The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Families of Austria and Germany (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f78/)
-   -   Engagement of Princess Nathalie and Alexander Johannsmann: January 4, 2010 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f78/engagement-of-princess-nathalie-and-alexander-johannsmann-january-4-2010-a-26524.html)

Lumutqueen 01-04-2010 02:22 PM

How truely wondeful. I didn't know she was in a serious relationship. Congratulations, 5 royal weddings :flowers:

principessa 01-04-2010 02:23 PM

To the post of Her Majesty:

I guess none.

I think that Princess Nathalie will take a doublename. The German name law offers you three options: One of the partners gives up his name, both remain their names, one of the partners will remain his name and get the name of his partner as a doubble name.

magnik 01-04-2010 02:27 PM

Finally!
Quote:

Originally Posted by principessa (Post 1036903)
Dear Zonk, I think we will see five big royal weddings in 2010:

Victoria and Daniel
Madeleine and Jonas
Carlos (Bourbon-Parma) and Anne
Nikolaos and Tatiana
Nathalie and Alexander

2 for Sweden
1 for Greece
1 for almost Denmark
- so 4 weddings for descendants of Gustav VI Adolf
1 for almost Netherlands

We must waite 4 days for the first royal engagements in 2010.

Her_Majesty 01-04-2010 02:29 PM

:previous: But Princess Nathalie's surname is already a double name.
Nathalie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein- Berleburg.
I think a German court recently decided that 3 surnames are not allowed.
So Nathalie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein- Berleburg-Johannsmann wouldn't be possible. ;)
But maybe she'll just keep her name and he'll recieve her surname.

magnik 01-04-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her_Majesty (Post 1036943)
So Nathalie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein- Berleburg-Johannsmann wouldn't be possible. ;)

It would be interesting.
Btw do we know any examples of royal/noble husbands who take their wifes surnames?

Do you thibk that she will wear Khedive Cartier Tiara like her sister?

Stefan 01-04-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her_Majesty (Post 1036943)
:previous: But Princess Nathalie's surname is already a double name.
Nathalie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein- Berleburg.
I think a German court recently decided that 3 surnames are not allowed.

I think in that case both keep their names as they are.

Princess Robijn 01-04-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonk (Post 1036893)
Although I am quite happy for all of the prospective brides and grooms...I do feel a bit for Richard and Carina.

You mean Gustav and Carina ;)

Josette :flowers:

jen121419 01-04-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by principessa (Post 1036871)
Billedbladet.dk is reporting that Princess Nathalie got engaged to Alexander Johannsmann.

Google Nachricht

How exciting to have all these royal weddings! :flowers:

PetraHel 01-04-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 1036955)
I think in that case both keep their names as they are.

Mr. Johannsmann wont´t get any title IMO. I have never heard that husband would get title from his wife or her family (Daniel Westling is exception proving the rule).
Does her sister use name of her husband? If yes, maybe Princess Nathalie will use her husband´s name as well, actually why not?

Lumutqueen 01-04-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetraHel (Post 1036971)
Mr. Johannsmann wont´t get any title IMO. I have never heard that husband would get title from his wife or her family (Daniel Westling is exception proving the rule).
Does her sister use name of her husband? If yes, maybe Princess Nathalie will use her husband´s name as well, actually why not?

Jonas Bergstrom, Princess Madelines fiancee will recieve a title when he marries her. Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland.
Prince Phillip recieved a title when marrying Princess Elizabeth.

Princess Alexandra is

HH Princess Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Countess of Pfeil and Klein-Ellguth.
Her husband is the Count of Pfeil and Klein-Ellguth.

magnik 01-04-2010 04:16 PM

About 2 years ago I read on Netty's site that Princess Julia Katarina von Anhalt want that her future husband would get her title. I'm not sure if he get it or no.

Getting back to our newly engage couple Nathalie's father has successor so I don't think that Alexander will take his future wife's title.

pdas1201 01-04-2010 04:17 PM

Congratulations to the couple. Indeed, 5 royal weddings next year. More fun for us here!

Tilia C. 01-04-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumutqueen (Post 1036974)
Jonas Bergstrom, Princess Madelines fiancee will recieve a title when he marries her. Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland.
Prince Phillip recieved a title when marrying Princess Elizabeth.

Princess Alexandra is

HH Princess Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Countess of Pfeil and Klein-Ellguth.
Her husband is the Count of Pfeil and Klein-Ellguth.

Usually the wife gets the title of her husband, but not the other way round. But if the father happens to be king, he can grant a title to his son in law or ensure that he can share the title of his wife. Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg does not have this power, nor is there a German king who can do it. And Queen Marghrete can't interfere with the German titles, which are only seen as part of the name anyway.
The husband of Princess Alexandra was born as a count, so his wife became a countess as well.

BELTRANEJA 01-04-2010 05:47 PM

Congratulations !!!!!! I like Princess Nathalie. 5 weddings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JessRulz 01-04-2010 06:48 PM

What wonderful news - congratulations to the couple! :flowers::flowers:

5 weddings this year (and counting) = brilliance.

Lumutqueen 01-04-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilia C. (Post 1037019)
Usually the wife gets the title of her husband, but not the other way round. But if the father happens to be king, he can grant a title to his son in law or ensure that he can share the title of his wife. Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg does not have this power, nor is there a German king who can do it. And Queen Marghrete can't interfere with the German titles, which are only seen as part of the name anyway.
The husband of Princess Alexandra was born as a count, so his wife became a countess as well.

I understand that, wifes always get the titles of the husbands.
And I also understand that King George gave Prince Phillip his title DofE.

I never said Margrethe could interfere with german titles.
I was pointing out that there were titles that had been given to future husbands.

Zonk 01-04-2010 07:13 PM

Well, I think there is a somewhat precedence but it depends on the country.

Let's see, I am not sure I would count Prince Phillip being made of DoE. He was after all a Prince of Greece and Denmark.

Queen Elizabeth made Anthony Armstrong Jones an Earl and would have done the same for Mark Phillips if he and Princess Anne agreed to it. But than Margaret and Anthony divorced and you get a new Countess of Snowdon.

Daniel and Jonas are basically assuming Victoria and Madeline's titles. Claus for Princess Beatrix and Henri for Princess Margrethe were elevated as well. But the key was that these were existing monarchies.

And that is not the case for Nathalie. Nor was it for Princess Alexia of Greece as well.

Lumutqueen 01-04-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonk (Post 1037067)
Claus for Princess Beatrix and Henri for Princess Margrethe were elevated as well. But the key was that these were existing monarchies.

I'd forgotten about those 2.
Thank you for reminding me.
It may not be a remaining monarchy but the titles still exist. :smile:

dazzling 01-05-2010 03:38 AM

Wonderful news. Was waiting for something more than dating to happen between the two.
Would be interesting to know when the wedding will take place.

Stefan 01-05-2010 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumutqueen (Post 1037069)
I'd forgotten about those 2.
Thank you for reminding me.
It may not be a remaining monarchy but the titles still exist. :smile:

No Nathales title doesn't exist anymore. Nor does any other german title. In 1919 all noble titles where abolished and became part of the surname.
And therefore it's not Prinzessin Nathalie zu Sany-Wittgenstein-Berleburg it's nathalie, Prinzessin zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg