The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f185/)
-   -   Death and Funeral of Jörg Sommerlath; February 2006 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f185/death-and-funeral-of-j-rg-sommerlath-february-2006-a-27654.html)

GrandDuchess 02-18-2006 01:27 PM

Death and Funeral of Jörg Sommerlath; February 2006

The Queen's youngest brother has passed away

This evening, Swedish media reports that the Queen's youngest brother - Jörg Sommerlath - has passed away. The Director of the Information and Press Office at the Royal Court has announced that the King will leave the Olympics in Turin to go to Germany to be with his wife and family.

Jörg Sommerlath passed away today Saturday from his cancer, despite various treatments he didn't make it. He became 64 years old and leaves behind a wife and two daughters (in their teens).

Yennie 02-18-2006 01:31 PM

Thats sad... may he rest in peace.

Are both Victoria and Carl Philip with their mother in Germany?

Alexandria 02-18-2006 01:39 PM

His children are so young. It's always difficult to hear about people passing but it's even harder when their children are so young.

I'm glad though that the Queen was able to spend so much time with her brother in the end and was with him at the time of his passing.

SusanneSNS 02-18-2006 04:29 PM

Very bad news!

It is really sad that the Queen's brother lost his fight against the cancer.

All my thoughts are with his family, with his wife and daughters, and with his brothers and sister.

May he rest in peace!!!

Beate 02-18-2006 04:39 PM

That is such sad news..How old are Joerg Sommerlath's children?
My condolences to all the family.

Lena 02-18-2006 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beate
That is such sad news..How old are Joerg Sommerlath's children?
My condolences to all the family.

Helena is 15 and Vivian is 13...so still very young. This is so sad :(

Emily 02-18-2006 09:25 PM

How very sad. I, too, am glad the Queen was able to with him so much at the end.

kwanfan 02-18-2006 10:49 PM

My deepest sympathies to Queen Silvia and her family. :(

elmabruin 02-19-2006 04:31 AM

My Condolences to the Swedish Royal Family

ursulajohanna 02-19-2006 05:20 AM

It is really sad that the Queen's brother lost his fight against the cancer.

All my thoughts are with his family, with his wife and daughters, and with his brothers and sister.

May he rest in peace!

purple_platinum 02-19-2006 12:42 PM

How very sad... It's a long fight against his illness, isn't it?
The Queen, despite being remorsely sad, must be glad she stayed behind to be with his brother.
Any news on the royal children (victoria, carl philip, maybe madeleine) on accompanying their mother or going for the funeral?

GrandDuchess 02-19-2006 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purple_platinum
How very sad... It's a long fight against his illness, isn't it?
The Queen, despite being remorsely sad, must be glad she stayed behind to be with his brother.
Any news on the royal children (victoria, carl philip, maybe madeleine) on accompanying their mother or going for the funeral?

Yes, he had been fighting against the cancer since December 2004, when he was diagnosed. I'm glad that the Queen has been able to spend so much time together with Jörg these past months, before he passed away.

Nothing have been reported about the funeral arrangements yet, I guess it will take some time for the family to decide on how to handle things. The King left Turin yesterday, Saturday, only a day after he arrived.

Aftonbladet today wrote that Crown Princess Victoria cancelled her attendance at Princess Christina and Tord Magnusson's moving out party at Villa Beylon which they supposedly hosted yesterday. I guess she did so because of the loss of Jörg, and maybe she has joined the family in Germany/Belgium now.

Even if we don't know any more detail about any funeral arrangements etc, I would though guess that the royal children will all attend the funeral whenever it will take place, but I think it will all be handled very privately within the family.

Lena 02-19-2006 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
Even if we don't know any more detail about any funeral arrangements etc, I would though guess that the royal children will all attend the funeral whenever it will take place, but I think it will all be handled very privately within the family.

I remember that the press had photos from the funerals of Silvia´s parents. I really hope the press won´t make pics this time. This is my personal limit. When you make a state funeral, you are aware of being watched of cameras, but private funerals and with them going emotions should be really allowed to be kept private!

SusanneSNS 02-20-2006 06:01 AM

Exactly what I thought!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena
I remember that the press had photos from the funerals of Silvia´s parents. I really hope the press won´t make pics this time. This is my personal limit. When you make a state funeral, you are aware of being watched of cameras, but private funerals and with them going emotions should be really allowed to be kept private!

Thank you, Lena, for your clear words. That's exactly what I thought. I hope that the press will leave the family alone with their emotions and tears.

I really always love to see new pictures of the Royal Family, but not from a private funeral.

Lets hope that the press will understand this, too.

Olka 02-20-2006 09:52 AM

Hola wrote about Jorg's death today: http://www.hola.com/casasreales/brev...l?currentImg=0

They also say Queen Silvia stayed with him in hospital, she cancelled her journey to Turin. I feel sorry for her, she must be very touched and sad because of her brother's death....

Yennie 02-21-2006 12:40 PM

So, I guess there will be very quiet on the swedish front for a while, the royal couple were supposed to be in Turin for one and a half week and now thats been cancelled...

does anyone know what will be their next official apperance?

purple_platinum 02-23-2006 05:56 AM

a photo of Queen Silvia with her late brother, Jorg Sommerlath

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/784...8silvia5ac.jpg

(from billet bladet)

Lena 02-23-2006 08:38 AM

The funeral of Jörg Sommerlath will take place tomorrow (Friday) in Handschuhsheim (part of the german town Heidelberg). His last resting place will be the family grave of the Sommerlaths, where already his parents are buried.
The funeral is planned to be private. Of the Royal family the Queen, the King, Carl Philip (wasn´t Jörg his godfather?) and maybe Crown Princess Victoria will go. After the funeral the King and Carl Philip will go to Turin.

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=532884

Yennie 02-23-2006 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena
The funeral of Jörg Sommerlath will take place tomorrow (Friday) in Handschuhsheim (part of the german town Heidelberg). His last resting place will be the family grave of the Sommerlaths, where already his parents are buried.
The funeral is planned to be private. Of the Royal family the Queen, the King, Carl Philip (wasn´t Jörg his godfather?) and maybe Crown Princess Victoria will go. After the funeral the King and Carl Philip will go to Turin.

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=532884

Imo its a bit strange that this information goes out to the press, but isnt mentioned on www.royalcourt.se.

Does anyone know how the papers get this information? Do they call Nina Eldh? Or does she contact them?

Lena 02-23-2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie
Imo its a bit strange that this information goes out to the press, but isnt mentioned on www.royalcourt.se.

Does anyone know how the papers get this information? Do they call Nina Eldh? Or does she contact them?

I´m pretty sure the newspapers called the press office at the court. This is common practice and a big part of the work of the press department.
I think it´s only wise not to mention these things on the official page. So they set a clear sign, that they want the funeral to be private.

BTW as I get it from various pages everyone can call the press department...if you get an satisfying answer is though questionable.

According to Daniel Nyhlén on TV4.se also Madeleine will participate in the funeral. She landed today in Sweden and will go to Heidelberg for tomorrow. On Saturday she will go back to the USA.

http://www.tv4.se/kandis/446558.html