The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   Prince Daniel as Regent? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f120/prince-daniel-as-regent-29417.html)

HMTLove23 03-01-2009 11:47 AM

Will Daniel be Able to Be Regent?
 
When they do Marry and Have an Heir...

If Victoria dies and The King Dies and the Heir is Not yet Able to succeed the throne. (i dont Know the How old he or she has to be to Succeed the throne in sweden) Would Daniel be Regent or would it have to be someone else. Because I read somewhere that he Cannot succeed Victoria because he is not of Royal blood. Please Help me understand This!

grevinnan 03-01-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMTLove23 (Post 901494)
When they do Marry and Have an Heir...

If Victoria dies and The King Dies and the Heir is Not yet Able to succeed the throne. (i dont Know the How old he or she has to be to Succeed the throne in sweden) Would Daniel be Regent or would it have to be someone else. Because I read somewhere that he Cannot succeed Victoria because he is not of Royal blood. Please Help me understand This!

He will not be the regent and it is not because of not being of royal blood. The next in line is P. Carl Philip and then Madeleine. I am not aware of any monarchy where the crown passes to the deceased regents spouse.

Stefan 03-01-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grevinnan (Post 901498)
He will not be the regent and it is not because of not being of royal blood. The next in line is P. Carl Philip and then Madeleine. I am not aware of any monarchy where the crown passes to the deceased regents spouse.

In the Netherlands Queen Emma became Regent when her husband died and her 10 years old daughter succeed as Queen. There ws a special law passed when Queen Beatrix succeeded to the Throne that if she should die before Willem-Alexander would reache the age of 18. Prince Claus could become Regent.

MAfan 03-01-2009 12:23 PM

The widows of Fernando VII and Alfonso XII of Spain became regents for Queen Isabel II and King Alfonso XIII.

HRHofNothing 03-01-2009 01:10 PM

I believe it depends on what the Government puts into place. If the King and Victoria both die before Daniel and Victoria's eldest is 18- than there is a possibility that Daniel will serve as regent for said minor Monarch. Daniel cannot succeed Victoria, Victoria will be succeeded by her children (if she has any) or Carl Philip.

Maura724 03-01-2009 05:20 PM

Unless Victoria announces otherwise, Carl Phillip would serve as regent. However, in Britain, Elizabeth decreed that, if she died before Charles was 18, Philip would serve as regent and not Margaret. I would assume Victoria would be able to do the same with Daniel if she chose to.

Lakshmi 03-01-2009 05:27 PM

It is quite common in European monarchies that if the ruling monarch dies, and a heir is still a minor, the spouse of such monarch becomes a regent. So, it is high probability that in similar scenario in Sweden, Daniel would became a regent.

Kotroman 03-01-2009 05:34 PM

But you have to understand the difference between regent and monarch. If Victoria becomes monarch and dies leaving a 13-year-old child, her child would be the monarch but an adult would serve as regent until the monarch reaches majority. If Victoria goes mad during her reign, another adult would serve as regent while Victoria would still be monarch. I hope this was clear enough. You should also see Wiki article about the term regent.

Lakshmi 03-01-2009 06:03 PM

Kotroman, is your post answer to my post or to Maura724's post?:ermm:
I understand that regent does not equal monarch. It applies only in scenario when the monarch is a minor, and can't rule because of that. So, say Victoria dies, her child is 13 only, that child is still formally a monarch, a regent is only "ruling" in a minor monarch's name. What I understand prince Carl Philip would became monarch only if Victoria dies with no kids left.

Kotroman 03-01-2009 06:06 PM

No, my post is answer to HMTLove23 ;)

MAfan 03-01-2009 06:10 PM

But I remember that when Prince Gustav Adolf died in 1947, leaving the courrent King as 1-year-old heir to the throne, if king Gustav Adolf VI would have died, the Regent would have been prince Bertil, the second in the Line of Succession, and not Princes Sybilla, the mother of Carl Gustav, and this is the reason of the delaied marriage of Bertil and Lillian, to make Bertil able to be regent if the King would have deid during the minority of Carl Gustav. If Bertil would have married Lillian at that time, he would have lost his rights to the Throne. So I don't know if Daniel will be able to be regent, hoping this eventuality will not exist.

Lakshmi 03-01-2009 06:20 PM

Thanks, MAfan for this interesting fact. I didn't know that. So, they have in Sweden some different tradition or precedence where the regent is not a spouse of a monarch that passed away. It makes Carl Philip probable regent if Victoria dies leaving a minor heir.

SoleS 03-01-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAfan (Post 901688)
But I remember that when Prince Gustav Adolf died in 1947, leaving the courrent King as 1-year-old heir to the throne, if king Gustav Adolf VI would have died, the Regent would have been prince Bertil, the second in the Line of Succession, and not Princes Sybilla, the mother of Carl Gustav, and this is the reason of the delaied marriage of Bertil and Lillian, to make Bertil able to be regent if the King would have deid during the minority of Carl Gustav. If Bertil would have married Lillian at that time, he would have lost his rights to the Throne. So I don't know if Daniel will be able to be regent, hoping this eventuality will not exist.

That is, I think, not entirely correct. The main reason for Bertil to delay his marriage so much was because at that time, had he married Lilian, he would have lost his place at the line of succesion, an that at time he was the ONLY one still in lime after Carl Gustav. In the event of Carl Gustav dying young an without heirs the swedish trone would have become vaccant had Bertil not waited so long to marry.
Lets remember that in those days only males could inherit the swedish trone, an that a morganatic marriage was not tolerated.
After Carl Gustav succeded to the trone an married he consented his uncle Bertil's marriage to Lilian and left his right to succede him intact.

grevinnan 03-01-2009 09:57 PM

I stand corrected.

Scanorama 03-02-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grevinnan (Post 901498)
He will not be the regent and it is not because of not being of royal blood. The next in line is P. Carl Philip and then Madeleine. I am not aware of any monarchy where the crown passes to the deceased regents spouse.

I am little bit confused. So if Victoria died and she has child(ren). Carl Philip (NOT Daniel) will become regent, but not King. While Victoria's eldest child is still the first in line to the throne?

MAfan 03-02-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scanorama (Post 901963)
I am little bit confused. So if Victoria died and she has child(ren). Carl Philip (NOT Daniel) will become regent, but not King. While Victoria's eldest child is still the first in line to the throne?

The child would be King/Queen, and Carl Philip Regent.

Blue_Stocking 12-03-2010 05:23 AM

Prince Daniel as Regent?
 
I know this is going to come across as stupid question but, it has been bugging me fo while, (I can't find an anwser on the net), and I wondered some one here might know so I thought I'd ask it anyway.

Can Daniel act as regent if nessicary (now or later on) or would CP and Madiline out rank him? I read in a Swedish paper, (DN if I remember rightly), that Daniel is entitled to an equiry because his not directly in line to throne does the same rule apply to the subject of who can/can't be regent.

grevinnan 12-03-2010 06:04 AM

Prince Daniel can not be a regent.

mattep74 12-03-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_Stocking (Post 1169819)
I know this is going to come across as stupid question but, it has been bugging me fo while, (I can't find an anwser on the net), and I wondered some one here might know so I thought I'd ask it anyway.

Can Daniel act as regent if nessicary (now or later on) or would CP and Madiline out rank him? I read in a Swedish paper, (DN if I remember rightly), that Daniel is entitled to an equiry because his not directly in line to throne does the same rule apply to the subject of who can/can't be regent.

Nope he cant is the short answer.

The long answer is:
The regent if the higher rankings are unavalible is
Victoria
Carl-Philip
Madeleine

Then we move to the political spectrum
Speaker of the house
PM

Charlotte_Aster 12-03-2010 05:31 PM

What if God forbid Victoria dies after she becomes Queen?... Because in other countries the "Queen Consort" acts as regent if the heir is underage..


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises