The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Style File (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Are these outfits suitable for official events? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f97/are-these-outfits-suitable-for-official-events-25840.html)

dazzling 11-18-2009 12:24 PM

Are these outfits suitable for official events?
 
This thread is to discuss whether or not outfits worn by royals are suitable for official events they attened to. Is it too casual, to dressy etc...

Please remember this is a discussion thread and not a picture posting thread with no comments made :flowers:

Nov 15, 2009 - Princess Mathilde at the occasion of the King`s Day at the Cathedral of Brussels.
Picture

Nov 18, 2009 - Princess Letizia visited a traditional Students Residence in Madrid.
Picture

Odette 11-18-2009 12:28 PM

:previous: How "official" was the event? If they were on a morning outing, both outfits although casual, imho seem appropriate.
Does it say what they were doing when they both appeared in these outfits?:flowers:
This should turn out to be a very interesting thread.

ikram 11-18-2009 01:17 PM

IMO its depend of the event...is there others States or Government chiefs ? religious events ? very official (with army, ministers, ambassadors, foreign delegation...)
in "letizia's case" : visiting young students, by day, in spain , in students residents ...it's ok ...

magnik 11-18-2009 02:26 PM

Well I think that otufits for official visits should look much more official.
These two outfits are ok but...
Mathilde's doesn't fit to her at all! And it's terrible not only for occasion like this but for any others I think. Skirt short and to high. Shirt too big.
Letizia's is ok to visited students. This event was not so much official. Of course shoes doesn't fit to other parts of her outfit and she should wear other belt.

iowabelle 11-18-2009 06:25 PM

I think Letizia's outfit was all right, she wanted to look approachable and in touch when visiting the students.

Mathilde's was suitable to the occasion, just not very good for her figure. The blouse was overwhelming and the skirt's waistline was too high for her, given that she has such long legs. Reminds me of the old man/Peter Ustinov trick, to pull your old man pants up way past your waist so that you can forget you no longer have a waist!

Little_star 11-18-2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikram (Post 1020710)
IMO its depend of the event...is there others States or Government chiefs ? religious events ? very official (with army, ministers, ambassadors, foreign delegation...)
in "letizia's case" : visiting young students, by day, in spain , in students residents ...it's ok ...

Very true. IMO it's not just the outfit but the event in question. Moreover personally I find it very dated, old-fashioned and quite pretentious the way some Royals dress at times.

Jacknch 11-18-2009 07:26 PM

I think CP Mathilde has been carrying out her role long enough to know what to wear at most functions - it's hard to tell if her outfit is appropriate without seeing what other women were wearing. I do agree that the shape of her dress/skirt was not flattering as she has very long legs as well as being curvy of the hips and so a bell/tulip shape with a high waist is not suited to her figure (IMO!). CP Letizia wore quite a casual outfit, but it seems it was quite a casual, low-key event rather than a state occassion and she looked very respectable.

Lumutqueen 11-25-2009 03:36 PM

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

How about this "mini-dress" :flowers:

Dierna23 11-25-2009 03:59 PM

:previous:

Not suitable IMO. And it doesn't depend on the event in this case, it just doesn't suit to a Crown Princess, even less if she's in official function.

Winnie 11-25-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumutqueen (Post 1023626)
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

How about this "mini-dress" :flowers:

Certainly not my favorite but at least she did wear proper hose as nude or none would have been a blatant mistake.

rihannsu 11-25-2009 10:00 PM

I'm scratching my head on the trend of wearing black hose. I've seen CP Mary wear them as well. What? Nude hose are seen as tacky and the colored hoses are too bright? I don't think they suit either princess, especially with high heels. Maybe with boots as Madeline has worn in the past, but she is younger than both Letizia and Mary.

Turkish Delight 11-26-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzling (Post 1020685)
Nov 15, 2009 - Princess Mathilde at the occasion of the King`s Day at the Cathedral of Brussels.
Picture

Outfit by Armani.
I think it suits for an official event. It looks cool.

Her_Majesty 02-16-2010 03:41 PM

What do you think about Letizia's leather pants and leather pants in general? Are they suiteable for official engagements at all?
http://i46.tinypic.com/214qrh3.jpg
(purepeople)

ANNIE_S 02-16-2010 03:54 PM

:previous: Of course they arenīt, IMO. I wear them when I go out with friends at night.

Duke of Marmalade 02-16-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her_Majesty (Post 1051794)
What do yopu think about Letizia's leather pants and leather pants in general? Are they suiteable for official engagements at all?
http://i46.tinypic.com/214qrh3.jpg
(purepeople)

Dont mind the leather pants or boots in general, fine for private life where anyone can do what pleases.
Big NO for any official event even if visiting a biker fair since the royal is not there as private person but in order to represent the royal family or even country at times.

For me an outfit is usually wrong when it overshadows the event, especially with Letizia where media will mainly focus on her appearance like miniskirts, high heels etc, and not the cause. In my opinion a royal dressing provocative for an event means deliberately taking the focus off the cause for attention seeking purpose while dressing too casual means a lack of respect for the cause or the people attending.

One, if not the best dresser of all is the methusalem royal QE II, who has a fantastic dress sense and outfits for her age, never too casual, never provocative, never attention seeking, always suitable for the occasion, simply flawless without being boring. The young generation has a major lack of class in that sense, either too much focussed on flashy designers or careless in appearance.

NoorMeansLight 02-16-2010 04:10 PM

Shiny leather pants are appropriate for girls in their early 20's - if they have long skinny legs and generally, a gorgeous body. I don't know what she was thinking this morning - that so many people feel a bit depressed with the recession and all and need a good laugh?

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the simple black riding boots. But it's obvious that they were not appropriate for this event either.

Truth be told, I ask myself quite often lately why bother visiting Letizia's fashion threads anymore. I need to think about it more seriously, as it seems.

Lumutqueen 02-16-2010 04:26 PM

Letizia's outfit was definitely one of the worst. :ermm:

SarahAnne 02-18-2010 06:54 PM

Leather pants are definitely not appropriate for official engagements...most definitely not.

Emmily 02-18-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1051820)
Dont mind the leather pants or boots in general, fine for private life where anyone can do what pleases.
Big NO for any official event even if visiting a biker fair since the royal is not there as private person but in order to represent the royal family or even country at times.

For me an outfit is usually wrong when it overshadows the event, especially with Letizia where media will mainly focus on her appearance like miniskirts, high heels etc, and not the cause. In my opinion a royal dressing provocative for an event means deliberately taking the focus off the cause for attention seeking purpose while dressing too casual means a lack of respect for the cause or the people attending.

One, if not the best dresser of all is the methusalem royal QE II, who has a fantastic dress sense and outfits for her age, never too casual, never provocative, never attention seeking, always suitable for the occasion, simply flawless without being boring. The young generation has a major lack of class in that sense, either too much focussed on flashy designers or careless in appearance.

I like your point about taking attention away from what the cause is or the point of the visit onto herself when she dresses as she has been.

Humera 02-18-2010 08:13 PM

I agree the leather pants look out of place, particularly with the jacket.
However I'm not the cynical type and don't think that Letizia dresses this way deliberately to stand out, that would be rather presumptive. The media will always focus more on her appearance than the event and that's true of any of the stylish royal ladies out there, it's the nature of the beast.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises