The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Electronic Domain (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/)
-   -   "The King's Speech" (2010) - a film about George VI (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/the-kings-speech-2010-a-film-about-george-vi-24689.html)

Roderick 09-16-2009 06:31 AM

"The King's Speech" (2010) - a film about George VI

A film called The King's Speech which will be `a chronicle of King George VIs effort to overcome his nervous stammer with the assistance of speech therapist Lionel Logue` is in pre-production with a release date of 2010.

The actor Colin Firth has been cast to play the King.

Mermaid1962 09-16-2009 03:45 PM

It would be quite interesting to see Colin Firth as George VI. He's not the same physical type as the late King.:flowers:

ada 09-17-2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roderick (Post 992225)
A film called The King's Speech which will be `a chronicle of King George VIs effort to overcome his nervous stammer with the assistance of speech therapist Lionel Logue` is in pre-production with a release date of 2010.

The actor Colin Firth has been cast to play the King.

I think Colin Firth is a great actor, but playing George VI will indeed be a challenge.

iowabelle 09-17-2009 02:03 PM

That just doesn't sound like a winner as far as movies go.

Royal Fan 09-17-2009 02:19 PM

Colin Firth as George VI no doesent seem possible

iowabelle 09-17-2009 07:55 PM

I agree. CF seems rather more assertive than the King, and not as highly strung apparently.

Warren 09-18-2009 07:16 AM

:previous:
Yes, but we won't be seeing Colin Firth the man, we'll be seeing Colin Firth the actor. Time will tell if he can pull it off.

iowabelle 09-18-2009 08:13 PM

Warren, he'll deserve a Supreme Oscar if he pulls it off... but I guess he won't and this is going to be a huge flop. (Just my opinion. :))

Wonder who they'll cast as the Duchess/Queen? Renee Zellweger, Cameron Diaz, or Nicole Kidman?

Marsel 09-18-2009 08:36 PM

I think Colin may way pull this role off. He’s a very good actor and no novice to difficult roles: we know he can deal with stammering too (like in A Month In The Country and Tumbledown).

Firth and Rush have collaborated together (Shakespeare In Love), and both have worked with Harvey Weinstein. Given Weinstein's hits (which include Shakespeare In Love and The Reader) and Tom Hooper’s no less successful movies (Elizabeth I and John Adams), I think the movie has every chance of a success.

Mermaid1962 09-18-2009 08:57 PM

Yes, exactly. Besides, wardrobe and make-up departments can do wonders with someone's build and appearance.:flowers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren (Post 993149)
Yes, but we won't be seeing Colin Firth the man, we'll be seeing Colin Firth the actor. Time will tell if he can pull it off.

Princejohnny25 09-18-2009 10:53 PM

Helena Bonham-Carter has been cast to play the Queen Mum. l must say, that bit of news makes me really excited to see this. She is one of my favourite actresses of all time and to see her play a real life figure rather than some Tim Burton-esque character will be a lovely change. I've always fancied Colin Firth but I believe he's got the acting chops to pull it off.

Helena Bonham Carter to play Queen Mother - Monsters and Critics

Marsel 09-18-2009 11:32 PM

Great news! :clap: :clap:

I adore Helena, she can pull off anything. Firth and Rush and Helena… The movie is definitely on my must-see list now.

iowabelle 09-23-2009 11:30 AM

HBC is a pretty obvious choice (better than the ones I facetiously mentioned!) and she might do a decent job of it, if this movie has to be made. But I'm thinking it's going to be a financial disaster. At best it might win critical acclaim and still be one of those movies nobody sees.

Jeniann 09-24-2009 12:08 PM

I'm hoping for the best but I doubt this will be very accurate and the actors don't resemble who they're playing at all.

Lumutqueen 09-24-2009 12:25 PM

Helena Bonham Carter as The Queen? Colin Firth as King George? :ermm::ermm:

We shall have to see, has anyone seen any more articles on the subject?

I cannot find any information for Helena, nor Colin or Geoffory that they have been signed for this project or it's in pre-production. Getting to late 2009 now.

:whistling:

Jeniann 09-24-2009 04:37 PM

There's a good chance none of this will ever happen. Remember in the last year we've heard about multiple movies that nothing ever came of. Like Madonna as Wallis Simpson or Scarlett Johansson as Mary, Queen of Scots.

Warren 09-25-2009 04:50 AM

According to this link the film is in pre-production.

Lumutqueen 01-15-2010 04:46 AM

A majestic opportunity as glory beckons for King Colin the Firth | Mail Online

Dierna23 01-15-2010 09:10 AM

Thanks for the article, lumutqueen. :flowers:

I'm looking forward to this film. But I must admit, as much as I adore Helena as an actress (especially in historical movies), I think it's a weird cast. Just my two cents.

Duchessmary 01-15-2010 11:20 AM

Hmmmmm might be worth a peek.