The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Royal Family of Serbia (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f261/)
-   -   Crown Prince Alexander II current events: February 2005- (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f261/crown-prince-alexander-ii-current-events-february-2005-a-28201.html)

Julia 02-10-2005 10:52 PM

Crown Prince Alexander II current events: February 2005-

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...anderArms1.jpg

A new thread for the current events of Crown Prince Alexander II and Crown Princess Katherine

commencing February 2005

The previous thread can be found here

° ° °

Blueice 02-11-2005 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielle
Thanks Blueice. I didn't know that Alexander and Charles were friends, or the fact that QE II is his godmother. It's very nice that they publicly announced their congratulations to Charles and Camilla on their impending wedding. Do you think they will attend if they are invited? Did they go to Diana and Charles'?

You're welcome Danielle. :)
Yes, indeed - those are some of less known details from CP Aleksandar's biography. Here is a short quotation:

...On 17 July 1945 while living in Claridge's Hotel Queen Alexandra gave birth to a son - HRH Crown Prince Alexander II of Yugoslavia. As the heir to the throne at that time had to be born on Yugoslav soil the British Government under the orders of the Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill declared suite 212 in Claridge's Hotel Yugoslav territory. His Holiness Patriarch Gavrilo of Serbia baptized the newborn Crown Prince in Westminster Abbey. His godparents were King George VI and the then HRH Princess Elizabeth now HM The Queen Elizabeth II...

...HRH Crown Prince Alexander II was educated at Le Rosey (Switzerland), Culver Military Academy (Indiana, USA), Gordonstoun School (Scotland) and Millfield (England)...

Regarding the Royal couple attending Prince Charles' wedding - I believe there is no doubt about it. As far as I am informed they did attend almost all Royal weddings in the past, the one of Prince Charles and Lady Diana as well. I wish there are much photos available online - nevertheless I'll keep searching and will post them here if my search turns out successfully. :)

Blueice 02-11-2005 04:40 PM

THE CONFERENCE GREECE, SERBIA AND MONTENEGRO PARTNERSHIP INITIATIVE CLOSED IN ATHENS WITH GREAT SUCCESS

Athens, 10 February 1005 – The conference “Greece-Serbia and Montenegro Partnership Initiative” ended in Athens today. It was organized by the humanitarian organization Lifeline Hellas under the patronage of HRH Crown Princess Katherine, and with the support of the Greek and Serbian Governments and Institutions, as well as the Chambers of Commerce of both countries.

During the closing day of the conference the following workshops were organized: Legislation, Taxes, Privatization, Direct Investments, Energy and Mining, Banking, Finance and Insurance, Agribusiness, Real Estate, Information Technologies and Telecommunications, Public Works and Constructions, Tourism and Transportation; the business experiences has been exchanged, as well as ideas and expectations of Serbian and Greek side regarding different industries.

During the conference, representatives of the Serbian Government introduced to the potential Greek investors the investment opportunities in Serbia: current regulations, governmental plans, development programs, and the Greek side presented the concrete objectives of Athens in the regional cooperation adjusted to processes and standards of European integration.

A Partnership Agreement between the Chamber of Commerce of Belgrade and Athens Chamber for small and medium-size enterprises was signed at the Athens Hilton today.

Crown Prince Alexander II addressed them:

“I congratulate you from all my heart on this positive step of the two chambers, and it makes me really happy that this takes place here in Athens. We are in need of a successful economy in order to move forward. Without cooperation, there is no future. I must say, you can count on my full support and assistance, and it is crucial to work on this together”.

At the end of the working sessions, HRH Princess Katherine gave the closing remarks:

“Our people for years have been waiting for employment and a better future does not want promises any more. They seek for concrete actions and results. A strong economy is the guarantee for peace and stability. This conference in Athens represents assistance to the Government and the people, as the time has arrived when we have to seek jobs, as much as the international community has to comprehend the knowledge and capabilities for partnership from our people. The only way is to connect the fraternal country Greece with Serbia and Montenegro. The Greek Government has supported us and we have to build a bridge between these two countries. The relationships established in Athens have to continue. We have to use them, as everything is now up to us. Furthermore, I have to say that the presence of Mr. Boris Tadic, President of Serbia contributed to the conference success, as well as the presence of a large number of Ministers from the Serbian Government. I thank the government and all participants of this assembly, I thank the people who have confidence in such initiatives that my husband HRH Crown Prince Alexander II and I take in a good will to help our people, pointed out Princess Katherine in her closing remarks.

The Conference “Partnership Initiative Greece and Serbia and Montenegro” included the exhibition in the Athens Hilton where Serbian companies were represented at stands among which were: the Serbian Chamber of Commerce, “Knjaz Miloš”, “Bambi”, “Next”, “SIEPA”, “Dunav Grocka”, “Trayal”, ’’Privatization Agency”, ’’Stara Sokolova’’ plum brandy, ’’Parking Servis’’, ’’Institute for transportation’’, ’’New Moment’’, ’’TeleGroup’’, ’’SAGA’’, ’’Comtrade’’, ’’Microsoft SCG’’, Chamber of Commerce Vojvodina, City of Niš.

At this conference, the biggest one organized abroad, where the Serbian economy has presented itself the Greek response was remarkable and exceeded all expectations. More than a hundred Greek business people were present at the workshop on the legal frame in Serbia and Montenegro, which is proof of great interest for investments that exists among from the Greeks.

The biggest financial papers in Athens announced today that the Greece would invest in Serbia 1.2 billion euros, which is a great encouragement for our economy and a proof of being a right partner in strong competition in the region.

At the very end of the conference, HE Milan Parivodic, the Minister of International Economic Relations of Serbia, stated that with the help of family friends of HRH Crown Prince Alexander II and Princess Katherine conferences like this one might be also organized in Great Britain, as well as in some otherworld centres of economy.

The Humanitarian organisation “Lifeline” and the Foundation of HRH Princess Katherine thank all sponsors and participants of the Conference.

Danielle 02-12-2005 09:37 PM

Thank you! I forgot that minor detail (cough cough) about the hotel. Oops! :p I have looked for photos as well, but I haven't had much luck. I too will continue looking, and hopefully one of us will find something. Thanks for the article as well.

Natalija 02-15-2005 12:25 PM

Hello all:

A few days a go I found a website with a wedding photo of Crown Prince Alexander and Maria Da Gloria circa 1972. Does anyone happen to have the link? I think it would be a nice addition to this thread.

Thank you and best regards.

Blueice 02-15-2005 01:48 PM

Hello Natalija, welcome to TRF! :) I'm afraid I can't help you with that paritcular link - I realize that photo(s) form the wedding exists although a very few of them can be actually found online. I believe there is one of the photos from CP Aleksandar's wedding to Maria Da Gloria on the 2nd or 3rd page of the previous 'Royal families of Yugoslavia' thread, not a very good one unfortunatelly. I'll try to locate the first thread in the 'Archeive' and to place the photo here.

As far as I know there is no photos of CP Aleksandars first marriage on the official web site of the Royal family: www.royalfamily.org . Indeed, it would most certainly make a very nice addition to this thread if we manage to find more of them.

Natalija 02-15-2005 01:51 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/pa4/verenar...aganzawed.html

I finally found it!

Blueice 02-15-2005 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here they are - the wedding photo of CP Aleksandar and his first wife Princess Maria da Gloria of Oreans-Braganza and the link to the previous thread of Yugoslavian Royalties (with many interesting aricles, historical informations and nice photos):

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1658

Photo: The Wedding of Crown Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia (*1945) and his first wife Princess Maria da Gloria of Orleans-Braganza (*1946) - divorced, both remarried.

Julia 02-15-2005 02:32 PM

Question: why did Alexander and Maria divorce?

Julia 02-15-2005 02:55 PM

I've also created a thread on the royal jewels of Yugoslavia here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5174

Blueice 02-15-2005 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia
Question: why did Alexander and Maria divorce?

That's a very good question Julia - I guess most of the Royal watchers here in Serbia have been wondering the very same thing. However, there are less than few information available regarding the factual or possible reasons for divorce and I doubt that any official statement was released in respect either. Since CP Aleksandar was still living in London at the time when his first marriage was ended there is no information about this subject in a domestic press' archives or other public sources. I guess the real reasons and their particular nature will remain beyond the public knowledge.

They were, I agree, a very cute and charming couple and having such a lovely family - three adorable boys - together, certainly must of made their decision to put an end to their marriage that lasted 13 years even more difficult. I guess that, unfortunately, even Royal fairytale doesn't always have a happy endings.

Natalija 02-15-2005 03:21 PM

Usually, the 13th year is the hardest in a marriage, not that the others aren't tough.

Que Sera Sera

Julia 02-15-2005 03:27 PM

Thank you for the response, Blueice. Quite true that not all royal fairytales have happy endings...

While it is a shame that Aleksandar and Maria divorced it seems (is this correct?) that Princess Katharine has been accepted by her step-sons and that she and the crown prince are very happy.

Also, did Maria move back to Brazil?

Natalija 02-15-2005 04:22 PM

Does anyone know if Princess Katarina has any children of her own? Or is this her first marriage?

Danielle 02-15-2005 04:38 PM

That you everyone for the information! This thread has taken off. Finally! I read that Maria went to Spain and that the boys often go and visit her and her family. I may be wrong and I will have to double check this.

I found this article with Alexander about his marriage to Maria: http://www.royalfamily.org/press/press-det/stampa-684.htm
Here is an important part.

"What did you know about Mici Lou at that time and did you meet her?
- No comment.

After his father’s death and leaving the army where he had the rank of a captain, Crown Prince Alexander got married to Princess Maria da Gloria from Orleans and Braganza, of the Brazilian Imperial House, in 1972. The wedding took place in Spain, but the newlyweds soon went to live in Brazil.

- We lived in Rio de Janeiro and I worked with an American company in advertising. I also spent sometime time in London and New York. Later on I went into insurance and we moved to Chicago in 1976. Peter was born in Chicago in 1980.

How did you meet your first wife, and what did she do?

- I met Maria da Gloria in 1971 on holiday in Portugal when staying with King Umberto of Italy at his house in Cascais. Maria da Gloria worked in Chicago for fashion then she took art courses. We moved to Virginia in 1981 and Philip and Alexander were born in 1982 there. Our marriage broke up in 1983.

What went wrong in your marriage? The divorce certainly was not an easy decision regarding that you had three young children?

- You are right in saying that the divorce was a tough one for three beautiful children. There are times when things don’t work out and this was one of them. The friendship and relationship between all of us is warm and excellent. Katarina and Maria da Gloria are friends and we see each other occasionally. Katarina had been like true mother to the boys and everyone deeply appreciates her loving care.

At the time when Alexander and Katherine met at a Washington restaurant (“It was love at first sight”), the Crown Prince was friends with all the members of Karadjordjevic family.

- My relationship with all family members was warm and nice when living in exile. Prince Tomislav and Princess Margarita were very good and caring to me as well as Princess Linda. Prince Paul and Princess Olga were always very good to me and I would visit them in Paris and stay with them in their house. I would also see Prince Alexander and Princess Barbara and Princess Elizabeth and we would always be very happy together. I rarely saw Prince Andrew who was living in California, but when I saw him it was very nice. "

Danielle 02-15-2005 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalija
Does anyone know if Princess Katarina has any children of her own? Or is this her first marriage?

I'm sure she has kids, because I remember Prince Philip saying he liked visiting them and being an older brother. I am trying to find this article. I'll let you know if I find it.

Danielle 02-15-2005 04:46 PM

Ok, I have found it. Phew! :p

http://www.royalfamily.org/press/pre...litika_eng.htm The first photo with them covered in tinsel is very sweet. :)

"- We were with our mother and stepfather in Spain, in Villa Madriche della Fondesa where my brother and I were baptised - says Philip. Beside our mother and stepfather there were also our grandmother and grandfather on our mother's side and our two half-sisters, and we really had great time. The elder sister is sixteen and her name is Sol, which means Sun, and the younger is fourteen and her name is Luna, which means Moon.

- They are like real sisters to us - continues Alexander. - Unfortunately I can't go there as often as Philip and Peter because I live in America. Although I like to travel and to go different places, I can't make it to be everywhere.

Staying in Spain was a good opportunity for Philip to practise his Spanish, which he is studying:

- Of course, it's the best possible way to learn a language. Since I'm studying Serbian, I shall spend more time here in the future, not only for holidays, but as often as I can. "

Natalija 02-15-2005 04:52 PM

Thank you for the info. So, now that we know Princess Dona Maria da Gloria has more children, but does Princess Katarina have any? Or is her marriage to Prince Alexander her first marriage?

Best regards...

Danielle 02-15-2005 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalija
Thank you for the info. So, now that we know Princess Dona Maria da Gloria has more children, but does Princess Katarina have any? Or is her marriage to Prince Alexander her first marriage?

Best regards...

Katherine has children as well. From www.royalfamily.org

"Her Royal Highness was previously married and has two children David and Alison. Alison has four children: Amanda, Stephanie, Nicolas and Michael and they live in Greece."

Often there are photos of Alison posted. She seems to be very close to her mother and is often involved in various 'royal' events.

Julia 02-15-2005 09:25 PM

Great information Danielle! I wonder if Aleksandar and Maria lived in Petropolis (beautiful, beautiful city) or directly in Rio de Janeiro?

So, Crown Prince Aleksandar must speak Spanish, Portugese, Serbian, English and anything else???