The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Monegasque Princely History (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f193/)
-   -   The upbringing of Prince Rainier III and Princess Antoinette (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f193/the-upbringing-of-prince-rainier-iii-and-princess-antoinette-29929.html)

CasiraghiTrio 01-20-2011 12:49 PM

The upbringing of Prince Rainier III and Princess Antoinette

When I went to write this blog for Princess Antoinette's nonagenarian birthday last December, I realized how little I know about her. Very little is known even from books. We know about her brother's education, but not about hers. What was her childhood like? Where did she go to school? Did she go to school or was she home-schooled with tutors or a governess?
In one book, which I quoted in the blog, there is a suggestion that Charlotte of Monaco was not nice to her daughter, that Antoinette was made to suffer a lot of insecurities from her mother's treatment.

Elly C 02-26-2011 12:53 PM

The book Palace written by Christian de Massy provides some information about Antoinette's early years. Apparently she was raised by an English Nanny who was a cousin of Winston Churchill. Massy records that his mother didn't have a good relationship with either her father or her mother (Charlotte) who in turn had little time for her daughter. He further states that whenever tutors or governesses were appointed she found fault with them. She took up ballet, piano & tennis (under the world champion Martin Plas) but behaved in a temperamental fashion with her teachers pronouncing them as incompetent. More revealing is Massy's comments that she would eat enormous amounts of food for "psychological reasons", bloat up & then diet down to nothing with equal fanaticism. "she could never do anything by halves.."
If Massy's account is true, Antoinette appears to have had a very troubled childhood,

sandsla 03-17-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio (Post 1195115)
When I went to write this blog for Princess Antoinette's nonagenarian birthday last December, I realized how little I know about her. Very little is known even from books. We know about her brother's education, but not about hers. What was her childhood like? Where did she go to school? Did she go to school or was she home-schooled with tutors or a governess?
In one book, which I quoted in the blog, there is a suggestion that Charlotte of Monaco was not nice to her daughter, that Antoinette was made to suffer a lot of insecurities from her mother's treatment.

Yes, I would like to know more about her too, Thanks Elly C for the information. I don't see that many photos of her either?

CasiraghiTrio 03-21-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elly C (Post 1210476)
The book Palace written by Christian de Massy provides some information about Antoinette's early years. Apparently she was raised by an English Nanny who was a cousin of Winston Churchill. Massy records that his mother didn't have a good relationship with either her father or her mother (Charlotte) who in turn had little time for her daughter. He further states that whenever tutors or governesses were appointed she found fault with them. She took up ballet, piano & tennis (under the world champion Martin Plas) but behaved in a temperamental fashion with her teachers pronouncing them as incompetent. More revealing is Massy's comments that she would eat enormous amounts of food for "psychological reasons", bloat up & then diet down to nothing with equal fanaticism. "she could never do anything by halves.."
If Massy's account is true, Antoinette appears to have had a very troubled childhood,

Thank you so much. That was very helpful. I'm now writing an obituary for her. I'm having so much fun doing it. She was a fascinating woman.