The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royal Residences (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f230/)
-   -   St James's Palace (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f230/st-jamess-palace-23016.html)

RoyalistRiley 06-29-2009 08:02 PM

St James's Palace

St James's Palace, located only a short distance from Buckingham Palace remains the official home of the Monarchy (as it is officially the Court of St. James) yet is only used for the occasional reception and houses many offices and apartments. Does anyone know why it is still the official home of the monarchy and if there is any public access to the Chapel Royal and Reception Rooms?

Harold 06-30-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley (Post 959749)
St James's Palace, located only a short distance from Buckingham Palace remains the official home of the Monarchy (as it is officially the Court of St. James) yet is only used for the occasional reception and houses many offices and apartments. Does anyone know why it is still the official home of the monarchy and if there is any public access to the Chapel Royal and Reception Rooms?

Saying the "Court of St. James" sounds a lot more classy and refined than saying the "Court of Buckingham!"

wbenson 07-11-2009 01:10 PM

Posts about the cost of the royal family have been moved to the Royal Finances thread.

wbenson
British Forums Moderator

Harold 07-12-2009 08:54 AM

Are St James Palace and Clarence House physically connected?

Lumutqueen 07-12-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold (Post 965433)
Are St James Palace and Clarence House physically connected?

Yes Clarence House stands beside St James' and it shares the palace gardens.
Clarence House:flowers:

RoyalistRiley 07-12-2009 11:40 PM

Interesting how you can visit Clarence House but not St James, even though they are the same building

muriel 07-15-2009 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley (Post 965648)
Interesting how you can visit Clarence House but not St James, even though they are the same building

Might that be because St J is not really a palace and really just offices and a few apartments for members of the royal family

RoyalProtocol 07-29-2009 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 966529)
Might that be because St J is not really a palace and really just offices and a few apartments for members of the royal family

No St. J P has lovely staterooms inside, I think there kept private in a bid to make it an exclusive location for royal invitations

RoyalistRiley 07-30-2009 02:56 AM

Good point. I think the sense of 'mystique' that surrounds some aspects of the monarchy is one of its strengths.

Opal 07-31-2009 12:23 AM

Does anyone have a picture of the whole palace? I've seen pictures of Clarence House (the part that's painted white) and a small part of St. James Palace, but never an outside shot of the whole thing.

Warren 07-31-2009 04:00 AM

:previous:
a variety of pics from Google images...

Aerial view
St James's Palace
St James's Palace
St Jamse's Palace
St James's Palace

As you can see it is a fairly large and rambling collection of buildings and thus difficult or impossible to photograph in one shot unless from the air.

Opal 07-31-2009 02:57 PM

Thanks Warren for those pictures. It's the first time I've seen an overhead shot of this palace. So it looks like Clarence House is on the corner of it. I wonder what that large square building is to the left of the palace(?)
http://wccampbell.com/albums/London2..._001.sized.jpg
I have to say looking at this picture St. James isn't a very "pretty" palace. And it looks like it might be one of the oldest. Maybe they're just not able to refurbish the outside because it's all brick.
Personally I think Buckingham Palace looks much nicer.

QueenElizabeth 08-19-2009 10:26 AM

The white building to the left is part of the Queen's Chapel on the linking road between St. James's Street and The Mall, called Marlborough Road.

magnik 08-19-2009 10:35 AM

Be honest, I never like St James Palace.
It look nothing special outside.

Harold 08-19-2009 11:23 AM

This is going to be tricky to explain, but hopefully I will make sense!

In the aerial photo of St. James Palace there is a large square portion of the palace to the lower left with its own courtyard. It appears that the clock tower with sentries is on the upper right side of this portion of the palace. Is this correct?

Then, there is a large "L" shaped section moving off of the square portion to the upper left and a smaller "L" shaped sectio moving off the square portion to the upper right. (This second "L" portion on the upper right branches off from what I think is the clock tower.)

On the top of the L portion on the upper left, it appears that this portion ends in a large white rather than red brick section. Is that Clarence House?

Or, just above this is another large white building with a roof that is partially green and partially glass looking. Is that Clarence House?

If Clarence House is the former then it is defintely physically part of St. James' Palace. If it is the later then it simply stands rather near the palace but is not physically part of the palace.

Oh, I justed noticed that the "L" section on the upper right leads to another portion of the palace. This portion seems to have a large square or rectangular building on the right and this portion also seems to end in a large white building. Is that Clarence House?

Sorry to be confusing if I am.

Warren 08-21-2009 05:10 AM

Harold, Clarence House is indicated with the red arrow... St James's & Clarence House

Harold 08-21-2009 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren (Post 982630)
Harold, Clarence House is indicated with the red arrow... St James's & Clarence House

Thanks, Warren. So it really is part of St James' Palace. What is the large building just above to the left?

Zonk 08-21-2009 07:15 AM

So it houses some of the Royal Family? Is it Princess Beatrice, Prince William and Prince Harry? I thought everyone who had a London spot lived in BP.

Warren 08-21-2009 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold (Post 982677)
What is the large building just above to the left?

Harold, that's Lancaster House.
quote:
Queen Victoria is said to have remarked to the Duchess of Sutherland on arriving at Stafford [Lancaster] House, "I have come from my House to your Palace."

This is why:

> Interior 1
> Interior 2

picture from Wikipedia Commons, public domain.
Lancaster House, 2006

pacomartin 10-08-2009 03:23 AM

I don't think the Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie have private residences in London. They probably have some privacy in the huge house in Windsor owned by their father. Prince Andrew's London residence is in Buckingham Palace. They probably have bedrooms as part of their fathers home there.
Princes William and Harry live in Clarence House, but it's a big place (over and acre of square footage). They probably have private entrances.