The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Danish Royal Residences (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f231/)
-   -   Danish Residences General Discussion (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f231/danish-residences-general-discussion-19015.html)

Alexandra 06-27-2003 02:07 PM

Danish Residences General Discussion

Edit JessRulz:

This thread can be used as a general discussion thread for the Danish residences which do not have a specific thread.

A list of the residences with specific threads can be found here.
----

I have visited Christiansborg Palace tree or four times and it is a very beautiful place, too. :lucky:

paulette 09-24-2003 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Frederiksborg Castle and Castle Gardens

Frederiksborg Castle is situated in the centre of Hillerød on three islets in the Castle Lake surrounded by Frederiksborg Castle Gardens. The castle was built in the Dutch Renaissance style at the beginning of the 17th century by Christian IV, then rebuilt about 250 years later by another great Dane, the brewer J.C. Jacobsen, following its destruction by fire. The Castle Chapel survived when the rest of the castle burnt down in 1859 and today it stands as in Christian IV's time.

Frederiksborg Castle Gardens consist of a romantic landscaped garden where one can enjoy the view of Frederik II's small Bath House (Badstueslottet), which is occasionally used by the Royal Family for hunt lunches, and a baroque garden, recreated in 1996 according to studies of J.C. Krieger's gardens from 1725. The garden is especially noteworthy for its four royal monograms executed in boxwood, the historical flowers and the festive cascades.

paulette 09-24-2003 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gråsten Palace and Palace Gardens are beautifully located surrounded by the Southern Jutland countryside's forests and lakes. The palace dates from 1759 and is the successor to several palaces situated on the site since the 16th century.

For many years it was at the disposal of King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid. Queen Ingrid used the palace as a summer residence every year up to her death in November 2000, and the palace is still used as a summer residence by the Royal Family today.

The lavishly decorated chapel is the only part of the palace, which is open to the public, although the palace can be enjoyed from outside on a walk through the palace gardens – provided the Royal Family is not in residence.

Gråsten Palace Gardens are Anglo-inspired Romantic landscape gardens, which display a lavish profusion of flowers in the summer season. Unlike the numerous Royal gardens, which are still tended as they were in days gone by, Gråsten is a living example of modern Royal landscape gardening. Queen Ingrid, who had a great interest in gardening, created the gardens as we know them today. For most of the year, when the Royal Family is not using the palace, a large part of the gardens is open to the public.

paulette 09-24-2003 12:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
1. Graasten Palace

2. Graasten Palace

hrhcp 10-06-2003 05:12 PM

Compliments of the "new" english webpage of the Royal Court,
I found this link:

http://www.ses.dk/b2000c

(link to the english side of the Royal Court is:
http://kongehuset.dk/english/ )

paulette 10-08-2003 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Aalborghus Castle

Aalborghus Castle at the Limfjord was built by Christian III from 1539 to ca 1555 as a fortification, but it soon proved inappropriate for this purpose. Instead, it became the seat of the king's provincial governors in Northern Jutland and, after the introduction of absolutism, of the regional prefects, a function which the castle retains today, as it is used by the State County of Northern Jutland.

Today, only the east wing remains of the original castle. The present north wing facing the port was built by Christian IV in the 1630s, and the freestanding building facing south is from 1808-09.

There is no public access to the buildings, but it is possible to walk around the courtyard and the surrounding area where the original ramparts are visible. The casemates and the dungeon can also be visited in the summer season.

paulette 10-08-2003 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bernstorff Palace

Bernstorff Palace dating from 1765 is one of the earliest Neo-classical buildings in Denmark. With its characteristic copper dome, the castle is beautifully situated at the highest point of Bernstorff Palace Gardens in Gentofte. It is named after its first owner, foreign minister J.H.E. Bernstorff, and has been used for long periods as a royal residence.

Today, Bernstorff Palace is home to the Danish Emergency Management Agency Academy. The palace is closed to the public, but can be viewed at close quarters from outside.

Bernstorff Palace Gardens (or Bernstorff Park) are large, wooded gardens laid out in the late 1760s in the Anglo-inspired Romantic style – a style of gardening which had just reached Denmark at that time. With their expansive lawns, and oak and beech woods, the gardens are ideally suited to taking a healthy walk. The superior, more luxurious area of the gardens features a rose garden, an orchard, greenhouses and a teahouse.

The yellow, timber house – the Swedish Villa – was purchased by Christian IX's Queen, Louise, at the famous Agriculture and Art Exhibition in 1888. The Villa is now used for art exhibitions and as a café.

paulette 10-08-2003 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Charlottenlund Palace and Palace Gardens

Charlottenlund Palace was a royal residence for many years. Through some 200 years, ca 1730-1930, the successive royal residents left their imprint on the palace. Originally it was designed as a baroque castle, but was later converted into the French Renaissance palace we see today. The palace is used by the Danish Institute for Fisheries Research, although the Great Hall is occasionally open to the public for classical concerts.

In the 1880s Charlottenlund Palace Gardens were transformed from the Baroque to the Romantic style. The Anglo-inspired gardens are home to a multitude of small, stylish attractions such as the old ice-house with polar bears carved above its entrance, and the idyllic, yellow, half-timbered house with thatch, which has been used as a wash house and as lodgings for the Royal Life Guards.

Danmarks Akvarium is located on the outskirts of the gardens

paulette 10-08-2003 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Koldinghus Castle

Koldinghus was founded at the end of the 13th century and developed over the centuries, during which the castle led a changing life and served various functions as fortress, royal residence, ruin, museum and venue for countless negotiations.

Koldinghus acquired its characteristic profile in 1600 when Christian IV added an extra storey to the west wing and built the Giant’s Tower. The castle burnt down in 1808 during the quartering of the Spanish auxiliaries, and lay in ruins for many years. Over a period of about 100 years, the ruin was gradually covered over and rebuilt until its final full restoration in 1991.

Koldinghus is used by Kolding Municipality to house the Museum at Koldinghus and for other cultural activities.

The ramparts surrounding the castle offer a fabulous view over the town and the castle lake.

paulette 10-08-2003 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kronborg Castle

Kronborg Castle in Elsinore, at the seaward approach to The Sound Øresund, is one of northern Europe's most important Renaissance castles. Known all over the world from Shakespeare's Hamlet, it is also the most famous castle in Denmark and is visited each year by about 200,000 Danes and tourists.

Frederik II's Kronborg is both an elegant Renaissance castle and a monumental military fortress surrounded by major fortifications with bastions and ravelins. Some of the historical rooms house collections of Renaissance and Baroque interiors, and among the most important attractions are the 62-metre long ballroom, the wonderfully preserved chapel and the statue of "Holger the Dane".

During the period 1998-2010, Kronborg Castle is undergoing extensive development to turn it into a modern exhibition centre and visitor attraction. The restoration of the buildings and fortress areas go hand-in-hand with the development of the historical presentation of the castle to the public.

paulette 10-08-2003 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Helsingor Castle

paulette 10-08-2003 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nyborg Castle

The present Nyborg Castle's history dates back to around 1200. The dense, low tower and the basement of the castle building are the remains of the original fortress, which was surrounded by a 1.5-metre thick ring wall with semicircular corners.

Due to its central location, the fortress became the site of the so-called Danehof assembly meetings of the nation’s most powerful men for some 200 years until Erik of Pomerania made Copenhagen the capital.

The fortress was enlarged through the centuries, and became more of a castle under Christian III in the mid-16th century. During the Dano-Swedish wars of 1658-59, the castle suffered such serious damage that it lost its status as a royal residence and began to decline. This was not halted until the 1900s, when the ruins were restored. Since the 1920s, the castle has served as a museum. The public can see old furniture and models of the castle, as well as an exhibition of Nyborg as a garrison town in the years 1670-1913.

paulette 10-08-2003 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rosenborg Castle and Castle Gardens

Rosenborg Castle was originally built by Christian IV as a country summerhouse, but up to 1624 it was developed into the Dutch Renaissance castle we know today. The castle houses the Royal Danish Collections of interiors, portraits and handicrafts from Christian IV to Frederik VII. After many years at Christiansborg, Christian V's tapestries were returned to Rosenborg in 1999, where they can now be viewed by the public, while the Treasury houses the well-guarded Crown Jewels.

Rosenborg Castle Gardens (commonly referred to as the King's Gardens) are the country's oldest royal gardens and were established in the Renaissance style by Christian IV in the early 1600s. Today the gardens are a popular retreat in the centre of Copenhagen, and are visited by an estimated 2.5 million people per year. The gardens are home to a large herbaceous border, a rose-garden and a multitude of different-sized sculptures. In 2001 the garden acquired a new attraction, the symmetrical Renaissance garden Krumspringet, while for the amusement of children there is an artistic adventure playground which opened in 1998.

In the summer season the gardens are the setting for various musical and theatrical events, including a puppet theatre for children.

paulette 10-08-2003 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Roskilde Palace

The royal palace in Roskilde was built 1733-36 on the site of the old bishops' palace immediately east of Roskilde Cathedral. The architect was the young court builder Lauritz de Thurah. The palace was to provide a suitable stopover should the monarch be passing through, or as accommodation in connection with royal funerals (Danish monarchs are buried in the Cathedral).

The yellow-washed, four-wing baroque building was to become the headquarters of the Duke of Wellington during the English siege of Copenhagen in 1807. Later, the palace provided a venue for the so-called Assembly of the Estates of the Realm, which was a forerunner to the introduction of representative government in 1849.

Today, Roskilde Palace is home to three exhibition venues: the Museum of Contemporary Art, Roskilde Art Association in the Palace Wing and the Palace Collections. The palace's gardens and courtyard are also used for exhibitions, concerts and other cultural events.

paulette 10-08-2003 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Skanderborg Palace Mound

Skanderborg Palace Mound is a small, lovely garden surrounded by Skanderborg Chapel and its churchyard. The castle mound, with its beautiful sea-view, is the exact spot where the castle yard of the royal Skanderborg Palace once stood. The Chapel is the only remains of this castle.

The monument to Frederik VI on top of Palace Mound is from 1845. It was erected to express the gratitude of the Danish people for the king's abolition of adscription. The bust and bas-reliefs were modelled by Bertel Thorvaldsen and chiselled in marble by C. F. Holbech. The reliefs are by H. V. Bissen.

The Palace Mound was previously a baroque garden. It was planted in the 1930s as an arboretum with a collection of exotic trees in particular such as the Chinese temple tree ginkgo bilopa.

paulette 10-08-2003 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spøttrup Castle

Spøttrup Castle from around 1500 is one of the most remarkable of Danish country manors because it shows what a medieval baronial castle looked like. In their time, both Reformation gunfire and Skipper Clement's peasant army tried to penetrate these defences – but in vain. Although over the centuries the castle was subjected to modification and ravage, following extensive repairs around 1940 Spøttrup is the best example of a medieval Danish fortress.

Today the castle houses a museum showing the public how people lived, fought and worked at the castle over the years, and in the summer season there are various concerts, medieval markets and other cultural events focusing on days gone by. For schools, the museum has a special offer of teaching brought-to-life where children can try out medieval clothing and lifestyles.

The old garden of medicinal plants is divided into characteristic square and rectangular beds with medicinal plants and herbs. In the southern area of the gardens lies a beautiful rose-garden with trellises.

paulette 10-08-2003 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sønderborg Castle

Sønderborg Castle is reckoned to date back as far as 1158, when it was said to be founded by Valdemar the Great as a fortified tower. Over the centuries the castle has been enlarged and rebuilt, but in 1964-73 it was restored and returned to the Baroque form it was given by Frederik IV in the 1720s.

Under Christian III, in the mid-16th century, the castle was modified and converted into a four-wing castle. After the war of 1864, the province and the castle became German. On reunion in 1920, the Danish state acquired the castle, which came to house a museum of Southern Jutland history.

The Sønderborg Castle Museum houses local history collections from the Middle Ages to the present day, but with focus on the Schleswig wars of 1848-50 and 1864. The museum also hosts exhibitions on navigation, textiles and handicrafts and holds a small art collection with works by prominent Southern Jutland painters over the years.

The original ramparts around the castle became a visible part of the gardens in the 1970s.

paulette 11-18-2003 08:35 AM

There are a lot of castles, palaces and manors in Denmark. Some are being used by the Royal Family, some are owned by the Danish Government and the rest are owned privately.

Here are the list of some palaces, castles and manors in Denmark.

1.Zealand and Islands of Lolland, Falster and Moen

Amalienborg Slot
Bernstorff Slot
Borreby
Charlottenlund Slot
Christiansborg Slot
Corcelitze
Dragsholm Slot
Dronning Gård
Eremitagen
Frederiksberg Slot
Fredensborg Slot
Frederiksdal
Fuglsang
Gavnø Slot
Gisselfeld
Gjeddesdal
Holsteinsborg
Jægerspris Slot
Knuthenborg
Krenkerup
Kronborg Slot
Lerchenborg
Ledreborg Slot
Lindholm
Liselund
Lungholm
Nysø
Næsbyholm
Pederstrup (Rewentlowmuseet)
Rosenborg Slot
Selsø Slot
Skjoldenæsholm
Sorgenfri Slot
Søholt
Vemmetofte Kloster
Vallø Slot
Åstrup

2. Islands of Funen, Taasinge and Langeland

Egeskov Slot
Erholm
Glorup
Hagenskov
Hesselager Slot
Hindemae
Hindsgavl Slot
Hofmansgave
Holckenhavn
Hollufgård
Holstenshuus
Hvedholm
Juelsberg
Odense Slot
Skovsgård
Tranekær
Valdemar Slot
Wedellsborg
Ørbæklunde
Østrupgård ved Fåborg
Østrupgård ved Otterup

3. Jutland

Aalborghus Slot
Augustenborg Slot
Baggesvogn
Bangsbo
Bregninggård
Børglum Kloster
Clasonsborg
Clausholm Slot
Dronninglund Slot
Engelsholm
Fussingø Slot
Gammel Estrup
Gram Slot
Gråsten Slot
Hald Hovedgård
Haraldskær
Herningsholm
Jensgård
Julianelyst
Koldinghus Slot
Kongstedlund
Lønborg Gård
Løvenholm
Marselisborg Slot
Meilgård
Moesgård
Møllerup
Nørre-Wosborg
Palsgård
Rosenholm
Rydhave
Schackenborg Slot
Skanderborg Slot
Spøttrup Slot
Store Restrup
Sæbygaard
Sønderskov
Visborggård
Vitskøl Kloster
Voergård Slot
Willestrup

Alexandra 11-20-2003 05:09 PM

Thank you, Paulette. it was very interesting. I have visited Christiansborg Castle three or four times and seen Amalienborg Castle many times. Once I saw some Royals getting out of a black car near one of the gates. Koldinghus Castle I have visited once, when I was living in Germany and made a trip to Danemark over weekend.

Alexandria 11-20-2003 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1. IBL - Frederiksborg Castle

hrhcp 04-19-2004 02:43 AM

These places are all nice to look at, but look at the reality ...... you couldn't live in these alone like is the style among the proliteriat.

I found this link for Copenhagen, and seeing 'surfing the web' is so much more convenient than spending the coin to fly to a flat metropolis ....

High-resolution free photos to download

a big splash in 2005

Lady Cathrine Rose 06-04-2005 04:01 PM

Does anyone know if Mary or Fred have been to the palace they received as a gift for their marriage from the Queen? Have they ever spent the night there? I forgot what the name was, but I thought it was pretty far south from Coppenhaggen. Thanks! I love this site!

H.M. Margrethe 10-08-2005 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Cathrine Rose
Does anyone know if Mary or Fred have been to the palace they received as a gift for their marriage from the Queen? Have they ever spent the night there? I forgot what the name was, but I thought it was pretty far south from Coppenhaggen. Thanks! I love this site!

Is it Gråsten carstel you are thinking about ?
If it is i don´t think that the carstel in Gråsten was a weeding gift from the Queen since she dos not owen the carstel.
The only carstel she and prince Henrik owns is Marsellisborg carstel in Aarhus
and Château de Caïx in France.

Lady Cathrine Rose 10-11-2005 07:15 PM

Oh no! I didn't write down the name of the castle that she gave as a gift! I absolutely should have since it always takes me forever when I have to go back through all of there wedding threads! But it was definetly given to them as a gift. That I distinctly remember. Thanks for the help.

Lyle 10-12-2005 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
Is it Gråsten carstel you are thinking about ?
If it is i don´t think that the carstel in Gråsten was a weeding gift from the Queen since she dos not owen the carstel.

I also remember reading that the queen "gave" Gråsten to Fred and Mary for their wedding. Even though she doesn't own the palace, I think it was said that she gave them the right to use the castle as their own, which she can do even though she doesn't privately own the castle.

I remember the Queen spent some time there this summer, but I haven't seen anything about Fred and Mary spending time there yet.

Liva 02-10-2006 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyle

I remember the Queen spent some time there this summer, but I haven't seen anything about Fred and Mary spending time there yet.

Gråsten Castle was Queen Ingrids, after her death it was passed on to Queen Margrethe.. When the time comes, it will be Frederik and Marys(although state owned, it still is considered theirs, as only they can live there). Mary and Frrderik was their last summer. There are pictures from it. It is a tradtion that the Queen and prince consort live there during the summer, and it is also a tradition that other family members join them e.g. Ex-King Konstantin and Ex-queen Anne-Marie, Joachim, Frederik and all their cousins.. It has been a tradition since late Queen Ingrid made it a tradition to get the family together every summer. Her children and granchildren. I am sure Mary and Frederik will continue this tradition when it is their turn to decide..

Australian 11-13-2006 03:57 AM

Here is an article about the old medieval Danish royal residences. It talks about the history of palace rooms and what they are now used for with the present Queen Margrethe II. Quite interesting.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...0031311C970654

Tricota 11-14-2006 01:26 PM

^^Those damn Swedes...But, then again, we were just as bad in other places...

Marengo 10-01-2007 10:22 AM

I have been looking through this thread, and I have some questions:

Grasten, is it private or state owned? Is it used at all at the moment, apart for summer holidays for the entire RF?

Rosenborg is now mosly a museum I believe. It is state owned, but does the RF ever use it?

Frederiksborg: is it state or private property and does the RF ever use it. If they don't what is happening there through the year?

The list above and the Ermitage Lodge are all the palaces that the family is using/can use at the moment or are there more?

UserDane 10-01-2007 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 673589)
I have been looking through this thread, and I have some questions:

Grasten, is it private or state owned? Is it used at all at the moment, apart for summer holidays for the entire RF?

Rosenborg is now mosly a museum I believe. It is state owned, but does the RF ever use it?

Frederiksborg: is it state or private property and does the RF ever use it. If they don't what is happening there through the year?

The list above and the Ermitage Lodge are all the palaces that the family is using/can use at the moment or are there more?

Marengo, most of these castle are administered by Slots- og ejendomsstyrelsen (the Palaces and Properties Agency). Here is a link to a map with explanations in English to a number of the palaces you ask about - Slots- og Ejendomsstyrelsen - Map of Castles and Gardens

On the royal family's own website they list the palaces they have at their disposal The Danish Monarchy - Palaces - and the royal yacht. As you can see it also lists the chateau Cayx in France.

The only other properties I can think of right now which are not on your list is the hunting lodge at Trent - which I think was a wedding present to King Frederik and Queen Ingrid. And then of course Kronborg Castle; it is a museum but queen Margrethe gave a party there on occasion of Konstantine's and Anne Marie's silver anniversary. - oh, one more. One the grounds of Frederiksborg Castle (my personal favourite....) is a tiny castle called Badstueslottet - The Bath House. I'm not sure it even has electricity; it has been used on rare occasions to house a hunting party for lunch.

norwegianne 10-01-2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Gråsten was acquired by the Danish state in 1920 - used for judicial/police business, and as a library until 1935 - when it was turned over as a summer residence to the Crown Prince and Princess (Frederik and Ingrid). It is maintained by the Palace and Property organization - unlike Marselisborg, so I would say that it is state owned.

Quote:

Margrethe use the palace for small parties and other arrangements from time to time - http://www.kristeligt-dagblad.dk/artikel/258390

Quote:

Frederiksborg Castle houses the Danish National History Museum and is open to the public. As far as I know it isn't regularly in use by the royals.

Quote:

They also use Christiansborg Palace for events such as the reception after Christian's christening.

Kronborg Castle in Helsingør is also used for various representation. Queen Ingrid used it when she threw Anne-Marie and Constantine's silver-wedding anniversary.

UserDane 10-02-2007 04:13 PM

Quote:

Marengo, if you are near Versailles between November 07 and March 08, you can see some of the silver furniture from Rosenborg http://www.chateauversailles.fr/pdf/..._Furniture.pdf. Rosenborg is undergoing extensive renovations this year (will finish around spring 08) and therefore the furniture can be lent out for the exhibition at Versailles.

mstaier 03-18-2008 07:36 AM

Royal Palaces in Denmark

Sorry if this is not the best forum to post this, but I am travelling to Copenhagen at the end of April and wondered if any posters could tell me what are the best Royal Palaces to visit. I cannot see them all but would like to see the best ones. I'm an avid reader of this forum & a royal fan. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Moderators please move this to the appropriate forum, if this is not the correct place for my post.

Stefan 03-18-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstaier (Post 743418)
Sorry if this is not the best forum to post this, but I am travelling to Copenhagen at the end of April and wondered if any posters could tell me what are the best Royal Palaces to visit. I cannot see them all but would like to see the best ones. I'm an avid reader of this forum & a royal fan. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Moderators please move this to the appropriate forum, if this is not the correct place for my post.

You should make a tour through the Royal Receptions Rooms at Christiansborg and make an Visit to Rosenborg Castle. There is an Room about every King for the Oldenburg-Dynasty and there also are the Crown jewels on Display. Then make an Visit to the Amalieborg Museum where the studies of Christian IX., Frederik VIII., Christian X. and Frederik IX. are displayed. Sometimes there guided tours through parts of Amalienborg. I was there in Summer 2005 and made a guided tour throguh Christian VII. Palais. Then you should visist Roskilde Domkirke, the burial place of the danish Kings. And Frederiksborg Slot, Kronborg Slot. You can also go to Fredensborg but is only open in July for the public but you can got in the Park (but not the one closest to the Casdtle, it is only open in July).

Madame Royale 03-18-2008 10:52 AM

I noted mstaier said the he/she couldn't see them all, sooo...

1. Amalienborg Palace

2. Christiansborg Palace

3. Rosenborg Castle

JessRulz 03-19-2008 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 743461)
I noted mstaier said the he/she couldn't see them all, sooo...

1. Amalienborg Palace

2. Christiansborg Palace

3. Rosenborg Castle

Those three would be the top of my list too MR - especially Rosenborg. Even if it is just for the crown jewels :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

mstaier 03-19-2008 07:41 PM

Danish Residences General Discussion

Thanks for the replies...this has helped me greatly and I will see the three as mentioned by JessRulz & Madam Royale
1. Amalienborg Palace

2. Christiansborg Palace

3. Rosenborg Castle

Thank you to Stefan as well for your detail. I will try and see one out of Copenhagen if I get time and my husband agrees!!!:smile:

norwegianne 03-23-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstaier (Post 744015)
Thanks for the replies...this has helped me greatly and I will see the three as mentioned by JessRulz & Madam Royale
1. Amalienborg Palace

2. Christiansborg Palace

3. Rosenborg Castle

Thank you to Stefan as well for your detail. I will try and see one out of Copenhagen if I get time and my husband agrees!!!:smile:

It really doesn't take all that long by train to Roskilde :whistling: It is a pleasant little town, the cathedral isn't all that far from the railway station, and I would say that the cathedral there really is worth a visit for someone interested in the Danish royal family/history.

It's worth to note that tickets to Rosenborg and Amalienborg Palace Museum can be bought so that one ticket covers both museums. :flowers:

Stefan 03-23-2008 05:11 PM

When i was in Copenhagen i bought the Copenhagen Card which is avalible for 1 or 3 days. There you get often free entrance in some Attractions and sometimes you the Price reduced.

Muhler 04-28-2011 05:37 AM

Other residencies and places connected to the DRF.

The hunting lodge in Trend.

Big overview. The lodge is located in the middle of a forest and yet close to a fjord:
Trend 2 copy - Kopi.jpg - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Closer view. Pretty undisturbed:
Trend, south of the town of Løgstør copy - Kopi.jpg - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

-----------------------

Gråsten Slot.
The summer meeting place for the family and where Queen Ingrid used to live.

A closer view. The whitish patch near the palace is a shallow lake:
http://www.box.net/shared/qurx5n1k3l

View of the palace and Gråsten town:
http://www.box.net/shared/c6i9mocn98

--------------------------

Frederiksborg Slot.
A beautiful castle where the coat of arms of the DRF are hanging.

The castle and the town of Frederiksborg:
http://www.box.net/shared/yljigc1k37

Closer view of the castle:
http://www.box.net/shared/xsqe43zx6r

Muhler 05-05-2011 10:33 AM

I guess we can put this under residencies.

In Billed Bladet #18, 2011 a Lars B. Nielsen ask about the bunker reserved for the Monarch in times of war.
http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige...ongehuset.aspx

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that there indeed were two such bunkers, one may still be in use.
One bunker is located in Rold Forest in Northern Jutland and it's called REGAN VEST, which stands for REGeringsANlæg = Government facility West.
The other bunker is located in Northern Zealand.

- Apart from that Jon Bloch Skipper doesn't reveal more.
However the bunker and the purpose is now de-classified. During the so-called "grey period" prior to a full scale war, the DRF and a number of the most senior government ministers, and other key figures were to be transported to these bunkers and they were to stay there during a nuclear attack, or an invasion. In case of an invasion, the plan was to evacuate them as far as it was possible.
As it was expected that at least one of these bunkers would be knocked out neither the government nor the DRF were all placed in one bunker.
It was from here that Denmark would be governed in the aftermath of a nuclear war.

The Danish system was pretty identical to the British system, with a number of regional bunkers dotted all over the country. In these bunkers would be gathered a number of military and civillian key persons and regional politicians as well as government ministers.
In case of a nuclear war these regional commands would take control and excerzise what was basically dictatorial powers over the area.
I was in the Home Guard before joining the army again and in case of an invasion we were still under command of the general staff, but as everything was expected to break down after a nuclear war, we would as such be under the command of the local regional centre.
Our jobs were to maintain order, to search for wounded and perform triage both locally and at the interrim medical facillities and also to secure the regional centre and to ensure that commands from these centres were carried out. Another more morbid task was to deal with corpses. Geological surveys had already selected which areas were best suited for mass graves.

Tricota 06-29-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1248660)
I guess we can put this under residencies.

In Billed Bladet #18, 2011 a Lars B. Nielsen ask about the bunker reserved for the Monarch in times of war.
Billed-Bladet - Blev der bygget en hemmelig atombunker til kongehuset?

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that there indeed were two such bunkers, one may still be in use.
One bunker is located in Rold Forest in Northern Jutland and it's called REGAN VEST, which stands for REGeringsANlæg = Government facility West.
The other bunker is located in Northern Zealand.

- Apart from that Jon Bloch Skipper doesn't reveal more.
However the bunker and the purpose is now de-classified. During the so-called "grey period" prior to a full scale war, the DRF and a number of the most senior government ministers, and other key figures were to be transported to these bunkers and they were to stay there during a nuclear attack, or an invasion. In case of an invasion, the plan was to evacuate them as far as it was possible.
As it was expected that at least one of these bunkers would be knocked out neither the government nor the DRF were all placed in one bunker.
It was from here that Denmark would be governed in the aftermath of a nuclear war.

The Danish system was pretty identical to the British system, with a number of regional bunkers dotted all over the country. In these bunkers would be gathered a number of military and civillian key persons and regional politicians as well as government ministers.
In case of a nuclear war these regional commands would take control and excerzise what was basically dictatorial powers over the area.
I was in the Home Guard before joining the army again and in case of an invasion we were still under command of the general staff, but as everything was expected to break down after a nuclear war, we would as such be under the command of the local regional centre.
Our jobs were to maintain order, to search for wounded and perform triage both locally and at the interrim medical facillities and also to secure the regional centre and to ensure that commands from these centres were carried out. Another more morbid task was to deal with corpses. Geological surveys had already selected which areas were best suited for mass graves.

Nice story. Thnks for sharing...

FasterB 10-20-2011 05:47 PM

The Royal Castles at Legoland

3 Attachment(s)
I know the dates at the photos says XX/XX/2010, but they are all taken in week 42 this year. I must have set the date wrong... :(

But here it goes: The royal residences at Legoland:

Schackenborg Manor:

FasterB 10-20-2011 05:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Gråsten Castle:

FasterB 10-20-2011 05:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Kronborg Castle:

The first two are taken from the boat ride and the last three on land:

FasterB 10-20-2011 05:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
And the last ones, the CP Family at Kancellihuset. I don´t know why, but I didn´t take any photos of Fredensborg Castle...

The third photo is taken by one of the gardeners at Legoland, who was taking care of the trees at the exibitions :flowers:

SLV 10-20-2011 05:55 PM

Great.
Love the tiny details of the crownprince's family!

marta19pl 10-20-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLV (Post 1328163)
Great.
Love the tiny details of the crownprince's family!

How cute :) I think that this lego-stroller was add than twins was born ;)

FasterB 10-21-2011 05:15 AM

I found some photos from an earlier visit at Legoland :)
IIRC, then these photos are form 2007

Amalienborg Palace
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1149/...bb329c455a.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1286/...c957eb7a03.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1108/...7aaec455d0.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1437/...ca257ae0b7.jpg

Amaliehaven/ The Amalie Gardens
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1279/...f9b43a20_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1410/...559922501e.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1406/...d5c236d1b3.jpg

Fredensborg Slot
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1026/...34992d2dc9.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1153/...e90a55913a.jpg

Look, Ziggy is sitting in Christians pram :lol::lol::lol:
http://altomintet.invisionzone.com/u...1157_thumb.jpg

Rhys82192 10-21-2011 05:23 AM

Nice Lego Castles! They are very detailed!

Muhler 10-21-2011 01:07 PM

Thanks, FasterB :smile:

So you were nephew-sitting during the autumn holiday?

Hope you had a nice trip.

FasterB 10-21-2011 01:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1328549)
Thanks, FasterB :smile:

So you were nephew-sitting during the autumn holiday?

Hope you had a nice trip.

How could you guess that? :whistling: My parents, nephew and I went to Legoland for two days and Givskud Zoo for one day in the autumn holiday :flowers:

And btw, I met a giraffe. The following photos are taken without zoom. I just called at the giraffe and then (s)he came :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Muhler 10-21-2011 03:21 PM

Hope you said hello to Samson.
You may remember that he's an expat from Copenhagen. ;)

For foreign viewers...eeh, readers.
Samson is a gorilla. He became a household name in DK, in the 90's. - Not least after falling in love in a female reporter and masturbating while looking at her - on prime time TV.:lol:
After which, realising he couldn't get the reporter, lovely as she was, he proceeded to eat boogies out of his nose to console himself.

To this day I believe the reports from the zoo's in DK is among the best reality TV ever shown, and the participants, among them Samson, were among the most intelligent and endearing characters yet. - Whatever they did, it made a whole lot more sense than what most humans do.

You can actually find the infamous clip of Samson on YouTube.

- On another note. The Legoland view of M&F's private garden at Kancellihuset is probably the best we have. Even the swimming pool is very detailed.

FasterB 10-21-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1328605)
Hope you said hello to Samson.
You may remember that he's an expat from Copenhagen. ;)

No, unfortunately I didn´t get the chance to say hello to Samson :sad: It was raining and my nephew couldn´t care less about Samson :lol:
So we took the Safaritour in car three times instead :rofl:

Btw. talking about animals that every dane knows... Do you remember Brutalis? :whistling::rofl::whistling:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1328605)
- On another note. The Legoland view of M&F's private garden at Kancellihuset is probably the best we have. Even the swimming pool is very detailed.

I should have taken better photos of all the castles, but it was raining, hailing (kæmpe hagl) and I don´t know what both days we were in Legoland, so most of the time we stood inside or tried to a take a tour in an inside ride :smile:

Muhler 10-21-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterB (Post 1328613)
Btw. talking about animals that every dane knows... Do you remember Brutalis? :whistling::rofl::whistling:

I sure do :lol: A rhino, who was in so many ways more human than the humans he was among.
Do you remember when the elephants had a hang-over and the vet at the zoo phoned the police to see if they could help him with a breathalizer test on the elephants?
(They did manage to get a test and the elephants were drunk).
That was at same time the royal elephants from Thailand moved in.

FasterB 10-21-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1328618)
I sure do :lol: A rhino, who was in so many ways more human than the humans he was among.
Do you remember when the elephants had a hang-over and the vet at the zoo phoned the police to see if they could help him with a breathalizer test on the elephants?
(They did manage to get a test and the elephants were drunk).
That was at same time the royal elephants from Thailand moved in.

Oh yes, that was soooooo hilarious :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I wish that they would make a rerun of the series :flowers:

lyndaW 10-27-2011 12:07 PM

Such detail.........thanks for posting

Grandduchess24 11-06-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterB
I found some photos from an earlier visit at Legoland :)
IIRC, then these photos are form 2007

Amalienborg Palace

Amaliehaven/ The Amalie Gardens

Fredensborg Slot

Look, Ziggy is sitting in Christians pram :lol::lol::lol:

WOW They look like the mini versions of the actual royal residence and it's hard to believe it's made of Lego :0

chelly 11-07-2011 01:08 PM

Why do I get the feeling that Denmark TV is better then American tv. I will have to look those up on youtube. Ok I have to ask why and how did the elephants get drunk.

Ok to stay on topic, those castles look very life like. Muhler or FasterB would you know how long it took the artists/builders to do that? If I ever get to Denmark that would have to be one of the places I go to.

Muhler 11-07-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelly (Post 1334892)
Why do I get the feeling that Denmark TV is better then American tv. I will have to look those up on youtube. Ok I have to ask why and how did the elephants get drunk.

Ok to stay on topic, those castles look very life like. Muhler or FasterB would you know how long it took the artists/builders to do that? If I ever get to Denmark that would have to be one of the places I go to.

I don't know how long it took the builders (yes, they are really artists in their fireld, as you say) to plan and build the Lego-Kancellihus.
What they do is that they study the plans of the building, then thoroughly photograph it from every possible angle.
From that they start to figure out what kind of standard bricks they can use and to draw, mold and cast special bricks.
Then it's "only" a matter of putting the whole thing together with glue and place it in Legoland. - Viola!

The story with the elephants was hillarious.
It all started with the elephants acting a bit weird, when they were being hosed. One of them kicked his/her "play-bucket" around. The elephant always did that, but a good deal more enthusiastic this time! :dizzy:
Strange! As the other elephants were also extraordinarily merry the keepers wondered if their fodder, containing fruits had fermented. That couldn't be established right away, (the elephants had eathen the evidence) so the vet was called and the elephants looked decidedly intoxicated, but how to know for certain?
Got it! Call the police and ask them if they know how to perform an alcohol test on elephants.
I don't know how that conversation was but it must have been interesting!
Something akin to this perhaps
- The police.
- The is the vet from Copenhagen Zoo. I believe our elephants are intoxicated and I wonder if you can help us perform a breathalizer test?
(Silence).
- Hello? We would like to establish whether our elephants are drunk. - Hello? No, they are grey, not pink...
The vet in some way actually managed to persuade the police to borrow an alcometer and now came the tricky part. How to persuade an elephant to blow into the alcometer? An elephant with lungs as big as a cathedral, mind you.
They got hold of a big plastic bag for garbarge and the elephants breathed into that bag, after which they squeezed the bag, holding the alcometer close to the open hole.
The test was inconclusive however.
But the next day one of the elephants was filmed, litterally leaning against the wall, with the trunk hanging down limp. - And you almost see a speech-bobble over it's head saying: "Oh, my head, oh, my trunk"! :sick::headache:

I didn't leave anything out, did I FasterB?

FasterB 11-07-2011 06:58 PM

No, you didn´t leave anything out, Muhler :flowers:
You described it in a perfect way :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Muhler 11-24-2011 04:35 PM

In Billed Bladet #47, 2011 a Kirsten Pedersen-Hansen ask whether M&F now only live at Amalienborg or do they still use Kancellihuset near Fredensborg? And if so, isn't that excessive?

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that it has always been the plan that M&F would use Kancellihuset during the summer and Amalienborg during winter and as far as he is aware that is still the case.
He adds that he doesn't find it excessive to have two homes, even if they are at present using only one, as they have been busy establishing themselves at Amalienborg and that they have two new children to deal with. Children who need stability in their everyday life rather than being shutteled from home to home all the time.
(Jon Bloch Skipper is here presumably also referring to the notion of M&F using Kancellihuset, not only as a summer home, which may become more difficult as M&F take on more responsibillities, but also as a weekend home and a summer cottage).

In context to the post about bunkers above, I can add that Tønder municipality a short while ago put a bunker up for sale. A bunker placed right next to Schackenborg. That bunker was supposed to be the municipal commando centre in the aftermath of a nuclear war.

Grandduchess24 01-16-2012 07:59 PM

I just wish I could visit and see them up close .

NGalitzine 05-13-2012 06:17 PM

What ever happened to the so called Yellow Palace that the future Queen Alexandra of Great Britain and the future Empress Marie of Russia grew up in. Did it continue on as a royal residence? Who were the last royal residents to occupy it? Did it continue on at the disposal of the monarch or has it now become an office building or government guest house?

Archduchess Zelia 05-13-2012 06:28 PM

The Yellow Palace or 'Det Gule Palæ' is owned by the state and is currently used for 'Hofmarskallatet', the Lord Chamberlain's office. If you have presents or letters for the Royal Family for birthdays or jubilees, you can deliver them in the Yellow Palace. The last royal occupants, I believe, were King Christian IX's youngest son, Prince Valdemar and his with Princess Marie, Prince Valdemar continued living there after his wife's death.

Muhler 11-13-2012 09:49 AM

Regan Vest = Regeringsanlæg vest = Government facillity West.

Build in 1963-69, this is where the Danish government and the DRF would seek shelter in case of war.
It is located in north-central Jutland i Rold Forest, 50-60 meters below ground.
In the grey period before a war, the top government ministers and the Regent Couple would be evacuated to this bunker.
In case of a conventional war, Zealand would be lost and it was hoped that the government and QMII would be able to fly out of Denmark via the nearby air base Karup - as East German divisions rolled up through Jutland a few days into the war.
In case a nuclear war, it was hoped, the bunker would survive (the Soviets knew perfectly well where it was) and it was hoped it would be possible to establish some sort government of the whole of what was left of Denmark afterwards.
The Danish system was very much like the British, in the sense that the country was divided into regions, each administrated from a bunker. In these bunkers were representatives of the government and parliaments, local politicians, military, rescue and civil defence leaders, as well as seleted experts. And most likely members of the DRF would also be housed in some of these bunkers.
The loal administrations would have practically totalitarian political control in the aftermath of a nuclear war.
When I was in the Home Guard in the late 1980's, one of our tasks was to protect and carry out the orders coming from the local regional bunker. (The Soviets again knew perfectly well where it was - under a school. - In fact the Communist Party had an office right across the street from our company HQ. They had even jokingly placed a camera in the window, directed at our entrance).

But back to Regan Vest. (There is an Regan East too, but more on that later).
The bunker has a area of about 5.500 square meters.
It was able to house 350 persons in 160 rooms.
It is contructed as two two-storey circles at the end of a long bend corridor 50-60 meters down in a layer of chalk.

The bunker is now long out of use and in fact it is now to be opened to the public as a Cold War museum.

However, there is another, still secret, bunker ready to be used just in case. Regan Øst = Regan East.
This bunker will house the government and the DRF in case....
War, terrorist attack, a nuclear meltdown, lethal pandemic etc. It has been put on a heightend state of alert, ready to recieve key personel twice since in was constructed.
After 9/11 when the situation worldwide was still insecure and during COP15, where it would shelter government leaders from some of the visiting countries.
In the case of a terrorist attack, where the situation is still unclear, like in Oslo or Mumbai, it is also a place where the DRF and the government would seek shelter.

One of the jobs of the adjutants is to ensure military and police assistance in evacuating and protecting members of the DRF in case something happens. (We can return to that procedure later if there is a wish for that).

That's the background. The nexy post will deal with the details of Regan Vest.

Here is a link to a 20 pic gallery of the interior of Regan Vest and a filmclip at the bottom: Se alle billederne: Her skulle Dronningen overleve en atomkrig - dr.dk/Nyheder/Kultur

Let's go through the pics:

#1 - The entrance to the bunker. Located next to a gravel road, not far from a prepared landing site for helicopters and in the middle of a forest.

#2 - Once inside, you go through a 500 meter long tunnel.

#3 - The bunker is build in a layer of chalk to ensure maximum protection and stabillity.

#4 - The main corridor is bend, to deflect the pressure wave of a nuclear blast. (My guess is several 1 or 2 megaton warheads. The missiles targeting Denmark were mostly located in Eastern Germany).

#5 - At the end of the corridor, at the entrance to the actual fascility is a 2.5 tonnes door.

#6 - QMII's apartment.

#7 - QMII's desk.

#8 - QMII's toilet - with ashtray.

#9 - The Prime Minister's desk.

#10 - The PM's bunk. The PM was NOT to share the bunk with his/her wife/husband. That was reserved for head of the department in Statsministeriet (the PM's office).

#11 - An overview of the two two-storey rings.
Top inner ring (top right) would house living quarters for the DRF, government facillities, the Ministry of Defence.
Lower inner ring (right bottom) would house the Foreign Ministry, Police medical facillities, communications, offices for ministers and a priest.
Top outer ring (top left) would house kitchen and mess, the commander's office and living quarters.
Lower outer ring (bottom left) would house sleeping quarters, depots and maintanaince personel.

#12 - A cut-away of the rings with the hollow "shock-dome" on top as seen in pic #3.

#13 - There are alltogether two kilometres of corridors in the bunker.

#14 - The mess hall.

#15 - Conference room for the State Council.

#16 - Sitting room for all.

#17 - The medical clinic.

#18 - For radio broadcasts.

#19 - Emergency exit. Up the ladders of a 60 meter shaft.

#20 - The main entrance. - Most passers-by seeing that would think: "Oh, that's just a depot in an old German bunker".

An overview of the bunker: reganvest.dk

- You will notice there is no mentioning of the possible whereabouts of any crown Prince/ss. Because he/she was not supposed to be there.

Two Google maps of first North Central Jutland: https://www.box.com/s/saj1jdrr33nafrmaujn1

And a closer look at Rold Forest, where the bunker is located: https://www.box.com/s/hjmyh8z9kgyppc9bcnsi

Regan Øst = Regeringsanlæg Øst = Regan East = Government facillity East.

Finished in 1978, this is the current place of refuge for the government and the Regent Couple.
The exact location is a secret.

It is however known that it is dug into a hill somewhere on Zealand.
The bunker is three stories high/deep and slightly smaller than the now disused Regan Vest.
From here the civillian and government administration of Denmark will take place.

Here is a picture of the entrance to Regan Øst: http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland/2012/11/13/144942.htm

There is also another secret bunker called NATO Bunker 7.
That is presumably placed somewhere in Jutland and in case of an emergency, this is where Mary and Frederik will go.
As will the deputy Prime Minister and the Defence Chief.
It is from here the military defence of Denmark will be controlled.
- In my time this bunker HQ was located near Air Base Karup in Jutland. I don't know where NATO Bunker 7 is located.

Jacknch 11-13-2012 11:27 AM

Thank you so much, Muhler, for posting this. It's fascinating to read and to see the images.
This has promted me to look into whether there is a similar set-up in the UK.
One thing I found out was that back in the 1960's, the Royal Yacht Britannia was to be used as a floating bunker by the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh and the Home Secretary in the event of a nuclear attack.
It was to sailed up to Scotland and, during the day, would hide and lurk in various remote North West sea lochs. At night, the yacht would then secretly move location and because of the mountainous region, enemy radar would be unable to locate it. The primeminister and other governmental people would be hidden in other locations in the UK seperate from the Queen, because only the Queen could appoint a prime minister and presumably, if the prime minister died in the attack, she would be able to appoint the Home Secretary.

'Floating bunker' plan to help Queen escape nuclear attack - Telegraph

Looking forward to hearing more about Regan West and East!

polyesco 11-13-2012 12:16 PM

very interesting. thank you Muhler.
pic # 2 of the Tunnel is amazing

Muhler 11-13-2012 01:06 PM

That's very odd, I don't seem to be able to edit my previous post.

I would have added this BT gallery from the bunker: Se billederne: Her er den hemmelige bunker i Rold Skov | www.bt.dk

Pic #5, because the corridors were so long, there were also cycles at disposal.

Pic #21, The water supply. - The air could also be recycled for a period if need be.

Pic #22, An analog telephone. - If I placed that in front of my children they probably wouldn't know how to use it....

Pic #31, The lounge, rest room, sitting room. Notice the "psycoligal images of trees and nature on the wall. - It actually makes it even more depressing I think!

Pic #33, QMII's toilet. Practically everybody else had to share communal toilets. - And sleep in shifts like submarine crews.

Pics #34 & 35, The Prime Minister's (Statsministerens) office.

Pic #41, Briefing room.

Pic #44, The main escape corridor.

AnnaNotherThing 11-15-2012 07:53 PM

Can someone answer a few questions for me:

What is the yearly schedule/rotation that members of the royal family use their royal residences?

And for what purpose are these particular residences used for? (for example, Trend during hunting season, Amalienborg/Copenhagen official duties, Graasten, summer extended family vacation, Dannebrog too is interesting etc)

Can someone do a full yearly schedule/map of location and the particular families that use the residences and what month they use them in?

Is this too much? ;)

Muhler 11-16-2012 04:26 AM

No, because there isn't a fixed yearly schedule. Just traditions.

Amalienborg is of course the main residence and indeed office.

The Regent Couple move to Fredensborg during the summer months and over the years they go there earlier and earlier in the year and return to Amalienborg later and later. I guess they wouldn't mind living there permanently and who can blame them?

There is a tradition for the Regent Couple for going to Marselisborg during Easter, a few weeks during the summer and at Christmas. - But it isn't a must. And they go there because they like Marselisborg and to maintain the affilliation between the DRF and the city of Aarhus.
Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid didn't go to Marseliborg that often.

Gråsten is used for the yearly family gathering during the summer, partly because this was Queen Ingrid's home for many years and partly because there are many rooms there.
Queen Ingrid after becoming a widow was very much seen as their special royal by people living in Southern Jutland. Now that role has very much been transferred to Joachim and our Marie.

Trend is a place that appears to be very loved by M&F, while QMII & PH rarely used it. But Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid did go there fairly often.
And it appears M&F go there during the summer and the autumn holiday in week 42. - And also when there are private family events like birthdays.

Then of course there is Cayz, where the Regent Couple go every summer and sometime Joachim or Frederik go there as well.

Apart from that there is also Dannebrog, which the Regent Couple is very fond of! The yearly summer cruises are usually spilt in two, lasting a week or two each. - And from time to time M&F go on a cruise as well.

So you see all the residences are in use by the various members of the DRF, depending on tradition and preference.
If I should look say ten years into the future I can well imagine that Gråsten and Marselisborg will not be used that much.
However looking 30 years into the future, there may be no less than six DRF families (including M&F's children) around and by then all the residences may be occupied much more often. (I omit Joachim's children because by then they will likely be reduced to secondary royals with their own private lives and careers).

nwinther 11-16-2012 05:25 AM

I very much agree with your latter prediction - that the houses will likely see more use as the children "fan out".

Looking even further into the future there may be some difficulties. Frederik and Mary's children - at least the three youngest - will have to be treated rather equal (Christian, being the future king will be in a special position).

Depending on the lives they will lead, Isabella and the twins may chose a life far away from the public eye, or they may go the road of Joachim, and become an appendix of the Royal House somewhere in the countryside or similar.

And then it'll be a problem where to "place" the three younger children.

This haven't been an issue since the changeing of the constitution in 1954, where it was decided that only the decendants of Christian X could inherit the throne. This effectively limited the "real" royals into a very narrow group - of whom half remained childless (IIRC).

Now the generations soon begin to push at that boundary. While there's still plenty of houses, with the children of Mary and Frederik, we will likely need six households (Mary+Frederik, Joachim+Marie, Christian, Isabella, Vincent, Josephine).

Schackenborg is reserved for Joachim+Marie.

That leaves Amalienborg (that has four palaces, three of which is habitalbe IIRC), Gråsten, Fredensborg, Marseillesborg. And I suppose Sorgenfri.

That's a "full house" (although with a reserve of apartments at Amalienborg (at least).

Depending on what we would expect of the younger princes and princesses it may be necessary to purchase - or make available - further residences for future generations.

Of course, a solution á la Alexandra could be interrim or permanent for the more peripheral royals.

AnnaNotherThing 11-17-2012 01:30 AM

Thanks for answering my questions, Muhler...really appreciate it

And I also love your speculation-riddled reply to nwinter's post too...you know I love a bit of speculation and fortunetelling...BUT another question...do you really think, say the twins or even Athena will be ALLOWED to live overseas? They still heirs to the throne, albeit 3rd (Vincent), 4th (Josephine), and 9th, (Athena) but heirs all the same, I also realise that they will move further down the ladder as Christian has children but really?...I really can't see that happening...The (unspoken) expectation is that the royal stays put and the spouse comes in...And Denmark is their home, where they grew up and what they are familiar with...Chances are with the opportunity of 'free accommodation and expenses' there is not much incentive to be self-sufficient ;)

My allocation would be this:

F&M (while Regents) Amalienborg
Christian (newly married) Fredensborg, like his parents before him
Isabella (urban chic) apartments at Amalienborg
Vincent and Josephine (sharing with big sister) bachelor/bachelorette pad, Amalienborg, aka Party HQ circa 2032

Nikolai (decides to restore and modernise) Marselislborg
Felix (as second son gets) Schackenborg
Henrik and Athena (share) Graasten, because it is near where they grew up in Schackenborg

Muhler 11-17-2012 03:44 AM

Oh, yes. No problem.
Benedikte married a German and settled in Germany. Her children don't live in DK.
Anne-Marie married a king, so no problem there either.

Interesting allocation of residencies. :smile:

However, it's very unlikely any of Joachim's children will take over and run any residence. They may very well live in a house on the estates but not in the palaces themselves.
It's an entirely different matter for Frederik's children, especially Christian. Since they are likely to have more official duties than Joachim's children (you never know, perhaps Athena turns out to have an exeptional talent for representation) it's also more likely and acceptable that they have a palace of their own.

If you look at Madeleine in Sweden, that's what I predict for some of the eight children. I.e. marrying and settleling abroad, only returning home for special occasions.

AnnaNotherThing 11-17-2012 04:20 PM

OK, cool...thanks Muhler...I actually think Fred and Joachim have put a real spanner in the works by being so (re)productive...I think Margrethe may have had the foresight to only have two kids and then those two kids only having two kids would make for easy of distribution (of assets to the 4 grandkids) but with the birthrate ballooning out to EIGHT...Maybe they are struggling to comprehend their (the 8 kids) future role and placeand where to accommodate them in the Danish royal family...

Viv 11-17-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing (Post 1483885)
My allocation would be this:
F&M (while Regents) Amalienborg
Christian (newly married) Fredensborg, like his parents before him
Isabella (urban chic) apartments at Amalienborg
Vincent and Josephine (sharing with big sister) bachelor/bachelorette pad, Amalienborg, aka Party HQ circa 2032
Nikolai (decides to restore and modernise) Marselislborg
Felix (as second son gets) Schackenborg
Henrik and Athena (share) Graasten, because it is near where they grew up in Schackenborg

That's speculation as good as it gets :flowers::flowers:!

IMO the big question is the future use of Graasten Palace! Before Schakenborg returned to DRF ownership and in the times of Queen Ingrid, Graasten was the pivotal place in the special link between the Danish Royal Family and the population of Southern Jutland, who were under German rule 1864-1920. The Southern Jutes are said to be the most loyal and royalistic of the Danes, and Graasten has been perceived as an advanced royal stronghold, if you like. Besides, it was the summer rally point for Queen Ingrid's grand children!
Queen Margrethe dediced to keep the pot on a slow burner by gathering the family for two weeks during summer. But what will happen when she is no more?
There's also the mothballed Sorgenfri Palace north of Copenhagen. The main building is empty, but one of HM's cousins (Count Christian) is living in one of the buildings on the grounds. The fact that the RF hang on to it indicates, that it could come in handy later on.

Like other Danish posters I tend to believe that the children of Prince Joachim will be relegated to minor royalty ranks, perhaps with the exception of Prince Nikolai, the first born of the lot and apparently a smart kid! And except for Christian, IMO most of them will find careers and partners abroad.

viv

Archduchess Zelia 11-17-2012 09:13 PM

I very much doubt that Graasten will go to anyone else than Frederik and Mary and their children, it's very much a "summer residence" kind of thing for the family (along with Fredensborg and Cayx), and also I think it is a place that means a lot to Frederik considering how close to Queen Ingrid he was.

Queen Margrethe also once said (in a book about Aarhus, I believe) that she hoped that Frederik would continue to use Marselisborg, but again, that doesn't mean that Joachim's family can't use it. I do think I've heard something about it only being inheritable to the heir of the throne though.

NGalitzine 11-17-2012 10:17 PM

Which of these residences are owned by the state and which are private property? If they are owned by the state how could QMII leave them to anyone?

Muhler 11-18-2012 04:44 AM

Marselisborg and Trend are private. The rest are owned by the state.

The palaces are for the DRF to use as they please, so it's basically up to the head of the family i.e. the monarch to work out how.
The reason I don't believe anyone but the children of the monarch/heir will be allowed to settle in the palaces themselves is firstly not to establish a sense of ownership for anyone but the monarch to any palace but also to avoid say Vincent being evicted some time in the future: "Sorry, Vincent, we are running low on palaces and Christian needs room for his two sets of twins. So you have to pack up and move out".
But just as importantly, because apart form the 200 years during the period of Absolutism, the Danish kings were constantly on the move, living in castles and palaces all over the realm and thereby maintaining an affilliation with the whole country instead of just living in Copenhagen and only come visiting to the other parts of the country for a few hours.
It may sound like a trivial matter but locally it means a lot!

It was seriously considered buying back Marselisborg by Aarhus municipality because the DRF was rarely there. Now the locals are very pleased and dare I say a bit proud that QMII is so fond of the place.

Stefan 11-18-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1484126)
Marselisborg and Trend are private. The rest are owned by the state.

Isn't Schacjkenborg also owned by Joachim?

Muhler 11-18-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 1484138)
Isn't Schacjkenborg also owned by Joachim?

Yes, but Schackenborg is owned by Joachim and not the DRF. - I can only imagine the manor going to one of Frederik's children in the horrible eventuality that all Joachim's children die - or more likely none of them want to run Schackenborg.

Marengo 11-19-2012 05:36 AM

This thread is meant to discuss Danish royal residences, not to predict the future countries of residence of (royal) children. Those interested in discussing clairvoyance can go to this forum:
Main Forums - David Icke's Official Forums

Flowerbed 11-19-2012 06:19 AM

I don't remember which interview I read it in, I think it was the book published for the Jubilee, but Queen Margrethe very clearly stated that she intends to pass Graasten on to Frederik & Mary while she's still alive. So the only speculation regarding that residence is when Margrethe decides it's the right time to do it.

FasterB 11-19-2012 10:04 AM

Aren´t all of you forgetting that CP Frederik is getting Gråsten? :)

Viv 11-24-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterB (Post 1484500)
Aren´t all of you forgetting that CP Frederik is getting Gråsten? :)

You mean it's earmarked for his future use?? :smile:! I plead guilty of ignorance, if that's been decided already! IIRC I read somewhere that Frederik will inherit Chateau de Cayx, which of course also serves as as a sort of back- up should Denmark ever become a republic.

It just leaves a rhetorical question: How many palaces are Fred and Mary going to take over and actually make use of, when their time comes?

viv

FasterB 11-26-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viv (Post 1486312)
You mean it's earmarked for his future use?? :smile:! I plead guilty of ignorance, if that's been decided already! IIRC I read somewhere that Frederik will inherit Chateau de Cayx, which of course also serves as as a sort of back- up should Denmark ever become a republic.

viv

Of course :flowers: It´s earmarked for his future use :flowers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viv (Post 1486312)
It just leaves a rhetorical question: How many palaces are Fred and Mary going to take over and actually make use of, when their time comes?

Well, my guess is: Amalienborg, Fredensborg (whether it´s Kancellihuset or the main castle IDK), Marselisborg, Trend, Gråsten and Caïx.

Muhler 09-28-2013 04:25 AM

Here is a 23 pic gallery from the bunker REGAN East: Se de fantastiske billeder: Her er atombunkeren i Nordsjælland | www.bt.dk

Located in a forest in Northern Zealand this was were the Regent Couple where to go in case of war or something similar... Certainly after REGAN West was closed down.

It is about to be closed down. The new REGAN bunker is located somewhere in central Jutland.
In the early 90's an artist was brought in to decorate the bunker, presumably for psycological reasons but if I was cooped up in a bunker like this the sight of these strong colors would seriously drive me nuts! - I think it's over the top. But then again, who knows? Perhaps the psycologist had a point. The mere thought is actually pretty chilling.

By the way, the text in pic #10 reads: You can also regret, that you regretted.
The text in pic #18 reads: Time does not go, it comes.

I lived in Aarhus towards the end of the Cold War and there the bunker containing the Navy Operational Command is located. And I remember agreeing with a friend that the most sensible thing to do, should the baloon go up, would be to buy a case of beer and go sit as close to the fence as possible and wait...

An Ard Ri 09-28-2013 05:36 AM

It sure is bright in that bunker with all those colours!!!

Muhler 09-28-2013 06:42 AM

Let's go through the bunkers again, because it can be a bit confusing!

During the Cold War a large bunker was build in north central Jutland. That was called REGAN West. Here the Regent Couple were to go in case of an emergency, along with other key figures. Back then Frederik was just a child, so he would follow his parents.

Later on another bunker was build in Northern Zealand, called REGAN East. It was decided that the Regent Couple should go here, while Frederik (still unmarried) should go to another bunker located somewhere in central Jutland.
At the same time REGAN West was being shut down.

Now REGAN East is being shut down as well - but the bunker in central Jutland is still operational.
It is said to be located near the village of Finderup. Ironic, because Finderup is also the seat of the most well known assassination of a Danish King in history. - The Murder in Finderup Barn in 1286, where King Erik Klipping was murdered under circumstances that to this day is still hotly debated and very fascinating. But that's a story for another day.

And as a litte curiosum: Last year a large air raid shelter located very close to Schackenborg was put up for sale.

Underneat Christiansborg there is also a shelter, where some government ministers as well as MPs were to stay, protected mainly by a company from the Army Home Guard.

polyesco 09-28-2013 04:40 PM

Those bright colors are indeed interesting, are we sure prince Henrik wasnt involved in the design or the queen? : ) lol

I do like the trees around it, so pretty

Muhler 10-16-2013 06:35 AM

There doesn't appear to be a seperate thread for the hunting lodge in Trend.
Perhaps such tread should be created? - Since M&F spend time there three or four times a year.

If so I'll add a Google view and the usual background info.

Here are four pics of the hunting lodge from different angles.
As you can see it's located in the middle of a forest.

http://www.seoghoer.dk/Nyheder/Royal...BCAE06A09.ashx

http://www.aalestrupclassic.dk/image...en-2010-47.jpg

http://multimedia.ekstrabladet.dk/ar...6__561644m.jpg

http://i2-images3.tv2net.dk/s/56/224...965322c80.jpeg

ADDED: I checked on Google maps. Quite a few of the trees to the north and west of the lodge have been cut down. - That's what happens in forestry, new ones will grow up.

polyesco 10-16-2013 12:03 PM

:previous:thank you Muhler.

I really like it. Perfect for an outdoorsy family like Frederik and Mary. and for the 4 kids plus Ziggy to run around in.

This is own by the DRF? Do others besides F&M use it often?

FasterB 10-16-2013 01:14 PM

Polyesco, I can add that King Frederik IX, Queen Ingrid and their three princesesses used Trend a lot, when the princesesses were kids :)

I haven´t heard that QMII/PH or PJ/PssM uses it.

Muhler 10-16-2013 01:30 PM

As far as I know no one but M&F are currently using Trend.

But with four children I think we can rest assured that at least some of them will also be visiting when they become adults.

Perhaps they'll spot a wolf? Not sure if wolves have been confirmed this far north, but then it will only be a matter of time. The forests and moores around Trend is perfect for a wolf.
It may surprise some but Denmark is fairly forested. At present a little more than 13% of DK is forest, with even more being semi-woodland. The political aim is that 20-25 % of DK will be forest within a few years.
That comes from an all time low in the 1600's where only 4 % of DK was forest.
A very large part of the old as well as new forest is located in north-central Jutland. So when the twins will be in their late teens, they will be able to go for some serious hikes in the forests around Trend.
The European Bison has also been reintroduced to DK, so again, M&F's children may encounter some when visiting Trend in some fifteen-twenty years from now.
The Golden Eagle is now breeding happily (and pretty enthusiastically too I might add!) after having all but vanished from the scenery here. - The Golden Eagle is in Danish called Kongeørn = king-eagle, very appropriately. And both Christian and Frederik have jokingly been referred to as a kongeørn from time to time.
When you, as a child, is used to the big city, this is about as far out into the wild as you can get here in DK.

polyesco 10-16-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterB (Post 1609518)
Polyesco, I can add that King Frederik IX, Queen Ingrid and their three princesesses used Trend a lot, when the princesesses were kids :)

I haven´t heard that QMII/PH or PJ/PssM uses it.

thank you FasterB:flowers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1609523)
As far as I know no one but M&F are currently using Trend.

But with four children I think we can rest assured that at least some of them will also be visiting when they become adults.

Perhaps they'll spot a wolf? Not sure if wolves have been confirmed this far north, but then it will only be a matter of time. The forests and moores around Trend is perfect for a wolf.
It may surprise some but Denmark is fairly forested. At present a little more than 13% of DK is forest, with even more being semi-woodland. The political aim is that 20-25 % of DK will be forest within a few years.
That comes from an all time low in the 1600's where only 4 % of DK was forest.
A very large part of the old as well as new forest is located in north-central Jutland. So when the twins will be in their late teens, they will be able to go for some serious hikes in the forests around Trend.
The European Bison has also been reintroduced to DK, so again, M&F's children may encounter some when visiting Trend in some fifteen-twenty years from now.
The Golden Eagle is now breeding happily (and pretty enthusiastically too I might add!) after having all but vanished from the scenery here. - The Golden Eagle is in Danish called Kongeørn = king-eagle, very appropriately. And both Christian and Frederik have jokingly been referred to as a kongeørn from time to time.
When you, as a child, is used to the big city, this is about as far out into the wild as you can get here in DK.

As Always Muhler, thank you for the extra dose of Danish history and facts.
I truly enjoy it. :flowers:

The place sounds wonderful. A great time off away from the city

Lady Rosie 10-16-2013 07:53 PM

Thank you Muhler. I have a question for you or any of the other Danish members:

The increase in forested areas. Are some of these for commercial forestries or is it mainly a push by the government to encourage land owners to re-forest their land for environmental purposes?

The property in Trend looks perfect for a relaxing getaway.

Muhler 10-17-2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Rosie (Post 1609627)
Thank you Muhler. I have a question for you or any of the other Danish members:

The increase in forested areas. Are some of these for commercial forestries or is it mainly a push by the government to encourage land owners to re-forest their land for environmental purposes?

The property in Trend looks perfect for a relaxing getaway.

It is mainly an environmental initiative. In order to recreate so much genuine nature as possible.
But it's also a way to utillize marginal yield farmland or patches of farmland that is being encroached near the urban centres. Such patches of lands are often too small for a new owner to continue or too awkwardly placed for an industrialised farm. So quite a few "old McDonald" farms have been bought by the municipalities, raised, trees planted and fifteen years later there is a low forest there. - Now in the middle of a suburb.

In the countryside most small farms have been raised or converted into hobbyfarms. Medium sized farms, not least those who specialise, do fairly well, although many struggle. They simply have no use for low-yield land. Better to sell it to the state or turn it into a small forest/wilderness themselves and earn some extra on hunting.
Then there are the large industrialised farms i.e. pork-factories, poultry-factories, fir-plantations and large areas of high-yield fields. And they often also include private forests for hunting and forestation.
Schackenborg and Frijsenborg are examples of two such major farms with varied lands. While I understand Birkelse Gods is more focused on being a dairy factory.

All state forests are open to the public, although some forestation takes place. But forestation it's hardly the most profitable business and once a forest has started to grow it needs very little manpower to manage. Not least because this is coastal climate and as such the forest fires we have are very limited and easily contained anyway.
But the main thing is that it benefits the Danes and tourists. It's simply nice to have so much nature and so close.
It may surprise many how much wildlife there really is in DK and how close it is to people. Deers are encountered regularly way into the suburbs of the major cities. The same thing goes for badgers and foxes. It's not something to write home about if you encounter one in your backyard. Until the wolves returned just a couple of years ago, the most dangerous predator in DK was the car, so humans are merely an irritant to many animals.

One of the main reasons I believe hunting is no issue here in DK and indeed is widely accepted, is the closeness to nature. Unless you live in downtown Copenhagen, you can exerience genuine wildlife within a very comfortable bicycle distance. The number of hunters are going up, not least among those who live in the cities - and who want to enjoy the nature. One of the more popular TV-shows is about a hunter and a cook, who (hopefully) shoot a specific animal and then they prepare and cook it basically on the spot. Kindergartens often get a visit from a hunter, who bring a deer and break it so the children can see how a deer looks like inside and they learn about about deers and what they eat at the same time. And most people know someone or several who hunt so the concept of culling is natural to most people.
I don't hunt myself, but I know quite a few who hunt (either with guns or cameras) and I have absolutely no qualms about hunting, because nature is much more merciless when it comes to dealing with overpopulation of animals.

Mrs. Muhler is into ornithology and when we go for a walk (living in a village there is quite a lot of nature around) it increase the experience and the sense of feeling good when she points out something. And she can tell how birdlife has changed significantly in her lifetime, - even out here in hillbilly-land. :tongue:

Lady Rosie 10-17-2013 06:53 AM

Many thanks Muhler for a very insightful post. Your depth of detail much appreciated.

Yes there is hunting and culling here too when animals become too numerous - including kangaroos. Kangaroo meat is available at the supermarket and I've tried it once or twice. Very tasty and enjoyable but I can't help visualising a 'roo when I eat it!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on the subject.

lyndaW 12-12-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1609435)
There doesn't appear to be a seperate thread for the hunting lodge in Trend.
Perhaps such tread should be created? - Since M&F spend time there three or four times a year.

If so I'll add a Google view and the usual background info.

Here are four pics of the hunting lodge from different angles.
As you can see it's located in the middle of a forest.

http://www.seoghoer.dk/Nyheder/Royal...BCAE06A09.ashx

http://www.aalestrupclassic.dk/image...en-2010-47.jpg

http://multimedia.ekstrabladet.dk/ar...6__561644m.jpg

http://i2-images3.tv2net.dk/s/56/224...965322c80.jpeg

ADDED: I checked on Google maps. Quite a few of the trees to the north and west of the lodge have been cut down. - That's what happens in forestry, new ones will grow up.

Thanks for the pictures on Trend. I didn't realize how large it is.

crown 02-17-2014 05:07 AM

Frederiksborg Palace

Frederiksborg Palace is built on a series of islands in a small lake in the city of Hillerød not far from the royal residence Fredensborg Palace. The earliest accounts of a palace in this place dates back to 1275. This palace was called Hillerødsholm and it was owned by the influential aristocratic family Gøye. In 1560 it became the property of the crown and Frederik II started rebuilding the palace. In 1577 Frederiks queen Sophie gave birth to their first born son who at the tender age of 11 succeeded his father as King Christian IV. He would be known for initiating the construction of several grand buildings in Denmark. This ambition almost brought the country to the brink of bankruptcy. He had the old Frederiksborg Palace raised to the ground and from 1600 – 1620 the new renaissance palace was build. During the years of construction Christian IV lived in a small palace overlooking the construction site. This palace was called Sparepenge which translates to 'Savings'. In 1720 'Savings' was demolished and a formal baroque garden was put in its place.
Frederiksborg Palace is the largest renaissance Palace in Scandinavia and it is sometimes referred to as the Versailles of the North which is probably a bit of a stretch. For all Frederiksborg's splendours it was never really popular as a permanent residence for the DRF. It was considered to be too far from the Copenhagen. After the death of Christian IV the palace was mostly used for ceremonial events. The palace church was the scene of the anointment of several royal heads

1671: Christian V and Charlotte Amalie of Hesse-Kassel
1700: Frederick IV and Louise of Mecklenburg-Güstrow
1721: Anna Sophia, consort of Frederick IV
1731: Christian VI and Sophia Magdalena of Brandenburg-Kulmbach
1747: Frederick V and Louise of Great Britain
1752: Juliana Maria of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel, consort of Frederick V
1815: Frederick VI and Marie of Hesse-Kassel
1840: Christian VIII and Caroline Amalie of Schleswig-Holstein

The palace church serves as the chapel for the 2 highest Danish orders. Recipients of the Order of Dannebrog and the Order of the Elephant have their coat of arms mounted on the walls of the church. As a knight of the Order of the Elephant the late Nelson Mandela also had his coat of arms mounted in Frederiksborg Palace Church. The wedding of Prince Joachim and Alexandra Manley took place in the palace church on 1995. (here is a link to a broadcast of the wedding – I don't know for how long this link will remain valid Bryllup - Joachim og Alexandra - dr.dk/Bonanza). After their divorce QMII gave Alex the new title 'Countess of Frederiksborg' – maybe as a reference to the place of the wedding ceremony.
It is a tradition that the reigning monarch has his/her portrait hung in the Grand Hall of Frederiksborg Palace.

Today Frederiksborg Palace is museum a museum well worth a visit

...I have read elsewhere on this page that the DRF also has a Palace in Roskilde - there is no palace in Roskilde, so I guess whoever wrote it was thinking of Frederiksborg.

Here's a few links with some very nice photos
Frederiksborg Slot - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopædi
The Museum Of National History