The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Princess Caroline and Family (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f36/)
-   -   Question about Ernst-August's character? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f36/question-about-ernst-augusts-character-22414.html)

kells 06-09-2009 03:39 AM

Question about Ernst-August's character?
 
I'm sorry, still relatively new to this, but I was wondering about the character of Caroline's husband. There are places that say he's boorish, overbearing, loud, and possibly a drunk. But he seems to me to be a loyal husband (maybe, I mean I just never heard about any infidelity) and good father. But I don't know, I haven't been a fan that long. I know that he did cheat on his wife with her best friend (Caroline) and I was extremely :ohmy: to hear that because I would've never pegged Caroline to do that. But in any case, I was just wondering if someone could help me out because I was really interested by this.

selket 06-10-2009 12:22 PM

I thought he had only taken up with Caroline after his marriage to Chantal had fallen apart. Maybe I have the chronology wrong. As for his character, he seems to be the one who always wants to have fun, and keep everyone else laughing. His reported abuse of alchohol seems like an extension of this tendency.

kells 06-10-2009 01:33 PM

From what I have read, he and Caroline were having an affair while Ernst was still married to her good friend Chantal. Now, I'm not sure as to whether they were already separated or got separated because of it. Regardless, she said something like "a third party had a huge influence" on the divorce and I think everybody knew it was prob. Caroline.

hibou 06-10-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kells (Post 950685)
From what I have read, he and Caroline were having an affair while Ernst was still married to her good friend Chantal. Now, I'm not sure as to whether they were already separated or got separated because of it. Regardless, she said something like "a third party had a huge influence" on the divorce and I think everybody knew it was prob. Caroline.

Well that is what apparently happened. However, the truth is that when a marriage dissolves and there is a "third party", the marriage was already in deep trouble before the third party came on the scene. Having said that, Caroline should have waited until they separated. Ernst over the years has been discribed many ways including all the ones you listed above. I think a lot had to do with the alcohol. It seems that since he went into rehab his behavior has changed for the better.

mia_lanes 06-11-2009 08:52 AM

From what I remember, he went into rehab after serious alcohol related illness. He was hospitalised around the same same as Prince Rainir's death. That was when he changed.

fandesacs2003 06-11-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mia_lanes (Post 951054)
From what I remember, he went into rehab after serious alcohol related illness. He was hospitalised around the same same as Prince Rainir's death. .

Correct. He was not present to Rainer's funeral.

Elly C 06-11-2009 12:53 PM

What I find interesting about the Ernst/ Caroline marriage is that Grace apparently considered Ernst as a potential partner for Caroline. Other than his obvious royal pedigree, I haven't really come across any further explanation for this, particularly given his Playboy image as a young man which was one of the problems with Junot. Caroline was said to have found Ernst boring at the time.

Rascal 06-13-2009 10:26 AM

Timeline separation-divorce-marriage-birth
 
IIRC Caroline was pregnant at the time of her marriage to Ernst. Does anyone know if this was a factor in the breakdown of his 1st marriage? Were he and Chantal divorced before the pregnancy, separated before the pregnancy? etc.
Slightly off-topic but considering the amount of press devoted to Caroline's strained relationship and/or disapproval of her sister Stephanie, it seems rather hypocritical to judge another when she filled the role of homewrecker (by breaking up a marriage), backstabber (since the 1st wife was her friend), and manipulative (if you consider that without a pregnancy, Ernst might not have married her). If the portrayals of Ernst are correct, perhaps they were a perfect match.

kells 06-13-2009 11:32 AM

^I sort of agree with you Rascal. It really changed my opinion of Caroline when I heard that. Then again, I probably shouldn't have been surprised as Grace Kelly was no angel herself. I've heard rumors that before she married Rainier she had had plenty affairs herself with married men.

I can't comment on her relationship w/Steph though. Because in that scenario I don't know what's real and what's press invented.

But at any rate, to answer your question, I'm pretty sure that Chantal and Ernst were fully divorced around the time that Caroline got pregnant. Having looked at pictures on charlottemariepomeline.web it would seem that he was around a long time before they actually got married. He was supposed to have come into the picture right after Vincent Lindon. But I do think he married her cuz she was pregnant. You could see her bump through the wedding dress!

MAfan 06-13-2009 11:41 AM

BTW, Ernst and Chantal divorced on 23 October 1997, and Ernst and Caroline married on 23 January 1999. Since Alexandra was born on 20 July 1999, Caroline got pregnant in October 1998, less or more. So, Ernst and Caroline could have begun their relationship after the divorce of Ernst and Chantal...I can't see any betrayal...

ZUBIAUR 06-13-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kells (Post 952212)
^I sort of agree with you Rascal. It really changed my opinion of Caroline when I heard that. Then again, I probably shouldn't have been surprised as Grace Kelly was no angel herself. I've heard rumors that before she married Rainier she had had plenty affairs herself with married men.

I can't comment on her relationship w/Steph though. Because in that scenario I don't know what's real and what's press invented.

But at any rate, to answer your question, I'm pretty sure that Chantal and Ernst were fully divorced around the time that Caroline got pregnant. Having looked at pictures on charlottemariepomeline.web it would seem that he was around a long time before they actually got married. He was supposed to have come into the picture right after Vincent Lindon. But I do think he married her cuz she was pregnant. You could see her bump through the wedding dress!

What you have said of Grace is false.Grace was decent and virgin when she got married.All the books about her are calumnies to earn some money.She was an angel .Please respect her memory as she can not defend herself from all the calumnies:angel:

kells 06-13-2009 03:33 PM

:ermm:...I didn't mean to offend anybody. I'm sorry if I didn't clarify but I had just heard rumors that Grace had had affairs with a couple of her leading men who were married at the time.

And on the Caroline-Chantal-EA triangle, I don't know exactly what happened there, but evidently everything worked out. Chantal's got a cute young boyfriend and Caroline & EA appear to be happily married still.

However, I was still wondering if someone could elaborate on the EA situation. I've only ever read people saying that he is so-and-so without giving any explanation as to why. So does he just rub people the wrong way or were there instances of misbehavior?

iceflower 06-14-2009 03:38 PM

Please note: Several posts about Princess Grace and her past (love)
life before her marriage, have been deleted. They were off topic and the
whole discussion seems senseless as we will never know the truth about
that extremely private matter. The virginity of a person shouldn't be
discussed out of respect.

Iceflower
Monaco Forum Moderator

Rascal 06-14-2009 03:45 PM

Thanks for the clarification kells and MAfan. I wasn't sure about the sequence. I mentioned it because I thought it interesting as a study of the sibling relationship between Caroline-Stephanie. For that matter, I have NEVER heard anything about EA's relationship with his siblings. I wonder how they viewed this whole situation at the time (since so much time has gone by and they by all appearances seem to have a strong marriage) or how they view the criticism (deserved or not) that EA receives.

MAfan 06-14-2009 03:52 PM

Well, to be totally honest my is only a possibility, I don't know if all has gone how I have described; the dates I have written are correct, but I don't know when Caroline and Ernst have begun their relationship...
I prefer to think that noone has betrayed anyone, but...honestly I don't know.

giov 06-14-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAfan (Post 952219)
BTW, Ernst and Chantal divorced on 23 October 1997, and Ernst and Caroline married on 23 January 1999. Since Alexandra was born on 20 July 1999, Caroline got pregnant in October 1998, less or more. So, Ernst and Caroline could have begun their relationship after the divorce of Ernst and Chantal...I can't see any betrayal...

They begun their relationship in 1995. I remember the first paparazzi's pics of Caroline and Ernst in 1995.

MAfan 06-14-2009 03:59 PM

Well, as I have just said, I didn't know when they begun their relationship...
And does someone know if Ernst and Chantal separated before divorcing? If so, when?

maria-olivia 06-14-2009 05:22 PM

I remember Prince Rainier saying to her that it was unfair to have a relationship with her bestfriend's husband.
I saw a picture of Chantal and is says Chantal of Hannovre.

Caroline was pregnant also when she marries Stefano.

Glistening Seas 06-14-2009 06:10 PM

Glistening Seas
 
:hellokitty:while there is lots that we don't know about Caroline and Ernests relationship.

:thistle: In all honesty in a situation like Caroline and Ernest it would seem for the marriage to have broken up it must have been on rocky ground before he and Chantel broke up?
:rose:It appears that Caroline seems to enjoy ernests children as well which is also good.

:thistle: More than likely it's probably what Caroline might have said to Ranier when he made the comment to Caroline about dating her best friends husband??

:rose2:It seems for such a short marriage time they are doing quite well and that's good news!! :bee::heartflower:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises