The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal House of Sweden (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   June 6, 2004 - Sweden's National Day (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f22/june-6-2004-swedens-national-day-2500.html)

hrhcp 06-04-2004 09:13 PM

June 6, 2004 - Sweden's National Day

This year seems to be shaping up as something special, given a special pdf program at the Royal Court webpage:

How come ?

royal_sophietje 06-05-2004 02:16 AM

I don't know, maybe an engagement coming :innocent: ???

Alva 06-05-2004 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by King Christian@Jun 4th, 2004 - 8:13 pm
This year seems to be shaping up as something special, given a special pdf program at the Royal Court webpage:

How come ?
It has grown the last ( 4-5)years this "open castle" thing. This year 6 june is on a Sunday so more people will be able to come hence more PR? Soon the National Day will be a national holiday as well so then maybe we will start celebrating it even more!

Tomorrow, if you can watch Swedish TV youll maybe catch a glimps of me at Skansen, because Im in the choir who will sing! :P

Lena 06-05-2004 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alva It has grown the last ( 4-5)years this "open castle" thing. This year 6 june is on a Sunday so more people will be able to come hence more PR? Soon the National Day will be a national holiday as well so then maybe we will start celebrating it even more!

Tomorrow, if you can watch Swedish TV youll maybe catch a glimps of me at Skansen, because Im in the choir who will sing! :P [/b]
Last year SVT has broadcasted the show at Skansen on the net...so maybe they do it again, and so ALL can/could see Alva...at least as long as she tells us, how she looks :P

GrandDuchess 06-05-2004 08:49 AM

As said before me - they have had the "open palace" thing for the last few years on the National Day, and it has grown more and more with a lot of activities.

This year is extra special, because it is this year 250 years ago since King Adolf Fredrik and Queen Lovisa Ulrika moved in to the new palace 1754, after the old palace "Tre Kronor" burned to the ground. So this jubilee year, that is the theme for the "open palace" on the National Day.

Lena 06-05-2004 08:57 AM

I think they started with "open castle" 2 years ago (in the Stockholm 750 years jubilee-year). At least Victoria opened then firstly the big castle door for the guests. Its always a pleasure to watch this: Victoria in struggle with the door ;) I hope (and guess) that she will do it this year again.

hrhcp 06-05-2004 12:36 PM

Quote:

Alva  Posted: Jun 5th, 2004 - 5:00 am

It has grown the last ( 4-5)years this "open castle" thing.

open castle sounds far better than 'open house' ... has a more regal air about it.

Quote:

This year 6 june is on a Sunday so more people will be able to come hence more PR? Soon the National Day will be a national holiday as well so then maybe we will start celebrating it even more!
For us in Canada, July 1 is Canada Day and that is a public holiday, a highly revered holiday ... where the mood strikes people differently. Some put their all into multi-cultural participation, others do their thing in front of the Parliament Buildings, and most just hang out in the backyard with the BBQ, beer and friends. :)

Quote:

Tomorrow, if you can watch Swedish TV youll maybe catch a glimps of me at Skansen, because Im in the choir who will sing!
I hope you will be able to show a link to some pictures of your choir, Alva. I love listening to choirs.

Dennism 06-06-2004 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 5th, 2004 - 8:57 am
I think they started with "open castle" 2 years ago (in the Stockholm 750 years jubilee-year). At least Victoria opened then firstly the big castle door for the guests. Its always a pleasure to watch this: Victoria in struggle with the door ;) I hope (and guess) that she will do it this year again.
Yes. That was great. Victoria opening the big doors. A marvelous sight.

Lena 06-06-2004 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dennism@Jun 6th, 2004 - 4:11 pm
Simply beautiful. Thanks for posting them.
Yes, she looked good, BUT today in Sweden is a national holiday...and isnt there a law which prohibits the crown princess to wear a ponytail on "nationaldagen"??? :innocent:

Dennism 06-06-2004 11:27 AM

Ha ha ha. Well, that is a good question. She wore a ponytail last year too. I will have to ask my good buddy, Sven Riksdagbeslutman about it. :lol: He would know. But nonetheless, I think she looked good.

kate14 06-06-2004 12:43 PM

Lena, I agree 100%.

The "Ponytail" is getting old. The Crown Princess need a New hairdo!

hrhcp 06-06-2004 12:54 PM

Quote:

kate14  Posted: Jun 6th, 2004 - 11:43 am

The Crown Princess need a New hairdo!

I agree 1 000 %. Or get rid of those wimpy spectacles ...... something daring ... something avant garde Swedish design.

Dennism 06-06-2004 02:36 PM

Too bad because you just missed a nice tour of the Royal Palace.

A beautiful day throughout Sweden. Sunshine everwhere. That was cool. They showed how the various towns and villages are celebrating. Now the family is arriving.

hrhcp 06-06-2004 02:41 PM

oh well .... I had a tour of Drottningholm when I was in Sweden last. Just a matter of going again to see the Kungliga Slottet.

Besides with this TV stuff, I like Windows Media Player just fine. How come the Swedes are geared to RealPlayer ... do they own a chunk?

Dennism 06-06-2004 02:45 PM

Dont know. I opened up the Real Player to get a bigger picture. I prefer it over WMP anyway. This Tomas Ledin is good. Soft, summer music. I like it.

Lena 06-06-2004 03:25 PM

My first impressions:
A) The livestream is much better than last year
B ) The king looked a bit bored
C) CP Victoria wore her glasses. Which she did never before at the ceremony at Skansen. And IMO she should have kept it this way. Esp. as she always wears this "accountant-model" (I agree with KC)
D) Always when I had problems to spot Madeleine, I just searched for the darkest spot :innocent:
E) Carl Philip looked really hot-as usual
F) The festivities itself are neat and exciting. Its interesting to watch how "intensive" the Swedes celebrate the summer and the flag. Something to which Im not that "used"
G) I have to think the whole time, which one of the choir-girls could have been Alva!!!
picture of the Queen, Madeleine and Victoria

Dennism 06-06-2004 03:27 PM

The king has spoken and everybody sang "Du Gamla, Du Fria" and now they are doing this tribute to summer and it just hit a low point when they did "Summer Breeze" by Seals and Croft but now now they are doing Sinatra so things are better.

Quote:

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 6th, 2004 - 3:25 pm
My first impressions:
A) The livestream is much better than last year
C) CP Victoria wore her glasses. Which she did never before at the ceremony at Skansen. And IMO she should have kept it this way. Esp. as she always wears this "accountant-model" (I agree with KC)
D) Always when I had problems to spot Madeleine, I just searched for the darkest spot :innocent:
E) Carl Philip looked really hot-as usual
F) The festivities itself are neat. Its interesting to watch how "intensive" the Swedes celebrate the summer and the flag. Something to which Im not that "used"
G) I have to think the whole time, which one of the choir-girls could have been Alva!!!
A Did not see it last year but it is a great feed.

B. He did but I saw him flapping his program earlier so he must have liked some of the music.

C. Yes. I like the glasses.

D. Yes. As always.

E. Not one to judge but he is a good looking man.

F. I loved the flag thing. Neat that the king holds the flags too. I loved it when they came in to. I liked the marches. Good upbeat music.

I liked that guy who was on earlier. Jan Mlmsjo is his name. I think. He was good. Victoria certainly enjoyed the concert and I saw Madeleine clapping too.

hrhcp 06-06-2004 03:38 PM

Quote:

Lena  Posted: Jun 6th, 2004 - 2:25 pm

My first impressions:

The king, imho, is always looking bored this last year ..... is he doing his best to get Victoria to assume all these duties, so he can go boating.

Quote:

F) The festivities itself are neat and exciting. Its interesting to watch how "intensive" the Swedes celebrate the summer and the flag. Something to which Im not that "used"
Curious ... any comparison to the activties of the Norwegian May 17-th celebrations"

Quote:

Don't they have more variety with these (and I only know the German word, sorry) Trachtenkleider ?

Dennism 06-06-2004 03:42 PM

Yes bravo to you. Why would you want variety? They look great in those outfits. Madeleine looks about 4 years younger. I mean its funny because she is so young now but I mean just the way she looks.

hrhcp 06-06-2004 03:44 PM

Quote:

Dennism  Posted: Jun 6th, 2004 - 2:33 pm

F. .... I liked the marches. Good upbeat music.
Any chance of a link to a clip?
I'm such a clutz with mp3 and peer-something sharing of music ..... ;)

Quote:

Dennism  Posted: Jun 6th, 2004 - 2:42 pm

Why would you want variety? They look great in those outfits. Madeleine looks about 4 years younger.
Its just that this is the same outfit they wear every year.

Given the fact that the Bund (the norwegian traditional dress, that varies from town to town), I can't imagine that there is no variation across Sweden. I know in Germany, in the south there is variation from town to town, and I would imagine in Austria, there is also variation?