The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Royal Family of Serbia (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f261/)
-   -   Restoration of the Serbian Monarchy (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f261/restoration-of-the-serbian-monarchy-28206.html)

Marengo 12-28-2005 02:37 PM

Restoration of the Serbian Monarchy

I think, of all the kings-de-jure, Alexander is the one with the biggest chances on ever seeing his throne restored. A small chance though, but it would be absolutely lovely, he seems to be a very friendly and clever man.

What are his sons doing btw? studying I assume? Does anybody know where and what?

Princejohnny25 01-08-2006 02:18 PM

I do hope they restore the monarchy after the referendum this summer. It is most likely that Montenegro will win independence and a road map to independence will be drawn up for Kosove. It would be nice for Serbia to start fresh with a monarchy. It would enhance its image. The Crown Prince is such an asset to Serbia and he is not even legally there prince. He works on his own time with his own money for serbia and does a lot. He could really help Serbia integrate into Europe and change its image.

Benjamin 05-24-2006 01:52 PM

On the BBC the current Foreign Minister of Serbia & Montenegro, Vuk Draskovic, has also come out in support of restoring the monarchy.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5012986.stm

Toledo 05-26-2006 07:49 AM

A New Monarchy for Yugoslavia/Serbia?

While checking out the news on (the former Kingdom of) Montenegro seeking independence from Serbia I just found several news on a very active Serbian Prince finally fighting back to restore the monarchy in Yugoslavia, Bravo! About time another exiled royal decides to take action in giving the people an option besides a republic.

Toledo 05-26-2006 07:51 AM

Serbia - Independent Despite Herself

This week, Europe welcomes two new independent states: Montenegro and Serbia. This marked the end of the great Yugoslavia project. Repercussions of Montenegro’s independence seem to last for a while. Serbia discusses the restoration of monarchy. Many breakaway regions, not only those in the Balkans, openly envy Montenegro. Will these “side effects” of Sunday’s referendum put the regional stability in danger…
Hail to the new Serbian monarchy

Toledo 05-26-2006 07:52 AM

Monarchy for Yugoslavia
Serbia's Prince Aleksandar Kradjordjevic has called for restoration of monarchy in the troubled Balkan state.
The son of Yugoslav's late King Peter II made the plea yesterday (24.05.06).
It came three days after Serbia's ally state, Montenegro, voted for independence...

Crown prince proposes monarchy for Serbia
May 24, 2006 9:34 AM BELGRADE, Serbia-Montenegro-Serbia's crown prince on Wednesday wished Montenegrins peace and democracy after they voted for independence, and urged Serbs to restore the monarchy in their troubled Balkan republic...

Aleksandar Karadjordjevic, whose family ruled Serbia and the former Yugoslavia until World War II, said brining back the monarchy would help repair ties with the rest of Europe and attract investment to Serbia, now on its own after decades of failed Balkan partnerships. "Let's not waste any more time. Serbia must move ahead," Karadjordjevic said....

Serbia's crown prince wants to restore the monarchy
By UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL May 24, 2006
BELGRADE, Serbia-Montenegro -- Crown Prince Aleksandar asked Wednesday for the restoration of monarchy in Serbia, three days after Montenegro voted independence from their federation.

Prince Aleksandar Karadjordjevic, a son of Yugoslav King Peter II who died in exile, said Serbs and Montenegrins will always be brothers, regardless of whether they live in one or two states... "Kingdom of Serbia will provide the fastest way to the European Union and will attract new foreign investments, help economic development, ensure employment and social welfare," the prince said on Belgrade's B92 radio...

Toledo 05-26-2006 08:02 AM

Well, Prince Alexander, thanks on behalf of the fellow Spaniard monarchists and royal observers for the kind words about our Kingdom.

Natalija 05-31-2006 01:34 PM

Serbia a Kingdom of the Future...

There has been much specualtion in the past few days since Montenegro has voted to split apart from the union of Serbia & Montenegro. Speculation that Crown Prince Alexander wants to be King of Serbia. Many Serbs are very supportive, however, there is an issue with his Serbian speaking skills.
What are your thoughts? Should a monarch be capable of speaking the tongue of the people he leads?

ZIVELA SRBIJA! ZA KRALJA I OTAZBINU!

Von Schlesian 06-01-2006 03:48 AM

When people create a requirement that a immigrant speaks the language of the country in which they desire residency, then the same requirement ought to apply to people regardless of social position.

Please don't read my reply as an opposition to restoration of a Monarchy, I am fully supportive of any restorations (of constitutional monarchy).

Toledo 09-16-2006 08:03 PM

Any news or follow ups on the above information? I'm curious if the Crown Prince was able to keep the momentum on his attempt to restore the monarchy after the separation of Montenegro.

Benjamin 04-04-2007 11:53 PM

Heir to Throne Plans Return to Yugoslavia - New York Times (June 24, 1992)
Advice From a Prince: Milosevic Must Go - New York Times (September 29, 2000)

Marengo 04-05-2007 04:57 AM

Thanks for posting Benjamin. I wonder to what extend these statements on the website of the family are taken over by the press and published in Serbian newspaper et all. I have no clue on how 'visible' the family is in Serbia. These statements make it seem that they have a rather pominent role.

JPhinala 05-30-2007 08:16 AM

I've been wondering about that too, Marengo. By the looks of their website TRH seem to host a number of events with high profile guests and seem to be invited to a number of very important political events.
I've heard it mentioned that the new Serbia Constitution might very well propose a rerstoratoin, which would be exciting. I've also heard rumors (much less supported) of a restoration in Montenegro.
If you haven't been to their site I would highly recomend going. If nothing else it is very consistently updated.

Sladjica 05-06-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhinala (Post 619039)
I've heard it mentioned that the new Serbia Constitution might very well propose a rerstoratoin, which would be exciting. I've also heard rumors (much less supported) of a restoration in Montenegro.

Peoplle in here- Serbia, are still making some rumors about tham. They have a lot of work in here, but i dont think that they live here. I support their effort to make Serbia monarchy again- witch is more political question why i think that, but its just what i think after seen all those peoplle trying to lead our country...
But our Aleksandar's serbian langvige is very very bad! Katarina speaks serbian very well, and her humanitarian work is well known in here...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 351035)
I think, of all the kings-de-jure, Alexander is the one with the biggest chances on ever seeing his throne restored. A small chance though, but it would be absolutely lovely, he seems to be a very friendly and clever man.

Right now they are trying to get back the monarchy sistem in Serbia, and i support tham. I mentioned why i support it, but anyway i hope they will make it, they have my vote for sure! :-) :flowers:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 (Post 357235)
I do hope they restore the monarchy after the referendum this summer. It is most likely that Montenegro will win independence and a road map to independence will be drawn up for Kosove. It would be nice for Serbia to start fresh with a monarchy. It would enhance its image. The Crown Prince is such an asset to Serbia and he is not even legally there prince. He works on his own time with his own money for serbia and does a lot. He could really help Serbia integrate into Europe and change its image.

I have to tell you that i am nice supprised with your opinion... i didnt meet a lot USA peoplle who not just like, but support Serbia.. :flowers::flowers::flowers:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalija (Post 447270)
There has been much specualtion in the past few days since Montenegro has voted to split apart from the union of Serbia & Montenegro. Speculation that Crown Prince Alexander wants to be King of Serbia. Many Serbs are very supportive, however, there is an issue with his Serbian speaking skills.
What are your thoughts? Should a monarch be capable of speaking the tongue of the people he leads?
ZIVELA SRBIJA! ZA KRALJA I OTAZBINU!

I support him, but he has to learn serbian! Katarinas serbian is well, but his... :nonono:
ZIVELA!!!!! KOSOVO JE SRBIJA!

Marc23 07-25-2010 04:51 PM

Well,to be honest,as much as they try(more Katarina then Alexander) the chances of restoring the monarchy are close to none... :-(

Cory 07-26-2010 11:41 AM

I suppose serbians are not against Monarchy and even serbian politicians seem to respect the Royal Family very much.

Marc23 07-26-2010 08:56 PM

The majority of Serbians are against the monarchy...these present generations are not raised in the spirit of monarchy and that's why they don't like it!Just the few do...

Cory 07-27-2010 03:37 AM

I noticed very many groups of children, youth meeting with the Crown Prince and even Princess Katherina seems to be very popular.

The three young sons of the Crown Prince should know Serbian better and live in the country.

David V 07-27-2010 06:32 AM

The monarchy issue is far more part of political discourse in Serbia (at least two political parties are openly monarchist) than in other Balkan states. The reason for this is easy to understand- events of the last 20 years have been particularly demoralising, and many Serbs look for a rallying point. The Royal Family seems to have good relations with the country's present political establishment.

Cory 07-27-2010 09:25 AM

Which political party is openly against Monarchy?

NoorMeansLight 07-27-2010 09:45 AM

The restoration of the Serbian Monarchy would be a pleasant surprise IMO. I agree, the Serbians seem to be in need of a public figure they could rely on. If this person is indeed CP Alexander, then I hope he will bring the political stability they all desire!:flowers:

Cory 07-27-2010 09:57 AM

But his sons should learn Serbian!

RJ TAYLER 07-28-2010 03:32 AM

If his sons do not have a firm grip on their 'mother tongue' then we only have to wait till the next generation, thereafter I foresee no problem. The same situation existed, to an extent, in Great Britain during the Hanoverian Dynasty, it took only three generations for lingua status quo to be maintained. I also would like to see the CP attain his rightful place at the apex of Serbian society as well.

Anne83 07-28-2010 12:54 PM

CP Alexander and his Sons must learn the language and then help to restore the monarchy
I wish to see Serbia become a Kingdom again

Cory 07-29-2010 08:28 AM

Serbia is the European country where chances of Restoration are higher .

White Princess 08-02-2010 06:06 AM

If this were to happen, had happened.

jonc93 08-07-2010 02:58 PM

I was wondering where this is going? Does the Crown prince have a chance of a restoration?

David V 08-08-2010 12:19 AM

What is unique amongst the royal houses of the Balkans is that the Karadjordjevic played a vital role in Serbia's recovery of independence in the 19th century. Similarly the House of Petrovic-Njegos ruled Montenegro and preserved its independence, the House of Zogu under Zog I more or less unified and stabilised Albania.

Support for the Royal Family was strong among Serbian exiles during the Tito years.

When war erupted with the breakup of Yugoslavia, the Royals became a rallying point for many domestic opponents of the regime in Serbia. The stature of the family was raised amidst Serbia's many troubles in the years that followed, and restoration became part of some political parties' program, particularly around the time Slobodan Milosveic was deposed. Perhaps because people looked for a rallying point in time of demoralisation and discrediting of many politicians. So yes, the idea of restoration does have a degree of public support and remains part of political discourse.

Cory 08-20-2010 03:35 PM

Which political parties are officialy for the Restoration of Monarchy?

David V 08-20-2010 09:28 PM

At least two are explicitly monarchist, one of them currently in the government. And former foreign minister Vuk Draskovic is one of those calling for restoration.

Holland 08-23-2010 04:02 PM

Never! Ever, ever!!! Alexander is the damn nationalist and I'll never support him assuming the throne! Serbia must remain a republic.

Cory 08-27-2010 06:09 PM

Why do you consider Crown Prince Alexander a "nationalist"?Because he doesn't accept the "Kosovo independence"?

David V 09-02-2010 01:05 AM

I've heard Alexander say in interviews that he would be king for all citizens of Serbia regardless of their religious affiliation, etc.

jonc93 09-05-2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holland (Post 1127531)
Never! Ever, ever!!! Alexander is the damn nationalist and I'll never support him assuming the throne! Serbia must remain a republic.

Well considering you live in the Netherlands I don't think your opinion really matters to the Serbians or the Crown prince...

Warren 09-07-2010 12:12 PM

:previous:
Sorry, but we don't take that attitude here.
TRF is a community with an international membership.
All members have the right to participate and express their opinions in any discussion wherever they happen to reside.

Warren
TRF Admin

Cory 09-08-2010 05:28 PM

Crown Prince Alexander is orthodox but he respects catholics, protestants and muslim very much.His first wife ( Princess Maria da Gloria de Braganza-Orleans)is catholic.

Cory 11-03-2010 01:08 PM

Wonderful article:

PRESS CLIPPING

David V 11-06-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory (Post 1155048)
Wonderful article:

PRESS CLIPPING

Not a bad article, but it misses some very crucial points.

We can talk about recent events in Serbia, or at least concerning Serbia, which we can't go into greater depth about here. But the point is, Serbian politics and society is in a severe crisis because a whole generation or two of Serbs have grown up in times of war, violence, hatred, and national demoralisation. It's in this that the idea of restoring the monarchy resonates among many, including the political class. The need for unity in Serbia has never been greater.

The closest parallel to this is Georgia. Again, the issues there are very similar to Serbia.

MPD1 01-07-2011 05:57 PM

The chances of a restoration aren't too low, AFAIK. If Peter manages to master the language, then I don't see why the Serbians wouldn't want their King back. As an expatriot that's how I view it, our Pedja can do the job.

Lenora 01-07-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPD1 (Post 1187147)
The chances of a restoration aren't too low, AFAIK. If Peter manages to master the language, then I don't see why the Serbians wouldn't want their King back. As an expatriot that's how I view it, our Pedja can do the job.

Is the religion of Serbian pretenders to the throne Orthodox?

Marc23 01-07-2011 07:25 PM

Yes,although their mother is Catholic all 3 of them are Orthodox...

MPD1 01-08-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenora (Post 1187164)

All the Serbians are Orthodox Christians, Alexander's sons were christened into the Orthodox church as expected. The way I view it, there's no problem with their faith. The elder son just has to master the language, then they will have made a big step towards the restoration of the monarchy.

MPD1 01-08-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holland (Post 1127531)

Know what, I could just sit back enjoy my :coffee: or :wine: and judge the others' nationalism. :bang: :lol: Don't get me wrong, am just posting here to let u know that Kosovo is the cradle of the Serbian soul. Check it out in every history book. :-)

David V 01-09-2011 03:46 AM

http://www.royalfamily.org/press/pre...122010_eng.htm
Crown Prince Alexander makes his argument again.

MPD1 01-09-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David V (Post 1188478)
Zvanina internet prezentacija Kraljevskog doma Karaorevi
Crown Prince Alexander makes his argument again.

The last 2 paragraphs are spot on. A Constitutional Parliamentary monarchy these days doesn't equal = the abolition of democracy and of the laws that protect the human rights. He's spot on, I'm with him!

branchg 01-10-2011 07:16 PM

Yes, they must be Orthodox.

A restoration of the monarchy is highly unlikely in Serbia. The state and its democratic institutions remain quite weak and the majority of Serbians, especially young people, couldn't care less. They need jobs and a deregulated economy, not a King.

David V 01-10-2011 08:01 PM

Serbia's problem is that it is still coming to terms with the legacy of dictatorships (like other countries in the Balkans) and, more recently, of war. It has had an effect on a whole generation of Serbs, socially, economically and mentally. The current problem in Serbia is its political class, like that of other Balkan nations, does not inspire any trust or confidence from its population. Restoring the monarchy resonates with many because of this, because a head of state who is above politics would be better able to serve the nation's interests.

Crown Prince Alexander has done it the right way. Unlike Simeon in Bulgaria, who chose to go straight into politics, Alexander has kept away from it while presenting his case.

MGarf 03-23-2011 12:34 PM

BBC News - Serbia's Crown Prince Alexander II on his ties with UK

he has started his campaign for constitutional monarchy :)

An Ard Ri 03-24-2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGarf (Post 1219853)
BBC News - Serbia's Crown Prince Alexander II on his ties with UK

he has started his campaign for constitutional monarchy :)

I saw that interview on the BBC it was interesting.

monarhiero 04-26-2011 05:50 AM

There are major proponents now in Romania trying to push forward the restoration of the monarchy. It seems that support is increasing quite rapidly and even the presidential frontrunner, Crin Antonescu, is in favour of the monarchy.

What is the current status in Serbia? Is there strong will on the part of the people? Are there any official acts happening to restore the monarchy?

Just wondering which country will restore their monarchy first :)

Cory 05-04-2011 05:36 PM

Which main politions are in favour of Monarchy?

David V 05-11-2011 11:39 AM

Balkans.com Business News : 64% of Serbians polled vote for Monarchy over Republic

One poll, but it seems that many Serbs are definitely favourable to the idea of restoration.

Cory 05-11-2011 11:49 AM

Now depends a lot of the serbian politicians to fulfil the wishes of the people and abolish the republic.

monarhiero 05-15-2011 11:29 AM

Come on! Where's the political initiative? As Cory said, which politicians support the royal family?

Cory 05-15-2011 12:04 PM

In Serbia many of the members of the government seem to be royalist.

Sujit 05-19-2011 03:39 AM

I think that no one in the government have the guts to say "Hey, lets restore the monarchy"

David V 05-19-2011 10:02 AM

If Serbia can successfully restore its monarchy, of which it still has the best chances of any possible restoration, I feel it could set a precedent for other candidates for restoration.

In the last 20 years the existing post-Communist systems have failed to fulfill the aspirations of countries which are still dealing with a pretty awful legacy. If one must look back to move forward, then this is a good example. The last century hasn't been really kind for this part of Europe especially, so this would be a way of undoing the mess. Never mind that most monarchies in the last century have been unjustly deposed anyway.

CSENYC 05-22-2011 09:06 PM

That poll is huge- if no political parties are pushing for a monarchy, then the Royal Family should find a way to delicately push for it, without interfering in politics--sort of a catch-22, but surely it could be done.

Do Serbs vote for monarchy in the poll because they want a strong ruler and they think that a king would be a strong ruler? Or do they support monarchy because having a king with just ceremonial powers (like in Sweden and the UK) is a good thing?

As a non-Serb, I am not seeing how having a monarchy would enable Serbia to be more connected with Europe. If the Royal Family were Saxe-Coburgs or Bourbons or Glucksburgs then they'd have connections with other royal families and could maybe use that for some benefit, but I'm not seeing it.

jonc93 05-22-2011 09:49 PM

Actually CP Alexander is pretty well connected just as much as the Bourbons Gluckburgs and SCG. He is good friends of the British Royal Family, the Queen attended his Birthday Party in London. He's invited to major events in most European royal courts. I think he just needs to make some good marriages for his kids, but I doubt that will happen as he doesn't take them to many royal events, but Theodora Greece is very much single and good for one of his kids! ;)

roimat 05-27-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenora (Post 1187164)

Yes they are. Alexander's first wife was catholic until she married Alexander, so it's very logic that his 3 children are Orthodox...!

MagMil 05-27-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roimat (Post 1258744)
Yes they are. Alexander's first wife was catholic until she married Alexander, so it's very logic that his 3 children are Orthodox...!

I think that all of Serbian Royal Family are Orthodox :smile:

IRIS1983 05-27-2011 07:32 PM

the first wife of Alexander, Mara de la Gloria de Orleans-Braganza, became to the Orthodox Church like queen Queen Sofia but conversely, they were married in the Orthodox rite in Spain . I had the photos of this wedding with the patriarch and the crowns on their heads, I remember it..I have found it. ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting She was beautiful woman

Lenora 06-09-2011 11:35 AM

Balkans.com Business News : 64% of Serbians polled vote for Monarchy over Republic

Cory 06-09-2011 02:24 PM

Serbia has the best chances in europe to abolish the republic.

Odette 06-12-2011 02:27 PM

Both Prince Alexander and his wife are very involved (not politically) in the Serbian State and are prime examples of hard working royals.
I actually wonder what are the actual chances for the restoration of the monarchy in any Balkan State.

Renata4711 06-12-2011 02:55 PM

It will help him to have the British Royal Family on his side.
Elizabeth is his godmother.

Alexander, Crown Prince of Yugoslavia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Odette 06-12-2011 03:08 PM

:previous: I admire the fact that they both work so hard. The Princess Katherine is always there front and center doing all she can for the Serbian people.
If this was the late 1800 early 1900 perhaps the British Royal family would have an interest in helping them, however these days besides a Happy Birthday Godson card, I doubt they can expect much more from them..:flowers:

Marc23 06-19-2011 07:44 AM

Well,British royals of today have different function than 100 years ago,so I doubt they could help today in that way(restoration)...

After WW II it was Churchill who decided if Yugoslavia is going to be a monarchy or not...

There was also a proposition from Stalin to restore the monarchy,but under one condition:that Prince Tomislav(brother of King Peter II) succeeds as monarch which he,of course,declined...that would also mean that Yugoslavia would be under Iron courtain!

Odette 06-19-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc23 (Post 1269885)
Well,British royals of today have different function than 100 years ago,so I doubt they could help today in that way(restoration)...

After WW II it was Churchill who decided if Yugoslavia is going to be a monarchy or not...

There was also a proposition from Stalin to restore the monarchy,but under one condition:that Prince Tomislav(brother of King Peter II) succeeds as monarch which he,of course,declined...that would also mean that Yugoslavia would be under Iron courtain!

Stalin proposed a Yugoslavian Monarchy behind the Iron curtain? Very interesting, I never heard of this before..Do you have any books to refer me? I'd love to read more about it.

Marc23 06-19-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odette (Post 1269931)
Stalin proposed a Yugoslavian Monarchy behind the Iron curtain? Very interesting, I never heard of this before..Do you have any books to refer me? I'd love to read more about it.

Well,he didn't exatly propose to be a monarchy,but if Yugoslavia was to stay a monarchy he wanted Tomislav to be the King...

Destiny of Yugoslavia(if it was to be a monarchy or not) officially was dependant on British,Russian and American negotions...but,in fact it was dependant on Churchill!

After Tito/Subasic treaty Chuchill tried to "wash his hands" in front of King Peter II and said:"You know I don't like Tito...but he has the power and we have to count on that fact."

anion 06-23-2011 11:22 AM

Restoration in Serbia is not priority,but it would be great for country!
Prince Alexandar and his wife are very nice people,humanists! They can bring just benefit to people!

Marc23 06-24-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anion (Post 1271954)
Restoration in Serbia is not priority,but it would be great for country!
Prince Alexandar and his wife are very nice people,humanists! They can bring just benefit to people!

Well,the vast majority of people don't see them in that way,so I doubt they would have much chance,although she(Katherine) tries very hard!

pgm1952 06-26-2011 10:18 PM

Restoration is a nice idea for Serbia, but Europe seems to be in the midst of a growing crisis about the state of the EU, and the financial difficulties are not getting any better. A restoration proposal might just be laughed at by the the major powers what with all the bigger problems around Europe at the moment.

On the other hand, Serbia is a proud country but not a major power in Europe and a restoration may have no major implications to the current state of things. I am no expert on these current affairs but it is an observation.

Marc23 06-29-2011 04:56 AM

Unfortunately,no chance at all...vast majority of people just doesn't like CP Alexander and his wife and find them a bit "funny"...he gave a speach 2 days ago and got booed with people,among other things,shouted:"Learn how to speak Serbian."

YouTube - ‪Pobesneli prestolonaslednik Aleksandar Karadjordjevic‬‏

shappica 07-22-2011 04:00 PM

^ yup, no chance at all. Those polls that suggest that people are for monarchy are deceiving, no one really cares, and financially supporting the royal family is the last thing people would want to do in this struggling economy. (or ever for that matter, anti-monarchists are being more vocal in many other solid monarchies, why would anyone be that crazy to restore it?)

Also, the fact that prince doesn't speak good Serbian doesn't help him either. I mean seriously, if the family cared about tradition they could have taught their children Serbian. Being in exile doesn't mean anything, they spoke it.

Cory 07-22-2011 04:38 PM

Crown Prince Alexander learnt serbian in exile so ..

shappica 07-23-2011 09:54 AM

^ he's learned it in the last 10 years since they came back on the scene, he barely spoke it before. He doesn't speak it well now either (nor do his sons, who are supposed to be heirs) and that's why people see him and restoration of monarchy as a joke. I'm not saying that it's his fault, it isn't, his parents could have taught him the language but didn't. All I'm saying is that since that's the way things are there's no chance for that restoration. The language is not the only reason, people generally don't like him and his wife. Princess Jelisaveta is definitely more liked than them.

Madame Royale 07-23-2011 10:03 AM

I have no idea what was being said, but he got really quite irate, verbally, didn't he? He booed back and screamed at the crowd.

I'm rather takenaback by that. Seems to me that someone's a bit of a 'hot head'.

Cory 07-23-2011 12:57 PM

There could be communists who are against the Royal Family and do not want the Monarchy.

MAfan 07-23-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shappica (Post 1290931)
I'm not saying that it's his fault, it isn't, his parents could have taught him the language but didn't.

IIRC he has been mostly raised by his maternal grandmother Princess Aspasia of Greece and in his youth he was quite estranged from his parents; this could explain why he didn't learn Serbian well when he was young.

NotAPretender 07-23-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory (Post 1291001)
There could be communists who are against the Royal Family and do not want the Monarchy.

One does not have to be "communist" to be against monarchy.

It's pretty clear that the Serbian people are not enthusiastic about restoring a monarchy. I am actually eligible to hold Serbian citizenship, as they base their citizenship requirements similarly to Israel's right of return; some of my family lived in what is now Serbia until the 1940s. However, I would never avail myself of that option, as the Serbs participated in the wholesale extermination of my family in concentration camps that they set-up with the full knowledge and consent of Russia, beginning in 1944 and continuing through 1948.

Cory 07-23-2011 07:51 PM

I heard the polls say the majority of the population is in favour of the monarchy.

Franzium 08-09-2011 11:39 PM

I heard in a recent poll in Serbia 64 % are in favor of the monarchy instead of the republic..

Alexandrovich 08-10-2011 01:40 PM

I would like to have all the reasons why some people in some European countries where were abolished the monarchies want the Monarchies back? Well, I am about to do an essay about Restoration of the abolished monarchies in Europe. So I would like some reason to support. Because of the popularity? government? or something else?

Thank you...

Nevertheless, I am cheering the Serbian Royal Family back to the throne again, as well as the other abolished monarchies in Europe.

principessa 08-10-2011 02:02 PM

Are there any movements or plans to restore the monarchy in Serbia?

jonc93 08-10-2011 05:16 PM

I think Alexander and his sons lack of fluency in the Serbian Language might be what's keeping them back in all honesty! Do the Serbs want a King and Crown Prince who can not fluently speak the language? Alexander has been in Serbia so many years and he says he can speak the language fluently but he gives most of his interviews in English. I've never seen any videos of him speaking Serbian, if anyone has one please send the link my way! Honestly he and his soon need to learn to read write and speak Serbian and get out there and meet the people and perform official engagements. Without that I don't think the Serbian Monarchy will ever be restored without that. Does his son even live In Serbia? How can they have a Crown Prince that doesn't even live in the country...

Cory 08-12-2011 02:36 AM

I soppose you are totally right.

DWC 08-12-2011 10:21 PM

I dont know how well the Crown Prince and his sons speak Serbian I know on the Royal Families website the biographies for the sons say they are continuing their Serbian studies. As I believe they all work abroad I doubt they get much chance to practice. I do find a little strange that presumably they never learnt the language while they were growing up, but perhaps their father thought the Royal Family would never return.

I dont think Hereditary Prince Peter lives in Serbia I believe he still works in the USA. I wonder how well known he is in Serbia? not very I would imagine which could be a problem when he succeeds his father if there is still hope for restoring the monarchy. As he is the heir I personally think he should live in Serbia, hopefully oneday he will marry and raise his children in Serbia. Maybe a big royal wedding in Belgrade will capture the imagination of the public and help the push to restore the monarchy!

Cory 08-22-2011 06:06 PM

They'd better learn Serbian perfectly than being in contradiction with the Royal Family of Montenegro:

Zvanina internet prezentacija Kraljevskog doma Karaorevi

NoorMeansLight 09-11-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWC (Post 1302072)
I don’t know how well the Crown Prince and his sons speak Serbian I know on the Royal Families website the biographies for the sons say they are ‘continuing their Serbian studies’. As I believe they all work abroad I doubt they get much chance to practice. I do find a little strange that presumably they never learnt the language while they were growing up, but perhaps their father thought the Royal Family would never return.

I believe that too. It must be a very difficult language to master, particularly if one hasn't tried to learn it while growing up. I think it's also quite hard to pronounce most of the words rightly.
Apart from the SRF's linguistic skills, I think a restoration in the Balkans nowadays seems even more possible -- let's see if that could be Serbia. ;)

BeatrixFan 09-11-2011 09:55 AM

I'd like to see Alexander as Head of State in Serbia, I think he's worked hard to prove his loyalty to his homeland and he's doing all the right things to show that he's dedicated but I think a restoration can't be rushed and Alexander is doing the right thing at the moment. He has a certain amount of respect from politicians who consult him or ask his advice or keep him inform, he has the White Palace to reside in, his titles are recognized and he's able to do things he couldn't have dreamed of 30 years ago. So I think that it's a case of one step at a time.

Madame Royale 09-11-2011 11:07 AM

:previous: But he and his family inspire little interest and more scrutiny than anything. Recent footage, as but one example, show a clearly irrate Alexander caught in a slinging match with ordinary folk after they made their feelings known to him after a speech he had delivered to a gathered crowd. He actively engaged in an open dispute and his wife attempted to pacify him as one of his sons ushered to his side.

A deposed pretender really can't afford to throw his weight around if he should ever hope to regain any real social standing within Serbia. He walks a fine line between irrelevance to near non existance for a good many I'd imagine.

Whatever he feels like he's doing, evidently, it's not as far reaching as he may like and realistically, it never will be imo.

BeatrixFan 09-11-2011 11:32 AM

That's true, I haven't seen that footage but he has a very fine line to tread and more instances like that won't warm the people to him at all.

Marc23 09-11-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight (Post 1315168)
I believe that too. It must be a very difficult language to master, particularly if one hasn't tried to learn it while growing up. I think it's also quite hard to pronounce most of the words rightly.
Apart from the SRF's linguistic skills, I think a restoration in the Balkans nowadays seems even more possible -- let's see if that could be Serbia. ;)

No chance for monarchy in Serbia,believe me...I am Serbian,support monarchy and live in Belgrade,but that is the current state of things...

As for CP Alexander's Serbian...when he speaks it looks funny and people often make fun of him...unlike Princess Elizabeth whose Serbian is much better.Her brother Alexander speaks even better,but he lives in Paris far away from the spotlight and not many people know about him...

It's not good that CP Alexander failed to master Serbian considering that even his wife speaks Serbian much better than him and they live in Serbia now for 11 years...people often wonder how many other people can learn Serbian for much shorter time and their CP can't speak properly...

I met CP couple several times and can say that CP is a "jolly chap",but personally not really interested in taking the mighty job of restoring the monarchy,unlike his wife Katherine who is very,very ambitious about this question...and she is the "machine" of everything which is in a way good,but in another way not so much!

Cory 02-14-2012 07:45 AM

Which politicians are clearly royalists?

latinist 02-24-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc23 (Post 1315330)
No chance for monarchy in Serbia,believe me...I am Serbian,support monarchy and live in Belgrade,but that is the current state of things...

As for CP Alexander's Serbian...when he speaks it looks funny and people often make fun of him...

Let me give you an example: in 1866, in Romania came a german prince, who became "ruler prince of the romanian princedoms" at the beginning, during that time the romanian princedoms won their independency in 1877, it was 1881 when he was declared king of Romania and he ruled till 1914. That means 48 years, the longest reigning in the romanian history.
Do you think he spoke a word in romanian at the time he became head of state?
How well do you think he was able to speak romanian by the time of his death? Not even by then did he manage to speak the language really well, in almost 50 years! He still made mistakes. His nephew, who became king after him, did not have any greater achievements with the language either, still he tried and the people accepted and respected him as a king.

Another example: Greece had a king who came at the age of 18 from Denmark to the greak throne. He also didn't speak a word in greak. And he ruled for 50 years and was very loved and respected.

I know it's important for a monarch to know the language of the country he will be ruling, but I think that if we speak about monarchy restorations, we have to take into consideration the great differences between constitutional monarchy and republics, as forms of government.
We want to restore a monarchy because we are not satisfied with the way things go for a country as a republic, or do we want to restore a monarchy just because some of the heirs to a throne were "cool" or appealing, interesting or good looking and it seems to us they were more pleasant as a public person than the politicians that are now ruling?

Then there would be no difference from the situation in which we, people, vote for a guy to be president just because he laughs or grins in a more pleasant way than his opponent (this actually happened in my country, unfortunately for me, I was also "charmed" by his laughters).

I think the major problem is that a majority of people doesn't really know how a constitutional monarchy actually works, as a system. We are talking about an institution, not a person.

James VI 02-25-2012 07:02 AM

Unrealistic ambitions.

I have had an interest in the old Serbian/Yugoslav Monarchy for many years, i have a great deal of respect for Crown Prince Alexander and admire the work that he and his wife are doing, in Serbia. That said, he will never become King of Serbia. We need to move on. It is right that we should show the utmost respect and sympathy towards those Royal Houses who are no longer reigning, but surely our greatest concern is to support those last remaining Royal houses who are reigning, as this is of far greater urgency.

fearghas 02-25-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James VI (Post 1376129)
It is right that we should show the utmost respect and sympathy towards those Royal Houses who are no longer reigning, but surely our greatest concern is to support those last remaining Royal houses who are reigning, as this is of far greater urgency.

Why is it not possible to both support the reigning monarchs and support restoration? Don't understand why it has to be one or the other

Next Star 02-26-2012 12:33 AM

It was mention the tongue of Serbian is complex to learn it takes years to learn it.
I respect the crown prince for not going into politics while using other ways to try work to restore the monarchy.

James VI 02-26-2012 07:03 AM

One or the other.

To Fearghas - yes of course it is possible to do both and i admire those who commit themselves to restoration, but we surely must face reality. The political and social factors which have thus far prevented restoration in Greece, are even more acute in Serbia, Bulgaria, et al. Why, we should ask ourselves, is King Michael of Romania, the only former Monarch with any realistic chance of restoration, still no nearer to regaining his throne, more than twenty years after the fall of communism? I would love to see the House of Karadjordjevic restored in Serbia, to see the last stain of Titoism finally washed away, but i realise that this is probably just a pipe dream. I would rather focus all of my energies in support of those last few remaining Monarchies who are reigning, as this is not only more realistic, but ultimately, more rewarding.