The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f183/)
-   -   Maria Teresa's Citizenship (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f183/maria-teresas-citizenship-19154.html)

bad_barbarella 08-30-2004 09:03 PM

Maria Teresa's Citizenship

i was reading in luxembourg to get citizenship you have to live there for 10 years... did she have citizenship before she married henri?

carlota 08-31-2004 04:39 AM

i think so... it would be the same that happened with mary in denmark.

Isabel 08-31-2004 10:12 AM

So, something was passed especially before the proper authorities to grant Maria Teresa a quick citizenship?

carlota 08-31-2004 12:54 PM

well, i don't think it was like that. when you marry a foreigner, in most of the countries, the person gains the citizenship of the one who is from the country where the couple is living.

gaggleofcrazypeople 08-31-2004 08:08 PM

That would make sense. Besides how could she have been the Hereditary GDess in Luxembourg but not even a citizen of that country?

Isabel 09-02-2004 11:03 AM

I certainly wouldn't understand how she could be Hereditary Princess without citizenship. It makes sense that after the marriage, she would gain citizenship, however wasn't something passed through Parliament before Mary of Denmark's engagement in which she became a citizen before her marriage? I asked if that was the case with Henri and Maria Teresa because their is an engagement period and wondered.

Is is true that some of the Princesses like Maxima still hold citizenship in their native countries? I remember reading that Maxima had dual citizenship, but don't know if it was really true or still the case. Sorry for being OT.

carlota 09-02-2004 11:14 AM

yes, maxima has a dual citizenship. the same, i suppose, as mary donaldson, and maria teresa. gaining a citizenship doesn't mean loosing the other one. they are citizens of argentina, australia and cuba, although they don't reside there, just the same as other people.

Alisa 09-02-2004 12:34 PM

Actually the Crown Princess Mary does not have dual citzenship.:)

carlota 09-02-2004 07:07 PM

doesn't she? so she now is only a danish citizen?

gaggleofcrazypeople 09-02-2004 07:08 PM

But would MT still have duel citizenship? She has been living in Luxembourg for over 20 years.

bad_barbarella 09-03-2004 05:54 AM

i heard that any member of the royal family has to get the approval of the grand duke and the parliment to approve an engagement for marrage... is this true?

gaggleofcrazypeople 09-03-2004 07:10 PM

I'm pretty sure it is.

bad_barbarella 09-06-2004 05:16 AM

that would be bad if they got a no and couldnt marry who they loved

gaggleofcrazypeople 09-06-2004 06:14 PM

Henri and MT seem so open and loving that I don't think that would happen.

Meraude 10-21-2012 12:24 PM

Maria Teresa became a Luxembourg citizen when she married Henri in 1981.

While this was possible in the past, for example current Grand Duchess Maria Teresa was also granted citizenship when she married then Crown Prince Henri, this law was abolished in the 2008 reform. From wort.lu, Wort.lu - Stéphanie Luxembourg nationality law stirs debate on naturalisation

It was mentioned that Maria Teresa have or have had Cuban citizenship before her marriage, I wonder if that is true? She was born Cuban and had Cuban citizenship at birth, but she and her family left Cuba in 1957 after the revolution there, and I wonder what happened to those citizens that left Cuba then, did the new government revoke the citizenship of those who left Cuba or not.

I know that Cuban refugees to the U.S. could get an American citizenship in 1966 through the Cuban Refugee Adjustment Act, so it's possible that Maria Teresa and her family became American citizens then.

ahtikavalentine 10-21-2012 07:21 PM

I've heard that you can not renounce to your country of birth nationality.

nascarlucy 10-21-2012 07:48 PM

I guess you could renounce you're country of birth nationality but whether or not a government would act on revoking you're citizenship is another matter.

AdmirerUS 10-21-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahtikavalentine (Post 1475213)
I've heard that you can not renounce to your country of birth nationality.

You will always "be born" where you were born. However, some nation's require you renounce your citizenship if you want to become a citizen of the new state. Other states are more relaxed about it and some have absolute bonhomie about it and allow dual citizenship with certain countries. Its all about the laws in the country from which you seek citizenship.

ahtikavalentine 10-21-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmirerUS (Post 1475223)
You will always "be born" where you were born. However, some nation's require you renounce your citizenship if you want to become a citizen of the new state. Other states are more relaxed about it and some have absolute bonhomie about it and allow dual citizenship with certain countries. Its all about the laws in the country from which you seek citizenship.

Thank you :flowers::flowers: I had no idea about i.

NGalitzine 10-21-2012 08:20 PM

In Maxima's case Argentina does not allow you to renounce your Argentinian citizenship. It was a bit of a sore point when she married and acquired Dutch citizenship.