The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Chit Chat (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f235/)
-   -   Reactions To Your Fascination With Royalty (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f235/reactions-to-your-fascination-with-royalty-19438.html)

auntie 12-12-2005 01:55 PM

What does your family think?
 
What do your family think about your strong interest in Royal families? Please share, as mine think I am nutty, as do my couleages, they couldn't understand what was so exciting about Camilla wearing a Durbar Tiara? Go explain...Seriously, how do you cope with questions, even jeering and in general?

Maxie 12-12-2005 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie
What do your family think about your strong interest in Royal families? Please share, as mine think I am nutty, as do my couleages, they couldn't understand what was so exciting about Camilla wearing a Durbar Tiara? Go explain...Seriously, how do you cope with questions, even jeering and in general?

My family totally understands. Well, they're not on the board, but they love the royals as much as I do, at least my mother and sister do love to chat about royals too (I think we've got that from my late grandmother who always has been a great royal lover).
Next to them, one of my best friends is a real watcher of the Dutch Royal Family (she and I are especially trained to talk about Beatrix, Máxima and Mabel, which are in our opinion the most fascinating Dutch royals of the moment). So I don't have to hide it or something. A couple of years ago I even got an egagement flag from Máxima and W-A from my friends on my birthday. They gave it as a joke, but they we're really surprised to find out I actually liked it... so all know me as a royalty fan by now, but they also know that I totally understand it if others don't like royalty at all... :)

purple_platinum 12-12-2005 02:09 PM

same here... they think i'm going too obsessed.. but, i'm not. i just need some hobby, and well, royals are... haha...

cope with questions? from who? i never let anyone know (hahaa... my secret..), only my family know & they've accepted it.

mirrjam 12-12-2005 02:10 PM

that is a funny thread. you better read first the thread:
hidden passions.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...tml#post342808

you do that auntie?!
there I have shared all my frustration about this subject.....;)

royaltywatcher 12-12-2005 02:20 PM

They give me that tolerant "get a life" look maybe with a little bit of a smirk. I generally don't talk about my interest, since my family thinks it's strange.

auntie 12-12-2005 02:21 PM

Thanks everyone for the support, keep e'm coming in!:D

pollyemma 12-12-2005 02:33 PM

I'm lucky to have family who is also into royalty so I can chat with them.

they're not as fanatic as me and I'm not sure if they think I go a little too far. but they do appreciate having a "living encyclopdia" at hand whenever they have questions.

I have given up even trying to talk to my american friends and colleagues about royalty.

I remember tellng a friend who I thought had a feel for history and tradition that I was very excited about Willem Alexander and Maxima's wedding later that week. her reply, "why are you interested in 2 rich people getting married?"

another standard response when royalty comes up is "ah, you want to marry prince william!"

so, anyway, in general i dont talk about it ever except with a few select people who I know will "get it."

Maxie 12-12-2005 02:44 PM

Reading all of your comments, I think it is easier when you live in country which really has a royal family, like the Netherlands. Then it's more common to talk about it and easier to meet people who like royals too. In the Netherlands there is always some 'feel' about the royal house. It's not that everybody loves them, but when they have a reason to celebrate something royal (like a wedding or Koniginnedag) the whole country is going mad. I think there is more understanding for us royal lovers in such a 'royal minded' country. Next to that everybody loves to joke about the royals too. Most of the time not in a unpleasant way, by the way. People keep bringing things up, like the typical Beatrix hair-do, the awful bows on Mabel's wedding dress, Máxima's great quotation 'Dat was een beetje dom' (That was not that smart) about some stupid comment W-A made one day about the Videla regime.
Whenever I talk to people who are not that into royals I always add a little joke like that to what I have to say. While doing this, I can venture my stories about the royal houses and they have a good laugh. And so are both parties happy... ;)

ladybelline 12-12-2005 02:55 PM

My family knows about my interest in Royalty. Sometimes they make fun of me, very kindly of course...:) Excepted my grandmother! She has always been interested in European Royals, so I often chat with her about it. For example (she is 84), she remembered some details about a visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to France with their daughters Elizabeth and Margaret Rose, just years before WWII. The little Princesses were given big dolls as gifts during their visit, and she remembered being a bit jealous then!:D

My mother and father are interested in Royalty when there are some big events on TV: weddings, enthronements, etc. My Mum was taken aback at the Danish Royal wedding in 2004, because I could name her nearly every Royal on screen!!

Ethel 12-12-2005 03:24 PM

This is a funny thread!!! My husband used to make fun of me at first, he gave me this "you have way too much free time" look... But now, as I have told him some interesting facts that I've learned about royalty and his mom shares this interest with me...his making fun has become lighter. He also knows that I read a lot about the Danish Royal Family because I'd love to visit Denmark, which we'll probably do next year.

mirrjam 12-12-2005 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxie
Reading all of your comments, I think it is easier when you live in country which really has a royal family, like the Netherlands. Then it's more common to talk about it and easier to meet people who like royals too. In the Netherlands there is always some 'feel' about the royal house. It's not that everybody loves them, but when they have a reason to celebrate something royal (like a wedding or Koniginnedag) the whole country is going mad. I think there is more understanding for us royal lovers in such a 'royal minded' country. Next to that everybody loves to joke about the royals too. Most of the time not in a unpleasant way, by the way. People keep bringing things up, like the typical Beatrix hair-do, the awful bows on Mabel's wedding dress, Máxima's great quotation 'Dat was een beetje dom' (That was not that smart) about some stupid comment W-A made one day about the Videla regime.
Whenever I talk to people who are not that into royals I always add a little joke like that to what I have to say. While doing this, I can venture my stories about the royal houses and they have a good laugh. And so are both parties happy... ;)

well,
you are dutch are'nt you? I am too.
but I don't know any body who likes royals, like I do, not one of my friends, not my family, not even my Grandmother. and I always thougt it was a thing for desperate old ladies.. sorry, I changed my thougth about that; that is obvious:D
I feel very lonely, being a royalty lover. But I sometimes get my boyfriend so far; that he also watches the pictures, for example those of amalia in argentina. and then he is like: "well, that is really cute..." and then he is seeing a little bit ( :cool: ) why it is my passion.... but further than this, it isnt gonna get. although my little sister, she is 16, sometimes she likes to see a little royals, but definitely not in the way I do. :p
so I think it is more common to love royals in a 'royal land' like holland, but then it is a strange thing to love... but when I am here, I absolutely don't feel strange, you are all my family..!!! hahaha:D :)

Margrethe II 12-12-2005 03:30 PM

Good topic auntie,

My family recognise that this has been a huge interest of mine since I was little, but, they cant understand or see why.lol. What does one expect when one is the only Monarchist living in a house of Republicans?

Like many, I'm sometimes the centre of lame jokes but it doesn't bother me. I think I know who they shall be calling with their phone a friend when on who wants to be a millionaire if they're are faced with a royal question, and then lets see how eager they are for my knowledge.lol.

"MII"

Maxie 12-12-2005 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirrjam
well,
you are dutch are'nt you? I am too.
but I don't know any body who likes royals, like I do, not one of my friends, not my family, not even my Grandmother. and I always thougt it was a thing for desperate old ladies.. sorry, I changed my thougth about that; that is obvious:D
I feel very lonely, being a royalty lover. But I sometimes get my boyfriend so far; that he also watches the pictures, for example those of amalia in argentina. and then he is like: "well, that is really cute..." and then he is seeing a little bit ( :cool: ) why it is my passion.... but further than this, it isnt gonna get. although my little sister, she is 16, sometimes she likes to see a little royals, but definitely not in the way I do. :p
so I think it is more common to love royals in a 'royal land' like holland, but then it is a strange thing to love... but when I am here, I absolutely don't feel strange, you are all my family..!!! hahaha:D :)

Yes, I'm Dutch too! Hoi! :D
I guess I'm just lucky with my family and friends. Though not all of them understand it, they all respect it and with them I can have a good laugh about royalty too... that's important, I think. Otherwise I would get way too obsessed... :p So I think it's a good thing that so now and then I get to speak someone who says: 'Eh Maxie, I really really really don't care what Maxima was wearing on Prinsjesdag!' ;)

pollyemma 12-12-2005 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirrjam
so I think it is more common to love royals in a 'royal land' like holland, but then it is a strange thing to love... but when I am here, I absolutely don't feel strange, you are all my family..!!! hahaha:D :)

I feel that way too! and just like a normal family, we have our ups and downs with each other;)

you know, everyone has things that they are into and increasingly we're all taking our passions to the internet. that's not weird.

as interests go, one could do so much worse than royalty. it's basically impossible to follow royalty consistently and not learn a great deal about the histories and current situations of countries that have royal families. you're getting an education while looking at glittering photos of princesses in tiaras. what could be better than that!

purple_platinum 12-12-2005 03:47 PM

i agree completely, pollyemma !!!
in a way, i sort of learning new cultures, traditions, and lots of new cities & places i've never even heard before.
so, yeah, after a while, my family never bothered me again.
but, royalty is not something i can talk & talk with my friends, they just don't get it.
sometimes i tell stories & jokes to them, like when Mary pregnant for 7-8 months & she still look so thin, and my friend read that on a magazine, then i just tell.. 'well, you should see Letizia..." or when this year all the crown princess (well, almost all) got pregnant at same time.. that's kinda unique & interesting, so i tell them...

auntie 12-12-2005 04:25 PM

I just remembered when I was 7 years ols and I used my fathers huge towel to dress up as Lady Diana on her wedding day, and my sisters made fun of me!

gaggleofcrazypeople 12-12-2005 04:45 PM

My family thinks that its crazy, but then I remind them about all the things that they are obsessed about.

*SofiaM* 12-12-2005 05:16 PM

In my family it's good because my mum is also interested in royalty..But to be honest, I don't really talk about it when I'm not on here. I come on here once a day maybe to check news and the lovely photos and thats it! But I'm not embarassed to admit I'm interested in royalty..No Way! :D

Piewi 12-12-2005 07:13 PM

They think i´m crazy and that royalty is such a silly hobbie. They always joke about it :mad: I don´t know anybody who likes royalty - Except for you- so it isn´t easy. My mum is the only one who knows something about royalty, well she told me lots of thing about the grimaldis while we were watching the Spenish royal wedding, but she doesn´t mind about it now. Only silly things like "This is a nice dress".
Anyway i don´t care what they say:p in the end it´s my life:cool:

Eliza 12-12-2005 08:06 PM

My mom started me on royalty when she bought me a book on Charles and Diana's wedding...that got me hook on royalty. She has since then felt that it was a big mistake on her part as I tend to spend lots of money on royalty magazines!!! My husband is more understanding of my interest in royalty and before my late mother in law passed away - we shared a common interest in all things royalty, so i'm quite lucky!!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises