The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royalty Past, Present, and Future (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Abdication (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f164/abdication-21134.html)

imojeen 06-21-2009 07:28 AM

I hope QEII will never abdicate.. She is good as queen.

Esmerelda 12-03-2010 04:57 PM

There were rumours that King Albert of Belgium was considering abdication but decided not to due to the recent political situation. I think Queen Beatrix would abdicate when her grandchildren are old enough for their father to resume the throne. Grand Duke Henri may abdicate in the distant future (once Guillaume is married, with children and considerable experience) as his father Jean did.

Never going to abdicate: Queen Elizabeth, King Harald, King Carl Gustav, Queen Margrethe, Emperor Akihito.

rob2008 12-03-2010 05:47 PM

I think Good Queen Beatrix should go on and on. The Prince of Orange and Maxima should be allowed to enjoy their family life - and in the meantime they should take on more official activities to take the pressure off HM. Good Queen Elizabeth must not and should not and cannot abdicate. She represents the best in the UK and British people appreciate very young and aged monarchs. It is preferable if Charles and Camilla stay out of the picture.

Charlotte_Aster 12-03-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob2008 (Post 1170135)
Good Queen Elizabeth must not and should not and cannot abdicate. She represents the best in the UK and British people appreciate very young and aged monarchs. It is preferable if Charles and Camilla stay out of the picture.

E2R already stated that she would continue to rule until she dies. Come to think of it no regent in the UK ever abdicating, except for the Duke of Windsor.
I think it's simply not in the cards for them.

MRSJ 12-06-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster
E2R already stated that she would continue to rule until she dies. Come to think of it no regent in the UK ever abdicating, except for the Duke of Windsor.
I think it's simply not in the cards for them.

How about Charles I? Does that count? I believe he abdicated

Warren 12-06-2010 04:23 PM

:previous:
Charles I remained King of England, King of Scotland and King of Ireland until his execution.

Smart 12-21-2010 11:00 AM

Personally I think abdication should only be done under extreme circumstances. Royalty is a from birth to death occupation. Meaning that abdication denies the foundation of Royalty. (especially, if it is only because the monarch is old).

I would expect the "big" Monarchies to not have abdications - Q. Elizabeth II, K. Juan Carlos I, Q. Margrethe II, etc.

Emperor Roku XIV 10-16-2011 04:07 AM

Queen Elizabeth II has said that she will not abdicate I am pretty sure. Her health seems to be good so perhaps she will even break the 72 year record of Louis XIV for longest reigning European monarch.

Iluvbertie 10-16-2011 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor Roku XIV (Post 1326736)
Queen Elizabeth II has said that she will not abdicate I am pretty sure. Her health seems to be good so perhaps she will even break the 72 year record of Louis XIV for longest reigning European monarch.

She didn't actually say that she wouldn't abdicate but rather that she would serve Britain and the Commonwealth for her entire life - so if the best way should could serve Britain was to abdicate then she would do so - but I do agree I can't see her ever abdicating. She regards her coronation oath as binding and also believes that she was chosen by God to be in this position - not in the Divine Right of Kings mind you but that she was God's chosen person to be the monarch at this time in history (I believe that God chose me to be a teacher by the way).

To surpass Louis she will have to live to 97.

Now a lot of people reach 85 in good health but go downhill rapidly in their early 90s - especially if they start to get any sort of health problems.

I notice that this week she cancelled an engagement due to a cold - not a big thing in itself but coming just before a 24 hour flight to Australia with the attendant air conditioning etc on those flights I do hope that she doesn't pick up some other bug.

NGalitzine 10-16-2011 02:07 PM

Even with ill health there would be no need for abdication, a regency could be put in place with QE2 still the reigning monarch and the POW as regent exercising the powers of the monarch.

Iluvbertie 10-25-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGalitzine (Post 1326848)
Even with ill health there would be no need for abdication, a regency could be put in place with QE2 still the reigning monarch and the POW as regent exercising the powers of the monarch.

A Regency can only be put in place if the monarch is mentally incapacitated or too young. It would take a medical decision to take away the powers from the Queen and Charles would then become Regent.

Mermaid1962 10-26-2011 10:48 PM

Yes, it's essentially an emergency provision, isn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 1330162)
It would take a medical decision to take away the powers from the Queen and Charles would then become Regent.

Warren 10-27-2011 10:25 AM

Sigh. The attempt to hijack the thread into a "Charles should abdicate and take Camilla with him" argument has been removed.

Warren
Administrator

NGalitzine 10-27-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 1330162)
A Regency can only be put in place if the monarch is mentally incapacitated or too young. It would take a medical decision to take away the powers from the Queen and Charles would then become Regent.

I agree, but wasn't the suggestion that her health no longer allowed her to fulfill the role. Otherwise it would just be a case of Charles and others taking on more and more of the monarchs public role and the Queen merely signing legislation as needed.
One of the elements of the British monarchy is its ability to make adaptations to work around situations when necessary.

CyrilVladisla 06-26-2016 10:28 PM

The farewell address of Queen Beatrix on the eve of her abdication
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmIP0yLP7Vg