The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Ceremony and Protocol (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f162/)
-   -   Royal Protocol and Etiquette (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f162/royal-protocol-and-etiquette-2178.html)

Lord Williams 05-04-2004 01:36 AM

Royal Protocol and Etiquette

How much royal etiquette is there and can you tell me?

Dennism 05-04-2004 01:48 AM

The first rule of Royal Etiquette is - you do not talk about Royal Etiquette. The second rule of Royal Etiquette is - you DO NOT talk about Royal Etiquette.

Sorry. I could not resist. There must be a lot of it and a lot of it will be different from country to country. The customs of the country itself do not play a minor part as well.

bct88 05-04-2004 06:59 AM

I do know that in England, you do not speak unless you are spoken to. And do not let any part of yourself touch Her Majesty.

micas 05-04-2004 07:06 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: That apen in Spain to. We just talk with some1 from royal if they speak to you.
Letizia broke that rule :lol: :grrr: :lol: :lol:

royal_sophietje 05-04-2004 07:24 AM

Great avatar Micas!!!

On-topic: I don't know exactly about the protocol in the Netherlands, I hope Mr. Google can help :)

micas 05-04-2004 09:26 AM

:lol: :grrr: :lol: :lol: Thanks, i stay you like my avarat............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is a rul that belive existe in all of then. The person always have to walk 2 steps back to the Queen and the King. In resume 2 stepts biaynd them and never can turne the bakcs from them.

micas 05-04-2004 09:29 AM

If you are a regular person, we have to do that with any member from reoyal

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mgrant 05-05-2004 02:47 PM

Hi!

I think this is a great topic and like Dennism says, it will vary from country to country. Please, by all means, share any more rules of royal etiquette that you know with the rest of us :P

tiaraprin 05-28-2004 11:24 PM

The protocol on meeting a British royal is as follows:

Do not offer your hand to the Royal until they do so.

If you are not a British Citizen, you do not have to curtsy or bow--your choice.

Do not speak to the Royal until they address you.

At the first addressing of the Royal in question you say Your Majesty or Your Royal Highness. After that it is Sir or Ma'am.

Do not attempt getting an autograph--very declasse!

Do not attempt to touch the royal in any other way i.e. a hug, kiss. Very Tacky. The Queen Mum never got over Jimmy Carter hugging her and giving her a kiss!!

If you are a British Citizen or just wish to--Curtsy or bow when the Royal moves on.

hrhcp 05-28-2004 11:44 PM

In England, I hear, you only start to eas when the Queen starts. And the food is removed when the Queen finishes. SO you better eat fast.

tiaraprin 05-28-2004 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by King Christian@May 28th, 2004 - 10:44 pm
In England, I hear, you only start to eas when the Queen starts. And the food is removed when the Queen finishes. SO you better eat fast.
that is true--but the Queen is very considerate. She keeps a salad next to her as a prop so other guests can finish their meals. The one who never finishes on time is Prince Charles and the Queen has just given up on him!

hrhcp 05-29-2004 12:07 AM

oops ... I think I made a mistake .... it was Princess Margaret - the Queen's sister - who it was that wasn't a good host, eating wise. ;)

tiaraprin 05-29-2004 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by King Christian@May 28th, 2004 - 11:07 pm
oops ... I think I made a mistake .... it was Princess Margaret - the Queen's sister - who it was that wasn't a good host, eating wise. ;)
you learn fast King Christian!! Bravo!! Margaret was a spoiled brat!! :innocent:

yvr girl 06-05-2004 10:43 PM

Also, royalty arrives last - don't be late. They also leave first. This used to be a problem with Princess Margaret. She was quite a party girl, and a night owl. People would get worn out waiting for her to leave. She was also quite a stickler for protocol.

Junior royalty (non-monarchs or heads of state) must bow or curtsey to senior royalty.

One should not sit while a member of a royal family is standing (unless you are infirm.)

carlota 06-06-2004 06:59 AM

royal ettiquete in england seems to be very serious and quite antique...

general tips:
even in informal situations, never eat chewing gum.
when you are with a junior or senior royal if you are invited something to drink, you should NEVER ask for any drink with alcohol. (that rule was broken in felipe's and letizia's wedding, when at the end of the dinner they invited their intimate friends with a bar full of alcoholic drinks. however, letizia didn't drink...)
never never never smoke in front of a royal.

micas 06-06-2004 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tiaraprin+May 28th, 2004 - 10:59 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tiaraprin @ May 28th, 2004 - 10:59 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-King Christian@May 28th, 2004 - 10:44 pm
In England, I hear, you only start to eas when the Queen starts.&nbsp; And the food is removed when the Queen finishes.&nbsp; SO you better eat fast.
that is true--but the Queen is very considerate. She keeps a salad next to her as a prop so other guests can finish their meals. The one who never finishes on time is Prince Charles and the Queen has just given up on him&#33; [/b][/quote]
Poooooooooor Prince Charles :( :( :( :( :(

That mean that he never end his food :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or he talk to much or eat to slow. How far i can realise in royals meals they just serve the plate made. That is you heat that and you can not reapet. They put the plat in front of you and is that.

In fact the Spanish protocal is horse than the british. He don&#39;t look like that but he is. The Duke of Braganša say in one interviwe that he never see horse than that. The 2 worst protocall is the spanish and the austrieque that don&#39;t existe now because don&#39;t exist an emperador.

Josefine 11-16-2004 05:08 AM

every court has their own Etiquette

semisquare 11-16-2004 10:57 AM

i lov this topic---keep it commin

Josefine 03-24-2005 05:50 AM

Royal Etiquette bwtween royals

I guess how the entering different funktion when there is a royal gathering
or we have seen junior royals bowing or curtsy to senior royals like at mńrtha luoise wedding i saw them or at least victoria curtsy to the queen of denmark

NJRedDevils 09-28-2005 07:06 AM

Question about marriage betwen Royal households

I was wondering , as an example say Lord Frederick of Windsor was dating Princess Madeleine of Sweden and they wanted to marry, does Freddy ask his head of the Royal Family been QEII, b4 asking King Gustav for permission or does he just ask King Gustav?

I know in commenor life the guy asks the girls father/parents.

Or Like CP Frederik, he asked his mother and CP Mary's father for their Blessing. But i was wondering how would it work between 2 different Royal Households wanting to Marry?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: