The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   What to wear??? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/what-to-wear-22509.html)

RoyalProtocol 06-12-2009 06:45 PM

What to wear???
 
:eek: On Sunday I'm going to The Queen's Cup Final at Guards Polo Club!:smile:

I am now distressed trying to decide what to wear, HM The Queen will be there but the dress code is Smart Casual, so would jeans, shirt and navy blazer be acceptable, or cream tousers instead of the jeans?

Any advice would be appreciated thanks!

sgl 06-12-2009 06:49 PM

I don't know for sure, but I would think that Smart Casual does not include jeans. I think that cream trousers would be a good choice.

RoyalProtocol 06-12-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgl (Post 951899)
I don't know for sure, but I would think that Smart Casual does not include jeans. I think that cream trousers would be a good choice.

I've been look at photos of last year and there were lots of jeans/blazer combos, but I don't know if I would be comfortable wearing Jeans in the presence of The Queen!

Thanks SGL

sgl 06-12-2009 06:57 PM

You're welcome! I love to wear jeans, but just like you, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them in HM's presence. I hope that you take lots of photos! You are very lucky.

Al_bina 06-12-2009 07:06 PM

What a lucky person you are! You are going to see Her Majesty... Although it may sound old-fashioned, what about a dress with a pashmina shawl or a cropped jacket? As for jeans, I am in agreement with sgl, trousers may suit better.

RoyalProtocol 06-12-2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al_bina (Post 951921)
What a lucky person you are! You are going to see Her Majesty... Although it may sound old-fashioned, what about a dress with a pashmina shawl or a cropped jacket? As for jeans, I am in agreement with sgl, trousers may suit better.

Sorry Al_bina- this is the problem with usernames- I'm a man but I get the idea and will steer clear of Jeans!:flowers:

Al_bina 06-12-2009 07:14 PM

I am sorry ... :blush: :blush: :blush: I am sure you will be dressed appropriately. :flowers:

sgl 06-12-2009 07:15 PM

Or you could wear a dress. You would definitely get HM's attention :lol:. Seriously, though, I asked my husband what his definition of "smart casual" is, and he thought that light-colored trousers, a button-down shirt with collar, and blazer (but no tie) would be fine. You will want to make sure that the fabric is somewhat light-weight, but not as light-weight as linen, since this is an outdoor event in the late spring/early summer.

RoyalProtocol 06-12-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgl (Post 951929)
Or you could wear a dress. You would definitely get HM's attention :lol:. Seriously, though, I asked my husband what his definition of "smart casual" is, and he thought that light-colored trousers, a button-down shirt with collar, and blazer (but no tie) would be fine. You will want to make sure that the fabric is somewhat light-weight, but not as light-weight as linen, since this is an outdoor event in the late spring/early summer.

This is great, I have to say I'm not fussed on linen so I don't have a linen bazer and my cream tousers are flannels so I think it should be fine.

As for the dress:rofl:

sgl 06-12-2009 07:19 PM

I do have several dresses that you could borrow if you change your mind :rofl:

What type of shoe were you thinking of wearing? Don't do anything that resembles a trainer or sandal, or anything with a high shine, since it will be daytime, and you aren't in military uniform (the only time it is acceptable for men to wear shiny shoes-other than weddings and evening events). I hope that you share your photos with us!

RoyalProtocol 06-12-2009 07:24 PM

I was thinking dull brown shoes (lace ups) which are smart but still casual and comfortable!

I have my camera ready to pack tomorrow so you can look forward to seeing the pictures on Sunday night and then on Monday I'll post the pics I take at Windsor Castle from the Garter Service (Morning Dress- so I'm sorted for that one, though I might go for the other option now- "Afternoon Dress, Hats":lol:)

sgl 06-12-2009 07:50 PM

I just purchased a new fascinator if you would like to borrow it for "Afternoon Dress" :rofl:

The brown shoes sound like a smart choice. Dull is always good for men's shoes in the daytime. Too much shine will be really tacky.

Just out of curiosity...how did you discover the dress code for the events? Was it stated on the invitations?

RoyalProtocol 06-13-2009 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgl (Post 951947)
I just purchased a new fascinator if you would like to borrow it for "Afternoon Dress" :rofl:

The brown shoes sound like a smart choice. Dull is always good for men's shoes in the daytime. Too much shine will be really tacky.

Just out of curiosity...how did you discover the dress code for the events? Was it stated on the invitations?

For Garter Day, it was stated on the invitation but for the QCF I had to ring the Polo glub and ask, but I found it in the FAQs which came with the tickets:biggrin:

sgl 06-13-2009 11:12 AM

Thank you for the explanation! I was wondering how one would find out about dress codes, etc. I wonder if the style of dress was set by the Polo Club, or if the Queen sets the dress code herself.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises