The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Which Royals Are Good Friends? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/which-royals-are-good-friends-2499.html)

Artemisia 04-22-2012 09:28 AM

While we are discussing Queens, here are a couple of very warm pictures of Kings and Queens:
- Queen Silvia, King Harald and Queen Margrethe from World Ski Championships 2011 (my personal favourite)
- Queen Elizabeth and Queen Sonja during state visit to Norway in 2001
- Queen Elizabeth and Queen Sofia during a visit to Madrid in 1988

MagMil 04-22-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 1402562)
The photo of Queens Sofia and Silvia is one of my favourites!

:previous:
Mine too :flowers:
They are really good friends :rose:

carlota 10-04-2012 02:01 PM

princess maxima and sheikha mozah in amsterdam:
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Bachtia112 10-31-2012 03:17 AM

I know Princess Mathilde and Princess Maxima are friends

HereditaryPrincess 10-31-2012 08:01 AM

I read that Norway and Sweden's Royal Families are very close, especially the Crown Prince couples. I also think Kate Middleton and Princess Mary appear to be friends. @Artemisia: From your pictures, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Sonja also appear to be close.

Kit 10-31-2012 09:22 AM

Denmark, Sweden and Norway are very close. Not so sure about Mary and Kate being friends.

HereditaryPrincess 10-31-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit (Post 1478807)
Denmark, Sweden and Norway are very close. Not so sure about Mary and Kate being friends.

In this article Kate Middleton and Princess Mary of Denmark are royal lookalikes in Copenhagen | Mail Online, in the picture of them together, it looks like they're friends, but it's only one article, so I could be wrong! ;)

Kit 10-31-2012 05:44 PM

Yep I know the article. But honestly I doubt that they know each other that well in order to be "friends" :-)

Daria_S 10-31-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 1478954)
In this article Kate Middleton and Princess Mary of Denmark are royal lookalikes in Copenhagen | Mail Online, in the picture of them together, it looks like they're friends, but it's only one article, so I could be wrong! ;)

I think they look very comfortable with each other, but I highly doubt that they're friends. The Cambridges don't really mix with their counterparts from the Continent, so it would be very hard to form any sort of friendship. I think it may be possible that the Wessexes are on friendly terms with the Crown Princes/Princesses of Europe, because they go to almost all of the major events like Christenings and weddings. Plus, they're closer in age and stage of life to the Heirs of Denmark, Norway, and Netherlands, than the Cambridges. It would be nice of if they formed a friendship with Victoria and Daniel of Sweden, but I don't see that happening.

Lee-Z 10-31-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhys82192 (Post 1282389)
The Royal Family of Belgium and the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg are good friends as well. King Albert II of Belgium and his family always attend Grand Duke Jean's birthday parties held every January 5. :D

well, GD Jean and King Albert II are brothers-in-law, so that's no big surprise :flowers:

Kit 10-31-2012 05:54 PM

Daniel and Sophie are definitely friends. I remember him greeting her at the Olympics and kissing her on the cheeks. It really was a great picture.

HereditaryPrincess 10-31-2012 06:04 PM

Is the Countess of Wessex friends with Charlene of Monaco? She went to Monte Carlo with Edward this year and seemed to be mingling with the Monegasque royals.

Daria_S 10-31-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit (Post 1478966)
Daniel and Sophie are definitely friends. I remember him greeting her at the Olympics and kissing her on the cheeks. It really was a great picture.

I missed that moment. Everyone was so fixated on the fact that the Cambridges snubbed Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, that something that pleasant slipped through the cracks. I'm glad they're friends. You can never have too many of those.

Lumutqueen 10-31-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess
Is the Countess of Wessex close to Albert and Charlene because she went to Monte Carlo with Edward this year?

When did she go with Edward? She went alone to Monaco.

HereditaryPrincess 10-31-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit (Post 1478959)
Yep I know the article. But honestly I doubt that they know each other that well in order to be "friends" :-)

I agree with you, as Kate doesn't see Mary that often, so they can't share a proper friendship like the Crown Prince couples do. I don't think the Cambridges make that many visits to Denmark.

HereditaryPrincess 10-31-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 1478975)
When did she go with Edward? She went alone to Monaco.

Then the picture I saw of her in Monaco with Edward must have been from a couple of years ago, or in a completely different location :lol:

I think she's wearing a pink dress in the photo and she's on the red carpet.

Lumutqueen 10-31-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess

Then the picture I saw of her in Monaco with Edward must have been from a couple of years ago, or in a completely different location :lol:

I think she's wearing a pink dress in the photo and she's on the red carpet.

This pink dress?
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...-ball-in-pink-

HereditaryPrincess 10-31-2012 06:22 PM

Ah, yes, that's the one! Oops! ;)

Grandduchess24 10-31-2012 06:48 PM

It seems like all the heirs to the thrones are friends
Willem Alexander & maxima
Victoria & Daniel
Frederik & Mary
All the European queens must be good friends too
Queen margarethe and Queen Beatrix
Queen Sofia and queen Sonja

The British, Danish, Greek and Spanish royals must be close seeing as how they are family
Also
Crown prince Alexander of Yugoslavia, Constantine II of Greece, Michael I of Romania, king harald V of Norway and king Carl XVI gustaf of Sweden too

I wonder out of all the monarchs who are queen Elizabeth IIs friends ?

An Ard Ri 10-31-2012 07:01 PM

The Greeks and Bulgarians are possibly the closest to the Spanish Royal Family.

Kit 10-31-2012 07:02 PM

Maybe Queen Beatrix? She was greeting HM at the Jubilee Dinner with a very warm embrace.

Archduchess Zelia 10-31-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 (Post 1479004)
Queen margarethe and Queen Beatrix
Queen Sofia and queen Sonja

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and Queen Sonja of Norway in particular are incredibly good friends. They've been skiing together in Norway for years now and there are so many pictures of them having a really good time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 (Post 1479004)
I wonder out of all the monarchs who are queen Elizabeth IIs friends ?

I have always thought that HM is closest to King Constantine II of Greece and the Greek branch, probably because of the DoE's greek ancestry. Also King Baudoin of Belgium, whose funeral she attended herself, maybe?

PssKatie 10-31-2012 09:47 PM

I remember seeing a lovely picture from the Olympics of Princess Anne hugging and laughing with Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne-Marie at an event. I'll see if I can find it. It really was a great photo.

Edit: Found it. Love it.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/london-gam...pg&h=412&w=732

Daria_S 10-31-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit (Post 1479009)
Maybe Queen Beatrix? She was greeting HM at the Jubilee Dinner with a very warm embrace.

I remember reading about that several times on this forum. The greeting between them was indeed very, very warm. I think they're indeed friends with one another.

AnnEliza 11-21-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PssKatie (Post 1479042)
I remember seeing a lovely picture from the Olympics of Princess Anne hugging and laughing with Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne-Marie at an event. I'll see if I can find it. It really was a great photo.

Edit: Found it. Love it.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/london-gam...pg&h=412&w=732

Wow, I love it too!

MagMil 11-21-2012 02:55 AM

:previous:
Amazing picture :flowers: I also love it!

Osipi 11-21-2012 03:02 AM

Thanks for posting that picture. its priceless.

sancakli70 04-15-2013 03:21 PM

In my opinion the scandinavian royals are each other good friends

muriel 04-16-2013 01:08 PM

The picture is from the Olympics where the daughters of Princess Anne and Princess Benedikte were competing. My guess is that this picture is from when Zara won her silver medal.

carlota 04-16-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 1478797)
I also think Kate Middleton and Princess Mary appear to be friends. .

Not so sure about Mary and Kate being friends either... they have only met each other once probably, frederik and mary didn't even attend the royal wedding in london. on top of that, the ages between both couples are different, so i doubt they have very much in common..

HereditaryPrincess 04-16-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota (Post 1540313)
Not so sure about Mary and Kate being friends either... they have only met each other once probably, frederik and mary didn't even attend the royal wedding in london. on top of that, the ages between both couples are different, so i doubt they have very much in common..

I posted that in October last year (I was new to the forums at the time), and I have learnt lots since then. Now, I think that Mary and Catherine don't really know each other that well since they have only met once, and that they're probably not good friends.

christythedreamer 06-23-2013 12:17 AM

How about Maxima and Letizia? They both speak Spanish

Duchess Marie 06-23-2013 03:33 PM

Personally i always thought that Beatrice and Harry where really close.

BrazilianEmpire 06-23-2013 03:36 PM

Princess Cristina of Brazil (neé Princess of Ligne) and Archduchess Marie Astrid of Austria (neé Princess of Luxembourg).

They are first cousins and very close to each other.

biru 06-28-2013 10:37 AM

Are CP Mette-Marit and CP Mary of Denmark close firiend? I've seen a photo where Mary hugged Mette-Marit warmly, so I think both of them are close

HereditaryPrincess 06-28-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christythedreamer (Post 1567383)
How about Maxima and Letizia? They both speak Spanish

I've been wondering about them too. I remember reading somewhere (it might've been on this forum) that Infanta Leonor and Infanta Sofia have met the Dutch Princesses. From that, I think Maxima and Letizia might be friends.

I also wonder if Queen Margrethe is friends with Elizabeth II as she appeared on the documentary "Our Queen". I would imagine that Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Victoria and Crown Prince Frederik are friends as I remember reading that their families are close.

I think Princess Beatrix and Elizabeth II are friends as well.

NGalitzine 06-28-2013 03:23 PM

^^^^
QMII could not have stayed with QEII during WWII as the Danish royal family remained in Denmark throughout the war. I am sure the 2 ladies do know each other since QMII studied in England, met her husband in London, has a sister who lives in London and QMII is known to shop annually in London so she has had plenty of opportunities to meet privately with QEII,,,,,just not during the war.

HereditaryPrincess 06-28-2013 03:31 PM

Thank you for the information, I've corrected my post. :smile:

dbarn67 06-28-2013 04:07 PM

Ahead of the Prince William's wedding Queen Margrethe II stayed at Buckingham Palace as a guest. That makes me think Queen Margreth and Queen Elizabeth have a good informal relationship.

Archduchess Zelia 06-28-2013 05:32 PM

In regards to QMII and QEII, I too think they're friends (or at least have a nice relationship to each other), but the one I really can imagine QMII having the time of her life with is Prince Philip. I think the two of them have the same sort of humour and on the pictures I have seen of them together, they always look like they're happy to see each other. I particularly love this picture.

HereditaryPrincess 06-29-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia (Post 1569270)
In regards to QMII and QEII, I too think they're friends (or at least have a nice relationship to each other), but the one I really can imagine QMII having the time of her life with is Prince Philip. I think the two of them have the same sort of humour and on the pictures I have seen of them together, they always look like they're happy to see each other. I particularly love this picture.

That's a lovely photo, I haven't seen it before. It looks like they enjoy each other's company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarn67 (Post 1569243)
Ahead of the Prince William's wedding Queen Margrethe II stayed at Buckingham Palace as a guest. That makes me think Queen Margreth and Queen Elizabeth have a good informal relationship.

I didn't know that Queen Margrethe stayed at Buckingham Palace during the royal wedding, thanks for the information. :smile:

***

I found a nice photo of Queen Margarethe and HM at the Golden Jubilee Dinner in 2002:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...r_2220186b.jpg

christythedreamer 07-03-2013 10:34 AM

Mary and Marie seem to be friendly With each other too. I'm not sure if they should be included in this thread (if not, then I apologise!) as they are in-laws.

Anyway, they don't seem particularly close in front of people but they exchange children's clothes (see Athena's pink snow suit that is also worn by Isabella and Josephine before), I guess they have to be friendly enough to share clothes right?

fortimo 07-04-2013 09:28 AM

This article writes, that the CP-Pair of Belgium and Norway are good friends and meet regularly:
Belgias kong Albert går av
Google Fordító

carlota 07-15-2013 02:04 PM

charlene gave an interview to the times, where she talked about various things, and in particular how her and maxima are close friends, and how maxima has supported her adjusting into her new role. here's what she said:

"Maxima has been unbelievably supportive if I need help with anything," Charlene revealed. "Because she came from Argentina and moved to Holland, we have made similar lifestyle choices. She has given me advice that I identified with."

Princess Charlene on wedding rumours and her friendship with Queen Maxima - hellomagazine.com

christythedreamer 07-16-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota (Post 1575318)
charlene gave an interview to the times, where she talked about various things, and in particular how her and maxima are close friends, and how maxima has supported her adjusting into her new role. here's what she said:

"Maxima has been unbelievably supportive if I need help with anything," Charlene revealed. "Because she came from Argentina and moved to Holland, we have made similar lifestyle choices. She has given me advice that I identified with."

Princess Charlene on wedding rumours and her friendship with Queen Maxima - hellomagazine.com

That's unexpected. I always kind of thought that the Monaco family is kinda isolated from other royals and more close to celebs/rich people.

carlota 09-01-2013 06:05 PM

a nice picture of maxima, mary and MM getting a picture taken together at the royal wedding in stockholm, under the amused watch of frederik, haakon, WA and beatrix

Galería de imágenes - Foto 3 - Álbum de una Boda Real

polyesco 10-30-2013 01:02 PM

Frederik, Haakon and Victoria seem to have a warm relationship and good rapport between each other.

Some gifs of them during an expedition they did a few years ago,:flowers:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/f3d8518c4...4lwho1_500.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d08a12d05...4lwho2_500.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/0a0ae71a7...4lwho3_500.gif

BrazilianEmpire 10-30-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polyesco (Post 1613824)
Frederik, Haakon and Victoria seem to have a warm relationship and good rapport between each other.

Some gifs of them during an expedition they did a few years ago,:flowers:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/f3d8518c4...4lwho1_500.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d08a12d05...4lwho2_500.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/0a0ae71a7...4lwho3_500.gif

Oh, that was very funny!!

Does Queen Margrethe II, King Harald V, King Carl XVI Gustaf and their spouses enjoy such a warm relationship?

carlota 12-14-2013 01:16 PM

i liked this article on how masako started feeling better after coming to WA and maxima´s coronation earlier this year. masako wasn't going to travel to the netherlands but did so after maxima convinced her to come on a private phone call. it was masako´s first official trip abroad in 11 years.

naruhito and masako are good friends with WA and Maxima and previously spent time in the netherlands working on masako´s recuperation following their invitation.


maxima certainly seems to have integrated well in royal circles. we know for sure she´s good friends with mathilde, mette marit, letizia, masako and charlene on a private dimension, and not just because of their position, with both masako and charlene reporting what a good help and influence she has been helping them in their roles.


Máxima de Holanda, clave en la recuperación de la princesa Masako

Moonmaiden23 12-14-2013 02:40 PM

Maxima sounds like an amazing woman. I admire her more and more. How fortunate for the Netherlands that W-A was smart enough to marry her!:whistling:

episcogal 12-14-2013 10:19 PM

I created a story board that shows Baudouin & Fabiola's friendships with other royals

Royal Friends

Akihito and Michiko were/are good friends, and they give credit to Baudouin as the one who did the most to make it possible for them to be together. They were separated with Michiko being sent to Europe. Akihito reached out to Baudouin, who not only spoke to Hirohito about the importance of the right spouse for a sovereign. He also took all of Akihito's letters to Michiko in Europe after no Japanese diplomats would help.

Juan Carlos and Sofia (with whom they vacationed virtually every summer). Baudouin learned Spanish and was very happy during his vacations in Spain.

He was close to Juliana and Beatrix and Baudouin pretty much grew up together.

He was also very friendly with QEII.

Harald of Norway was his cousin, so there are a lot of pics of them with Olav and their family.

He was quite close to his sister, Josephine-Charlotte and their children were close nieces/nephews, particularly Margaretha with Fabiola. And, of course the Luxembourg and Belgium families are all related.

I'm on another royal board where they were just stumped as to the political or etiquette reasons why QEII would attend Baudouin's funeral. It's because they were FRIENDS, and she looked up to him. Their stories were similar in many ways about taking on responsibility early in life and their strict adherence to duty and having a wild sibling. :cool:

He seemed to be very friendly with the last Shah, and Fabiola remains close to Empress Farah Pahlavi.

I also get a distinct feeling that he was on very friendly terms with Haile Selassie.

He was a remarkable man and Fabiola is remarkable - both for their openness and friendly personalities.

nascarlucy 12-19-2013 08:48 PM

I've always thought that Princess Victoria of Sweden would be a good friend and although I don't of course know her personally something about him gives me this impression.

polyesco 01-21-2014 12:03 AM

gifs of Haakon, Frederik and Victoria, during trip to study climate change, 2010? i think
http://25.media.tumblr.com/274909cd7...4lwho2_250.gif

http://31.media.tumblr.com/11a35d060...4lwho5_250.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/3dfb515e8...4lwho8_250.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/b61acd9de...4lwho3_250.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/23007a47c...4lwho4_250.gif

carlota 02-13-2014 03:52 AM

yet another fan of maxima: marie chantal, in this interview, confesses herself as a fan of maxima and says:

"she´s perfect. i want my children to be like her, to have that sense of confidence in every situation"

maxima seems to make an impression on people from all walks of life, with MM, mathilde, marie chantal, charlene, masako all being good friends.

Marie-Chantal de Grecia: «Doña Sofía tiene un sentido del deber insuperable» - ABC.es

Quote:

«Es perfecta. Quiero que mis hijos sean como ella, que tengan esa misma seguridad en todas las circunstancias», dice con entusiasmo.
and yet more from the same article from tatiana santo domingo's admiration for marie chantal's work, who said she loved her designs and made gifts from her brand to pregnant friends of hers. she said she received gifts for sacha from her shop also.

carlota 03-06-2014 01:37 PM

while visiting greece for the anniversary of queen sofia's father, pavlos, marie chantal published several candid pictures of her with other spanish and greek royals, including the infantas and alexia, with the caption "with my favourite spanish ladies".

El 'selfie' de las Infantas | loc | EL MUNDO

HereditaryPrincess 03-30-2014 04:56 PM

Here's an interesting article from Noblesse & Royautes about the friendship of Princess Alia of Jordan and the Spanish Royals:

Alia de Jordanie : son amitié avec la famille royale d’Espagne | Noblesse & Royautés

carlota 05-10-2014 05:26 AM

a picture of mary and marie going together to the theatre, for the media who say that they don't get on together... :)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ctM8M_HQ8B...ive235829.jpeg

Mbruno 05-17-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisiñaki (Post 493366)
I agree with you, and QEII is related to the Spanish Royal Family; Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain ( King Juan Carlos' grandmother) was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria...;)


Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, King Juan Carlos of Spain, Queen Sofia of Spain, King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, and King Harald V of Norway are all great-great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom.

In addition, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, King Harald V , Queen Margrethe II , Queen Sofia, and former King Albert II of Belgium are all great-great-grandchildren of King Christian IX of Denmark.

In fact, King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands is currently the only European king descended from neither Queen Victoria nor King Christian IX. He is however a rather distant relative of all other European monarchs through their common descent from King George II of the United Kingdom.

Mbruno 05-17-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henri M. (Post 491129)
Maybe Queen Elizatbeth II sees Queen Beatrix as the only one who is able to overpower her in glitter and glam, in pomp and circumstance and in radiating distant majesty. I sense a sort of respectful distance between the two. Both Majesties treat each other as Majesties. Not as Trixie and Lillibet.

That would make sense as, following the abolition of the monarchy in Germany/Prussia, the House of Orange-Nassau probably became the second most prestigious Protestant royal house in Europe after the Windsors, with the Swedish royal house coming a distant third IMHO. The Dutch royal family also happens to be much wealthier than most of their continental European peers.

Ish 05-17-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1665980)
Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, King Juan Carlos of Spain, Queen Sofia of Spain, King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, and King Harald V of Norway are all great-great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom.

In addition, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, King Harald V , Queen Margrethe II , Queen Sofia, and former King Albert II of Belgium are all great-great-grandchildren of King Christian IX of Denmark.

In fact, King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands is currently the only European king descended from neither Queen Victoria nor King Christian IX. He is however a rather distant relative of all other European monarchs through their common descent from King George II of the United Kingdom.

Not all European monarchs are descended from George II. The closest common ancestor of all hereditary European monarchs is Johan Willem Friso of Orange, Prince of Orange.

The argument that all kings (and Queens) of Europe are descended from either Victoria or Christian IX (or both) except Willem-Alexander also doesn't take into consideration that not all European monarchies are kingdoms. If memory serves, neither Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein nor Albert II of Monaco are descended from Victoria, Christian IX, or George II. . I'm also pretty sure that Henri of Luxembourg isn't descended from Victoria or Christian IX.

Mbruno 05-17-2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ish (Post 1665992)
Not all European monarchs are descended from George II. The closest common ancestor of all hereditary European monarchs is Johan Willem Friso of Orange, Prince of Orange.

The argument that all kings (and Queens) of Europe are descended from either Victoria or Christian IX (or both) except Willem-Alexander also doesn't take into consideration that not all European monarchies are kingdoms. If memory serves, neither Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein nor Albert II of Monaco are descended from Victoria, Christian IX, or George II. . I'm also pretty sure that Henri of Luxembourg isn't descended from Victoria or Christian IX.

Yes, you are right. What I meant was that all current reigning monarchs of European kingdoms (i.e excluding sovereign princes and grand dukes) descend from George II, which is a fact.

JR76 05-17-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ish (Post 1665992)
Not all European monarchs are descended from George II. The closest common ancestor of all hereditary European monarchs is Johan Willem Friso of Orange, Prince of Orange.

The argument that all kings (and Queens) of Europe are descended from either Victoria or Christian IX (or both) except Willem-Alexander also doesn't take into consideration that not all European monarchies are kingdoms. If memory serves, neither Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein nor Albert II of Monaco are descended from Victoria, Christian IX, or George II. . I'm also pretty sure that Henri of Luxembourg isn't descended from Victoria or Christian IX.


Henri of Luxemburg is actually a descendant of Christian IX through Princess Ingeborg of Sweden, granddaughter of CIX and great grandmother of HOL

Iluvbertie 05-18-2014 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1665980)
Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, King Juan Carlos of Spain, Queen Sofia of Spain, King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, and King Harald V of Norway are all great-great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom.

In addition, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, King Harald V , Queen Margrethe II , Queen Sofia, and former King Albert II of Belgium are all great-great-grandchildren of King Christian IX of Denmark.

In fact, King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands is currently the only European king descended from neither Queen Victoria nor King Christian IX. He is however a rather distant relative of all other European monarchs through their common descent from King George II of the United Kingdom.


Don't know about all the others but do know that Philip is only a great-grandchild of Christian IX of Denmark - Christian - William (George I of the Hellenes) - Andrew - Philip.

The Queen is definitely a great-great-grandchild - Christian - Alexandra - George V - George VI - Elizabeth.

Duc_et_Pair 05-18-2014 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ish (Post 1665992)
Not all European monarchs are descended from George II. The closest common ancestor of all hereditary European monarchs is Johan Willem Friso of Orange, Prince of Orange.

It is Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange.

:flowers:

The Prince had only two children but due to a succesful marriage policy, he became the closest common ancestor of all hereditary European monarchs.

His son Willem IV of Orange-Nassau would marry Anne of Great Britain and Hannover, The Princess Royal, after the Stuarts the first Hannover in the genealogical tree of the Oranges.

His daughter Amalia of Orange-Nassau married at the first eye not so prestigious: with Friedrich Prince von Baden-Durlach, but their son would -as Markgraf, Kurfürst and Grand Duke of Baden - and a Reign of 73 years (!) become one of the most influential monarchs of his time.

Mbruno 05-18-2014 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 1666004)
Don't know about all the others but do know that Philip is only a great-grandchild of Christian IX of Denmark - Christian - William (George I of the Hellenes) - Andrew - Philip.

The Queen is definitely a great-great-grandchild - Christian - Alexandra - George V - George VI - Elizabeth.

Yes, that is correct.

The other lines from Christian IX are as follows:

Christian IX - Frederick VIII- Christian X- Frederick IX - Margrethe II

Christian IX - Frederick VIII- Ingeborg of Denmark- Astrid of Sweden -Albert II of Belgium


Queen Sofia of Spain on the other hand descends from Christian IX on two lines:

Christian IX- George I of Greece - Constantine I of Greece - Paul of Greece- Queen Sofia

Christian IX - Princess Thyra of Denmark- Ernst August, Duke of Brunswick-Princess Frederika of Hanover-Queen Sofia

Finally, King Harald V is also a great-great-grandson of Christian IX in two lines:

Christian IX- Princess Alexandra of Denmark- Maud of Wales - Olav V of Norway- Harald V of Norway

Christian IX- Frederick VIII of Denmark- Haakon VII of Norway - Olav V of Norway -Harald V of Norway.

The lines from Queen Victoria on the other hand are:

Queen Victoria- Princess Alice- Princess Victoria of Hesse and by the Rhine- Princess Alice of Battenberg-Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

Queen Victoria - Edward VII - George V- George VI- Elizabeth II

Queen Victoria- Edward VII- Maud of Wales-Olav V of Norway- Harald V of Norway

Queen Victoria - Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught- Princess Margareth of Connaught - Ingrid of Sweden-Margrethe II of Denmark


Queen Victoria- The Princess Beatrice - Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg- Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona- Juan Carlos of Spain.

King Carl XVI Gustaf in turn is a great-great-grandson of Queen Victoria in two lines, as shown below.

Queen Victoria - Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught- Princess Margareth of Connaught - Prince Gustav Adolf, Duke of Västerbotten- Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden

Queen Victoria- Prince Leoplod, Duke of Albany- Charles Edward, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha- Princess Sybilla of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha- Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden

Similarly, Queen Sofia is a great-great-granddaughter of Victoria in one line and a great- great- great-granddaughter in another.

Queen Victoria-Victoria, Princess Royal- Sophia of Greece- Paul I of Greece- Sofia of Spain.

Queen Victoria- Victoria, Princess Royal- Wilheim II, German Emperor-Princess Viktoria Luise of Prussia-Frederika of Hanover-Sofia of Spain


King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands is distantly related to all of the above , as I claimed before, by their common descent from George II of the United Kingdom

George II - Anne, Princess Royal- Willem V, Prince of Orange- Willem I of the Netherlands-Willem II of the Netherlands-Willem III of the Netherlands- Wilhemina-Juliana-Beatrix-Willem Alexander.

George II - Frederick, Prince of Wales- George III of the United Kingdom-Prince Edward, Duke of Kent-Queen Victoria-{aforementioned royal lines}.

George II- Princess Louise of Great Britain- Princess Louise of Denmark and Norway-Louise Caroline, Duchess of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg- Christian IX - {aforementioned royal lines}.

carlota 09-14-2014 05:30 AM

another fan of WA and maxima, prince felix of luxembourg answers, when asked which royals he is closest too, points out to the king and queen of the netherlands, saying that "he knows them best" and that the dutch royals are like family to them. you can see the interview through the link below, the interview is in english.

Exclusief interview met prins Felix en prinses Claire

Duc_et_Pair 09-14-2014 06:24 AM

The Nassaus and Orange-Nassaus are indeed related. Félix is double related with the children of Princess Irene via the shared Bourbon-Parma ancestry. The couple live in a provençal paradise at their Château les Crostes. The views are unbeatable. It is a pity that the original 17th C view on the typical provençal château is quite destroyed by that too nouveau-riche looking swimmingpool, almost glued to it (plus that helicopter deck in the park). I would have chosen for a more classic rectangular pool with mosaïque tiles and lined by those typical cipresses but okay, that is my personal preference.

I am not sure Prince Félix and his spouse Claire are really befriended with the Oranges. They just know them and that is it. He told that the members of European royal families meet each other also outside the publicity but it is difficult to arrrange something because of the many different schedules and agendas.

Château les Crostes now: http://quintessentiallytravel.com/as...c05bf7fa7f.JPG

Château les Crostes in 1958:
http://www.chateau-les-crostes.eu/si...u_Doisneau.jpg

LadyFinn 01-13-2016 01:25 AM

According to Roger Lundgren, the editor-in-chief of Kungliga magasinet, who has written The "Jubileumsbok" book of queen Silvia in 2013, queen Silvia and princess Takamado are good friends.

carlota 03-04-2016 07:04 PM

GD Maria teresa gave an interview on improving the transparency of the luxembourg royalty.

she added "When I look around us," she concludes, "I think few would dispute that for Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden and even Jordan, it's an asset to have a spouse who, with the head of the state, contributes to the influence of the monarchy."

i understand this is an acknowledgement of the admiration of the grand duchess towards the role that letizia, maxima, mathilde, daniel and rania are doing as royal spouses...

http://www.wort.lu/en/luxembourg/int...ea9dff8fa73e9f

polyesco 03-04-2016 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota (Post 1868866)

i understand this is an acknowledgement of the admiration of the grand duchess towards the role that letizia, maxima, mathilde, daniel and rania are doing as royal spouses...

Luxemburger Wort - "Transparent" monarchy: the court is prepared to face a tribunal

Wouldn't it be Silvia and not Daniel as the spouse of the head of state (Carl Gustaf) :flowers:

polyesco 03-21-2016 04:53 PM

CP Frederik and CP Haakon joining in a ski race together
http://www.seher.no/imgfly/941/529/s...?itok=UWZRSbCW

and back in the 70s.
http://80.91.34.200/previews2/sp/8/0...r_sp802a4f.jpg

Princess Squirrel 06-17-2017 07:23 PM

Royal women as friends
 
I was wondering which royal ladies might be friends. I read that the Duchess of Cambridge was quite friendly with Crown Princess Mary of Denmark. Just interested in who else could be pals. I thought maybe Kate Middleton had something in common with Sophie Countess of Wessex or perhaps Princess Charlene of Monaco. Does anyone know?

LadyFinn 06-18-2017 02:38 AM

Crown princesses Victoria and Mette-Marit are close friends.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Victoria and Mary are also friends.

Countessmeout 06-18-2017 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Squirrel (Post 1994724)
I was wondering which royal ladies might be friends. I read that the Duchess of Cambridge was quite friendly with Crown Princess Mary of Denmark. Just interested in who else could be pals. I thought maybe Kate Middleton had something in common with Sophie Countess of Wessex or perhaps Princess Charlene of Monaco. Does anyone know?

Other then at her wedding and things like ascot, Kate has met Mary once, when in Denmark on a one day tour. The tabloids have turned that into sharing fashion advice. Kate has had little interaction with the continental royals other then at things like war memorials. Kate and Sophie are well over a decade apart in age, while I assume they get along, I don't see them being chummy.

The only British royals who tend to rub elbows with continentals, except on tours or official events are the Wessexes and Yorks. The Wessexes attend private parties as well as weddings. We have seen the York girls at continental weddings, like Amadeo.

Victoria is quite close to MM and Mary. Likely due to the fact that she has been very close to their husbands growing up.

The Wessexes seem on quite good terms with Charlene and Albert.

http://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalty/...-grand-prix/3/

JR76 06-18-2017 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyFinn (Post 1994796)
Crown princesses Victoria and Mette-Marit are close friends.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Victoria and Mary are also friends.

Victoria is also friendly with Märtha-Louise. In general all the Scandinavians are friends.

Lee-Z 06-18-2017 03:42 AM

Somewhat older interview of P.Charlene talking about her friendship to Q.Maxima
from hello magazine

JR76 06-18-2017 11:32 AM

Isnt Maxima quite friendly with Masako? I remember a private visit to the Netherlands of Naruhitos family some years back & wasnt it Maxima herself that alledgedly called Masako up & persuaded her to come to Willem-Alexanders Inaugoration?

Marengo 06-18-2017 04:40 PM

It seems they are friendly indeed. But I suspect that the main reason why CPss Masako went to the Netherlands in 2013 and before is because her parents are living in The Hague. Her father is a judge at the international court of justice. According to the press at the time, the IHA did not look favorably on private visits abroad, which is why the inauguration could be used as an easy 'cover' .

Empress Merel 06-18-2017 05:18 PM

The Brits, besides the Wessexes and the York princesses, don't really seem to be on a friends or even an acquaintances type of relationship with most of the continentals, but the continentals are all friends or good acquaintances. You can tell by the amount of Royals that turn up for celebrations of other foreign Royals. Even the Casiraghi's are on friends level with some.

I've always found it a shame Prince Harry and the Cambridges don't seem to seek out a relationship with the Continentals. Imo, they could learn loads from them plus quite a few are in their age group and live similar lives with young children.

muriel 06-19-2017 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 1994800)
Other then at her wedding and things like ascot, Kate has met Mary once, when in Denmark on a one day tour. The tabloids have turned that into sharing fashion advice. Kate has had little interaction with the continental royals other then at things like war memorials. Kate and Sophie are well over a decade apart in age, while I assume they get along, I don't see them being chummy.

The only British royals who tend to rub elbows with continentals, except on tours or official events are the Wessexes and Yorks. The Wessexes attend private parties as well as weddings. We have seen the York girls at continental weddings, like Amadeo.

Victoria is quite close to MM and Mary. Likely due to the fact that she has been very close to their husbands growing up.

The Wessexes seem on quite good terms with Charlene and Albert.

Charlene's friendship with Sophie well on track at Grand Prix - Photo 3

Whilst I am not suggesting that Mary and Catherine are close friends, what we can be absolutely sure of is that we do not know who, in royal cirlces, has met whom, when and where. They do meet privately and outside the glare of the camera, and we tend not to know about it at all. In 2012, we heard that Silvia had spent time at Highgrove with C&C, but only when the KIng referred to the meeting / weekend when at an official dinner in Stockholm when C&C were visiting.

An Ard Ri 06-19-2017 05:47 AM

The Spanish Royal Family seem to be closest to the Greek cousins and the Bulgarian RF ,in the past they were close with the Princely Family of Monaco.I'm not sure if Letizia really has any close friends with the European Royal houses.

Princess Squirrel 06-19-2017 05:04 PM

I don't think a decade or more of an age gap precludes friendship. I'm 52 and very good friends with a 35 year old. I'm sure Sophie Wessex is just as interested in fashion as Catherine of Cambridge, and though her children are a little older, they aren't adults, indeed I think she could give advice to Kate on what to expect as George and Charlotte get older.

Florestane 06-21-2017 01:22 PM

Mette-Marit and Beatrice Borromeo are friendly. Privately Queen Elizabeth enjoys friendly relationships with Queen Margarethe and Beatrix of the Netherlands. There was some socialising with Constantine and Anne-Marie as well.

Muhler 06-21-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1995028)
Whilst I am not suggesting that Mary and Catherine are close friends, what we can be absolutely sure of is that we do not know who, in royal cirlces, has met whom, when and where. They do meet privately and outside the glare of the camera, and we tend not to know about it at all. In 2012, we heard that Silvia had spent time at Highgrove with C&C, but only when the KIng referred to the meeting / weekend when at an official dinner in Stockholm when C&C were visiting.

I don't think Mary and Kate are particularly close. At least not yet, that may come. They have AFAIK only met a handful of times and mostly on the job.
Mary is however very close to Victoria and Daniel and Mette-Marit Haakon and Queen Maxima and King W-A.
And in recent years obviously also King Felipe, Queen Mathilde and Prince Albert. - Certainly close enough to visit them privately and appearing very much at ease in their company.
And more discreetly though also Marie-Chantal.
- The names here are those I will personally label as "confirmed personal friends".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Squirrel (Post 1995140)
I don't think a decade or more of an age gap precludes friendship. I'm 52 and very good friends with a 35 year old. I'm sure Sophie Wessex is just as interested in fashion as Catherine of Cambridge, and though her children are a little older, they aren't adults, indeed I think she could give advice to Kate on what to expect as George and Charlotte get older.

I agree. As you get older (30+) the age-gap doesn't mean that much.

JR76 06-21-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florestane (Post 1995680)
Mette-Marit and Beatrice Borromeo are friendly. Privately the Queen enjoys friendly relationships with Queen Margarethe and Beatrix of the Netherlands. There was some socialising with Constantine and Anne-Marie as well.

QEII is also a very good friend of Queen Sonja.

nascarlucy 07-06-2017 06:44 PM

I would say Queen Elizabeth would be a good friend.

scriptgirl 10-16-2017 09:17 PM

I do know Maxima is close to the heirs to the Japanese throne, particularly the Crown Princess.

TLLK 10-16-2017 11:41 PM

Quote:

I do know Maxima is close to the heirs to the Japanese throne, particularly the Crown Princess.
Honestly I believe that Maxima is closer to her European heirs due to the fact that they're on the same continent. It's easier for W-A and Maxima to invite them for private weekend events at Het Loo or to go see them.(There have been more photos of the Dutch royals with their European counterparts than with the Japanese ones.) With Japan, it's not as relaxed as the European courts.

Molly2101 10-17-2017 01:41 PM

I'm sure Charlene said in an interview that she includes Sophie as one of her good friends.

Somebody 10-17-2017 01:46 PM

Charlene seems to have said the same about Máxima but I haven't seen anything that suggests even remotely that (she even didn't attend Willem-Alexander's inauguration). So, so far Charlene's close relationships with other royals mainly seem to be wishful thinking on her part (or her wish to please the media of the country she is talking with by stressing good relationships with one of their royals).

Duc_et_Pair 10-17-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 2028466)
Honestly I believe that Maxima is closer to her European heirs due to the fact that they're on the same continent. It's easier for W-A and Maxima to invite them for private weekend events at Het Loo or to go see them.(There have been more photos of the Dutch royals with their European counterparts than with the Japanese ones.) With Japan, it's not as relaxed as the European courts.

The father of Crown Princess Masako is a Lord Justice at the Interantional Court of Justice in The Hague, reason for her to make frequent trips to the Netherlands. Once the Crown Prince and his family stayed for a holiday at the mediaeval hunting lodge of the Dutch royal family. As the late Prince Claus (spouse of Princess Beatrix, father of King Willem-Alexander) suffered severe depressions from 1982 until his death in 2004, there is a lot of empathy and understanding towards the Japanese Crown Princess. Reason for the couple to attend the three days of festivities around the Investiture of the King in 2013. So I think the relationship with the Japanese CP couple is intensive.

Moonmaiden23 10-17-2017 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2028686)
Charlene seems to have said the same about Máxima but I haven't seen anything that suggests even remotely that (she even didn't attend Willem-Alexander's inauguration). So, so far Charlene's close relationships with other royals mainly seem to be wishful thinking on her part (or her wish to please the media of the country she is talking with by stressing good relationships with one of their royals).

I've been observing the former Charlene Lynette Wittstock for almost a decade. I honestly don't believe she cares about closeness or relationships with any of her Royal peers, still less about pleasing their respective medias. That might have been true for about the first year of her marriage but now she can't seem to be bothered. She ducked out of King Harald's birthday celebrations without even an explanation.:sad:

Her world seems to revolve around her babies, her charities and her roots to preserving her ties to her South African homeland, period

scriptgirl 10-17-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2028746)
I've been observing the former Charlene Lynette Wittstock for almost a decade. I honestly don't believe she cares about closeness or relationships with any of her Royal peers, still less about pleasing their respective medias. That might have been true for about the first year of her marriage but now she can't seem to be bothered. She ducked out of King Harald's birthday celebrations without even an explanation.:sad:

Her world seems to revolve around her babies, her charities and her roots to preserving her ties to her South African homeland, period

Well good for Charlene for following her own path and pleasing no one but herself. I think her priorities are sound.

TLLK 10-17-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2028690)
The father of Crown Princess Masako is a Lord Justice at the Interantional Court of Justice in The Hague, reason for her to make frequent trips to the Netherlands. Once the Crown Prince and his family stayed for a holiday at the mediaeval hunting lodge of the Dutch royal family. As the late Prince Claus (spouse of Princess Beatrix, father of King Willem-Alexander) suffered severe depressions from 1982 until his death in 2004, there is a lot of empathy and understanding towards the Japanese Crown Princess. Reason for the couple to attend the three days of festivities around the Investiture of the King in 2013. So I think the relationship with the Japanese CP couple is intensive.

Yes I agree with what you have shared regarding the Dutch and Japanese families, but I would argue that TM's European counterparts have more flexibility when it comes to "get-together" opportunity than their Japanese ones. IMO distance is not the only thing that keeps the Imperial family apart from their European peers. They live a far more structured life based upon the protocol of the Imperial court.

Moonmaiden23 10-17-2017 05:26 PM

The Scandi royals-Denmark, Sweden and Norway-seem to treat one another as family. It's really fun to watch them all together.

Pierre Casiraghi is good friends with Felix of Luxembourg. They attended each other's lavish weddings. Guillaume was on hand for Prince Albert's Enthronement ceremony in 2005 and I remember seeing a photo of Gui, Andrea and Pierre enjoying some type of sporting event at Stade Louis II during the week of the ceremony.

Speaking of Guillaume, before his marriage he seemed to enjoy a brother/sister type closeness with CP Victoria of Sweden, and the same with Mette-Marit of Norway.

No idea if he is still that close to the two of them but he certainly was at one point.

Princess Caroline of Hanover is good friends with GD Henri of Luxembourg....I have seen old photos of them socializing in their late teens/early 20's. At Albert's wedding night gala Henri and MT were seated at the family table.. Henri and Caroline were in animated conversation at one point.

During the lifetime of their late Majesties Baudouin and Fabiola of Belgium they were quite good friends with the Japanese Imperial family. Baudouin and Fabiola hosted the Japanese royals at their summer home Villa Astrid in Spain on several occasions. The frail Empress of Japan made the long journey to Belgium for Fabiola's funeral and made a memorable, striking impression on everyone. Baudouin and Fabiola were also very close to Juan Carlos and Sofia of Spain. The two couples went sailing together almost every summer in the 1960's and 1970's.

Somebody 10-17-2017 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2028793)
Speaking of Guillaume, before his marriage he seemed to enjoy a brother/sister type closeness with CP Victoria of Sweden, and the same with Mette-Marit of Norway.

No idea if he is still that close to the two of them but he certainly was at one point.

I don't remember him being close to Victoria but could his closeness to Mette-Marit be partly due to his relationship with Haakon's cousin (queen Sonja's niece) Pia Haraldsen in the early years of MM's marriage to Haakon?

Princess Larisa 10-17-2017 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 2028793)

Speaking of Guillaume, before his marriage he seemed to enjoy a brother/sister type closeness with CP Victoria of Sweden, and the same with Mette-Marit of Norway.

I would assume they all still get along well:
https://theroyalcorrespondent.files..../09/norway.jpg

Moonmaiden23 10-17-2017 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2028799)
I don't remember him being close to Victoria but could his closeness to Mette-Marit be partly due to his relationship with Haakon's cousin (queen Sonja's niece) Pia Haraldsen in the early years of MM's marriage to Haakon?

I think that's exactly true....he reportedly met Pia at Mette-Marit and Haakon's wedding.

There was a photo of him on this Forum walking on the beach with Victoria smoking a cigarette when he was in his late teens early 20's. Also I saw brief video clip of Marta-Louise's wedding to Ari Behn where Gui was sort of standing off alone to the side and Victoria pulled him into the group where she was chatting, to include him. It was very sweet.:tongue:

When Victoria christened Estelle she made an exception for Guillaume by allowing him to bring Countess Stephanie de Lannoy, to whom he had only just become engaged. Normally it is against protocol for fiances/girlfriends to attend events like that.

Victoria made the same exception for Albert and Charlene, who were not even engaged yet. when they attended her wedding to Daniel.

Victoria attended Albert's Enthronement in 2005.

Somebody 10-17-2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Larisa (Post 2028802)
I would assume they all still get along well:
https://theroyalcorrespondent.files..../09/norway.jpg

I interpreted that as a continuation of the 'crown princely couple' retreats (but without the former crown princely couples of the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain as they had become kings and queens), nonetheless, it is good that the Scandinavian royals made a point of continuing them by including Guillaume and Stephanie in their meetings. So, yes, I do think they stay in touch and get along well; not sure how 'close' they are (one-on-one; or couple-to-couple), but close enough I would guess.

scriptgirl 10-17-2017 05:54 PM

One thing I have always wondered: do other royal families look down on the Monaco royal family?

Also is it true that Romanian royals are all but reinstated? Is the same true of the Serbian and Bulgarian royal families?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises