeathed her sisters in the will - it could be that she left them jewellery. It seems harsh to assume that her sisters took stuff because they're greedy.

As for the Spencer tiara - it's currently with the Spencer family. It was worn at both of Earl Spencer's weddings. Although, I'm not sure if Lady Jane or Lady Sarah wore it.

I'm pretty sure they both did; I've seen photos of both of them in their wedding clothes, and it looked like the same tiara both times.

Shalu 03-15-2005 12:55 AM

What kind of Patek watch did Princess Diana have?

Josefine 07-28-2005 12:06 PM

what jewllery did she keep after her divorce

branchg 07-29-2005 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josefine
what jewllery did she keep after her divorce

Diana had a fortune in personal jewels ($40 million by some estimates) mostly gifts which were given to her over the years from Middle Eastern monarchs (Saudis, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar) and the Sultan of Brunei. Many of these pieces, in the royal tradition, were not completely to her liking and were later reset in new pieces. All of these jewels were left to Princes William and Harry.

The Spencer tiara, which was a loan from the Earl Spencer, was returned to him at his request after her separation from Prince Charles. Diana also had a few pearl and diamond pieces and some earrings which were returned to the Spencers after her death.

The rest of her jewels, mostly gifts from Her Majesty, Prince Charles, and the Queen Mother, were returned to the Queen. As part of her divorce settlement, Diana was permitted to keep all royal jewels for her lifetime, with the proviso they could never be lent or sold. The agreement also stated these jewels would be given to Prince William for his future wife after her death.

tiaraprin 08-15-2005 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is Diana in the "Swan Lake Necklace" shortly before her death.

Photo from http://www.bemine.com/tributes/princess.htm

tiaraprin 08-25-2005 04:35 AM

Can anyone tell me where this amethyst demi-parure came from?
People have told me it is sapphires from the saudi wedding gift, but it looks like amethysts to me.

Picture courtesy of Getty Images

http://www.popstarsplus.com/images/P...anaPicture.jpg

wymanda 08-25-2005 07:18 AM

I always thought that amethyst necklace might have been fake but, then again, it might have come from the jewels of Queen Alexandra who had quite a fondness for the stone.
Interestingly, the Spencers have a third tiara that is made from tortoiseshell with amethyst accents. When I saw the picture of it in Munns book I thought how well it would have gone with this necklace.

tiaraprin 08-25-2005 10:00 PM

Queen Alexandra often wore the jewels of semi-mourning long after the death of her son, The Duke of Clarance and Avondale. Amethyst is among those choices.

branchg 08-26-2005 01:09 PM

The parure utilized sapphires reset from a bracelet from the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia with black Tahitian pearls.

tiaraprin 08-27-2005 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by branchg
The parure utilized sapphires reset from a bracelet from the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia with black Tahitian pearls.

That is sapphires with Tahitian Pearls?

Squidgy 08-27-2005 10:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiaraprin
That is sapphires with Tahitian Pearls?

No, it is not sapphires, but is, as you suspected, amethyst. At least, according to Debrett's Illustrated Fashion Guide : the Princess of Wales. This seems to make sense because the only times Diana wore the necklace was with purple gowns. Like you Tiaraprin, I have always wondered where the necklace came from and unfortunately, Debrett's does not indicate this.

Photos: Tim Graham (left); Jayne Fincher (centre, right)

tiaraprin 08-28-2005 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidgy
No, it is not sapphires, but is, as you suspected, amethyst. At least, according to Debrett's Illustrated Fashion Guide : the Princess of Wales. This seems to make sense because the only times Diana wore the necklace was with purple gowns. Like you Tiaraprin, I have always wondered where the necklace came from and unfortunately, Debrett's does not indicate this.

Photos: Tim Graham (left); Jayne Fincher (centre, right)

We need an expert on these matters, perhaps a moderator might know the answer!!

Thank you for confirming it is Amethysts, which is what I thought all along!

Warren 08-28-2005 02:31 AM

Amethyst v Sapphire

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiaraprin
We need an expert on these matters, perhaps a moderator might know the answer!!Thank you for confirming it is Amethysts, which is what I thought all along!

To add to the confusion I have just checked "The Royal Jewels" by Suzy Menkes, third edition 1988. On page 166 there is a photo of Diana wearing much the same dress, but with black gloves and no tiara, but the same necklace and same (I think) earrings.

The caption states "A new necklace using the sapphire watch and ring clusters" which were part of the very impressive and very valuable wedding gift from the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia. Some photographs of the sapphires from this parure show them to be quite blue, as one would expect, but the published photos of this necklace, including the one in "The Royal Jewels" give both the clusters and her earrings (from the same suite) a brownish tinge. Maybe this is why some think they are amethysts, including Debretts.

I have gone through the whole chapter on Diana's jewels and there is nothing about amethyst jewellery apart from a cross she borrowed from Garrards in 1987 for a gala dinner.
Quote:

Suzy Menkes, who is considered an expert in this area, and branchg (see above) are agreed they are sapphires. However, like much about the Windsor jewels, some things cannot be absolutely certain because Buckingham Palace does not comment on such matters, or as Menkes states in the introduction to her book "a subject that is totally taboo."

Hope this helps!
W

wymanda 08-28-2005 03:17 AM

Warren,
I hate to disagree here but Menkes is not really that reliable. There have been a number of inaccuracies unearthed in that book. One was the idea that the Nizam tiara was dismantled. Why, if the stones in this necklace are sapphires, did Diana only wear it with purple gowns? Surely she would have worn it with blue gowns as well??

Warren 08-28-2005 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wymanda
Warren,
I hate to disagree here but Menkes is not really that reliable. There have been a number of inaccuracies unearthed in that book. One was the idea that the Nizam tiara was dismantled.

No disagreement Wymanda, as I have no opinion myself whether they are amethysts or sapphires. I just thought I would throw in another source to the mix and members can make of it what they will!

ps.. on the Nizam... According to Menkes the Queen's portrait in the Royal Family Order depicts her wearing the Nizam of Hyderabad Tiara.

W

Squidgy 08-28-2005 07:51 AM

Thanks Warren for finding additional comments about the necklace. I must admit I am more confused than ever now.:confused:

Also, I hadn't realized when I wrote my last post that sapphires come in many colours other than blue ... I had assumed because the necklace stones were so obviously NOT blue, that they were therefore not sapphires. But I now realize this is not true. A sapphire can be many colours (see http://www.thaigem.com/buyer_sapphire.asp)

The mystery continues ...

Elspeth 08-28-2005 12:46 PM

Sapphires are basically any colour of corundum that isn't red; the red ones are rubies. Usually sapphires are shades of blue, and if they're other colours they're usually called "yellow sapphires" or "pink sapphires" rather than just sapphires, but the blue is obviously the best-known colour.

Tiaraprin, to answer the comment in your last post, if Reynard the moderator shows up he might well know some more details about the necklace. My expertise in jewellery tends to be in knowing some stuff about gems and minerals, not jewels themselves.

branchg 08-29-2005 12:24 PM

If you read Menckes' and Field's books (considered by far to be the most comprehensive study of the British royal jewel collection), it is clear that Diana possessed only emeralds, diamonds and sapphires in her personal jewelry collection. Her emeralds included Queen Mary's art deco choker with the Cambridge stones, several bracelets and earrings and a ring. She had one diamond necklace chain from the Saudi Arabians, many diamond bracelets and several rings/pendants.

Diana's favorite stone was sapphires, which she had many valuable pieces of, including her Sri Lankan sapphire pendant with pearls and two huge parures from Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. The parures were broken up later and reset into pieces she liked, such as the necklace in the pictures. This is quite common practice among the royal family, although it is usually done very discreetly as a matter of form.

Squidgy 08-29-2005 06:28 PM

Quote:

What I still find odd about these purple sapphires is that if this necklace is made out of a bracelet, then where is the original necklace? I mean the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia is not a poor man, so I can't see him being cheap and only giving Diana the earrings and the bracelet. He must have given her a purple sapphire necklace as well, but I have never seen it. And I would imagine that if Diana had been given such a necklace, then she would have had the courtesy to wear it at least once. Something just isn't ringing true here for me ...

Squidgy 08-29-2005 06:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

If you read Menckes' and Field's books (considered by far to be the most comprehensive study of the British royal jewel collection), it is clear that Diana possessed only emeralds, diamonds and sapphires in her personal jewelry collection.

Hopefully, these authors didn't forget to mention a ruby or two ... :)

Photos: Tim Graham/Hello Magazine

tiaraprin 08-29-2005 09:52 PM

Diana also possessed Pearls other than her Spencer choker. Charles gave her a pearl and diamond dog collar similar to Queen Alexandra's. A wedding gift from Charles also was a strand of grey pearls from Leo de Vroomen. The giant Sapphire Diana got from the Queen Mum was the centerpiece of a 7 strand pearl choker.

Also, the Oman jewels are not sapphires, they are said to be set with jet.

branchg 08-29-2005 11:06 PM

The Queen also gave Diana a pearl choker with a diamond centerpiece, a pearl and diamond bracelet and matching earrings.