The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   what Languages do royals speak to one and other (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/what-languages-do-royals-speak-to-one-and-other-2359.html)

bct88 05-20-2004 10:06 PM

what Languages do royals speak to one and other

When multiple royal families gather together for events such as weddings or funerals, when they speak to each other, what language do they use? Do they all speak English. I know that some speak English, some speak French, yet do they all speak one language?

Dennism 05-20-2004 10:37 PM

Most of them do speak English. Some may speak French or German or Italian to one another. Arabic would be a common language among the Middle Easterners and North Africans, of course, although it would be MSA because their dialects are sometimes practically unintelligible from one country to another. But if they are educated enough, they wil speak in Classical Arabic.

Banadoora 05-21-2004 01:52 AM

That's odd. I've never considered that question. Well most of them go to schools abroad so I assume that they all speak English and French.

Quote:

Arabic would be a common language among the Middle Easterners and North Africans, of course, although it would be MSA because their dialects are sometimes practically unintelligible from one country to another. But if they are educated enough, they wil speak in Classical Arabic.
Indeed. There's a standard Arabic that everyone understands. It's learned in school. Although, I'm sure that most of the time it isn't needed.

grecka 05-21-2004 01:53 AM

I have always thought that French was the most common language used among the creme de la creme of the aristocracy. I imagine now that English and French are probably the two most used languages among the royals.

Dennism 05-21-2004 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by grecka@May 21st, 2004 - 1:53 am
I have always thought that French was the most common language used among the creme de la creme of the aristocracy.  I imagine now that English and French are probably the two most used languages among the royals.
French certainly was until about 50 years ago among royals. And still quite popular among some in the aristocracy But English is now more widely-spoken among royals.

hillary_nugent 09-19-2004 07:34 AM

I think they would speak of their national language with their family members and relatives and maybe English or French with friends and guests...

norwegianne 09-20-2004 12:03 PM

I would imagine that the Scandinavian royals talk to each other in their native languages.

I would also imagine that the Luxembourgese and Belgians talk French together. And the Belgians talk flamish (sp?) with the Dutch. Just an assumption. The rest of them I suppose speak English when they're together.

I know that King Olav of Norway said in a book: When he talked with his mother in Norway they spoke English, but when they went to the family in England, the two of them spoke Norwegian when they didn't want anybody else to overhear.

NJRedDevils 09-21-2004 08:52 AM

Similarities in Scandinavian languages

Is the the Swedish, Norweign and Danish Languages similar to each other or are they different? When the Royal families of Sweden, Norway and Danmark gather together do they speak English or there own langauages and they know what each are saying?

Alexandra 09-21-2004 09:16 AM

At school I had Swedish lessons for many years (I am Finn) and so I can read, write, speak and understand spoken language reasonably well. I also can read Norweign and Danish, not very well, but so and so, but when they speak, I understand hardly anything, especially Danish.
Queen Margrethe of Denmark speaks both Danish and Swedish, her mother was Swede, but I don't know, how it is with the other members of the families. I think, they understand each other, even if they speak their own language.

Alexandra 09-21-2004 09:25 AM

Most English, I should think. The Scandinavier can speak their own languages with each other.
Earlier in the world, the Royals used to speak French, but not nowadays.

GrandDuchess 09-21-2004 10:36 AM

I think it depends on the situation, but they can speak their own language and everyone will understand. Queen Margrethe however speaks a very elegant Swedish, which I heard when she opened her exhibition at Waldemarsudde this spring.

I'm Swedish - and understand both Danish and Norwegian (with maybe the exception of some strange dialects), and read both of them too (I read newspapers from both countries). The languages are similar, but also have their own niche - their uniqueness. That's how see it at least, I hope I provided some enlightnign. I'm sure you can read more about the languages online.

norwegianne 09-21-2004 11:06 AM

It depends on the situation. I guess Queen Margrethe is the one who switches the most. I have never heard King Harald speak Swedish, and his mother was just as Swedish as Margrethe's ;)

I'm Norwegian, and I live in Denmark. I can understand almost everything people say when they talk at normal speed and don't mumble, and the same goes for Swedish. I can read almost everything in the other two languages as well, though Swedish is harder to read than Danish. There are words that are different, but from experience here in Denmark a regular Dane has more trouble understanding Norwegians and Swedes than vica versa.

Dennism 09-21-2004 05:10 PM

I was looking at what Joachim said today and I was amazed at how much I understood it. I didnīt know that I knew any Danish! :) It is very close to Swedish indeed. Maybe one should learn all of them. Well, learn one right away and go from there. I remember that people were saying that for Mary pronounciation will be the toughest part for her. Danish is said to be quite difficult on this mark. Well, learn to read Danish first and then try to listen to it!

Elsie 09-22-2004 04:45 PM

I remember the question was raised at the wedding Anniversary of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. I remember one of the guest saying German and Danish, of course. but if the Queen Mother wals in the room you had to speak English unless you wanted to be shown the door.

betina 02-22-2005 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennism
I was looking at what Joachim said today and I was amazed at how much I understood it. I didnīt know that I knew any Danish! :) It is very close to Swedish indeed. Maybe one should learn all of them. Well, learn one right away and go from there. I remember that people were saying that for Mary pronounciation will be the toughest part for her. Danish is said to be quite difficult on this mark. Well, learn to read Danish first and then try to listen to it!

As a dane i must tell you that norwegian is much easier to understand than swedish.
Of the 3 langauges norwegian and danish remind most of each other.
I think it is because that Norway have been a part of Denmark for so long.
We have more in common with the norwegians.

Betina

betina 02-22-2005 06:14 PM

I know that Queen Margrethe and prince Hanrik speaks French with each other.

Betina

betina 02-22-2005 06:15 PM

sorry. Prince Henrik of Cause

Josefine 10-04-2005 09:41 AM

for many years in the past french was the Language of the courts
what is the Language when they send out the inventions for example weddings or jubelee's

crisiņaki 02-21-2006 12:07 AM

In the Spanish Royal Family Elena and Cristina usually talk amongst themselves in Greek when they are at the palace or don't want to be overheard, but with Felipe and their mother, the language of choice is English.

Cristina usually speak Spanish and Catalan alike with her children and husband even if they speak French as well (the kids go to a french school in Barcelona and Iņaki's mother has belgian heritage).

In the autobiography of Prince Henrik of Denmark he says that when his kids were little he pretended not to understand Danish so they have to speak French to him and I believe that tradition is still strong in their household.

De La Cruza 02-21-2006 12:35 AM

What language does Princess Caroline's children speak with Stephanie and Albert. What languge do the Grimaldi children speak together? and what language do the Casiraghi kids speak together? What language do Caroline's children speak with Stephanies children?