The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Picture of the Month, Special Features, Blogs & Articles (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f86/)
-   -   InÍs de Castro: The Queen Who Was Crowned After Death (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f86/in-s-de-castro-the-queen-who-was-crowned-after-death-19680.html)

Elspeth 01-14-2009 05:20 AM

InÍs de Castro: The Queen Who Was Crowned After Death

Before Romeo and Juliet, there was another pair of star-crossed lovers whose affair ended in tragedy but whose love story has been immortalised in literature and art. InÍs de Castro was a 14th-century Castilian lady-in-waiting at the Portuguese court when she and Dom Pedro, the heir to the Portuguese throne, fell deeply in love. Their affair threatened to destabilise relations between Castile and Portugal, so King Afonso arranged to have her assassinated. When Dom Pedro became King, he disclosed that he and InÍs had been secretly married and that she was his rightful Queen. Legend tells that he had her remains exhumed, seated on the throne, and crowned. Whether this legend is grounded in reality or not, InÍs was reburied at the Monastery of AlcobaÁa, where she and King Pedro lie in matching tombs.

More...

Elspeth 01-18-2009 05:25 PM

Elsa has written a very interesting article about one of the more colourful episodes of European royal history: a love story that really is stranger than fiction! This article is well worth a read for anyone who thinks that Henry VIII was the last word in outrageous behaviour with wives and mistresses.;)

Marengo 01-18-2009 05:47 PM

Thanks a lot Elsa! Since I had the privelige of reading your article before it was published it made my visit to Coimbra (and Quinta das Lagrimas! - where she was murdered) more interesting.

Al_bina 01-18-2009 07:23 PM

Elsa,
Thanks a lot for your article!:flowers: It is a truly sad love story.:cry: The main thing is that
Dom Pedro did really love her.

sirhon11234 01-18-2009 10:35 PM

What a tragic love story.... They should make a movie out of this story.

ANNIE_S 01-19-2009 04:13 PM

I love this story. I read it some years ago in a history book. I agree with you, sirhon, itīs a movie story...:rolleyes:

saravfernandez 01-20-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirhon11234 (Post 881482)
What a tragic love story.... They should make a movie out of this story.

they made a movie out of it... "ines de portugal" from a portuguese director

Elsa M. 01-20-2009 02:49 PM

Thank you all for reading the article.
The credits go for Elspeth and Marengo too, since they helped me through the process of writing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saravfernandez (Post 882241)
they made a movie out of it... "ines de portugal" from a portuguese director

There are 3 movies about this story, as can you can read in the article ;)

Elspeth 01-20-2009 02:55 PM

Anybody who thinks royal history is just a dry recitation of dates and wars should read this article. There's always been such a lot of human emotion involved, and this episode had more than its share!

Menarue 01-20-2009 03:19 PM

The arms of the Castro family are still to be seen in Cascais on the ruins of the walls that used to surround the castle.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...e/P4070030.jpg

Regina 01-21-2009 06:06 AM

Elsa, thanks for your article :queen4:

this is an article one can read a couple of times! It is really a tragic story but definitely worth reading and, IMO, your story can touch one deeply.

It's so hard to imagine how the Prince felt when he knew his InÍs was dead...

I believe Queen InÍs is the only queen who was crowed after death! That is already a special fact about her.

I also liked the chosen pictures a lot.

Very well done, dear friend! :flowers: :royalportugal2:

Marengo 01-21-2009 06:08 AM

Can't think of any other corpses that were crowned either, curiously enough...

I think it was more a story of power than a story of love btw, the Castillians trying to mingle in Portuguese affairs, as usual.

Menarue 01-21-2009 06:35 AM

I think of it more as a love story, there was a political side to it, that was the excuse for Inezīs murder but she was an extraordinarily beautiful woman and Pedro fell for her the moment he saw her and his grief made him seek vengeance. One of the murderers got away but the other two must have rued the day they decided to obey the King and murder her. A great tragedy also was that Pedro became King when his father died only 6 months later. 6 months too late for Inez.

Elspeth 01-21-2009 01:26 PM

I wonder, had she still been alive when Pedro became King, whether his legitimate son really would have been in danger. I gather the reason he couldn't marry her was because of her illegitimate descent, and I assume that taint would also apply to her children.

Mind you, if Pedro could make her Queen, I suppose he could insist that one of her children become King after him.

Kelly 01-21-2009 08:09 PM

What a wonderful although sad story. Thanks! I had never heard of this one before. So what happened eventually to her descent?

Marengo 01-22-2009 05:41 AM

Her sons Denis and Jo„o were claimants to the Portuguese throne during the crisis that followed the death of Pedro II. His niece Queen Beatriz of Castile (daughter of Fernando and Leonor Telles was another became king Jo„o I.

To Elspeth: Fernando, the son of Pedro and Constanca had his own Ines: he married Leonor Telles who in terms of notority surpasses even Ines.

-
From Niccolo Zingarelli, the Quartet of his Ines de Castro Opera:

YouTube - Niccolo Zingarelli - Ines de Castro - Quartetto

Regina 01-22-2009 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth (Post 882704)
Mind you, if Pedro could make her Queen, I suppose he could insist that one of her children become King after him.

What about Ferdinand, the son he had with Dona Constanza of Castile? As a father, he couldn't ignore the existence of his eldest son, I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly (Post 882911)
What a wonderful although sad story. Thanks! I had never heard of this one before. So what happened eventually to her descent?

InÍs and Pedro has the following children:
* Afonso, who died young
* Beatriz, who married Sancho of Castile
* Jo„o, married twice. First with Dona Maria Teles de Menezes and later with Constanza of Castile
* Diniz, who married with Dona Juana of Castile

Jo„o and Diniz were claimants to the throne, but they didn't reach it. After D. Pedro's death, Fernando was the King of Portugal, and after him D. Jo„o (the son of D. Pedro and another mistress, Teresa LourenÁo) took his place.
D. Jo„o I would marry with the famous and very beloved Philippa of Lancaster, Princess of England, and future Queen of Portugal.

Marengo 01-22-2009 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina (Post 883017)
What about Ferdinand, the son he had with Dona Constanza of Castile? As a father, he couldn't ignore the existence of his eldest son, I guess.

He could have had him killed though, with a plotting 2nd wife still alive that would have been a likely scenario :whistling:.

Elspeth 01-22-2009 11:32 AM

Even if he hadn't stooped to having his own son killed, I doubt InÍs's brothers would have had many finer feelings about doing it.

Chimene 01-22-2009 08:51 PM

What an interesting story, and since I don't know anything about Portuguese history, it was very informative and fascinating read. Thank you!