The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Family (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Marius Borg Hoiby - Discussions (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f47/marius-borg-hoiby-discussions-26848.html)

Alexandria 08-18-2003 07:56 PM

Marius Borg Hoiby - Discussions

Polfoto 18-08-2003 Asker 18.08.03: Marius' first day at school Marius had his first day at school at Janslökka school in Asker today. The school is situated just across the road from the Crown Pince family's new home at Skaugum. Marius was followed to school by his father Morten Borg, his mother Crown Prince Mette-Marit, and his step-father Crown Prince Haakon. Photo: Mette Möller/Dagbladet/All Over Press Norway (Code: 505962a)

Polfoto 18-08-2003 Asker 18.08.03: Marius' first day at school Marius had his first day at school at Janslökka school in Asker today. The school is situated just across the road from the Crown Pince family's new home at Skaugum. Marius was followed to school by his father Morten Borg, his mother Crown Prince Mette-Marit, and his step-father Crown Prince Haakon. Photo: Mette Möller/Dagbladet/All Over Press Norway (Code: 505962a)

xicamaluca 08-19-2003 05:49 AM

Nettavisen

THE NORWEGIAN ROYAL FAMILY:

The Crown Prince takes Marius to school
Av Hanne Dankertsen 19.08.03 08:46

Monday was the first day at school for Norway's 6-year-olds, including Marius Borg Høiby, son of Crown Princess Mette-Marit. His mother, father and stepfather Crown Prince Haakon took Marius to school for the very first time.

The first day of school is not a long one, but is may be quite an overwhelming one for excited 6-year-olds. One particular group of children were even more excited, as the son of the Crown Princess was to join their class.

The press was ready

At midday 71 6-year-olds were arriving the school in Asker along with their parents. A number of reporters were waiting to see Marius and his family.

Marius was wearing a big black and light blue rucksack and held his fathers hand for some time, but stayed close to his mother most of the time.

New friends

Marius will be in a class of 16-17 children and their teacher took the class to their classroom where the lesson of the day consisted of drawing and chatting. The parents were in the classrooms to t with before attending a meeting with the principal in the gym hall.

Close to home

After two hours the first day was over and the family drove back to their home in Ullevålsveien, here they live when waiting for the royal property Skaugum to be restored. Marius's new school is located very close to Skaugum.

Marius will learn Norwegian, English, religion, music, gymnastics and a number of other subjects the first year. His class will also enjoy other activities such as trips to the forest and visiting museums.

Principal Arnt-Jørgen Nilsen said he is pleased that the royal family has chosen their local school for Marius, saying: "We see this as a challenge ad hope to fulfil the wishes Marius and his parents have to the school".

:flower: Xicamaluca

anna 08-19-2003 09:30 AM

Marius Borg Høiby was also accompanied to schoolstart by his paternal grandmother - farmor - Mette Borg - wearing blue skirt, white blouse and iceblue jacket - to be seen above in the pic Alexandria Posted: Aug 19th, 2003 - 1:58 am

carlota 07-27-2005 04:05 PM

Marius' father

this week se og hor says:

sjokk beskjed for gravide mette marit: marius papa i terror drama

perhaps somebody can translate?

in the srmb it has also been said that they were spending some holidays in valentino's private yatch and kyril and wife rosario were also there. :)

Dennism 07-27-2005 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota
this week se og hor says:

sjokk beskjed for gravide mette marit: marius papa i terror drama

Shock message for pregnant Mette Marit: Marius´ father in terror drama. Don´t know what it´s about though.

KikkiB 07-28-2005 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennism
Shock message for pregnant Mette Marit: Marius´ father in terror drama. Don´t know what it´s about though.

Marius' father, his new wife, her son from a former relationship and their new born (or nearly new born) son were in Sharm-el-Sheik when the bombs exploded. It's said (from Se og Hør that is) that they were sleeping in their hotel a hundred metres form where the bombs went off.

auntie 07-28-2005 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KikkiB
Marius' father, his new wife, her son from a former relationship and their new born (or nearly new born) son were in Sharm-el-Sheik when the bombs exploded. It's said (from Se og Hør that is) that they were sleeping in their hotel a hundred metres form where the bombs went off.

gosh she must have been really shocked

kwanfan 07-28-2005 11:27 AM

Quote:

Wow. Thank goodness they are all okay.

Larzen 08-04-2005 12:01 PM

Haakon teaching Marius to windsurf

Haakon was teachin Marius how to windsurf at Maagerø where they were celebrating Haakons birthday. There is also a smal girl on the pictures but I dont recognise her

pictures from cover

KikkiB 08-04-2005 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larzen
Haakon was teachin Marius how to windsurf at Maagerø where they were celebrating Haakons birthday. There is also a smal girl on the pictures but I dont recognise her

pictures from cover

I'm not 100 % sure, but I think that the little girl might be Marius' cousin.

LaMinka 08-07-2005 10:32 AM

Quote:

I'm not 100 % sure, but I think that the little girl might be Marius' cousin.

I think its Tuva Hoiby. My boyfriends sister is Norwegian and she think its Tuva, Espens daugther.

KikkiB 08-07-2005 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaMinka
I think its Tuva Hoiby. My boyfriends sister is Norwegian and she think its Tuva, Espens daugther.

Yes, that does make sense :)

KikkiB 08-10-2005 04:55 AM

Will Marius get a title?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiaraprin
While Marius cannot be a royal, maybe someday Haakon will grant him an aristocratic title if appropriate. He is the brother of a future Queen!

I have to disappoint you, since Norway doesn't have an aristocracy and thus no titles, Marius won't get one. It has been "extinct" since the mid 1850s (I think!)

But there is a large chance, IMO, that he might get a high position in the society through the connections he might establish through his relation to the royal family and thus the business life and official life in Norway. And he probably would get access to the college/university that he likes, because even if one doesn't want to people will give him a benefit since he is related to the royal family. To please the royal family so to speak. One can argue that people wont do such a thing in our days, but I think that deep inside people have some awe and respect of the royal family.

So he might be in the diplomatic corps, he might be in the military, he might be in business, he might be a carpenter, he might be a bus driver. Who knows?? Time will tell!

hippiesheep 08-10-2005 03:43 PM

I can't understand this discussion about Marius given a title. Would it make him a better person to be a prince or a duke or something like that?
Why can't he be respected for what he is, Marius Hoiby Borg, the son of Mette-Marit and Morten Borg?
IMHO it's as good as to be a prince...

kate14 08-10-2005 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippiesheep
I can't understand this discussion about Marius given a title. Would it make him a better person to be a prince or a duke or something like that?
Why can't he be respected for what he is, Marius Hoiby Borg, the son of Mette-Marit and Morten Borg?

Well Said, Hippiesheep. This topic never seems to END!

planetcher 08-11-2005 01:08 AM

Who pays for Marius' education and other expenses?

Just curious, I don't mean any harm or heated debates but who's financing Marius' education and other expenses? Does he get an allowance (aka tax payers' moulah) or his father still provides for him as he should be?

lashinka2002 08-11-2005 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippiesheep

I think if Marius gets a title he will be disrespected as a result by not only his peers but the public as well. Not a good idea. Your right, he is who he is, why change it? Unless Hakon adopts him but his fathers still alive so why would that happen?

Larzen 08-11-2005 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetcher
Just curious, I don't mean any harm or heated debates but who's financing Marius' education and other expenses? Does he get an allowance (aka tax payers' moulah) or his father still provides for him as he should be?

Public school is free in Norway from you are six years troughout university, unless you choose to go to a private school, I would say atleast 98 % children go to public schools from they are 6 to they are 18-19, there is no need to go to private school as the public ones are of good quality (some choose private schools for special needs children or for religious reasons). Most also choose publich schooling for hogher education. All the universitys are free also. Although there are some Private higher education which you would have to pay for if you choose them.

Who pays for his private costs is not known, but as he lives with Haakon and MM I would guess they cover much of his expenses and when he is with his father he takes care of him, that is ofcourse a private matter, he will never get any money from the state, he will have to earn them and pay taxes like everyone else.

KikkiB 08-11-2005 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larzen
Public school is free in Norway from you are six years troughout university, unless you choose to go to a private school, I would say atleast 98 % children go to public schools from they are 6 to they are 18-19, there is no need to go to private school as the public ones are of good quality (some choose private schools for special needs children or for religious reasons). Most also choose publich schooling for hogher education. All the universitys are free also. Although there are some Private higher education which you would have to pay for if you choose them.

Who pays for his private costs is not known, but as he lives with Haakon and MM I would guess they cover much of his expenses and when he is with his father he takes care of him, that is ofcourse a private matter, he will never get any money from the state, he will have to earn them and pay taxes like everyone else.

Just some comments; for schooling - it's partly true that higher education is free. When you go to public upper secondary school you have to buy the school books and notebooks and so on yourself. But to go to the school is free (no fee). And for public universities and polytechnicolleges you have to pay a small fee each semester (500 nok plus/minus a 100 nok depending on which insitution you are at and it covers paper mostly, for copying and printing) and also you buy the books and supplies you need. And for quality of the public mandatory school, it may vary from municipality to muncipality due to funding, but that is another can of worms.

As for who pays for Marius' care. The system in Norway is such that when the parents of the child isn't living together (through divorce and split ups) the person who has the daily care for the child will recieve a monthly sum (even though some persons refuse to pay) from the parent who doesn't have the daily care. The size of the sum depends of the number of kids you have to provide for and what your income is. I guess it's the same for Marius. His dad pays a montly sum for his care (to buy clothes, to pay spare time activities and so on). IMO, Haakon also will provide financially for Marius' care, as Marius is a member of his family.

norwegianne 08-11-2005 06:55 AM

Quote:

Just some comments; for schooling - it's partly true that higher education is free. When you go to public upper secondary school you have to buy the school books and notebooks and so on yourself. But to go to the school is free (no fee). And for public universities and polytechnicolleges you have to pay a small fee each semester (500 nok plus/minus a 100 nok depending on which insitution you are at and it covers paper mostly, for copying and printing) and also you buy the books and supplies you need. And for quality of the public mandatory school, it may vary from municipality to muncipality due to funding, but that is another can of worms.

As for who pays for Marius' care. The system in Norway is such that when the parents of the child isn't living together (through divorce and split ups) the person who has the daily care for the child will recieve a monthly sum (even though some persons refuse to pay) from the parent who doesn't have the daily care. The size of the sum depends of the number of kids you have to provide for and what your income is. I guess it's the same for Marius. His dad pays a montly sum for his care (to buy clothes, to pay spare time activities and so on). IMO, Haakon also will provide financially for Marius' care, as Marius is a member of his family.

Also, Mette-Marit is most likely receiving child benefits from the State for Marius, as other Norwegian mothers do. It would be strange if she weren't. Though, I doubt they get that for Ingrid Alexandra.

Larzen 08-11-2005 06:58 AM

She certainly did before she married, but now that she dont pay tax I somehow doubt it.....?

KikkiB 08-11-2005 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne
Also, Mette-Marit is most likely receiving child benefits from the State for Marius, as other Norwegian mothers do. It would be strange if she weren't. Though, I doubt they get that for Ingrid Alexandra.

Thanks, I forgot about that one - barnetrygden!

norwegianne 01-30-2006 04:29 AM

Marius Borg Høiby: Current Events II

This is the thread to discuss current pictures and news about Mette-Marit's son Marius.

Keep in mind the rules before posting.

The old thread can be found here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hread-355.html

Polioliau 02-17-2006 11:08 PM

What name does Marius call Haakon?

I wonder what Marius uses to Haakon? Does he call him Papa? Sir? Maybe just Haakon? Does Marius even meet with his own father?

Emily 02-17-2006 11:14 PM

He calls him Haakon. There was a recent video released where he drew a picture and it was for "Mama and Haakon".

norge 02-17-2006 11:19 PM

I know in America most children will call there stepfather by his first name, except in cases where he's been raised by the stepfather from birth or a very young age and the biological father is out of the picture. Then they would usually call him dad.

to me that's kind of strange, calling your step father by his last name...."Hey Olsen, can you help me with my homework?" Sounds almost disrespectful from an American point of view.

Emily 02-17-2006 11:27 PM

Is Haakon his last name? I thought it was his first name. If it's his last name - that is kind of interesting.

janos614 02-17-2006 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily
Is Haakon his last name? I thought it was his first name. If it's his last name - that is kind of interesting.

Haakon's not his last name, I think point that is trying to be made is that it's normal for the first name to be used when addressing a stepfather because "Papa" isn't appropriate, since Marius seems to see his father (as evidenced by pictures I've seen in other threads) and "Sir" is way too formal. Haakon hasn't adopted Marius, either. I don't know how often Marius sees his biological father, though, and where the father lives in relation to the Crown Princely couple.

norge 02-18-2006 01:13 AM

Marius biological father has supposedly cleaned himself up, and now is able to have access to him. I think Marius has even spent a Christmas with him.

crisiñaki 02-18-2006 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norge
Marius biological father has supposedly cleaned himself up, and now is able to have access to him. I think Marius has even spent a Christmas with him.

The guy knows that if he messes up again this time he won't have an enraged single mother to hide from but a very angry King and Crown Prince to seek and destroy him, so I think he's really trying but Haakon and MM keep a very close eye on him.

I think Marius thinks more of Haakon as a father than his own for several reasons:

1. He lives with Haakon, mom and his siblings so he spents a lot of time with him
2. Haakon has been there for him in many moments like first days of school and stuff
3. Haakon strengted his love for MM through the love for her son

Charlotte1 02-18-2006 03:39 AM

Marius' biological father has unlimited access to Marius. When Marius began school Mette-Marit, Haakon and Morten Borg all accompanied him. All three (plus Marius' paternal grandmother) have been photographed at one of Marius' sports days.
The day Haakon's and MM's engagement was announced Marius' father took him to spend the day in the mountains to protect him from the media.
Marius goes on summer holidays with his father and spends weekends at his home. His father has remarried, ( Marius was at the wedding) and Marius now has a half-brother as well as a step-brother as his step-mother had a son by a previous relationship.
He has a father who is a very active participant in his life, so that's who he calls papa. Haakon is his stepfather and he calls him by his first name.

moosey60 02-18-2006 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polioliau
I wonder what Marius uses to Haakon? Does he call him Papa? Sir? Maybe just Haakon? Does Marius even meet with his own father?

From Ingrid Alexandra's 2nd birthday video, they show a picture Marius has drawn for his mom and Haakon:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1276/caps0gy.jpg
"To Mommy and Haakon"

Avalon 02-19-2006 08:19 AM

Marius has got a biological father to call Dad but I think he is very attached to Crown Prince Haakon. In those many pictures, where Haakon and Marius are together, it’s clear that they are very much fond of each other. And in the Christmas pictures of 2005-2006 it’s obvious that other members of the Royal Family also love Marius a lot, I mean Queen Sonja hugs him as if he were her biological grandson. It’s one big, happy family.

And WOW! Marius has got a really big family, Mom, Dad, Step-father, step-mother, half-sister, two half-brothers, step-brother, grandmothers and grandfathers, not counting all step-grandfathers and –grandmothers!

Royal Fan 02-19-2006 02:11 PM

Haakon hasnt adopted Marius ? Thought he had

norwegianne 02-19-2006 02:19 PM

As mentioned in several threads, already, no, Haakon hasn't adopted Marius.

Royal Fan 02-19-2006 02:29 PM

so is Crown Prince Haakon considered is Stepfather???

Smilla 02-19-2006 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Fan
so is Crown Prince Haakon considered is Stepfather???

I suppose he is, after all he has taken over many of the duties of a father.

Jane1 02-19-2006 03:27 PM

It is hard to see how Haakon could adopt him, as he has a living father whom he sees regularly.
I love the picture Marius drew!

kelly9480 02-19-2006 03:50 PM

A stepfather doesn't have to be involved with his step-child, he has to be married to the child's mother. That's simply a legal position and has nothing to do with actual relationships. For example, I had a stepmother who was married to my father for ten years and our conversations consisted of me asking her to put my father on the phone. She was still my stepmother, even though I never spoke more than 20 words to her a month.

moosey60 02-19-2006 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly9480
A stepfather doesn't have to be involved with his step-child, he has to be married to the child's mother. That's simply a legal position and has nothing to do with actual relationships. For example, I had a stepmother who was married to my father for ten years and our conversations consisted of me asking her to put my father on the phone. She was still my stepmother, even though I never spoke more than 20 words to her a month.

That may be, but Haakon's relationship with Marius seems much more of a biological father-son relationship. He's very affectionate and caring and considers Marius as good as his own.

Aussie Princess 02-19-2006 11:20 PM

I love the way Haakon is so great with Marius.It is clear they adore each other. I think, but I'm not sure, Haakon couldn't adopt him without his biological father basically forfeiting his rights as a parent?

lise 02-20-2006 01:31 AM

I think Haakon is very fond of Marius. There was an post on one of the other theads where Haakon and the king did an television interview in Norway and Haakon spoke fondly of Marius.

maggie03 02-20-2006 04:19 AM

I think by calling haakon instead of dad is better so it will not create confusion for Marius. He will not tend to compare as comparisons will definitely arise when there r two dads!!!! Marius family connection is considered a pretty complicated. Haakon sounds warm more like a best pal :)

Jo of Palatine 02-20-2006 06:11 AM

I wonder if one reason why Prince Sverre Magnus did not receive the style HRH was to make clear to Marius that - while Ingrid is the second in line and thus will become queen one day - his brother Sverre is just a boy like himself. Okay, he is "prince" Sverre but then his father is a prince, too, but he does not have a title that Marius doesn't have.

It would fit in with what is heard about the way Haakon and Mette-Marit really care for others - a way to give Marius the feeling that he is just as worthy as his "royal" siblings. Of course, it fits in as well with the carefulness the norwegian Royals handle their public image - in times when quite some "subjects" are convinced they don't need a Royal family, it is wise to reduce the amount of Royals who have a right to a special style.

KikkiB 02-20-2006 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
I wonder if one reason why Prince Sverre Magnus did not receive the style HRH was to make clear to Marius that - while Ingrid is the second in line and thus will become queen one day - his brother Sverre is just a boy like himself. Okay, he is "prince" Sverre but then his father is a prince, too, but he does not have a title that Marius doesn't have.

It would fit in with what is heard about the way Haakon and Mette-Marit really care for others - a way to give Marius the feeling that he is just as worthy as his "royal" siblings. Of course, it fits in as well with the carefulness the norwegian Royals handle their public image - in times when quite some "subjects" are convinced they don't need a Royal family, it is wise to reduce the amount of Royals who have a right to a special style.

I think you are on to something here! I think the Royal family of Norway is trying not to elevate themselves from the rest of the people. I mean, historically, royals were very distant from their subjects. But nowadays, royals are more or less like the rest, just with an unusual career. And that is what I think CP Haakon and CP M-M is trying to do for their boys, giving them a broader variety of possibilites than they might have had, considering the family relations.

And for Marius, I do believe his father is very involved in his life, but that they manage to keep it private. Though, I have read that Marius often spend school holidays with his father and his new family. And I think they also have been on vacations abroad together. My impression of Marius' relationship with his father, is very similar to a lot of kids in Norway today. Marius' father being a weekend and holiday dad. But Marius have an advantage, his father lives quite close by, in Oslo, and not in the other end of the country, which is the case for a lot of kids.

My conclusion is that the Norwegian royal family is just like a lot of other families. Containing mine, yours and ours, exes and new partners. But as long as they get along and are agreeing on how to do things, I think it will be all right.

HRH Kerry 02-20-2006 11:11 AM

I believe you guys have pretty much summed up the roles Marius' dad and CP Haakon play in his life. I don't think a kid could ask for more being in a situation like that but I have to agree with some of what Norge said in an earlier post that it seems a little disrespectful in his address of Haakon.

In the states, for the most part a child, regardless of the relationship, doesn't call a grown up by their first name without attaching a Mr., Ms., or Mrs. to it. But on the other hand I'm quite sure that this issue came up while discussing marriage. I guess the bottom line is that as long as the parties involved are content then who are we to speculate. JMO :)

norwegianne 02-20-2006 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerry
I believe you guys have pretty much summed up the roles Marius' dad and CP Haakon play in his life. I don't think a kid could ask for more being in a situation like that but I have to agree with some of what Norge said in an earlier post that it seems a little disrespectful in his address of Haakon.

In the states, for the most part a child, regardless of the relationship, doesn't call a grown up by their first name without attaching a Mr., Ms., or Mrs. to it. But on the other hand I'm quite sure that this issue came up while discussing marriage. I guess the bottom line is that as long as the parties involved are content then who are we to speculate. JMO :)

The situations in which someone is called by Mr./Ms./or Mrs. in Norway are extremely limited nowadays. I think the only ones I can recollect using it are the Palace around Mette-Marit and Haakon's engagement, when she was Miss Tjessem Høiby in speeches.

The only adults I can recall adressing in that manner, and not by their first names, are my grandmother's friends, and then only because I didn't know their first names. There have been some teachers that has been adressed by their last names, but then it's not usually prefixed by a Mr/Mrs/Miss - it's more like a first name.

Other than the grandparent generation, I think most people adress each other by first or last names in Norway - we don't stand much on formality ;)

HRH Kerry 02-20-2006 11:21 AM

norwegianne,

Wow, things are so different on each side of the Altantic. :) So it was probably evident from the beginning how CP Haakon would be addressed by Marius.

Smilla 02-20-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne
Other than the grandparent generation, I think most people adress each other by first or last names in Norway - we don't stand much on formality ;)

Especially within families, you wouldn't call anybody by their last names, especially not your stepfather or stepmother. I don't think it's disrespectful either, how else would you address your stepfather? You couldn't say "dad" - that one's taken - you wouldn't say "Mr. X", what else is left? First names.

HRH Kerry 02-20-2006 02:24 PM

It's all about where you're from. My step-son actually calls me Mrs. Kerry. I love him no differently than my children with my husband but the fact remains that I'm not his natural mother. He's 16yrs old and I've been in his life since he was 20 months. Addressing me as Mrs is a sign of respect. Don't get me wrong, I would love for him to call me Mommy but I wouldn't dare disrespect his mother like that especially since she is alive and well and is an important part of his life.

It isn't considered old fashioned or grandparent generation-ish to be addresses as such. I'm only Kerry to my friends or piers and that's only if I grant them liberty to do so. Being on a first name basis here implies that you are on the same level, i.e., work together, drink and party together, being an adult, etc.

I'm sure if I had been raised somewhere else then my country/heritage/ generation would dictate otherwise. I'm not knocking it but just want for others to see how different things are on this side of the pond. :cool: :cool: :cool:

But back to little Marius...he seems to be very happy with whatever the arrangement is.:) :) :)

Smilla 02-20-2006 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerry
It's all about where you're from.
I'm sure if I had been raised somewhere else then my country/heritage/ generation would dictate otherwise. I'm not knocking it but just want for others to see how different things are on this side of the pond. :cool: :cool: :cool:
:) :) :)

Thanks for bringing this up, Kerry, it's so interesting to see which cultural differences there are.
Things have losened up considerably in Europe: my grandmother, who is about ninety, adressed her mother or father respectfully as "Ihr" (German), which can't be translated since you haven't got that grammatical form, but is a form that was used to talk to royalty or ones "betters".

Being a stepfather or stepmother is hard enough - it's great that Hakoon seems to be doing so well in that role.

Kelly 02-20-2006 03:43 PM

What exactly is the role for Marius within the royal family? (besides the crown princess's son)

Lillia 02-20-2006 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smilla
Thanks for bringing this up, Kerry, it's so interesting to see which cultural differences there are.
Things have losened up considerably in Europe: my grandmother, who is about ninety, adressed her mother or father respectfully as "Ihr" (German), which can't be translated since you haven't got that grammatical form, but is a form that was used to talk to royalty or ones "betters".

Being a stepfather or stepmother is hard enough - it's great that Hakoon seems to be doing so well in that role.

Interesting, my grandparents always wanted (and still expect) to be addressed as Sir and Madame. It's how he raised his children and he expected the grandchildren (and most everyone else) to call him and my grandmother by a proper address.

Everybody does not do that though. I prefer the much more relaxed approach too.:p

OK - back to the subject of Marius and his role in the royal family.

I think his role is to be a normal little boy, and a big brother, like every other little boy out there.

There will be plenty of time to figure out any sort of 'role' or something

Princess BellyFlop 02-20-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks for bringing this up, Kerry, it's so interesting to see which cultural differences there are. .

Well, I'm also from the other side of the Atlantic, in North America like Kerry, but my experience is more likely like yours. Mind you I'm Canadian, and French-Canadian to top it. My brother who has young step-children (4 and 6 years old) is addressed by them by his 1st name «X», they sometimes call him «Papa X». Like Haakon, he plays in important role in their lives.

Quote:

Things have losened up considerably in Europe: my grandmother, who is about ninety, adressed her mother or father respectfully as "Ihr" (German), which can't be translated since you haven't got that grammatical form, but is a form that was used to talk to royalty or ones "betters". .

Would that «Ihr» be the equivalent of the French «tu» (2nd person singular) versus «vous» (2nd person plural or respectful singular)? As a child I used «vous» with my parents, I still do with people I do business with or if 'm not close to them as a sign of respect. Unfortunately with the English effect, this form of politeness is being lost around here.

Smilla 02-20-2006 05:33 PM

Princess Bellyflop, I can't quote your message, so I've got to write a new one.
That "Ihr" would be like "vous", even more respectful. You say "Du" to someone you know really well, "Sie" to somebody you don't know that well, as a mark of respect. And the third form, "Ihr" was used to address superiors, like kings or aristocrats. I can't really think of an equivalent in English or French.
Did you use "vous" to address your parents like, "maman, vous etes fatiguee?" (sorry, I've forgotten most of my French). Is that typical of Canadians? I used to work as an au pair in France, and the kids just used the "tu" form to talk to their parents.

magpie 02-20-2006 06:27 PM

usually canadians will use "tu" with their parents - "vous" these days is really reserved for people you really don't know well at all. in elementary and high schools generally the teachers are also addressed as "tu" but this obviously changes at the post-secondary level

Jenilynn 02-20-2006 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte1
Marius' biological father has unlimited access to Marius. When Marius began school Mette-Marit, Haakon and Morten Borg all accompanied him. All three (plus Marius' paternal grandmother) have been photographed at one of Marius' sports days.
The day Haakon's and MM's engagement was announced Marius' father took him to spend the day in the mountains to protect him from the media.
Marius goes on summer holidays with his father and spends weekends at his home. His father has remarried, ( Marius was at the wedding) and Marius now has a half-brother as well as a step-brother as his step-mother had a son by a previous relationship.
He has a father who is a very active participant in his life, so that's who he calls papa. Haakon is his stepfather and he calls him by his first name.

I believe also that when Haakon and Mette-Marit were married, Haakon thanked MM in his wedding speech for having had the privilege of helping to raise Marius.

Maud Alexandra 02-21-2006 12:50 PM

The Royal House and the Royal Family

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine

I think the decision to not style Prince Sverre Magnus HRH is a continuation of the norwegian tradition to keep the Royal House a small one.
When King Haakon, Queen Maud and Crown Prince Olav arrived in our country 100 years ago, Norway was a quite poor country with strong republican sympathies. The main reason for choosing a King (There was a referendum between republic and monarchy and whether Prince Carl of Denmark was the right candidate) was to secure a strong ally in Great Britain. The norwegian Royal House has ever since been a modest and down-to-earth monarchy. And won the hearts and loyalty of their people for it.
Crown Prince Olav was an only child and when Princesses Ragnhild and Astrid married the lost their “HRH” both marrying commoners, leaving the Royal House to consist of only King Olav and Crown Prince Harald after the death of Crown Princess Märtha until Crown Prince Harald married Sonja Haraldsen. Princess Astrid functioned as Norway’s First Lady up until their marriage in 1968 but she was not a member of the Royal House. All decenders from King Haakon and Queen Maud are of course members of the Royal Family. Both Princess Märtha Louise and Prince Haakon was styled “HRH” at birth, but when Princess Märtha Louise married Mr Ari Behn, she like her aunts gave up her “HRH”, but unlike them she didn’t take her husbands last name. (Many norwegian women keep their maiden/family name when they marry.) Her aunts are styled: Princess X, Mrs. Y.
The decision that the Royal House should just consist of the Monarch, his/her spouse, the Crown Prince/ess and spouse, and their firstborn is just a continuation and clarification of a policy from early days.
The King not giving Price Sverre Magnus the style “HRH” is not a dramatic shift like the media makes it out to be. If/when Sverre Magnus marries in the future he would in accordance with established protocol give up his “HRH” if he were so styled.
The effect that it also seem to equal the two brothers, is a side effect I’m sure the King and the Crown Princely couple have considered.

When it comes to Marius father Morten Borg, it seems like some people think he was a junkie or worse. Like Mette-Marit he was part of the Oslo club- and houseparty scene where they met. Mette-Marit has admitted to experiencing and pushing boundaries during that period. Morten Borg was convicted for possession of drugs and got a sentence for that. He comes from a respectable Oslo-family and his parents have been acquaintances of the King and Queen for years. Marius’ father have had visitation rights all along and from the time Marius no longer was an infant have had him for weekends and holidays like any normal part-time father. When Mette-Marit and Marius moved to Oslo from Kristiansand it also became easier to meet frequently. Morten Borg seems to be a supportive and loving father who show up for normal parent’s activities. CP Haakon, CP MM and Morten Borg with his new family seem to have a healthy functional relationship for Marius’ best interest.

RoyalProtocol 02-23-2006 06:15 AM

What does he call the King and Queen?

Does anyone know what Marius calles Their Majesty's The King and Queen.

Gloriana 02-23-2006 08:33 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know what Marius calles Their Majesty's The King and Queen.
I think he calls them ''Bedste-Harald'' and ''Bedste-Sonja'' (Grand-Harald and Grand-Sonja).

bbb 02-23-2006 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenilynn
I believe also that when Haakon and Mette-Marit were married, Haakon thanked MM in his wedding speech for having had the privilege of helping to raise Marius.

what a beautiful example of adults putting the child first. its a shame all step families can't be so fortunate and have this unconditional love. Marius is a lucky little boy and i bet he grows up to make them all proud.

Rebafan81 03-06-2006 06:52 PM

I was reading a interview where Haakon talked about Princess Ingrid and how he will raise all the children the same. He included Marius in this. He said he has learned a great deal about fatherhood from Marius. He said he already had two kids, so three wouldn't be an issue. I think it is great that Marius has the chance to be a part of such a great family, regardless whether they are royalty or not.

asma 03-06-2006 08:02 PM

I think if Marius calls Hakon ''Uncle'' is more appropriate than Papa or Mr.

Smilla 03-07-2006 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asma

I don't think that lots of kids call their stepfather "uncle". After all, their position is that of a stepFATHER, not stepUNCLE. From my friends I know that
for stepfathers, mostly their first name is used to address them.

sm1939 03-07-2006 11:32 AM

thats what my friends step children call them " by there first name"
uncle is just plain wired!!!

Jo of Palatine 03-07-2006 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asma

If the Crown Prince of Norway wants his stepson to call him by his first name, it should be the best, as surely the Crown Prince is aware of his country's habits, his family's opinion and his own personal preference. If he deems it appropriate, who are we to say, "no, it's not"?

Just wondering.... :)

andr 03-17-2006 09:51 AM

Marius in a Slalom-Competition

Some scans for Norwegian magazine Se og Hoer of Marius in a slalom competition in Baerum, Norway last Saturday. His both dads were stood together at the finish-line and followed him during the raise. According to Se og Hoer did the Crown prince help Marius inspects the race course before start.

Marius was with Haakon and Mette-Marit to Holmenkollen Sunday for the ski-jump competition. The image shows Haakon and Marius shearing a chocolate bar.

crisiñaki 03-18-2006 01:33 PM

Now Marius is a pro:D
It's soo good to watch such a loving family, Marius has two fathers who adore him and a big family, lucky kid.
Haakon is an example to many men who don't even love their own "flesh" kids, good for him:D :D

kwanfan 03-18-2006 02:26 PM

It is really wonderful to see such an amicable relationship between Haakon & Mette-Marit, and Morten Borg. They are a great example for blended families. Marius looks like a pro on the ski course!

monica 03-22-2006 05:03 PM

Marius is a very beautiful and fortunate boy :D !!!

lise 03-23-2006 02:06 AM

Does anyone know how Marius went in the slalom competition?
It looked like fun.

He's a lucky boy to have a blended family that get along. I have friends who have blended families that don't get along and they are constantly unhappy because of it.

andr 03-23-2006 07:40 PM

I found this on the skiclubs website.

I think he was nr 31.

The complete results for boys 9. years.

57 Giske Lars Fossum Alpin 1:02.23
58 Marthinussen Erik Fjørtoft BSK 0:52.27
59 Pettersen Espen Møller BSK Mangler
60 Gilhuus Jakob Stabæk Alpin 0:45.66
61 Wittwer Sander Fossum Alpin 1:01.09
62 Dahl Torjus LIL Alpin 0:55.64
63 Haakerud Jørgen Stabæk Alpin 0:52.03
64 Bache Semb Oscar BSK 0:50.81
65 Nerby Mathias Fjeldberg Fossum Alpin 1:29.32
66 Engene Knut Magnus LIL Alpin Mangler
67 Solberg Henrik Døsen LIL Alpin 0:58.33
68 Berg Magnus BSK 0:54.46
69 Høiby Marius Borg Fossum Alpin 1:05.73
70 Hammer Fridtjof Abel BSK 0:46.12
71 Storvik Nicolai BSK 0:49.29
72 Nistad Bendik BSK Mangler
73 Johannessen Jens Harald L. LIL Alpin 0:46.57
74 Kolberg Peder LIL Alpin 1:00.81
75 Brune Gustav T. BSK 0:52.75
76 Nesje Peder Stabæk Alpin Mangler
77 Schwarz Henrik Damm BSK 0:48.19
78 Håkonsen Iver BSK 0:53.97
79 Evertsen Johannes Ready Alpin 0:53.36
80 Meinich Christian Stabæk Alpin Brutt
81 Anda Eirik Haslum Alpin 0:56.30
82 Singsaas Magnus Mjelde LIL Alpin Mangler
83 Skøien Johannes BSK 0:55.94
84 Skaret Jahr Snorre LIL Alpin 1:00.53
85 Lein Philip LIL Alpin 1:43.71
86 Aalerud-Larsen Theodor Stabæk Alpin 0:46.14
87 Rindvoll Tobias Løken Fossum Alpin 0:56.71
88 Marthinussen Oskar Fjørtof BSK 0:52.47
89 Elgstøen Kasper Fossum Alpin 0:56.84
90 Henriksen Jakob Øfsthus LIL Alpin Mangler
91 Mar Thor Stabæk Alpin 1:26.37
92 Helk Johan BSK 0:46.53
93 Solemsli Vebjørn Grøntveit LIL Alpin 0:56.40
94 Nistad Bendik BSK 0:58.86
95 Bjørgan Hjalmar Stabæk Alpin 0:46.71
96 Madsen Fredrik S. LIL Alpin 1:01.74
97 Gauteplass Gard Johannes Sørkedalen I.F Mangler
144 BREVIK Jørgen BSK 0:52.05
218 P. JANSSON Kasper LIL Alpin 0:53.55
219 SONDET FLAEN Sebastian ready 0:48.98
Påmeldt: 44 Startet: 37 Brutt: 1 Disket: 0 Forfall: 0 Ikke-møtt: 0 Prem
***** 7 løpere mangler STATUS-kode *****

crisiñaki 03-24-2006 12:34 AM

How do you read the results?:confused: :rolleyes:

andr 03-24-2006 12:46 PM

Everybody wins

There are no winners in sports in norway before the children is about 12 years. They just get a time and won't be rankt after it. As I said. I think Marius was about nr 30 - 20 sec behind the best time.

Karisma 03-24-2006 07:22 PM

The most modern Monarchy

I´m sure Maurius call Haakon by his name. Norway is the most modern Monarchy in the world and I´m sure they don´t make things more difficult then necessary.

lise 03-24-2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andr
There are no winners in sports in norway before the children is about 12 years. They just get a time and won't be rankt after it. As I said. I think Marius was about nr 30 - 20 sec behind the best time.

I think that's a good system. Marius can go out there and have fun without worring about winning or losing.

crisiñaki 03-24-2006 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lise
I think that's a good system. Marius can go out there and have fun without worring about winning or losing.

And Marius gets all the practice he wants, so by the age of 12 he'll be a real pro:D

andr 03-27-2006 07:39 AM

Marius calls Haakon - Haakon and Morten Borg - Dad. I've seen it on tv several times.

nayralorenzo 03-27-2006 09:05 AM

I have seen him calling Haakon, Haakon. This is a normal thing.

Aussie Princess 04-01-2006 07:43 AM

I agree, first names is the normal thing. my father and his brother called their step grandfather 'uncle' though

sm1939 04-03-2006 03:59 AM

at the end of the day , its what people feel comfortable with .
weather its first name , sir , uncle . as long as every one is happy.

bbb 04-04-2006 10:49 AM

i love this kid, he seems such a cool young man. i don't think i could have stepped into his shoes and behaved so well without being "born to it". His parents and PH have reason to be very proud of him. Of course credit should be given MM for his excellent up bringing, thank goodness he wasn't a brat who was acting up and being a monster in front of cameras and everyone.

Rebafan81 04-04-2006 11:33 AM

I really like this little boy- he just seems like a happy well adjusted child. I love looking at new and old pictures of him. Looking at the baby pictures of Marius, SM really does resemble him and MM side of the family. I love the way CP HM talks about his boys being different from IA, and how as time goes by they will explain everything to them and help them understand. I have never heard him make a distinction between "his" kids and Mariius. Just about every picture shown of them together, they are either holding hands or Marius is hanging on HM. I think Marius is one lucky little boy and I think you can tell how happy he is by just watching him act like a normal 9 year old child.

yin_yin_chen2001 04-05-2006 07:37 PM

I agree with you Rebafan81. Marius is a luck boy.

lise 04-05-2006 09:25 PM

I agree with you Rebafan81. I don't think anyone could have said it better.

monica 04-23-2006 06:03 AM

http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/mettemarit1a.jpg

http://s2.supload.com/free/untitled-...0718.bmp/view/

From Hola and www.nettavisen.no

bbb 07-12-2006 01:27 PM

http://hellomagazine.com/royalty/200.../princehaakon/

article about haakon teaching marius to wind surf. good photos

Rebafan81 07-12-2006 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbb

article about haakon teaching marius to wind surf. good photos

Great Article, this is one of my favorite royal families. I love the relationship HM and Marius have developed. What a lucky family. Does anyone have any additional pictures of them together?
Thanks!!!

lsme 07-22-2006 04:04 PM

The Royal Family and Marius

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebafan81
Great Pictures Larzen- Thanks for posting.
I think with lighter hair IA is really starting to look like her momma. She has always been my favorite royal child, but as she gets older she just gets prettier. I think she will a fantastic queen one day.
I love the picture with HM arm around Marius. It seems to me that they go a long way to make him feel like he is one of the family. God Bless them, they are a great role model.

Personally, I think the credit should go to Marius for being such a well behaved, loving child. Remember, he did not choose to be a "not official" member of the Royal Family. It was Mette Marit and Haakon's (and Morten Borg's, too) choice to put him into a position of being considered by many throughout the world and certainly in this forum as the social and (in some cases because of his parents failure to legitimize their union) moral inferior of his half-sister and half brothers. I agree, it is nice to see Haakon showing Marius a little bit of the public affection that he so readily shows Ingrid and Sverre. Usually in most photographs that get published of Haakon and Mette-Marit with all three children, Haakon appears to be somewhat distant from Marius while openly showing his affection for his and Mette-Marit's children. The positions that people take in photographs in relation to the other people in the photo are often very revealing of their relationship with that person.

Alexandria 07-22-2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsme
Personally, I think the credit should go to Marius for being such a well behaved, loving child. Remember, he did not choose to be a "not official" member of the Royal Family. It was Mette Marit and Haakon's (and Morten Borg's, too) choice to put him into a position of being considered by many throughout the world and certainly in this forum as the social and (in some cases because of his parents failure to legitimize their union) moral inferior of his half-sister and half brothers.

Actually it's no choice by Haakon, Mette-Marit or Morten Borg for Marius not to have a title. It simply isn't an option, period. Marius is the son of the Crown Princess but has no blood ties to the royal family -- ie. King Harald or Crown Prince Haakon. Combined with the fact that Norway does not have a nobility the way other monarchies do, Marius cannot even have a courtesy title.

Even Haakon's son is a HH rather than HRH, and Martha Louise's daughters do not have a title at all, nor does her husband have a courtesy title the way the Spanish Infantas' husbands have courtesy titles due to their marriage to the King's daughters.

And I've never seen anything from the Norwegian royal court or this forum that implies that Marius is a "social and moral" inferior to his half siblings Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus. Where have you seen such comments?

Quote:

I agree, it is nice to see Haakon showing Marius a little bit of the public affection that he so readily shows Ingrid and Sverre. Usually in most photographs that get published of Haakon and Mette-Marit with all three children, Haakon appears to be somewhat distant from Marius while openly showing his affection for his and Mette-Marit's children. The positions that people take in photographs in relation to the other people in the photo are often very revealing of their relationship with that person.

Actually Haakon is quite often publicly affectionate with Marius. During an Easter holiday when the family went to Italy with the King and Queen there were many pictures of Haakon kidding around with Marius while Mette-Marit pushed Ingrid Alexandra in her carriage, as well as recent pictures of Haakon teaching Marius water sports, as well as a very famous set of pictures one September when Haakon, Morten Borg and Mette-Marit all walked Marius to school on his first day. It was Haakon who was playing around with Marius rather than his dad. And while Mette-Marit and Haakon were dating there were many pictures of Haakon in the park with Mette-Marit and Marius riding his bike or Haakon taking Marius to the park to play soccer. For Haakon's 30th birthday there was a concert and Marius sat in Haakon's lap, not his mom's.

I don't think Haakon shows more affection for his (biological) children at all.

kwanfan 07-22-2006 04:31 PM

Quote:

Personally, I think the credit should go to Marius for being such a well behaved, loving child. Remember, he did not choose to be a "not official" member of the Royal Family. It was Mette Marit and Haakon's (and Morten Borg's, too) choice to put him into a position of being considered by many throughout the world and certainly in this forum as the social and (in some cases because of his parents failure to legitimize their union) moral inferior of his half-sister and half brothers. I agree, it is nice to see Haakon showing Marius a little bit of the public affection that he so readily shows Ingrid and Sverre. Usually in most photographs that get published of Haakon and Mette-Marit with all three children, Haakon appears to be somewhat distant from Marius while openly showing his affection for his and Mette-Marit's children. The positions that people take in photographs in relation to the other people in the photo are often very revealing of their relationship with that person.

I completely disagree with your statement that Haakon rarely shows Marius public affection. Here are some pictures
Sharing a chocolate bar at Holmenkollen
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...8&d=1142607018
Haakon along with Morten Borg attend Marius' ski competition
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...6&d=1142607018
Article about Haakon and Marius going wind surfing
Haakon playing with Marius on the way to Marius' first day of school
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...3&d=1061223136
Haakon and Marius skiing together
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1074450365
Haakon and Marius out walking together
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...3&d=1117296457
Haakon and Marius talking during the coronation celebrations
http://img40.imagevenue.com/img.php?...e=62716_18.jpg

marezdote 07-22-2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

Although I agree that Marius seems to be a "well behaved, loving child" I disagree about Haakon not showing him affection. In my opinoin Haakon always seems to give a lot of attention to Marius and in turn Marius seems to really enjoy his stepfather.

Even though Marius can not have a title I've always felt that the entire royal family considers him a part of their family. For example they always include him in their family Christmas pictures.

Rebafan81 07-22-2006 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marezdote
Although I agree that Marius seems to be a "well behaved, loving child" I disagree about Haakon not showing him affection. In my opinoin Haakon always seems to give a lot of attention to Marius and in turn Marius seems to really enjoy his stepfather.

Even though Marius can not have a title I've always felt that the entire royal family considers him a part of their family. For example they always include him in their family Christmas pictures.

I agree with everyone about the relationship between Marius and HM. HM is always holding Marius's hand or playing around with him. I think they have a great relationship and even remember HM talking in one interview about how is was going to teach "his boys" that IA was different because she was the crown princess. I think he and everyone in the royal family have gone a long way in including Marius. I think in the pictures recently taken we don't see HM holding his hand as much because he is getting older and because they now have two small children who at this point in their lives need more attention. Clearly you can see the affection between the two when they talk to one another. I think MM, HM and the entire royal family should be commended in the way they have handled the situation and how they have blended the two families.

sylla 07-23-2006 12:34 AM

I also think the reason Haakon seems more into his children is because they are so small and require more handeling. But I also agree that Marius' situation is less than ideal. His mother, sister and brother are on the balcony but he is not. Not sure how I would feel.

kwanfan 07-23-2006 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sylla
I also think the reason Haakon seems more into his children is because they are so small and require more handeling. But I also agree that Marius' situation is less than ideal. His mother, sister and brother are on the balcony but he is not. Not sure how I would feel.

I'm sure Marius is old enough that Mette-Marit and Haakon have explained the unique situation that he is in. Frankly, I doubt many 9 year old boys would want to stand on the balcony in the hot sun for hours. And IIRC the balcony on National Day is really the only royal event that the kids participate in where Marius does not participate. He was with the family viewing the children's parade on National Day, he has gone to Holmenkollen Ski Festival the past few years, and he was at the Coronation celebrations.

grevinnan 07-23-2006 01:01 AM

The reason he is not on the balcony is that he left to join his classmates in the parade and paraded in front of the royal family. He was with the royal family during the earlier events.

sylla 07-23-2006 01:08 AM

Well, for all we know, the future adult Marius may just be thrilled not to have been burdened with a title and royal responsibilities. And just being associated with the RF will open many doors for him, like they did for M-L when she struck out on her own. So you are right, we really shouldn't be too concerned about him feeling left out. And above all, he is loved by all involved and that really matters.

ortino 07-23-2006 03:17 AM

Marius (and this on the photographic record I have seen)has always gotten tons of love from Haakun. Does anyone remember the picture on this forum of the crown prince holding a tired Marius in his arms during his own wedding? But getting back to the discussion on the CP couples holidays: wow, Mette-Marit's hair is what I call Peroxide!!!

Smilla 07-23-2006 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ortino
wow, Mette-Marit's hair is what I call Peroxide!!!

I guess it just gets bleached naturally in summer. My son's hair is exactly the same: much darker in winter, but almost white in summer - AND he's absolutely not using anything chemical to lighten his hair colour.

Birgit Hansen 07-23-2006 08:46 AM

This is the year 2006

Quote:

Isme, somehow it bothers me that you write that Marius, and i quote, are SOCIAL AND MORAL INFERIOR to his brother and sister.
In my part of the world, Scandinavia, about 50% of all newborn childern are born out of wedllock. I spend a number of years in the United States and it is a great country, but I often heard people condemd birth control and having sex before marriage - at the same time some schools had to establish child care in order to keep all the young mothers in school so they at least could earn a highschool degree.
Marius is NOT social and moral inferiour, he is a great kid as far as I can see, and I am confident that he has some really dedicated parents/stepparents. I am also sure that CP Haakon is a great role model to Marius an not the least to the thousands of other step fathers all over the world.