The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   A Satirical Portrait of Princess Mary (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/a-satirical-portrait-of-princess-mary-19606.html)

Anntw 01-06-2009 12:02 AM

A Satirical Portrait of Princess Mary

In Australia a painting was created. It shows Mary. her husband and children in their underwear. What is more, the painter James Brennan (railway worker) won $5,000. In my opinion this painting is insulting! What do you think about the satirical painting?

Near-naked Princess Mary portrait wins Bald Archy - 2008 Year in Review - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

jcbcode99 01-06-2009 12:44 AM

I'm not particularly impressed with it.

ashelen 01-06-2009 01:01 AM

how the royal family allow something like that, it is an insult, so low class, so terrible, discusting!

Leslie2006 01-06-2009 01:14 AM

Wow. This is a little bit of a shocker! I don't think the Royal Family, particularly Federick and Mary, will be too impressed. That artist has alot of guts to create something like that, especially of a family who are so well-liked and respected by their country.

aplusw2000 01-06-2009 01:28 AM

am i the only one who finds that painting hilarious ?!!:rofl:

T4phage 01-06-2009 01:36 AM

I don't find this funny at all. I honestly DO NOT see the humour in it...

Madame Royale 01-06-2009 01:43 AM

This painting is almost a year old, and the discussion with it...lol.

Quote:

am i the only one who finds that painting hilarious ?!!:rofl:
Me too. It's harmless.

T4phage 01-06-2009 01:43 AM

Yes, I know. I just was away for...a long time lol.

randomlyKeira 01-06-2009 01:44 AM

No matter how old the painting and discussion of it may be, I still find it insulting. Isn't there supposed to be a level of respect towards another human being, if not towards the royal family? I'm generally a very humorous person, but there seems like a very thick line was crossed with this portrait, if you can call it that. It looks like it belongs more in the comics than on a wall, or (gasp and true horror) in a palace! :nonono::ohmy::eek:

T4phage 01-06-2009 01:45 AM

My point exactly. I find nothing in this photo even NEAR funny.

It's disgusting.

Madame Royale 01-06-2009 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randomlyKeira (Post 876103)
No matter how old the painting and discussion of it may be, I still find it insulting. Isn't there supposed to be a level of respect towards another human being, if not towards the royal family? I'm generally a very humorous person, but there seems like a very thick line was crossed with this portrait, if you can call it that. It looks like it belongs more in the comics than on a wall, or (gasp and true horror) in a palace! :nonono::ohmy::eek:

Oh please!...lol...It wasn't painted with intent to hang in a Palace. It was a private commission painted with a humour that believe it or not, many Australian's would find exactly just that...humerous. Why? Because it's making light of a certain social demographic that, from outside the 'fish bowl' that is their world, is the universal parallel of their lives. It further suggests that besides all the pomp and ceremony, that they are people who themselves wear underwear, breastfeed and 'have a scratch' and a drink or two (gasp and horror...who'd have thought they're human..haha.).

It's a harmless painting, that happened to win a prize for it's satirical intent.

T4phage 01-06-2009 02:06 AM

I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone that does find this funny, but I just don't see the humour in it.

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian? lol

Madame Royale 01-06-2009 02:09 AM

Yep, that must be it...;):biggrin:...j/k

T4phage 01-06-2009 02:12 AM

Lol. Maybe it is :P

It's all good though, you Aussies do have a great sense of humour. All my Aussie friends find this portrait funny, and all my Canadian friends don't get the humour in it. Lol.

aplusw2000 01-06-2009 02:19 AM

actually i'm canadian and found it hilarious......maybe thats why i am heading to australia to live in a few wks, maybe my humour fits in better with that of the aussies =)

i really dont see what the big deal is with this painting:ermm:

if u cant laugh at yourself, then life is pretty boring..

T4phage 01-06-2009 02:23 AM

I've been to Australia (have family there) and I find they do have a slightly better humour than us Canadians, but meh :P

randomlyKeira 01-06-2009 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 876108)
Oh please!...lol...It wasn't painted with intent to hang in a Palace. It was a private commission painted with a humour that believe it or not, many Australian's would find exactly just that...humerous. Why? Because it's making light of a certain social demographic that, from outside the 'fish bowl' that is their world, is the universal parallel of their lives. It further suggests that besides all the pomp and ceremony, that they are people who themselves wear underwear, breastfeed and 'have a scratch' and a drink or two (gasp and horror...who'd have thought they're human..haha.).

It's a harmless painting, that happened to win a prize for it's satirical intent.

Trust me, I was VERY sarcastic about it hanging in a palace. But if anyone were to do it, wouldn't it be Queen Margrethe? :rofl:

Anyways, I guess there's a definite nationality thing going on here, and as an English/American, I can say that I'm very loose lipped and outspoken, often vulgar, but I still have respect for royals. I guess it isn't the things that they are doing and what the painting is, rather than that it disrespects Mary and Fredrick, who will one day be King and Queen of Denmark. What would happen if Christian and Isabella were to see this a few years from now?

Would it be so funny to some people if it were QE@ and Philip? Or Charles and Camilla?

If it were me in the painting, I would find it hilarious, if it were Jennifer Aniston or Amy Winehouse, or Jade Goody, etc. But not people that should be getting a certain amount of respect because of their rank. Crown Prince and Crown Princess mean something, doesn't it?

That is all I have to say about it, and I think I may even go laugh at this painting now. lol. :flowers:

Iluvbertie 01-06-2009 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randomlyKeira (Post 876122)
Trust me, I was VERY sarcastic about it hanging in a palace. But if anyone were to do it, wouldn't it be Queen Margrethe? :rofl:

Anyways, I guess there's a definite nationality thing going on here, and as an English/American, I can say that I'm very loose lipped and outspoken, often vulgar, but I still have respect for royals. I guess it isn't the things that they are doing and what the painting is, rather than that it disrespects Mary and Fredrick, who will one day be King and Queen of Denmark. What would happen if Christian and Isabella were to see this a few years from now?

Would it be so funny to some people if it were QE@ and Philip? Or Charles and Camilla?

If it were me in the painting, I would find it hilarious, if it were Jennifer Aniston or Amy Winehouse, or Jade Goody, etc. But not people that should be getting a certain amount of respect because of their rank. Crown Prince and Crown Princess mean something, doesn't it?

That is all I have to say about it, and I think I may even go laugh at this painting now. lol. :flowers:

Actually in 1995 there was a sculpture of a nude QEII and Philip in Canberra and many Australians found that extremely funny as well. It was in a popular tourist part of the city.

Here is a link to a photo of the sculpture.

A Controversial Sculpture

marmi 01-06-2009 03:49 AM

The conversation from when the painting first came to light was along almost exactly the same lines as today's.
Different parts of the word have different senses of humour, none are better or worse than the other, just different, and this would certainly hold a lot of laughter appeal in Aussie.

I've had a quick look through for another thread about the painting, and can't find it, so the discussion must have taken place in the general news thread (thats my guess anyway).

carlota 01-06-2009 03:54 AM

it's quite an old picture and i don't think it should cause anger or disgust among the DRF's followers. it's obviously meant to cause no harm and as a "funny" intent rather than as an unrespectful one. the DRF did not release any statements expressing their discomfort with it during the time it appeared, so i guess they just took it as what it is: a simple painting.