The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Crown Princess Mary and the Danish Home Guard (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/crown-princess-mary-and-the-danish-home-guard-20055.html)

Ctejnoe 01-19-2008 08:19 AM

I think it's nice that Mary is becoming part of the Home Guard...its a branch of the military in Denmark that hasn't has the highest profile or regard for sometime. She's just creating awareness, as is the purpouse of any of her engagements.
And i happen to think our Crown Princess looks cool in uniform...:smile:

Regina 01-19-2008 09:33 AM

I think this is Fantastic! As a Future Queen, Mary has to know about everything, and military service is an important thing to any country.

Article from Hola.com
This article says everyone was surprised with her abilities and capacities.

msleiman 01-19-2008 10:09 AM

I think this is a good thing also. What is the Danish press saying about it? Do the danish people think it is a good thing?

Fashionista100 01-19-2008 10:16 AM

I just read a translated article that Mary is doing the actual training and will be an actual member of the homeguard assigned most likely to a Copenhagen unit. She will go through training in increments instead of a week intensive course. She will also participate in a weekend exercise in the future. So from what I gather, its no longer ceremonial but reality now. Good for her. She was always athletic so this should be right up her ally. And the fact that she is doing it for real instead of just for a ceremonial thing is great.

ashelen 01-19-2008 12:08 PM

so it is only a week course?

UserDane 01-19-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highpriestess (Post 718209)
Please enlighten me: Which other crown princesses - I mean the wife of the heir, not the heiress to the throne - have done this?

Does it surprise you that the 'wife of the heir' could take an active interest in this aspect of society? What are your thoughts about the 'husbands of heirs' who usually hold military positions then? :cool:

T4phage 01-19-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fashionista100 (Post 718307)
I just read a translated article that Mary is doing the actual training and will be an actual member of the homeguard assigned most likely to a Copenhagen unit. She will go through training in increments instead of a week intensive course. She will also participate in a weekend exercise in the future. So from what I gather, its no longer ceremonial but reality now. Good for her. She was always athletic so this should be right up her ally. And the fact that she is doing it for real instead of just for a ceremonial thing is great.

Can you post a link for the translated article? If you still have it. :angel:

pretoriana18 01-19-2008 01:45 PM

I like very much her look.. very strong...jajaja

Madame Royale 01-19-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fashionista100 (Post 718307)
I just read a translated article that Mary is doing the actual training and will be an actual member of the homeguard assigned most likely to a Copenhagen unit. She will go through training in increments instead of a week intensive course. She will also participate in a weekend exercise in the future. So from what I gather, its no longer ceremonial but reality now. Good for her. She was always athletic so this should be right up her ally. And the fact that she is doing it for real instead of just for a ceremonial thing is great.

So, if I understand correctly, HRH will be an actual member of the armed forces, and shall not hold any ceremonial position.

I don't see anything wrong with holding a ceremonial position, though. I agree it's wonderful she's actively participating, though to be a royal figurehead of any arms regiment has long been a tradition in many a European royal houses. Goes with the territory almost.

I note it's concerned exclusively with the defence of sovereign (Danish) territory and is voluntary and unpaid. The honour of protecting one's borders is payment enough, so to speak.

GlitteringTiaras 01-19-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratyinside (Post 718371)
Can you post a link for the translated article? If you still have it.



DRWs has translated the entire article into English, so click the link above to see what they have to say via their sources.

BurberryBrit 01-19-2008 04:09 PM

Mary is so awesome. I love that she's doing this. Fred must be so proud to have a wife to take on such a challenge!

T4phage 01-19-2008 05:17 PM

Wow, Mary is amazing. Let's hope she does the C chamber alright, would kinda suck if she doesn't. And doesn't injecting Antropin hurt? (Yes, retarded question, I know)

Lady Bluffton 01-19-2008 09:55 PM

What name is Mary known by as a Private in the Home Guard?

Mary Glucksberg?

Mary Denmark?

Likewise, what surname if any do Frederik and Joachim use with their military ranks?

T4phage 01-19-2008 11:16 PM

I think Frederik chooses Henriksen, I read that when he was studying in Harvard, since he had to pick a last name, he picked Frederik Henriksen, and he's been using that whenever he needs a last name. Just like Prince William and Harry use Wales. Perhaps Mary will use Henriksen, or use Donaldson, who knows.

ashelen 01-20-2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratyinside (Post 718653)
I think Frederik chooses Henriksen, I read that when he was studying in Harvard, since he had to pick a last name, he picked Frederik Henriksen, and he's been using that whenever he needs a last name. Just like Prince William and Harry use Wales. Perhaps Mary will use Henriksen, or use Donaldson, who knows.

what do you mean he pick , does not the royal family had a surname????

T4phage 01-20-2008 01:43 AM

They don't, just like the British Royals don't have one, Frederik's full name is Frederik André Henrik Christian and he belongs to House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg AKA The Royal House of Glücksburg, but they don't have a last name...they just belong to a Royal House.

I just know he uses the name
Henriksen.

Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Says when he was studying in Harvard he picked the last name Henriksen, which means he doesn't have one.

PR Princess 01-20-2008 02:13 AM

She is incredible for doing this, two thumbs up for MARY!

GlitteringTiaras 01-20-2008 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratyinside (Post 718686)
Says when he was studying in Harvard he picked the last name Henriksen, which means he doesn't have one.

He used Hendriksen -- son of Hendrik -- in honor of his father; moreover, he was trying to be anonymous when he was a short term exchange student at Harvard. Unfortunately, people eventually found out, according to Frederik.




Just another slight trivia from the 20/20 news program which did a story entitled Royals Rule back on May 14, 2004 (yes, the same day Frederik married Mary.) Ironic, ain't it.

JessRulz 01-20-2008 04:25 AM

These pics are really cool! I think it's great to see Mary take part in such an exercise. Margrethe did it too during her time as the Throne Follower, so it's not uncommon in the Danish RF to do this kind of thing :smile:

Larzen 01-20-2008 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratyinside (Post 718489)
Wow, Mary is amazing. Let's hope she does the C chamber alright, would kinda suck if she doesn't. And doesn't injecting Antropin hurt? (Yes, retarded question, I know)

Im curious which article they have used to translate that Mary is going to do this? Yes people who do the full home guard training do the C-chamber and Antrophin exercise, but an article in BT said she was not going to the full training, the full trianing is 256 hours, so far Mary has done an intensive course of 27 hours, and is going to report once more (it is not decided when)

If corurse she might to it but have not seen any article saying she has done it or will do it as part of her intensive course.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises