The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Crown Princess Mary and the Danish Home Guard (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/crown-princess-mary-and-the-danish-home-guard-20055.html)

GömdNatt 01-18-2008 10:48 AM

Crown Princess Mary and the Danish Home Guard

January 18, 2008

Mary takes part in basic training at the Danish Home Guard.

PPE Agency

This looks so cool! Mary looks like she's really interested and into it. Caroline...I'm not so sure, but I think it's great that they're both doing this.

iceflower 01-18-2008 10:48 AM

Pics 18.1.2008

Danish Crownprincess Mary has started the basic education
with Danish National guards at Christianminde Laegerpris
Danmark Jan 18/2008:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Ccile 01-18-2008 11:08 AM

is it really usaful for a crownprincess to do this kind of stuff??? It so strange to see her on these pics!!!

Drottning 01-18-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cécile76 (Post 717902)
is it really usaful for a crownprincess to do this kind of stuff???

The mouth-to-mouth procedure yes. Being a mother, she needs to know that. As for handling the guns...I'd rather not comment on that.

acdc1 01-18-2008 11:22 AM

I'm glad she's doing this. Is she going to be getting some kind of rank in the army?

dazzling 01-18-2008 11:24 AM

This is a very different event for Mary & a great change to see her in army outfit etc. Mary still manages to look lovely. Thanks for the pictures everyone.

Drottning 01-18-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc1 (Post 717914)
I'm glad she's doing this. Is she going to be getting some kind of rank in the army?

No. She's not in the military.

bbb 01-18-2008 12:08 PM

in the US the military gives orientations to spouses so they can experience what their partner is going through. perhaps this is the same type of thing, i think it's wonderful she's showing an interest in the military, as the Danish military is very respected (i know this for a fact from a cousin in the marines, he has very high praise for their professionalism and courage,) around the world. I think it shows her interest in all things that effect her countrymen, and i admire her hands on approach. only mary could look glamorous in that uniform, as usual she pulls it off ;)

H.M. Margrethe 01-18-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drottning (Post 717917)
No. She's not in the military.

Well she is becuse the Danish Home Guard is a very big part of the military her in Denmark. I am prude to se a new member of the same home guard i am a member in. ;) Perhaps she can be a officer like her mother and farther in-law her husband and brother in-law.

biboquinhas 01-18-2008 12:16 PM

Why Caroline was there?And why do they need to do this kind of trainning?

H.M. Margrethe 01-18-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biboquinhas (Post 717951)
Why Caroline was there?

She is one of Mary´s lady in waiting so therfor she was ther ;)

msleiman 01-18-2008 12:18 PM

I really do like see these pictures. I think that it is good to see her doing some military training. I remember seeing Diana doing some training with a gun one time. Will mary not get some type of rank in the military being CP/

Her_Majesty 01-18-2008 12:23 PM

The pictures are really cool! ;)
I remember seeing then Crown Princess Sonja of Norway taking part in such military events, too.
So I would call it "okay".
It shows another side of Mary. ;)

H.M. Margrethe 01-18-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msleiman (Post 717953)
I really do like see these pictures. I think that it is good to see her doing some military training. I remember seeing Diana doing some training with a gun one time. Will mary not get some type of rank in the military being CP/

I think that she will get a rank when she become Queen..just like Princeconsort Henrik when Queen Margrethe became Queen in 1972.

sgl 01-18-2008 12:49 PM

These are very interesting pictures! It is great that she is taking part in this training (even though I do agree that the gun photos are a bit strange). I can understand why she wants to do this.

Paty 01-18-2008 12:53 PM

The pics were taken today?

Her_Majesty 01-18-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paty (Post 717964)
The pics were taken today?

Yes, according to PPE's captions.

bbb 01-18-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe (Post 717950)
Well she is becuse the Danish Home Guard is a very big part of the military her in Denmark. I am prude to se a new member of the same home guard i am a member in. ;) Perhaps she can be a officer like her mother and farther in-law her husband and brother in-law.

i found this very interesting, could you please explain a bit more? Do all Danes participate or only those that volunteer? do you train very often and to what extent? how exciting to be a member of the same home guard, you have reason to be very proud. :flowers:

Drottning 01-18-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe (Post 717950)

So Mary is in the military now? I was never aware of that. Since when?

ashelen 01-18-2008 02:21 PM

Imust say it is a kind of a shock to her in this pics, speacially holding a weaphon, it is normally for CPs in europe to learn this???, I am sure it might be difficult for her, if she has to do it as a duty, but doesn't mean necesarrilly that she like it!

Her_Majesty 01-18-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 718006)
Imust say it is a kind of a shock to her in this pics, speacially holding a weaphon, it is normally for CPs in europe to learn this???,

I saw pictures of Crown Princess Victoria dressed in army clothes, too.
Edit:
Here is a pic:
Girls With Guns: News - Sweden's Princess Victoria Shows Off Combat Skills

GlitteringTiaras 01-18-2008 04:10 PM

A photo series from the Dutch blog, Troonovolgers as well as several articles from Berlingske Tidende, Jyllands Posten, and a press release from their official website. Finally, a short video clip.

ashelen 01-18-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her_Majesty (Post 718010)
Edit:
Here is a pic:

thank you for sharing the photo, certenly I could not imagine Maxima doing the same! Do they are obligated to do it ot they have a choice?

Paty 01-18-2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras (Post 718058)
press release from their official website.

Can Someone translate for us the Press release!
I´m very interest in this!

carlota 01-18-2008 04:56 PM

i find it extremely strange to see her doing this. what's the purpose? did alexandra also do it? does mary have any sort of militar position? is it a one-off sort of thing, or is it supposed to happen over some time?

highpriestess 01-18-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her_Majesty (Post 718010)
Edit:
Here is a pic:

Victoria will be the monarch, and the head of the millitary (Swedish posters are welcome to correct me if I'm mistaken). She's getting millitary training just as other male heirs are.

Mary is the consort. It's strage indeed to see her do this. Denmark doesn't have a mandatory millitary training for all men and women, does it? I couldn't help but think she's trying to imitate Diana for the photo ops.

dm2 01-18-2008 05:21 PM

I know that there will be photos of the Crownprincess wherever she goes, but the women I know in law enforcemnt or the military don't usually wear make-up during their training. Do Danish women in the military or similar train with make-up on? I really would like to know.

acdc1 01-18-2008 05:24 PM

Was Caroline Heering doing it with her? The other woman in the picture where she's learning "drills" or something of that sort looks very much like Caroline.

bbb 01-18-2008 05:59 PM

yes it is caroline, she doesn't look exactly thrilled to be there imo

acdc1 01-18-2008 06:05 PM

Since Caroline is Mary's lady-in-waiting/private secretary (o.k.- I'll admit it- I have no clue what that woman does anymore, since it said Mary got a new l.ow?), was she supposed to be there? Or did she do it just because she's Mary's friend and wanted to support her?

sandra1 01-18-2008 07:14 PM

@ highpriestess

Only because somebody does the same one like Diana is not called it that she imitate she. Diana was not the first princess she do something like this and Mary will not be the last.

Fashionista100 01-18-2008 09:24 PM

Mary will be Queen one day. Her son will be King. She will need to know this. Also, she may become patron too. This is just another aspect of Danish society she is learning about. Caroline is still her lady in waiting, but only on occassion. She is her private secretary too. I'm sure she was with Mary as liw and they suited her up too. Ladies in waiting often particpate in the same event. If she ever does hold a military position it will be honorary. To my knowledge Alex never did this, but maybe someone more familiar with Alex will know for sure. But Mary outranks her, and her children and husband will inherit the throne. Alex's will not unless there is some major problem or event.

GlitteringTiaras 01-18-2008 09:36 PM

Okay, so moving on... here is a short article loosely titled Mary Defends [her or the] Country (no, she is not headed to war, she's learning the basics), from BT and a short clip, again.

Laviollette 01-18-2008 09:51 PM

It looks like basic survival military training to me (CPR, learning to handle a weapon) and I think it's great. I don't think she's trying to imitate anyone.

Harmony 01-18-2008 10:52 PM

I must say CPss Mary looked good in the uniform. And it is great that she is doing this training for the country and for herself. I am sure that she will learn a lot of self defence stuff and emergency first aid that can be useful anytime at home or outside anywhere. The training is tough and I feel that she is very brave.
I remember the consort of King Jordan, Queen Rania in military uniform some time back.
Well, who knows other Crown Princesses may follow suit? :smile:

highpriestess 01-18-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandra1 (Post 718125)
@ highpriestess

Only because somebody does the same one like Diana is not called it that she imitate she. Diana was not the first princess she do something like this and Mary will not be the last.

Please enlighten me: Which other crown princesses - I mean the wife of the heir, not the heiress to the throne - have done this?

Laviollette 01-18-2008 11:33 PM

This is obviously something Mary wants to do. She doesn't have to do it. I really don't see anything wrong with it. What does it matter what other CP's are doing? They are all different and unique. Mary's learning good survival skills like CPR and first-aid as someone else has pointed out. Good for her.

Madame Royale 01-18-2008 11:48 PM

Quote:

Also, she may become patron too
I thought so, too. Perhaps some ceremonial role within the armed services? Who know's.

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall is Royal Colonel of 4th Battalion The Rifles, and Commodore-in-Chief of Naval Medical Services.

To my knowledge, and I could be mistaken, HRH serves as a ceremonial figure and has been appointed not through merit but through social standing. This is not uncommon for those women in such positions.

If Mary is to become any kind of ceremonial figurehead or royal patron (?) within the armed services, then at least she has taken a forthright and interactive approach in better understanding the fundamental logistics. An introduction, anyway...

Drottning 01-19-2008 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laviollette (Post 718210)
Mary's learning good survival skills like CPR and first-aid as someone else has pointed out. Good for her.

Yes, very essential too since she is a mother!

Larzen 01-19-2008 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highpriestess (Post 718209)
Please enlighten me: Which other crown princesses - I mean the wife of the heir, not the heiress to the throne - have done this?

Crown Princess Sonja, after completeing a military command (befal) course she holds the rank of "brigader" in the Norwegian military
Forsvarsnett: Prinsessen kan bli admiral

Ctejnoe 01-19-2008 08:19 AM

I think it's nice that Mary is becoming part of the Home Guard...its a branch of the military in Denmark that hasn't has the highest profile or regard for sometime. She's just creating awareness, as is the purpouse of any of her engagements.
And i happen to think our Crown Princess looks cool in uniform...:smile:

Regina 01-19-2008 09:33 AM

I think this is Fantastic! As a Future Queen, Mary has to know about everything, and military service is an important thing to any country.

Article from Hola.com
This article says everyone was surprised with her abilities and capacities.

msleiman 01-19-2008 10:09 AM

I think this is a good thing also. What is the Danish press saying about it? Do the danish people think it is a good thing?

Fashionista100 01-19-2008 10:16 AM

I just read a translated article that Mary is doing the actual training and will be an actual member of the homeguard assigned most likely to a Copenhagen unit. She will go through training in increments instead of a week intensive course. She will also participate in a weekend exercise in the future. So from what I gather, its no longer ceremonial but reality now. Good for her. She was always athletic so this should be right up her ally. And the fact that she is doing it for real instead of just for a ceremonial thing is great.

ashelen 01-19-2008 12:08 PM

so it is only a week course?

UserDane 01-19-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highpriestess (Post 718209)

Does it surprise you that the 'wife of the heir' could take an active interest in this aspect of society? What are your thoughts about the 'husbands of heirs' who usually hold military positions then? :cool:

T4phage 01-19-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fashionista100 (Post 718307)
I just read a translated article that Mary is doing the actual training and will be an actual member of the homeguard assigned most likely to a Copenhagen unit. She will go through training in increments instead of a week intensive course. She will also participate in a weekend exercise in the future. So from what I gather, its no longer ceremonial but reality now. Good for her. She was always athletic so this should be right up her ally. And the fact that she is doing it for real instead of just for a ceremonial thing is great.

Can you post a link for the translated article? If you still have it. :angel:

pretoriana18 01-19-2008 01:45 PM

I like very much her look.. very strong...jajaja

Madame Royale 01-19-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fashionista100 (Post 718307)

So, if I understand correctly, HRH will be an actual member of the armed forces, and shall not hold any ceremonial position.

I don't see anything wrong with holding a ceremonial position, though. I agree it's wonderful she's actively participating, though to be a royal figurehead of any arms regiment has long been a tradition in many a European royal houses. Goes with the territory almost.

I note it's concerned exclusively with the defence of sovereign (Danish) territory and is voluntary and unpaid. The honour of protecting one's borders is payment enough, so to speak.

GlitteringTiaras 01-19-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratyinside (Post 718371)
Can you post a link for the translated article? If you still have it.

DRWs has translated the entire article into English, so click the link above to see what they have to say via their sources.

BurberryBrit 01-19-2008 04:09 PM

Mary is so awesome. I love that she's doing this. Fred must be so proud to have a wife to take on such a challenge!

T4phage 01-19-2008 05:17 PM

Wow, Mary is amazing. Let's hope she does the C chamber alright, would kinda suck if she doesn't. And doesn't injecting Antropin hurt? (Yes, retarded question, I know)

Lady Bluffton 01-19-2008 09:55 PM

What name is Mary known by as a Private in the Home Guard?

Mary Glucksberg?

Mary Denmark?

Likewise, what surname if any do Frederik and Joachim use with their military ranks?

T4phage 01-19-2008 11:16 PM

I think Frederik chooses Henriksen, I read that when he was studying in Harvard, since he had to pick a last name, he picked Frederik Henriksen, and he's been using that whenever he needs a last name. Just like Prince William and Harry use Wales. Perhaps Mary will use Henriksen, or use Donaldson, who knows.

ashelen 01-20-2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratyinside (Post 718653)
I think Frederik chooses Henriksen, I read that when he was studying in Harvard, since he had to pick a last name, he picked Frederik Henriksen, and he's been using that whenever he needs a last name. Just like Prince William and Harry use Wales. Perhaps Mary will use Henriksen, or use Donaldson, who knows.

what do you mean he pick , does not the royal family had a surname????

T4phage 01-20-2008 01:43 AM

They don't, just like the British Royals don't have one, Frederik's full name is Frederik André Henrik Christian and he belongs to House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg AKA The Royal House of Glücksburg, but they don't have a last name...they just belong to a Royal House.

I just know he uses the name
Henriksen.

Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Says when he was studying in Harvard he picked the last name Henriksen, which means he doesn't have one.

PR Princess 01-20-2008 02:13 AM

She is incredible for doing this, two thumbs up for MARY!

GlitteringTiaras 01-20-2008 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratyinside (Post 718686)
Says when he was studying in Harvard he picked the last name Henriksen, which means he doesn't have one.

He used Hendriksen -- son of Hendrik -- in honor of his father; moreover, he was trying to be anonymous when he was a short term exchange student at Harvard. Unfortunately, people eventually found out, according to Frederik.

Just another slight trivia from the 20/20 news program which did a story entitled Royals Rule back on May 14, 2004 (yes, the same day Frederik married Mary.) Ironic, ain't it.

JessRulz 01-20-2008 04:25 AM

These pics are really cool! I think it's great to see Mary take part in such an exercise. Margrethe did it too during her time as the Throne Follower, so it's not uncommon in the Danish RF to do this kind of thing :smile:

Larzen 01-20-2008 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratyinside (Post 718489)
Wow, Mary is amazing. Let's hope she does the C chamber alright, would kinda suck if she doesn't. And doesn't injecting Antropin hurt? (Yes, retarded question, I know)

Im curious which article they have used to translate that Mary is going to do this? Yes people who do the full home guard training do the C-chamber and Antrophin exercise, but an article in BT said she was not going to the full training, the full trianing is 256 hours, so far Mary has done an intensive course of 27 hours, and is going to report once more (it is not decided when)

If corurse she might to it but have not seen any article saying she has done it or will do it as part of her intensive course.

JessRulz 01-20-2008 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larzen (Post 718723)
Im curious which article they have used to translate that Mary is going to do this? Yes people who do the full home guard training do the C-chamber and Antrophin exercise, but an article in BT said she was not going to the full training, the full trianing is 256 hours, so far Mary has done an intensive course of 27 hours, and is going to report once more (it is not decided when)

If corurse she might to it but have not seen any article saying she has done it or will do it as part of her intensive course.

It was part of what DRWBS wrote about the event, here's a link

Larzen 01-20-2008 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessRulz (Post 718724)
It was part of what DRWBS wrote about the event, here's a link

Yes thank you, but Im really wondering where they got it from:flowers:
I think it is a good initiative (and not a copying diana or anything like that) and personally dont care if she is attending 27 or 256 or 1000 hours, its the signal effect that is important, just wondering where they have the information from. D.K.H. Kronprinsparret - H.K.H. Kronprinsessen uddannes i Hjemmeværnet

The press release mentions what she was going to do and says nothing about tear gas and similar unless they include it in the part that is called "redning" - rescue or physical education??

BTW the homeguard already has 7500 women out of a member group of 50 000, not a bad prosentage IMO

BTW2 may I add that the pearl earrings worn by Mary and Caroline match wonderfully with their uniforms:angel:

BurberryBrit 01-20-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larzen (Post 718768)

BTW2 may I add that the pearl earrings worn by Mary and Caroline match wonderfully with their uniforms:angel:

It's nice to see Caroline going through this with Mary. It seems like they are really close. Mary's lucky to have such a loyal friend.

JessRulz 01-20-2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larzen (Post 718768)
Yes thank you, but Im really wondering where they got it from:flowers:
I think it is a good initiative (and not a copying diana or anything like that) and personally dont care if she is attending 27 or 256 or 1000 hours, its the signal effect that is important, just wondering where they have the information from. D.K.H. Kronprinsparret - H.K.H. Kronprinsessen uddannes i Hjemmeværnet

The press release mentions what she was going to do and says nothing about tear gas and similar unless they include it in the part that is called "redning" - rescue or physical education??

DRWBS usually gets its information like this (not from articles, etc) from Danish members of the CPMMB. Maybe they just assumed that the tear gas part of the course will be included. And if the press release doesn't say anything about tear gas but mentions what she was going to do, I would be surprised if Mary did the gas chambers :smile:

T4phage 01-20-2008 08:47 PM

It would be pretty cool if she did the gas chamber, and if she does, I hope she passes on her first try.

Fashionista100 01-20-2008 09:15 PM

I don't think it's pass or fail. I think she just must experience it to know what it is like. Police in America who carry mace or taser guns must have them used against them to know what they feel like too. Personally, I wouldn't want to do it. I wish her luck if she does.

Duke of Marmalade 01-21-2008 01:43 AM

I like the fact that she does such a training although I would really like to know the purpose. On the other hand it's very clear that Mary & military training don't really fit and she set up herself up for some jokes & critics. I mean military training is about taking part in some tough excercises and having mud on the face, and not make up :biggrin: (see Vicky of Sweden).

UserDane 01-21-2008 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 719111)
I like the fact that she does such a training although I would really like to know the purpose. On the other hand it's very clear that Mary & military training don't really fit and she set up herself up for some jokes & critics. I mean military training is about taking part in some tough excercises and having mud on the face, and not make up :biggrin: (see Vicky of Sweden).

I see it as a continuation of the tradition established by her MIL and Frederik's aunt Princess Benedicte who both have had similar or probably more extensive training (they grew up in Denmark and did it when they wre younger than Mary as far as I know) within the home guard. I would suppose that she will get plenty of opportunity to roll in mud :biggrin: later on. I see the purpose of any royal doing military or home guard training as part of a wish - or requirement - to be generally acquainted with all aspects of the society they function in.

KikkiB 01-21-2008 05:17 AM

I also believe she wanted to do this to get an insight in how the Danish military (home guards and other) really works in the practical part. As Crown Princess she has to have quite a good idea of how all parts of the Danish society, including the defense. So why not? She's an atlethic woman and probably would enjoy the drills they do (with or without a gun).

sgl 01-21-2008 11:43 AM

It also seems that if she is going to represent the people, then she needs to really know what life is like for her people. As Kiki said, this includes all aspects of life. I salute her for getting hands-on knowledge of the military. I have a history degree, and have studied many aspects of the American military, but I have never served in it, so I really don't know what it is like. One can study something in depth, but it is hard to know what something is truly like until they experience it first-hand. I hope that this experience is positive for Mary.:flowers:

BurberryBrit 01-21-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgl (Post 719286)
It also seems that if she is going to represent the people, then she needs to really know what life is like for her people. As Kiki said, this includes all aspects of life. I salute her for getting hands-on knowledge of the military. I have a history degree, and have studied many aspects of the American military, but I have never served in it, so I really don't know what it is like. One can study something in depth, but it is hard to know what something is truly like until they experience it first-hand. I hope that this experience is positive for Mary.:flowers:

Mary seems like the kind of person to really want to learn and experience things. She's not afraid to take risks and try new things. She was very brave moving to Denmark and marrying Fred, and she's showing her commitment to Denmark and her position by learning as much as she can. Some women would have balked at the idea of experiencing military service, but Mary is right up there with them, doing the full gamut. I applaud her.

agnessa 01-21-2008 05:43 PM

At first I was quite startled when I read this news and etc but for now I think that it's very good and normal. Mary is CP but she needs to get know about first aid, something about Danish military matters because there is never enough education :smile:. At some photos Mary face was quite strange but there were weaponry but I think this need just some accustom. I think it's very good example about that CP must expand her horizon in every possible way.

Polly 01-21-2008 10:54 PM

Mary's undergoing military training is one thing, particularly if it's normal practice in the DRF and I, certainly, approve of women in the armed forces. However, I cannot hide my dismay at seeing her holding a high-powered rifle which, to me, is a disturbing image.

But perhaps this is because I live in a country where the prevalence of much of the world's gun-culture is held in abhorrence. It is a given that any person trained in the military will learn to use a weapon, but I question the necessity of picturing the Crown Princess wielding one.

sgl 01-21-2008 11:50 PM

Does she live with other troops in the standard military lodgings, or is she staying at home or in a hotel while she is training? I wonder if she is going for the complete experience or if she is just taking part in drills during the day?

T4phage 01-21-2008 11:51 PM

Probably just taking drills in the day, and back home to Fred and the kids when the drills are over. She still has duties, no?

sgl 01-21-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fratyinside (Post 719569)
Probably just taking drills in the day, and back home to Fred and the kids when the drills are over. She still has duties, no?

Good point. I wasn't sure if she was taking a full week or more to study these drills, or if this was a one or two-day thing she was doing.

Duke of Marmalade 01-22-2008 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserDane (Post 719129)
I see it as a continuation of the tradition established by her MIL and Frederik's aunt Princess Benedicte who both have had similar or probably more extensive training (they grew up in Denmark and did it when they wre younger than Mary as far as I know) within the home guard. I would suppose that she will get plenty of opportunity to roll in mud :biggrin: later on. I see the purpose of any royal doing military or home guard training as part of a wish - or requirement - to be generally acquainted with all aspects of the society they function in.

Thanks UserDane :flowers: I hope we'll see these pictures too :lol:
However, I like the fact that there is something like this on her agenda!

UserDane 01-22-2008 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 719595)
Thanks UserDane :flowers: I hope we'll see these pictures too :lol:
However, I like the fact that there is something like this on her agenda!

So do I :smile: - not that I am particularly pro-military but somehow I see it fitting that female consorts do this as well as the royal males.
And I am sure that if Mary is going to squirm her way through a big puddle of mud, BilledBladet will be 1 meter behind her, camera ready ;)

ricarda 01-22-2008 04:30 AM

:lol::lol:
Not only BB. Since Se&Hoer seems to feel the necessity to report every time Mary goes to the toilette, I'm sure they will be there as well, camera ready.

H.M. Margrethe 01-22-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbb (Post 717977)
i found this very interesting, could you please explain a bit more? Do all Danes participate or only those that volunteer? do you train very often and to what extent? how exciting to be a member of the same home guard, you have reason to be very proud. :flowers:

All Danes can participate the Home Guard when they becom 18 but not if they have a crimehistory (murding other and other stuff). I am in the medic department (i am not a doctor or nurse) we very often traine oure skills in my groupe/company. I don´t like wepons and therfor i try to help healing insted of shooting a person(i have never shot a person and will never ever do that).

msleiman 01-22-2008 12:50 PM

I think that the money spent on the royals is worth it! I am wanting to visit Denmark because of Mary and the royal family. I am sure that alot of people do the same. Some people that would not have travled to Denmark go because of the RF. I also think that the Home Guard training is wonderful. Why do people get so upset. She will be Queen one day and she should not about these types of things. Good job Mary!

Regina 01-23-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msleiman (Post 719798)
I think that the money spent on the royals is worth it! I am wanting to visit Denmark because of Mary and the royal family. I am sure that alot of people do the same. Some people that would not have travled to Denmark go because of the RF. I also think that the Home Guard training is wonderful. Why do people get so upset. She will be Queen one day and she should not about these types of things. Good job Mary!

True! I hope to visit Denmark one day to see Princess Mary and the rest of the royal family. That's a dream I have because I like them a lot.

fanletizia 03-12-2008 07:45 AM

11-03-2008 Basic Crown Princess Mary has finished her basic training in the Danish Home Guard 'Hjemmevaernet'

PPE Agency

Her_Majesty 03-12-2008 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fanletizia (Post 741052)
11-03-2008 Basic Crown Princess Mary has finished her basic training in the Danish Home Guard 'Hjemmevaernet'

PPE Agency

Who ever expected to see the Princess like this? It was definitely very surprising to see Mary doing the military training. It's hard to realise her in this picture.
;)

JessRulz 03-12-2008 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her_Majesty (Post 741054)
Who ever expected to see the Princess like this? It was definitely very surprising to see Mary doing the military training. It's hard to realise her in this picture.
;)

Oh HM - that pic is priceless! Much like the one of Victoria covered in mud :lol:

GlitteringTiaras 03-12-2008 12:55 PM

There are a couple of articles today regarding Mary and the DHG. Click here and here. If any would like to give a short summary of either article, members would appreciate it very much.:smile:

Amely 03-12-2008 04:34 PM

HRH The Crown Princess in the Home Guard 9 - 11 March
(announced) Wednesday 12 March 2008
HRH The Crown Princess has over recent days completed the last part of the basic training in the Home Guard.
The training took place in Hedehusene and at Christiansminde near Jægerspris.

HQ photos /ColourPress

ImageShack - Hosting :: 08031180or2.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: 08031181lg7.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: 08031182qy6.jpg

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5832/08031183zd6.jpg

GlitteringTiaras 03-12-2008 04:46 PM

Wow, those photos are huge. Poor Caroline, she looks absolutely miserable.

Thanks for the bigger photos Amely.:flowers:

sgl 03-12-2008 04:48 PM

Wow. It is so wierd to see Mary covered in camoflauge makeup. Thank you for posting these photos.

Polly 03-13-2008 03:31 AM

Given the context, I suppose that I'm foolish, but I'm not to keen on seeing CP Mary with such an evil-looking gun. I suppose, again, that it's par for the course, given the training which she's undertaken.

My children's comments were apposite: 'we make women strong, in Australia!'.

Well done, CP Mary. I understand, too, that The Queen has had some military training and holds office?

marmi 03-13-2008 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras (Post 741404)
Wow, those photos are huge. Poor Caroline, she looks absolutely miserable.

Thanks for the bigger photos Amely.:flowers:

No, I really don't think that its Caroline's cup of tea!

Hanna Regina 03-13-2008 08:42 AM

I'm sure Caroline didn't imagine this was required of her when she got the job as CP Mary's Lady-in-waiting/secretary!
But Mary looks cool!

ashelen 03-13-2008 12:37 PM

in the hola magazine their are an article that states that the course was for 2 months i waswondering how long each day it was and how many times a week, i am sure it was hard! speacillay for Caroline

GlitteringTiaras 03-13-2008 03:42 PM

DRW's has more information, hence entire articles translated into English, regarding Mary's Home Guard training and her completion. It's a good read so enjoy.:smile:

Saphire 03-14-2008 10:45 AM

Denmark's glamorous royal completes Home Guard training

Have any of the other princesses done this type of training?

LadyK 03-14-2008 10:55 AM

Not any of the current group of crown princesses (with the possible exception of Victoria, I don't know if she ever did has).

However, there are several royal ladies who have done military service. Princess Anne, The Princess Royal, has long been involved with the military, and her mother, Queen Elizabeth II was a driver in WWII (that's when she learned how to drive!). Princess Astrid of Belgium is a colonel in the Belgian military medic corp, and at least one of King Abdullah II of Jordan's sisters has done military service.

JessRulz 03-14-2008 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyK (Post 742106)
Not any of the current group of crown princesses (with the possible exception of Victoria, I don't know if she ever did has)...

Victoria did some type of military training earlier on in her days as CP - there were pictures of her all covered in mud and army make-up :biggrin:

Aotearoagal 03-15-2008 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 742103)
Denmark's glamorous royal completes Home Guard training

Have any of the other princesses done this type of training?

Mary isn't wearing her wedding ring? She was wearing it in the earlier photos, and Caroline Heering is wearing hers in all the other army shots. There have been reports that Fred lost his wedding ring while diving, so perhaps she is superstitious and won't wear her ring until his is restored.

Madame Royale 03-15-2008 03:39 AM

Well if my hands were covered in a green substance I wouldn't want to wear my diamond studded wedding ring either, nor my Brazilian crafted engagement ring...;)

stellad 03-15-2008 06:06 AM

Fred is wearing a ring again and has been since shortly after he lost his ring.

Stellad