The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Family of Spain (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   The Spanish Royals and Bull Fighting (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f21/the-spanish-royals-and-bull-fighting-2934.html)

susan alicia 07-12-2004 08:51 AM

The Spanish Royals and Bull Fighting

Does the spanish royal family like bull fighting?

(I hate it, sometimes I catch a glimpse on tv and I find it upsetting)

xicamaluca 07-12-2004 09:19 AM

King Juan Carlos and Infanta Elena like bullfigthing (Jaime also). The late Countess of Barcelona (the King's mother) was a huge "aficionada". Queen Sofia doesn't like it, the same for Cristina (i think) and for Felipe (altough he assisted one few months ago with Letizia, but was because the Madrid's Festivities, "Fiestas de San Isidro", and the near wedding). The King and the Dukes of Lugo usualy assist to some of the races during this festivities.

laskaris 07-13-2004 04:47 PM

It is an element of the rich Spanish culture! It should be preserved as long as it lasts!!

Maca 07-16-2004 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by laskaris@Jul 13th, 2004 - 8:47 pm
It is an element of the rich Spanish culture! It should be preserved as long as it lasts!!
i agree with laskaris. bullfighting is an art, yes an art, older than many modern things we take for granted. being a vegetarian i found eating meat much worse than bullfights, the slaguhter houses employ horrible techniques and nobody says anything, but everybody is against bullfighting.

hrhcp 07-17-2004 12:55 AM

bull fighting is to Spain and Mexico and so on, what the rodeo is to the USA and Canada, what camel driving is to Arabia, cockfights to England, etc, etc, etc

carlota 07-17-2004 04:04 AM

well... imo, the fact that it's tradition isn't a good statement to support it. i think some traditions, like this one, have to be left behind...

laskaris 07-17-2004 05:09 AM

Let's say that this particular tradition is left behind,now ,this minute!! From tomorrow you may see criminality indicators go to the top!! it is not that simple!

hrhcp 07-17-2004 01:55 PM

Quote:

laskaris  Posted: Jul 17th, 2004 - 2:09 am

From tomorrow you may see criminality indicators go to the top!! it is not that simple!

That is a good point .... there are some who write that American Football is civilized barbarism .... a public way of demonstrating violence so that the public has a public way of releasing their violent intentions. A good design therefore, for each country to maintain a "tradition" that sheds the majority of those attitudes.

And interestingly enough, why is it, that we go touristing in other countries, only to adopt the attitude of forcing "our attitudes and prejudices down the necks of the countries we are visiting" ??????????????????

For touristing in, you could also substitute learning of, reading about.

Angel S. 07-29-2004 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by carlota@Jul 17th, 2004 - 4:04 am
well... imo, the fact that it's tradition isn't a good statement to support it. i think some traditions, like this one, have to be left behind...
It's a strange thing, being of Spanish background I like the event but I don't like what happends. Perhaps if it was modified a bit. You know like don't kill the bull.

Maybe instead of sticking it with a spear they could just try to paste things on & see how many things they can stick & keep on?

I dunno, I'm a simple mind, silly me. :rolleyes:

carlota 07-30-2004 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Angel S.@Jul 29th, 2004 - 7:46 pm
Maybe instead of sticking it with a spear they could just try to paste things on & see how many things they can stick & keep on?
it would be better, surely... however, it would be also better to leave the poor bull in peace. no one deserves a public mockery, and that includes also animals...

galuhcandrakirana 06-27-2005 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maca
i agree with laskaris. bullfighting is an art, yes an art, older than many modern things we take for granted. being a vegetarian i found eating meat much worse than bullfights, the slaguhter houses employ horrible techniques and nobody says anything, but everybody is against bullfighting.

I don't think every body against bullfightng otherwise it is not exist anymore;). Some people think that making the death comes in quick time (such as in a slaughtered house) is less cruel than hurting the animal little bit by little bit before they completely slaughtered it:( (like what somebody told me about what normaly happened to the bull at the end of the event).

LaChicaMadrilena 06-29-2005 02:00 PM

Have you seen the Pedro Almodovar's film "Hable con ella(Talk To Her)"? One of the main female characters is a bull fighter. Perfect Spanish movie.

CATS 07-08-2005 03:28 AM

I'm curious, I saw that the running of the bulls was going on in Spain. Does the RF of Spain take part or go to watch it? Are there pictures?

mtbcm 07-08-2005 05:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good Morning to you all.

I have never heard of Spanish Royal Family attending to The San Fermín Fair. Participating I think is completely out of question. It is so dangerous.

Regards.

CATS 07-08-2005 03:38 PM

Thanks, I didn't think they would partake but thought I would ask anyways.

carlfraley 01-08-2013 04:59 AM

HM VE abhorred it and when she had to go to it she had special glasses /binoculars made that were "tinted" so she would bring them to her eyes and the public wouldn't know she couldn't see anything?

Jacknch 01-08-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota (Post 115308)
it would be better, surely... however, it would be also better to leave the poor bull in peace. no one deserves a public mockery, and that includes also animals...

I completely agree with you.

I disapprove wholeheartedly the trapping and baiting of animals to a frightened enhaustion followed by a painful death, in the same way that I disapprove of dog-fighting, bear-baiting, the stoning to death of criminals and other apparently "cultural" or "customary" exploits that are cruel, unnecessary and which show a complete lack of empathy for a creature or person who has no way of escaping the fear and degradation of being set upon unfairly and without a choice.

I wonder whether the sport of bull-fighting would be as popular nowadays if the bull were replaced with a horse, dog, cat or indeed petty thief?