The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Which Royals Are Good Friends? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/which-royals-are-good-friends-2499.html)

kwanfan 10-17-2005 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwanfan
I also remember seeing a photo on the British Royal Family website of Camilla and Queen Rania talking at an Osteoporosis Conference. Camilla is president of the International Osteoporosis Society, and Rania is a patron, so maybe they've met at functions for that organization.

Here is the picture
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3...titled7jy1.png

Marengo 10-18-2005 04:24 AM

I think Guillaume and Sybilla of Luxembourg are close to Constantijn and Laurentien of The Netherlands, they attended the baptisms of both Eloise as Claus-Casimir.
Laurentien is also friends with Martha-Louise of Norway, she is the godmother of Leah-Isodora.

Mascha 10-18-2005 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaMinka
If you take a look on this pics, you can see that Sonia of Norway and Juan Carlos of Spain is friends:
http://pro.corbis.com/images/0000329...-52e34fb288db}
Sonia was last summer on a boat trip with Sofia, Letizia, Cristina and her kids in Spain.Mariella

Wow, that's really close, I've always thought he was closer to Queen Silvia than Queen Sonja..:)

Royal Fan 10-30-2005 01:32 AM

How about Earlier Royals like Tsar Nicholas II

msfroyste 10-30-2005 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Fan
How about Earlier Royals like Tsar Nicholas II

i do believe he was closest to george v.

Mapple 10-30-2005 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msfroyste
i do believe he was closest to george v.

Erm... I don't think so; Nicholas II and George V met only once as monarchs, in Germany in 1913. After the Russian revolution George V objected to granting asylum in the United Kingdom to the Romanovs.

norwegianne 10-30-2005 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mapple
Erm... I don't think so; Nicholas II and George V met only once as monarchs, in Germany in 1913. After the Russian revolution George V objected to granting asylum in the United Kingdom to the Romanovs.

But they would have met at the Fredensborg gatherings when they were children, wouldn't they?

I also recall reading something in a biography about Queen Mary that the Russian family came over to George and Mary's wedding, and Nicholas got a haircut from George's barber and a suit from where George had his suits made, so that they looked frighteningly alike. There was also a picture taken of them, I think.

Mapple 10-30-2005 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne
But they would have met at the Fredensborg gatherings when they were children, wouldn't they?

I also recall reading something in a biography about Queen Mary that the Russian family came over to George and Mary's wedding, and Nicholas got a haircut from George's barber and a suit from where George had his suits made, so that they looked frighteningly alike. There was also a picture taken of them, I think.

I've got a 1909 photo of them standing side by side and dressed identically in the book about George V--they are look-alikes! :)

Nonetheless, you don't cut your best friend dead when he needs your help... George V did just that.

Princess Maxima 10-30-2005 09:08 AM

I think that:
-Máxima&Letizia are good friends(both speak spanish)
-Also, i believe Máxima&Mette-Marit are friends.

Jil 10-30-2005 09:43 AM

I think it is odd that Princess Anne of England is friends with Camillia's ex-husband. They were once lovers. I read in Royalty Magazine that they are friends. They even had a photo of them hanging out!

Ierine 10-30-2005 11:39 AM

andrea...

hey....can anyone tell me who's the best friend of Andrea Casiraghi?:)

ierine

hilal 10-31-2005 10:07 AM

Queen Noor and Empress Farah Pahlavi
Reza II. Pahlavi and King Juan Carlos of Spain
Queen Fabiola and Empress Farah Pahlavi
Prince of Wales and Prince Khalid Faisal

hilal 10-31-2005 10:12 AM

King Olav V. and Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
Prince Philip, Prince Henrik of Denmark and Prince Claus of the Netherlands

hilal 10-31-2005 10:17 AM

Bruno Gómez-Acebo and Prince Nikolaos of Greece
Prince Gustaf Adolf of Sweden (1906-0947) and Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands (1911-2004)

Marengo 10-31-2005 11:21 AM

Prince Claus was not that close to hendrik of Phillip, I would say Bernhard and Phillip were more alike. Claus befriended Prince Moritz of Hessen-Kassel and Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.

Queen Juliana was friends with Sybilla of Sweden, Alice of Athlone (her aunt) and Kira of Prussia (nee Russia).

pollyemma 10-31-2005 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Maxima
I think that:
-Máxima&Letizia are good friends(both speak spanish)
-Also, i believe Máxima&Mette-Marit are friends.

I'm not sure about Maxima and Letizia. there were the photos of them chatting at Mary and Frederick's wedding but that is the only time I'm aware of that they were together. (other than Letizia's wedding but that doesn't really count)

does anyone know of other instances where they were hanging out together?

I've seen photos of the CP families of Norway and Holland together informally. it seems pretty logical for MM and Maxima to get together so that little Ingrid and Amalia can become friends.

Royal Fan 10-31-2005 11:55 AM

Was Nicholas II Close to any other Monarchs
like in Sweden or Denmark or Norway
He wasnt very close to Wilhelm II Of Germany was he

Mapple 10-31-2005 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Fan
Was Nicholas II Close to any other Monarchs
like in Sweden or Denmark or Norway
He wasnt very close to Wilhelm II Of Germany was he

'Willy' and 'Nicky' were quite close, I'd like to say. Partly it was solidarity between two autocrats, and partly--genuine friendship. They liked to go hunting together, they discussed everything in their numerous letters.

In 1905 the two emperors even signed a treaty of friendship on board of the Tsar's yacht, the fact that Russia was allied with France then notwithstanding. Wilhelm II was joyous--he thought that his personal diplomacy broke the union of Russia and France. Nicholas II signed the treaty, having been overawed by Wilhelm's rhetoric.

The Russian ministers were shocked. Witte, Izvolsky and Grand Duke Nicholas went to the Tsar and presssurised him into denouncing the yacht treaty (more precisely, the treaty was declared having no legal force until France's accession to it!)

SpiffyBallerina 10-31-2005 02:47 PM

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands and King Juan Carlos and Queen Sophia of Spain:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...lerina/hug.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...a/8d701c2a.jpg

Their friendship goes waaaaaaaay back.:) Crown Princess Margrethe of Denmark at the age of 17 (so after the succession laws were changed) and Crown Princess Beatrix age 20. The picture is from 1958.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...a/5a13ca98.jpg

Marengo 11-01-2005 02:54 AM

Thans spiffy, I still remember seeing on television the Queen almost running to meet Juan-Carlos and Sofia on this occassion & hugging them. I believe Claus and Sofia could get along very well to. It was at Palace Het Loo where the queen celebrated parts of her 60th birthday. Due to a ETA bomb attack the king and quen did not find it appropriate to attend all the festivities, however, they came over for a lunch at the palace, a very sweet gesture! I also remember the Charles V celebrations in Spain where Queen Beatrix and Juan-Carlos were walking armed from a cathedral.

The picture of Margrethe and Beatrix is priceless!!! Where did you get it? I can't wait for simular pictures of Elisabeth/ Catharina-Amalia/ Ingrid Alexandra/ Leonor.

I think King Albert II is close to Juan-Carlos and Beatrix as well, they were the two monarchs he consulted when his brother, King Baudouin died (on wherther to accept the trone or cede his rights in favour of his eldest son).

What about the Luxembourg royals? I know Prince Claus tought Marie-Therese to eat oysters (which is not frienship, but it seemed sweet), as he tried to comfort her as the dutch state visit was the first one she participated in (in 1981 or 1982). I am still waiting for the state visit of the Luxembourgians to their Dutch fellow-Nassau's btw, traditionally Benelux royals would pay state visits to the other Benelux countries very ealy in their reign, most often they were the first state visits.

Aussie Princess 11-02-2005 11:31 AM

Even though they are obviously very different ages, I can imagine CP Victoria and Queen Margrethe getting along very well:)

Piewi 11-02-2005 01:25 PM

Does someone know about the Grimaldis?? Do they have any royal friends??

I know it isn´t a lot but once i saw i pic of prince Albert and Queen Silvia and King Carl´Gustav talking in the Pope´s funeral.

GömdNatt 11-02-2005 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollyemma
I'm not sure about Maxima and Letizia. there were the photos of them chatting at Mary and Frederick's wedding but that is the only time I'm aware of that they were together. (other than Letizia's wedding but that doesn't really count)

does anyone know of other instances where they were hanging out together?

I've seen photos of the CP families of Norway and Holland together informally. it seems pretty logical for MM and Maxima to get together so that little Ingrid and Amalia can become friends.

I read somehwere that they call each other and talk sometimes. (Maxima and Letizia)

SpiffyBallerina 11-02-2005 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo
The picture of Margrethe and Beatrix is priceless!!! Where did you get it? I can't wait for simular pictures of Elisabeth/ Catharina-Amalia/ Ingrid Alexandra/ Leonor.

Beeldbank is the BEST resource for finding pictures of the Dutch royals. I believe it is the national archive.
http://beeldbank.nationaalarchief.nl...5b4021493e39af

Mette2 11-02-2005 07:09 PM

I think Margrethe & Henrik, and Albert & Paola get on well with each other. I've read a while ago that some years ago Henrik stayed with Albert and Paola, when he was recovering from surgery he had in Belgium. I've also seen a picture of Albert and Paola visiting Margrethe and Henrik at their wine castle in France.

Marengo 11-03-2005 04:23 AM

I believe Prince Henrik is also friends with Prince Philip-Erasmus and Princess Isabelle of Liechtenstein (brother of Hans-Adam II) and with Diane of Wurttemberg (nee France).

bct88 11-03-2005 05:53 PM

I have seen a photograph of Prince Henrik and Princess Gloria von Thurn und Taxis in a rather informal setting. I am not sure if they are friends, but they look it in the photo.

hilal 11-07-2005 04:43 AM

Empress Farah Pahlavi and Queen Sofia of Spain

Jil 11-08-2005 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piewi
Does someone know about the Grimaldis?? Do they have any royal friends??

I know it isn´t a lot but once i saw i pic of prince Albert and Queen Silvia and King Carl´Gustav talking in the Pope´s funeral.

I always thought that Prince Charles was a friend of the Grimaldis. There was a rumor many years ago that he was going to get married to Princess Caroline. This was before her first marriage. I think the newspapers made that one up.

SpiffyBallerina 11-09-2005 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jil
I always thought that Prince Charles was a friend of the Grimaldis. There was a rumor many years ago that he was going to get married to Princess Caroline. This was before her first marriage. I think the newspapers made that one up.

If I remember correctly, then I think that was just a possibility and the two went out together once and there wasn't a spark so their families let it drop.

GrandDuchess 11-09-2005 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piewi
Does someone know about the Grimaldis?? Do they have any royal friends??.

Well I don't really know anything on this subject when it comes to the present Grimaldi family, but I think that the late Prince Bertil of Sweden (an uncle of King Carl XVI Gustaf) got along quite well with the late Prince Rainier and Princess Grace - they seemed to enjoy each other's company.

Piewi 11-09-2005 12:27 PM

Thanks for your anwer Jil and Grand Duchess!
as far as i know caroline didn´t like Charles when they met

Marengo 12-06-2005 12:00 PM

I remember seeing that (Beatrix meeting Sofia and Juan-Carlos) on television. She was very happy to see them. The queen was celebrating her 60th birthday and the spanish royal couple could not attend due to an ETA attack in Spain. However, the attended lunch at the palace in Apeldoorn. Infanta Pilar stayed for the remainder of the celebrations.

crisiñaki 02-08-2006 01:10 AM

King Juan Carlos and King Hussein II of Jordan were like the best of friends, the late one gave the SRF the Mareta Palace in Lanzarote as a gift and that's why I think Noor and Sofía are still very good friends.

Cristina was very good friends with Phillippe of Belgium, there was a rumor they would get married; her and her husband are friends with Haakon, Kyril and Alexia (Cristina & Alexia lived together for several years in Barcelona; their relationship is alike to that of Queen Sofía with Princess Tatiana)

The SRF seems to be extremely close to their Greek (Alexia, Pavlos and Nikolaos not Theodora or Phillipos) and Gómez Acebo cousins but not that close to the Zurita (children of Infanta Margarita) maybe because of the age gap

Jo of Palatine 02-08-2006 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rox
Maxima has still a Spanish accent when she's speaking deutch. Mathilde speaks now very wel deutch , You don't hear anywmore her french accent . Astrid is doing well . But Claire and Paola still have to learn a lot B)

You meant she speaks Dutch not German (Deutsch). Dutch as Vlaams (Flemish) and Letzeburgisch (the dialect of Letzteburg = Luxemburg) are historically German dialects, versions of the "Rheinfränkisch" (rhine-franconian), which had their own development into a modern language.

Greetings from Germany, Jo (who was born in the Palatinate, where another of the Rheinfränkisch-dialects is spoken.)

Australian 02-08-2006 08:55 AM

welcome to the forums Jo!

Skydragon 02-08-2006 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jil

I think she was one of the royals that was suggested to Charles but, as you say, there was no spark.

Skydragon 02-08-2006 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunalu
prince charles is supposed to be a great friend of spanish royal family : from those pics, he seems to have "adopted" letizia very well ;)

He seems to get on well with everyone in your photos.:rolleyes:

Humera 02-08-2006 07:59 PM

judging from the many pictures and old video footage, I'd say that Queen Noor and the late King Hussein were good friends with Queen Beatrix and her husband. I assume the two women are still friends after the deaths of their husbands.

Queen Rania and Prince Charles are good friends, as pointed out in a previous post. The Queen also seems to be friends with Camilla (since before the marriage, through osteofound). QR even mentioned rather candidly in an interview to Hello that she felt the British press had been hard on Camilla.
Ofcourse that doesnt seem to be much of a problem anymore.

The friendship between Queen Noor and Farah Pahlavi has been mentioned before too. Farah was invited to Prince Hamzah's wedding reception, despite complaints from the Iranian government.
Farah also seems to have been a good friend of the late Queen Alia of Jordan.

I have also observed from the several pictures I've seen of them together, that CP Victoria and Prince Ali seem to have a very friendly relationship as well.

I'll find some pictures and post them here soon.

crisiñaki 02-08-2006 08:38 PM

There's a picture of Victoria and Ali dancing but I don't remember which thread is it on:o :o

Josefine 02-18-2006 07:47 AM

i think that queen silvia has been at funktions with other royals in her childhood fundation project

but here is a gala dinner where several royals attned but it was not a royal agather per se as a birthday part or wedding http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ersary-60.html

prince henrik and princess madeleine is both patrons of Europa Nostra

crisiñaki 02-18-2006 01:49 PM

Princess Máxima and Princess Mathilde have worked together in the microcredit program

Her_Majesty 06-06-2006 10:32 AM

The pictures of Beatrix meeting Sofia and JuanCarlos are really lovely! :)
Beatrix seems to be very temperful and their relationship looks cordially!

Here's another picture of Queen Sofia and Queen Sonja during a trip on the Spanish boat.
http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/withsofia.jpg

Getty Images

pinkylou 06-06-2006 12:34 PM

prince charles and rania are very good friends due to the fact that charles and abdullah were friends from their youth, abdullah came to england to study high school, oxford and then sandhurst. he supported charles throughout the 80s and 90s, it has been reported.
tzar nicholas the second was best friend with king george due to their close relations( mothers' were sisters) and both hated the kaiser of germany.
prince charles also is very good friends with prince albert as they appear side by side in charity functions in the UK, whenever prince albert is over here. princess grace was also very good friends with charles.
and last year, it was found out that all heads if state meet each other every year to discuss going-ons( this was reportedly revealed by mistake from CP Fredriks camp on his website), they also meet up every new year, as this year QEII hosted it.

grevinnan 06-06-2006 12:52 PM

CP Victoria and Felipe appears to be close friends. When Felipe and Letizia visited Stockholm Victoria mentioned in one interview that she had been to Spain (to visit the royal family) in November right after the engagement. There are also photos of her and the K Juan Carlos and Q Sofia during a visit that was not official.

crisiñaki 06-06-2006 01:54 PM

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...2&d=1149605854
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...0&d=1149605854

Source: nettavisen, originally posted by Larzen

Look how fondly QS and KH greet each other!:)

*SofiaM* 06-09-2006 06:10 PM

Here is one from the spanish visit to Norway. Look at Sofia and Harald...AND is Sofia getting the secret evil eye from Sonja?? :D :rolleyes:
But seriously it shows how comfortable they feel around each other ;)

http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/2...vlet9xk.th.jpg

source: polfoto

Alexandria 06-09-2006 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo
Thans spiffy, I still remember seeing on television the Queen almost running to meet Juan-Carlos and Sofia on this occassion & hugging them. I believe Claus and Sofia could get along very well to. It was at Palace Het Loo where the queen celebrated parts of her 60th birthday. Due to a ETA bomb attack the king and quen did not find it appropriate to attend all the festivities, however, they came over for a lunch at the palace, a very sweet gesture! I also remember the Charles V celebrations in Spain where Queen Beatrix and Juan-Carlos were walking armed from a cathedral.

At Prince Claus' funeral, Juan Carlos and Sofia were also placed ahead in the procession before other royals who by protocol (determined by who has been ruling longest) they should've followed. I read articles at the time that because of the nature of Beatrix's friendship with the Spanish monarchs, they were specifically placed to be closer to the Queen and her family.

lisamaria 06-10-2006 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ...sOfIa....
Here is one from the spanish visit to Norway. Look at Sofia and Harald...AND is Sofia getting the secret evil eye from Sonja?? :D :rolleyes:

A newspaper article published here in Finland said that Sofia's mother wanted her to marry Harald; she wanted her eldest daughter to be a queen and Juan Carlos at the time wasn't a safe bet. But Harald had other things in his mind already... ;) The truth is out there. I love Sofia, she always looks nice and sincere and very caring.

*SofiaM* 06-10-2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisamaria
A newspaper article published here in Finland said that Sofia's mother wanted her to marry Harald; she wanted her eldest daughter to be a queen and Juan Carlos at the time wasn't a safe bet. But Harald had other things in his mind already... ;) The truth is out there. I love Sofia, she always looks nice and sincere and very caring.

Yes I knew that lisamaria:) ...But I think i'm glad that the things turned out the way they did. Sofia makes a great Queen of Spain and Sonja a great Queen of Norway, Harald definately made a good choice!;)

foiegrass 06-14-2006 03:21 AM

i think that Grand Duke Jean has good relations with the BRF.
he was seen riding behind Elizabeth II during the trooping of colours

lisamaria 06-14-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ...sOfIa....
Yes I knew that lisamaria:) ...But I think i'm glad that the things turned out the way they did. Sofia makes a great Queen of Spain and Sonja a great Queen of Norway, Harald definately made a good choice!;)

Yes, he did. I like Sonja a lot - she appears always as someone extremely funny, smart and relaxed. Which is a good thing as Harald seems very shy. With Sofia, they would have simply been shy together :D

Marengo 06-14-2006 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexandria
At Prince Claus' funeral, Juan Carlos and Sofia were also placed ahead in the procession before other royals who by protocol (determined by who has been ruling longest) they should've followed. I read articles at the time that because of the nature of Beatrix's friendship with the Spanish monarchs, they were specifically placed to be closer to the Queen and her family.

True Alexandria, and I believe even the television commentator (who knows these things from RVD) told that.

I also remember Queen Beatrix sitting at the '' 1st" place (next to the british RF, front row) during the funeral of Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother. But I have never heard that Beatrix was particulary close to QEII, or her mother (not closer then any other reigning european monarch I mean), so I assume it was just a mistake, though we never know.

Her_Majesty 08-14-2006 12:24 PM

Scandinavian Queens

Silvia and Sonja - holding hands:flowers: :lol:
http://img23.imagevenue.com/loc570/t...onja_570lo.jpghttp://img20.imagevenue.com/loc422/t...jaII_422lo.jpg
Knudsensfotosenter

Sonja and Margrethe
http://img41.imagevenue.com/loc476/t...ethe_476lo.jpg
Corbis

Henri M. 08-14-2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helena
and as Prince Willem-Alexander asks CP Victoria as a godmother for his child I presume they are friends as well.

It is more a tradition amongst protestant Houses than a real personal friendship. There are no real royal friendships I think. Not in the strictest meaning of the word friend.

The real personal friends of the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima are no royals but aristocrats like Tijo Baron Collot d'Escury, Jonkheer Frans Ferdinand de Beaufort, Samantha van Welderen Baroness Rengers - Deane, Jonkvrouwe Vanessa Loudon, Carl Eduard Count von Bismarck, Michiel Alting von Geusau, Count Franz-Clemens and Countess Stéphanie zu Waldburg-Zeil-Hohenems, Prince Georg and Princess Benedikta zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein, etc.

The same counts for Queen Beatrix. Her real friends are the Count and Countess Ferdinand von Bismarck, Jonkvrouwe Eugénie Loudon, Hon. Elizabeth Shakerley - Anson, Jonkvrouwe Johanna Röell, etc. The Queen is very loyal to her friends. She even left the grand royal wedding of Don Felipe with Doña Letizia (!!) to attend the small petite wedding of Fiona Shakerley, daughter of her dear friends Sir Geoffrey Shakerley, 6th Baronet and Hon. Elizabeth Shakerley - Anson (who was one of her bridesmaids back in 1966).

The relationship between Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Beatrix goes back to WWII. They have met each other so many times during the last 60 years.

But there are only three reigning female Sovereigns in the world and Queen Beatrix is one of them. The Danish Queen is the other one. Maybe more 'known' because of Prince Philip's family-connections. Maybe Queen Elizatbeth II sees Queen Beatrix as the only one who is able to overpower her in glitter and glam, in pomp and circumstance and in radiating distant majesty. I sense a sort of respectful distance between the two. Both Majesties treat each other as Majesties. Not as Trixie and Lillibet.

Marengo 08-14-2006 05:53 PM

Though I agree that these royals do not automatically need to be friends, I think it is safe to assume that Beatrix calls Elizabeth II ´Lillibet´, many/most royals do, even Crownprincess Catherine of Yougoslavia.

btw, I believe you mean Renee Smith, nee Jvr. Roell instead of Johanna Roell who is HM best friend. Renee was a witness at HM wedding and godmother to the Prince of Orange.

I actually think Willem-Alexander and Maxima befriended the godmothers of their children, CP Victoria and CP Mathilde, which is not that strange as they are in simular positions and get to see each other quite often, so it is only natural that some royal friendships will grow.

Maxima fan 08-16-2006 09:18 AM

I know that the Dutch Princes and Princesses are really good friends with Mette Marit, Haakon, Martha Louise and Ari Behn. A picture that Mette Marit and Maxima leaving the 'Groene Draeck': Beatrix' private boat.

http://i8.tinypic.com/24ply4j.jpg
(source : Peter Smulders)

And also they visit Constantijn and Laurentien at the birth of Leonore!

Queen Beatrix has good relations with the King and Queen of Spain, Sweden and Belgium. At this picture Queen Beatrix with the King of Sweden at his birthday!! I think then that their relation is very good! And the Princes and Princesses too!!

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...2&d=1146440903

Madeleine with WA:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9&d=1146440903

Carl Philip with Maxima:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...0&d=1146440903

carlota 08-19-2006 02:28 PM

judging by the royal photoshoot and the holidays that the japanese crown princely couple and the dutch crown princely couple (with queen beatrix) are spending, i think there's a strong friendship between both couples. they invited the japanese royals to spend some time with them at apeeldoorn. masako's father is also working for the tribunal of justice in the hague, so maybe that's the reason why they met.

crisiñaki 08-19-2006 02:31 PM

The Bulgarian/Greek/Spanish Royals are a very closed-knit group of friends!
They are godparents of their children amongst each other!:flowers:

Henri M. 08-19-2006 03:40 PM

I think that most posters to this thread make the mistake to see nice interaction during official events as friendship.

Nice smiles and friendly gestures during royal encounters have nothing to do with friendship but all with hospitality, politeness, etiquette and decorum. Queen Beatrix, or King Albert or Grand Duke Henri, all of them have real and really dear friends. Most of them are totally unknown to the public.

That King Albert and Grand Duke Henri (who are uncle and nephew) are broad smiles all the way, or that the Prince of Wales interacts lovely with Queen Beatrix. Tja: nice. But trust me: it is no friendship.

Queen Elizabeth II is as friendly and all-smiley to President and Madame Chirac as she is to Queen Sonja of Norway. Queen Beatrix had the same perfectionistic, warm and friendly reception for President and mrs Putin as she had to the Japanese crown princely couple.

Her real friends with whom she can be totally her own self, which she trusts 100% are however an unknown British lady here and an unknown German Countess there. Or one of the sisters to her late husband. Or the mother of Princess Laurentien, with whom she shared her house during university.

This whole thread is nice, but it is all pure guesses and speculation. Because Princess Máxima and Princess Letizia are hispanic, they are friends? I don't think so. Princess Máxima's best friends date from her Argentinean years. Some of them do live in the Netherlands, like Samantha van Welderen baroness Rengers - Deane, friends since toddler-time.

norwegianne 08-19-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henri M.
I think that most posters to this thread make the mistake to see nice interaction during official events as friendship.

While I agree that acting nice at offical events does not constitute a friend, necessarily, there have been plenty of proof on this thread that royals socialize with each other outside of their official lives - Maxima and Wilhelm Alexander's holiday in Norway with Haakon and Mette-Marit, Mette-Marit and Haakon bringing Victoria along on a skiing holiday, Sonja and Margrethe going skiing in the Norwegian mountains every winter, and so on. Certainly, they're not each other's only friends, and there might be some that go better together than other. And yes, it is easy to read from pictures things that might not be there, (how many engagement rumours or pregnancy rumours haven't been started in the press by a picture?) but the important thing is to note the occasion of the picture. A friendly look between two royals at the celebration for the Thai king, doesn't have to mean anything, considering the mass of royals attending. That they spend time together on their down-time, I see as more significant.

And spending time with Haakon and Frederik, observing them talking together on their way in and out of the official event and joking together, I'd say they are friends.

Avalon 08-19-2006 04:27 PM

Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Prince Haakon are known to be very good friends.
Crown Princess Mette-Marit and the Duchess of Cornwall seem to be quite close as well (as the pic below showes). During the last visit of CP Haakon and CP Mette-Marit to England, the 2 women seemed to enjoy each other's company very much.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...rincessCam.jpg
source - UK press

Prince Albert and King Abdullah of Jordan are both Prince Charles' good friends.
The Prince of Wales also seems to enjoy the company of the Princess of Asturias very much. :)

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...00635075ck.jpg http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...00635018ij.jpg

source - sipa Press

Mari_* 08-19-2006 05:00 PM

I really like Letizia's hair on that picture :flowers:

Henri M. 08-19-2006 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalon
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Prince Haakon are known to be very good friends.
Crown Princess Mette-Marit and the Duchess of Cornwall seem to be quite close as well (as the pic below showes). During the last visit of CP Haakon and CP Mette-Marit to England, the 2 women seemed to enjoy each other's company very much.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...rincessCam.jpg
source - UK press

Prince Albert and King Abdullah of Jordan are both Prince Charles' good friends.
The Prince of Wales also seems to enjoy the company of the Princess of Asturias very much. :)

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...00635075ck.jpg http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...00635018ij.jpg

source - sipa Press

With all respect. The Duchess of Cornwall may be kissy-kissy with the Crown Princess of Norway. And The Prince of Wales may be kissy-kissy with the Princess of Asturias. It is just a greeting or a bye-bye. It really has nothing to do with friendship.

The best proof that pictures lie are the latest official fairytale pictures of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra of Denmark. Everybody was fainting for the love supreme speaking out of these pictures.

A few weeks later the couple separated.....

bct88 08-19-2006 09:22 PM

I agree to the most part with Henri. I think that when we do see the royals in public, they naturally are nice and courteous to each other. But, there is enough proof about certain friendships: Queen Beatrix and the Spanish Monarchs, Queen Sonja and Queen Margrethe II, Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Sonja, Prince Charles and former King Constantine II of the Hellenes, etc. We will never know exactly how close royals are to each other unless we are "buddy-buddy" with the royals themselves, and I doubt that many of us are!

thapanaree 08-19-2006 11:03 PM

king bhumibol of thailand and emperor akihito of japan.

User0501 08-20-2006 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timtonruben359
I know that Queen Elizabeth II is very good friends with Queen Sonja of Norway.

Prince Charles is close to King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofa of Spain he and the late Princess of Wales along with William and Harry used to vaction with the Spanish King and Queen often. Queen Elizabeth II is also friends with the King of Spain.

The Queens of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden are all good friends as well.

I remember reading somewhere that Queen Elizabeth II is not too found of Queen Beatrix though...I can't remember the exact reason but I think Queen Elizabeth II feels that Queen Beatrix is too "full of herself"....I'll try and find it again...nothing like good royal infighting ;)

HM Queen Elizabeth II is very close to all European Royal Families as HM is related to all of them through the late Queen Victoria except the Spanish Royal Family.The British Royal Family especially HM The Queen is not in good terms with the King & Queen of Spain as both royal families claim that their country owns Gibraltar.The King & Queen of Spain even did not attend the wedding ceremony between HRH Prince Charles of Wales and HRH Princess Diana of Wales at St.Paul's Cathedral in 1981 after knowing that the royal couple will spent their honeymoon in Gibraltar which the Spanish Royal Family claims ownership.Moreover,neither the King & Queen nor the Crown Prince & Princess of Spain attended the wedding ceremony at St.George's Chapel and the reception at the Waterloo Chamber of HRH Prince Charles,The Duke of Cornwall and Camilla,The Duchess of Cornwall at Windsor Castle last year although The Queen invited them.

crisiñaki 08-20-2006 01:10 AM

srvishnu, QEII is related to a lot of royals but they are all related amongst themselves, that doesn't necessarily means she's friends with everybody 'cuz she's not...
the closest relationship I've ever heard is QEII and Queen Sonja:flowers:

User0501 08-20-2006 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisiñaki
srvishnu, QEII is related to a lot of royals but they are all related amongst themselves, that doesn't necessarily means she's friends with everybody 'cuz she's not...
the closest relationship I've ever heard is QEII and Queen Sonja:flowers:

Relatives / family members' can be good friends too but good friends not necessarily be related or be relatives.

crisiñaki 08-20-2006 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srivishnu
Relatives can be good friends too but good friends not necessarily be related or be relatives.

I agree with you, and QEII is related to the Spanish Royal Family; Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain ( King Juan Carlos' grandmother) was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria...;)

Henri M. 08-20-2006 05:25 AM

Actually Queen Elizabeth, King Albert, King Juan Carlos, Grand Duke Henri, King Harald, Queen Margrethe, etc. are all related to each other thanks to Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange, Fürst zu Nassau, Stadtholder of the Netherlands (4 August 1678 - 4 July 1711), a direct ancestor of Queen Beatrix.

Johan Willem Friso holds the position of being an ancestor to all currently (and most formerly) reigning European royal families.

Larzen 08-20-2006 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne
While I agree that acting nice at offical events does not constitute a friend, necessarily, there have been plenty of proof on this thread that royals socialize with each other outside of their official lives - Maxima and Wilhelm Alexander's holiday in Norway with Haakon and Mette-Marit, Mette-Marit and Haakon bringing Victoria along on a skiing holiday, Sonja and Margrethe going skiing in the Norwegian mountains every winter, and so on. Certainly, they're not each other's only friends, and there might be some that go better together than other. And yes, it is easy to read from pictures things that might not be there, (how many engagement rumours or pregnancy rumours haven't been started in the press by a picture?) but the important thing is to note the occasion of the picture. A friendly look between two royals at the celebration for the Thai king, doesn't have to mean anything, considering the mass of royals attending. That they spend time together on their down-time, I see as more significant.

And spending time with Haakon and Frederik, observing them talking together on their way in and out of the official event and joking together, I'd say they are friends.

I agree, just because they smile and laught at each other in official engagements or hold each others arms does not make them good friends, it makes them friendly and happy to see each other. I think when there is a long evidence of visiting each other in private you can start to talk about friendship. Example the Norwegian and dutch royals.

Märtha did live in the Netherlands (still remember how the press had her as a potential wife for one of Beatrixs boys every month:lol: what a loss:cool: ) the last years they have visited each other in private several times on top of official meetings. WA and Constantijn with families spend a weekend at Maagerø, H and MM went sailing with Maxima and WA at Beatrixs boat, recently all Haakon and Märtha with familes spent a weekend celebrating Laurentiens birthday/wedding anniversary in the Netherlands, Haakon was spotted visitng the Netherlands by himself. Both Laurentien and Maxima has been chosen as godmothers for the norwegian children even if it would traditionally be more logical to chose WA and Constantijn and Haakon is the godfather of Eloise. Märtha said about Laurentien she was a great woman and that they tried to see each other as often as they could. This really goes beyond the usually Im-happy-to-see-you-because-we-are-in-the-same-boat politeness IMO. Ofcourse it does not make the BEST friends but certainly when they choose to see each other in private one must be abel to say that they are friends

Madame Royale 08-25-2006 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srivishnu
HM Queen Elizabeth II is very close to all European Royal Families as HM is related to all of them through the late Queen Victoria except the Spanish Royal Family.The British Royal Family especially HM The Queen is not in good terms with the King & Queen of Spain as both royal families claim that their country owns Gibraltar.The King & Queen of Spain even did not attend the wedding ceremony between HRH Prince Charles of Wales and HRH Princess Diana of Wales at St.Paul's Cathedral in 1981 after knowing that the royal couple will spent their honeymoon in Gibraltar which the Spanish Royal Family claims ownership.Moreover,neither the King & Queen nor the Crown Prince & Princess of Spain attended the wedding ceremony at St.George's Chapel and the reception at the Waterloo Chamber of HRH Prince Charles,The Duke of Cornwall and Camilla,The Duchess of Cornwall at Windsor Castle last year although The Queen invited them.

I'm not saying that they are good friends, but they have certainly been in contact since.

The Queen has paid a State Visit to Spain, attended the Wedding of Princess Alexia as did the Spanish royals, King Juan Carlos & Queen Sophia attended the Queen's Golden Jubilee Dinner and festivities, Charles attended the Asturias wedding festivities and he gets on very well with Sophia. These all, just to name a few.

Could I ask for the source which states that the King and Queen of Spain were invited to the Cornwall wedding? I'm not being rude, I just didnt know they had been invited so would really like to see.

Thanks

zarzuela 11-21-2006 12:52 AM

I for once believe the rumors that the Queen and Queen of Spain are very good friends of Queen Beatrix, you just have to see the joy in their faces when they meet each other:

http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic...w.pp?id=963547
http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic...w.pp?id=963673
http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic...w.pp?id=963672
http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic....pp?id=1004913

Her_Majesty 12-22-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarzuela
I for once believe the rumors that the Queen and Queen of Spain are very good friends of Queen Beatrix, you just have to see the joy in their faces when they meet each other:

http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic...w.pp?id=963547
http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic...w.pp?id=963673
http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic...w.pp?id=963672
http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic....pp?id=1004913

Those pictures are so nice! :lol:
King Juan Carlos seems to be really popular in the Royal(-Ladies) Circle. ;):tongue: *joking*
I also love this picture (posted by LaMinka) of JC and Sonja.

Princess of Monaco 12-25-2006 01:57 PM

:flowers: and what are the best friends of Princess Letizia? and Princess Mary?

Mari_* 12-25-2006 08:46 PM

It seems that Letizia gets along with Mette Marit and Maxima

lilytornado 12-26-2006 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari_*

How do you know?

Mari_* 12-26-2006 06:53 PM

I've read so

Madame Royale 12-26-2006 07:32 PM

I would assume that Mary would be closest to Victoria and Mette-Marit. From photos I've seen (especially Victoria and Mary) they seem to get along very well and enjoy each others company. And both women are godmother to her child afterall.

I also wonder what her relationship is with Mathilde. I noticed that the Duke and Duchess of Brabant attended the christening of Prince Christian and they (apart from their Swedish, Norwegian and Greek counterparts) were the only other foreign royals to attend :flowers:

crisiñaki 12-26-2006 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari_*

well that is understandable, she has things in common with both of them:flowers:

Madame Royale 12-26-2006 08:21 PM

Quote:

well that is understandable, she has things in common with both of them:flowers:

Are you referring to the fact they each have a past? :smile:

I would agree that she may feel more at ease with these two, who themselves, have come out of 'situations' not experienced by say Mary or Mathilde.

crisiñaki 12-26-2006 09:10 PM

well, with Maxima I talk about common language and similar cultures ('cuz latinamerican culture is extremely influenced by the spanish) and about MM I'm talking about the CPs who are from the same country as their husbands and so are much more known and there have been much more knowledge about their "pasts" as you said

Haakon and MM are good friends with Kyril and Rosario of Bulgaria and Cristina & Iñaki of Spain, they spend their holidays often together:

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/8...ohaakonpq7.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3...onkyrilrs8.jpg
(Hola)

And well, Cristina is also very close to Alia of Jordan, who visited Mallorca in the summer with her family and later the Urdangarins returned the favor going to Jordan:

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4...inaaliavg5.jpg (Sipa via Isifa)

Madame Royale 12-26-2006 10:55 PM

Quote:

well, with Maxima I talk about common language and similar cultures ('cuz latinamerican culture is extremely influenced by the spanish) and about MM I'm talking about the CPs who are from the same country as their husbands and so are much more known and there have been much more knowledge about their "pasts" as you said

Gotchya ;)

SpiffyBallerina 12-27-2006 01:27 AM

Letizia and Maxima are friends. I saw videos of them having a great time speaking with each other at the Danish wedding (both before and after the ceremony) and poor W-A looked very lost amidst all that Spanish-speaking!

magnik 12-27-2006 01:05 PM

I hope that they're or will be. Maxima and Mathilde are good friends too.

What about Mary, MetteMarit or Victoria - I mean with which other royal lady they are good friends?

Sorry I've missed it. Which royal is a realy good friend of the Queen Elizabeth II?

Her_Majesty 12-27-2006 01:27 PM

Mette and Haakon: If I remember right they are friends with the familys of Constantijn and Willem-Alexander.

rosana 12-27-2006 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
Letizia and Maxima are friends. I saw videos of them having a great time speaking with each other at the Danish wedding (both before and after the ceremony) and poor W-A looked very lost amidst all that Spanish-speaking!

Do you really think they are friends? How many times did they meet? I´m almost sure they saw for the first time in the Danish wedding, and the fact that they speak the same language makes them closer, but i´m not sure about their friendship, maybe in a long time.

Marengo 12-27-2006 05:39 PM

They met each other more often then at the public occasions that we are aware of (wedding of Frederik & Mary, wedding of Felipe & Letizia and the silver wedding of Henri & Marie-Therese). There is a sort of 'club' of european heirs that meets regulary. And since the recent marriages there is a simular club for their wives. Of course they can meet more often in private to, like MM and Haakon who came sailing in The Netherlands for example, or Mary and Frederik who were received at castle het Oude Loo.

pretoriana18 12-27-2006 05:51 PM

Prince Guillaume of Luxemburg and Princess Victoria of Sweden are good friends.... at many fhotos can you see them....

Juanita 12-27-2006 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnik
I hope that they're or will be. Maxima and Mathilde are good friends too.

What about Mary, MetteMarit or Victoria - I mean with which other royal lady they are good friends?

Sorry I've missed it. Which royal is a realy good friend of the Queen Elizabeth II?

Queen Elizabeth II is quite good friend of Queen Sonja :flowers:

carlota 12-27-2006 07:46 PM

after some years of having started this thread, from what i have seen of the royal outings, activities and events...

maxima seems really close with masako, mathilde and mette marit. mathilde was also seen with masako talking in a very friendly athmosphere, masako was invited by the dutch royals this summer (first trip abroad after her depression) and mette marit sailed with maxima in the groene draek. maxima is also godmother to little sverre magnus. mathilde and maxima performed a couple of royal duties together in which they seemed to be really at ease and i also saw quite a close friendship between maria teresa of luxembourg and maxima during the visit the grand dukes paid to the netherlands, perhaps of both being south american. letizia should be as well good friends with her, enforced by the fact they both speak spanish and from what members said.

mette marit seems to be to me one of the most adaptable royals. for a girl who comes from a modest, middle class background, it's amazing the number of friends she made. rosario nadal, marie chantal, infanta cristina, victoria of sweden, camilla, maxima and mary among others we dont know... she is even godmother to marie chantal's youngest son, odysseas and to prince christian.

it really surprised me to see that princess sibilla is friends with pavlos and marie chantal. there are photos of them doing some christmas shopping together in london.

i also read that the dutch royals and the jordanian royals are really close and that queen beatrix invited queen noor after the death of king hussein to spend time in the netherlands. it was seen clearly at the state visit by the jordanian king and queen this year.

prince guillaume of luxembourg and phillipe and mathilde are definitely close, after him being prince emmanuel's godfather.

crisiñaki 12-27-2006 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota

i also read that the dutch royals and the jordanian royals are really close and that queen beatrix invited queen noor after the death of king hussein to spend time in the netherlands. it was seen clearly at the state visit by the jordanian king and queen this year.

it's a group, Noor is also friend to the Spanish Royal Couple and they in turn are very close to Beatrix:smile:

Lakshmi 12-28-2006 04:53 AM

I read somewhere that P Albert of Monaco and P Charles of GB like each other, they share interest in environment.

Marengo 12-28-2006 05:41 AM

Quote:

it's a group, Noor is also friend to the Spanish Royal Couple and they in turn are very close to Beatrix:smile:

Queen Beatrix is also close to Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath + family, as are the van Vollenhovens.

Prof. Pieter van Vollenhoven (husband of Princess Margriet) should be friends with Prince Laurent of Belgium, since he was one of the witnesses at the religious wedding of the prince. The van Vollenhovens are also good friends with Archduke Michael and Archduchess Christiane of Austria and with Fuerst Constantin-Alois of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg and his wife Anastasia (nee Pss of Prussia).

The Prince of Orange also befriended Count Franz-Clemens zu Waldburg-Zeil-Hohenems and his wife Countess Stephanie zu Waldburg-Zeil-Hohenems née Countess von Blanckenstein, he is godfather to their daughter Leonie

The late Prince Claus was friends with the Berleburgs and with the Prince of Hesse-Kassel. Another of his friends was Prince Bismarck and his wife Elisabeth. Their children befriended the children of Claus. Another friend: Princess Alexandra zu Oettingen-Oettingen und Oettingen-Wallerstein née zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn

Madame Royale 12-28-2006 06:19 AM

Also, Crown Princess Mary and Princess Laurentien.

I did not mention but Princess Larentien and Prince Constantijn also went to Prince Christians christening and Mary had before attended a function with the Dutch couple and they seem to get along very well.

Verde Esmeralda 01-12-2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Princess Máxima and Princess Mathilde have worked together in the microcredit program

Plus, they seem to have a good relationship, since the Princes of Belgium helped Maxima a lot when she was staying - for a short period - in Brussels, before it was revealed that she was WA's wife-to-be (or at least getting the training) :rolleyes:

acdc1 06-10-2007 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little_star
LaMinka, it was in an article in Hello, she spoke about her disappointment at not being able to attend his wedding because she was still breastfeeding

Queen Rania announced that she was breastfeeding? Wow, I thought Muslims were discreet about that sort of stuff, but I guess she's not.

I have heard about Diana and the Spanish Royals being close, and also the Spanish Royals and the Greeks.

Marengo 06-13-2007 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Also, Crown Princess Mary and Princess Laurentien.

I did not mention but Princess Larentien and Prince Constantijn also went to Prince Christians christening and Mary had before attended a function with the Dutch couple and they seem to get along very well.

I don't know if they went because of a real friendship or out of courtiousness. The Dutch court probably received an invitation, as probably did most other European courts, and decided to send Constantijn and Laurentien.

I believe the couple did receive a personal invitation for the wedding of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. The one for the Prince of orange and Princess Maxima was lost in the post, according to the official version.

Little_star 06-13-2007 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc1
Queen Rania announced that she was breastfeeding? Wow, I thought Muslims were discreet about that sort of stuff, but I guess she's not.

I have heard about Diana and the Spanish Royals being close, and also the Spanish Royals and the Greeks.

Well it was an answer to a question.

Moreover I don't see why muslims would have an issue with breastfeeding......