The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal House of Norway (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   May 17, 2003 - National Day (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/may-17-2003-national-day-26851.html)

Mandy 05-17-2003 11:13 AM

May 17, 2003 - National Day

10 Attachment(s)
May 17, 2003 - National Day - The Royal Family wave to the crowds from the palace balcony. (Scanpix)

Palace Balcony - Mette-Marit & Haakon. ( www.nrk.no)

Palace Balcony - Mette-Marit waves to the crowds. (www.nrk.no)

Palace Balcony - Mette-Marit. (Scanpix)

May 17, 2003 - At Skaugum - Mette-Marit & Haakon watching the marchers. (www.nrk.no)

At Skaugum - Mette-Marit. (www.nrk.no)

At Skaugum - Mette-Marit. (www.nrk.no)

At Skaugum - Mette-Marit & Haakon. (Scanpix)

At Skaugum - Mette-Marit & Haakon stand on the steps of Skaugum as the "Russ" or Graduating Class march by as others have done in previous years. (Scanpix)

At Skaugum - Mette-Marit & Haakon watching the marchers. (Scanpix)

Mandy 05-19-2003 11:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Polfoto 17-05-2003 Kolbotn, Norway May 17: The Norwegian National Day King Harald and Queen Sonja meet the people on Kolbotn, East of Oslo.
Photo: Epsen Röst/Dagbladet/All Over Press Norway

Polfoto 17-05-2003 Kolbotn, Norway May 17: The Norwegian National Day King Harald and Queen Sonja meet the people on Kolbotn, East of Oslo.
Photo: Epsen Röst/Dagbladet/All Over Press Norway

hrhcp 09-27-2003 05:55 PM

I'd be curious to know if there any other members on this MB besides me who have been caught up in May 17 celebrations, and what their most vivid impact/memory of this event is?

thissal 09-27-2003 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by haakon2@Sep 27th, 2003 - 2:55 pm
I'd be curious to know if there any other members on this MB besides me who have been caught up in May 17 celebrations, and what their most vivid impact/memory of this event is?
What is May 17th mean in Norway, other than Flag Day, whatever that means? What does it mean to you and what are your most vivid memories of that day? :innocent:

USCtrojan 09-28-2003 10:47 PM

I am not a MM fan, but, I must say she looked beautiful in those photos. That hat is gorgious and the suit looks nice...

bmt 11-25-2003 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by thissal@Sep 27th, 2003 - 6:49 pm

What is May 17th mean in Norway, other than Flag Day, whatever that means?  What does it mean to you and what are your most vivid memories of that day?  :innocent:

Grunnlovsdag means Constitution Day. On the 17th of may in 1814 Norway got it's Constitution after the dissolution of the union with Denmark for 400 years. Of course we had to wait almost 100 years more until we were completely independent (Norway went directly from a union with Denmark to a union with Sweden) but some saw the break up with Denmark as a chance to become more independent.

Flag Day is an official flag-flying day, in other words, we put out our flags.

/bmt

karla64 12-26-2003 06:15 PM

it really intersting picture of FLag Day in Norway I don't know the tradtion... I am 1/4 Norway myself... My great Grandparents was born in Sebu, Norway later move in to the American in 1899?? or 1900 I am not sure... I am proud my herigate Norway... I only know history about Royal family... Is the first king in 1900 or had King or Queen in Past??? I only know Prince edward's daugther marry to Prince ( I forget his name?) from Denmark or sweden which one I can't remember later become King and Queen . the name is alice??? Forgive me if I forget .. Who can help me.... I hope.. who can....

Thank you
karla

Dennism 12-26-2003 07:04 PM

Yes, I read about the blue ones too. And there are ones that are for Christians called Jesus Russ. And all of the buses.