The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royal History (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f165/)
-   -   English/British Historical Royal Scandals (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f165/english-british-historical-royal-scandals-27037.html)

EmpressRouge 02-02-2010 02:14 PM

English/British Historical Royal Scandals

Alix and Minnie never forgave their youngest sister, Thyra, for allowing her son to marry a Prussian - and the daughter of the much hated Wilhelm no less! Thyra seems to be the forgotten sister, with Alix and Minnie being so beautiful, glamorous and beloved in their adopted countires and being so close with one another. After the scandal of having a child out of wedlock with a commoner, Thyra was always in the shadow of two sisters that made fabulous marriages (although she did have a chance to become Queen of the Netherlands).

CarolinaLandgrave 02-02-2010 03:31 PM

Thyra had a chance to become Queen of the Netherlands? How did Queen Louise ever let that slip through her fingers????? Even with the illegitimate child she had (in Greece, correct??)

jonnydep 02-02-2010 03:48 PM

:previous:
the dutch suitor was none other than king william III, not even the prospect of the dutch crown could compenstate for the fact that the widowed king was thirty-six years older than the princess, thyra refused him......

CarolinaLandgrave 02-02-2010 04:21 PM

Ahhh..... I guess even a mother's pushing doesn't make up for the fact that he was old enough to be her father.... and I guess Thyra had some gumption to resist and give up a throne...
But thanks for that info, Johnny - I did not know that William III was in the running for the hand of Thyra

EmpressRouge 02-02-2010 07:29 PM

The recently widowed William was looking for a second wife but was famously bad tempered. He and his first wife, Sophie of Wuttemberg had an unhappy marriage. He was not only rejected by Thyra but also by Pauline, his second wife, Emma's sister.

CarolinaLandgrave 02-02-2010 08:14 PM

He must have been a real ornery rascal!!

Vasillisos Markos 02-07-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaLandgrave (Post 1047185)
Thyra had a chance to become Queen of the Netherlands? How did Queen Louise ever let that slip through her fingers????? Even with the illegitimate child she had (in Greece, correct??)

Queen Alexandra had an illegitimate niece or nephew born in Greece?

CarolinaLandgrave 02-07-2010 07:53 PM

Princess Thyra had a child, a daughter, before she married

Vasillisos Markos 02-08-2010 04:04 PM

Where was this child born? Any idea who the father may have been? Just curious . . . :whistling:

jonnydep 02-08-2010 04:38 PM

Thyra's supposed child ?

sometime in 1870, thyra fell in love with a danish army officer named wiilliam frimann marcher.....it is rumoured that she gave birth to his daughter around christmas 1871 in athens.

marcher was not allowed to see the princess nor the newborn child and after a heated discussion with her father the king, marcher hanged himself in january 1872.......

what become of this daughter, i have no knowledge !!

Vasillisos Markos 02-08-2010 05:27 PM

Jonnydep,

Thanks for the additional information. I googled the name of Marcher and discovered this link:

Princess Thyra of Denmark: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

According to this source, the child was born in Denmark, named Maria, adopted by a couple from Odense, renamed Kate, and died in 1964.

What I find remarkable, considering the mores and dictates of society, was how Thyra managed to meet and have intercourse without being discovered. Kudos to her for pulling it off (no pun intended) but how sad that she could not marry, that the child was put up for adoption, and that her lover killed himself.

Furienna 02-08-2010 07:03 PM

Vasilios, you took the words right out of my mouth. I too was surprised, that a princess in the 19th century was able to be alone with a man before marriage. I thought they were too heavily supervised. It sure is a sad story, anyway.

Zonk 02-08-2010 07:24 PM

Thyra was not the first unfortunately.

There was a sister of King George III, Caroline Mathilde of Denmark who was married to the King of Denmark and had an affair, right under her husbands nose and had a daughter with her lover. That was a big scandal at the time. And then another one of his George's daughters, her name escapes me at the moment.

CarolinaLandgrave 02-09-2010 08:45 AM

George III's daughter....
Sophia or Amelia, I think, Zonk.

jonnydep 02-09-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos (Post 1049257)
...According to this source, the child was born in Denmark, named Maria, adopted by a couple from Odense, renamed Kate, and died in 1964.

you are very welcome....
and thanks for the wonderful link !!
its somewhat odd we have now two differant birthplaces for the child though. my source (for athens) is the book "little mother of russia" by coryne hall.

i even have a third birthplace stated in the book "northern crowns" by john van der kiste......rumpenheim, a family home of the hesse-cassel family !!. this author also states that marcher had shot himself !!

the mind boggles !!

jonnydep 02-09-2010 03:01 PM

other supposed scandal's within Alexandra's family

back in 1861, the baron stockmar, the mentor of the coburgs, had expressed his doughts concerning the proposed match between the prince of wales and princess alexandra of denmark.

he wrote a letter to the queen and prince albert, where by he stated that "one of the heads of the family was insignificant and a imbecile and the other is of lax principles and has the charcteristics of an intriguer !! "

queen victoria (who liked unearthing wickedness) assumed that baron was inferring to hidden scandals within the glucksburg and the hesse-cassel families.

the queen was later appalled to discover the following rumours.....
1, prince christian was involved in a financial scandal.
2, princess louise had had a illegitimate child.
3, princess alexandra had many flirtations with young army officers, one of whom was removed in consequence.

the queen asked for the rumours to be checked and had surprising results...
1, yes prince christian had been in financial difficultries in 1856, due to him playing the part of the heir to the danish throne on a pittance, his income was only 800 a year, the danish royal family had helped him out !!
2, the illegitimate child was traced to the bed of princess louise's sister, marie, later princess of dessau. btw its worth noting that her mother, the landgravine of hesse-cassel had encouraged her in her passion for a groom, with disastrous results....could queen louise have done the same with princess thyra's romance with marcher ?
3, yes the sum of alexandra's flirtations was that one young army officer had fallen violenty in love with the princess and it had been thought wiser to post him away........

Russophile 02-09-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnydep (Post 1049233)
sometime in 1870, thyra fell in love with a danish army officer named wiilliam frimann marcher.....it is rumoured that she gave birth to his daughter around christmas 1871 in athens.

Minnie's book has some of this knowledge as well. "Little Mother of Russia" by Coryne Hall.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonk (Post 1049276)
Thyra was not the first unfortunately.

My friend Peter (Kurth, author of Anastasia the Riddle of Anna anderson) said it was not uncommon for the nobility and royalty to have children out of wedlock, they just couldn't TALK about it. Or acknowledge it. That was a big social taboo.

CarolinaLandgrave 02-09-2010 07:56 PM

You always have the BEST info, JonnyDep

Katrianna 02-10-2010 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaLandgrave (Post 1049594)
You always have the BEST info, JonnyDep

I wholeheartedly agree, fascinating information jonnydep.:smile:

Vasillisos Markos 02-10-2010 10:27 PM

Surely there must have been some confederates who assisted these royal women with their assignations. Someone who could explain an absence or perhaps a flushed face . . . . :-)