The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Royal Family of Portugal (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f201/)
-   -   The Extended Bragança Family (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f201/the-extended-bragan-a-family-18999.html)

Portugal 11-09-2008 03:46 PM

The Extended Bragança Family
 
I am mainly looking for information on the Braganca descendants in the United States.Like Anita Stewart and Nevada Stoody Hayes.

Anything would be great!

Menarue 11-09-2008 05:22 PM

I am afraid I don´t know what you mean, the Bragança royal family or people from Bragança or just the surname Bragança?

Elsa M. 11-10-2008 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugal (Post 849934)
I am mainly looking for information on the Braganca descendants in the United States.Like Anita Stewart and Nevada Stoody Hayes.

Take a look at these links:
http://www.geneall.net/U/per_page.php?id=7442
http://www.geneall.net/P/per_page.php?id=6818
http://www.geneall.net/U/per_page.php?id=11896

Also, see this photo :flowers:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...7&postcount=15

Portugal 11-10-2008 02:03 PM

From a quick search found this small bio on Nevada Stoody Hayes.Unfortunately no refernce is made on where this information is from.
[She was from this bio an odd lady.]

Mrs. Astor and The Gilded Age

JSP 11-11-2008 05:09 PM

Both D.Manuel and Queen D.Amélia were devastated when they heard the news of the Duke of Oporto's wedding as he kept it a secret until the last moment.

Since D.Manuel had no children, D.Afonso was, for the second time, the presumptive heir to the throne.
He had been the heir until the birth of D.Carlos' first son Pr. D.Luis Felipe.

D.Manuel stripped him of that condition, on the grounds that he did not allow the wedding.

Living in exile for so long and with no expectations of a royal return, and always having been not to keen to the royal protocol, I bet that did not cause him much grief, although, as the sensitive man he was, the way his nephew and sister-in-law acted, must have hurt his feelings.

D.Afonso was probably the most popular member of the RF.

He was a keen sportsman and loved cars and car races.

He was one of the founders of the Portuguese Automobile Club, to which D.Carlos was the honorary president.

D.Afonso drove his own car, one of the very few in Lisbon at the time.

He got the nickname "Arreda", which he cried out loud to the pedestrians and other drivers.
"Arreda" meaning "move away".

RickHutto 11-13-2008 09:45 AM

Anita Stewart de Braganza
 
You can find Anita Stewart here:
Mrs. Astor and The Gilded Age

JSP 11-13-2008 04:10 PM

What happened to Anita's wealth ?
The American Braganças never seemed to be "swimming in dollars" and had ordinary careers.
One was a TWA (?) pilot...

Regina 11-28-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSP (Post 851562)

D.Afonso drove his own car, one of the very few in Lisbon at the time.

He got the nickname "Arreda", which he cried out loud to the pedestrians and other drivers.
"Arreda" meaning "move away".

Today at dinner a family friend told me exactly the same story! :biggrin:

Very interesting, JSP! Sadly the history books don't mention D. Afonso or Anita a lot ... I would like to know more details about what happened to Anita after his death, but I don't find much info on the internet.

JSP 12-02-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina (Post 860139)
Today at dinner a family friend told me exactly the same story! :biggrin:

Very interesting, JSP! Sadly the history books don't mention D. Afonso or Anita a lot ... I would like to know more details about what happened to Anita after his death, but I don't find much info on the internet.

Aren't you mixing Anita and Nevada ?

After the duque of Viseu death, Anita relinquished her royal titles and regain the american citizenship.
Her sons also became american citizens.
I think she was never in Portugal.

As to Nevada, after D.Afonso's death she quarrelled the portuguese state for the inheritance she felt entitled to.
With the greatest modesty she let know that she would settle just with Palácio da Pena in Sintra :lol: .

The republican government negotiated with her and she was allowed to take some small pieces, objets d'art and jewellery that belonged to D. Afonso and were left in Lisbon after the revolution.

Nevada did visited Portugal, at least, she was in Lisbon and Sintra.

From here she went back to the States and never returned.
She died in 1941.
Wonder if the two transatlantic duchesses ever met and compared their stories :queen4: .

magnik 12-02-2008 07:02 PM

Few links
brazil

D. Pedro I de Bragança

Regina 12-02-2008 07:16 PM

Thanks JSP for your informative posts about them.
This is all so interesting... I am sure most people in Portugal know nothing about all this...
It would be nice if some TV station decided to interview Anita's children... I would like to see how they look like and hear what they wish to say about their parents.
If I had (much) more info about these two ladies I would like to write an article for TRF ;) about them!

Portugal 12-04-2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina (Post 862022)
Thanks JSP for your informative posts about them.
This is all so interesting... I am sure most people in Portugal know nothing about all this...
It would be nice if some TV station decided to interview Anita's children... I would like to see how they look like and hear what they wish to say about their parents.
If I had (much) more info about these two ladies I would like to write an article for TRF ;) about them!

That would be great.I like reading anything from you Regina.Thank you very much!!:flowers:

JSP 07-09-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina (Post 862022)
Thanks JSP for your informative posts about them.
This is all so interesting... I am sure most people in Portugal know nothing about all this...
It would be nice if some TV station decided to interview Anita's children... I would like to see how they look like and hear what they wish to say about their parents.
If I had (much) more info about these two ladies I would like to write an article for TRF ;) about them!


Some of the american Braganzas (they write it with a "z" instead of "ç") were present at D.Duarte's wedding.
Actually, there aren't many of them...
There are some photos of them in Malcolm Howe's book "The Braganza Story"

Sereta 07-26-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina (Post 862022)
Thanks JSP for your informative posts about them.
This is all so interesting... I am sure most people in Portugal know nothing about all this...
It would be nice if some TV station decided to interview Anita's children... I would like to see how they look like and hear what they wish to say about their parents.
If I had (much) more info about these two ladies I would like to write an article for TRF ;) about them!

I would love to hear from them too.

JSP 07-27-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereta (Post 971425)
It would be nice if some TV station decided to interview Anita's children... I would like to see how they look like and hear what they wish to say about their parents.


That would be a little bit difficult.
The 3 children of D.Miguel and Anita are dead for a long time:

1. Isabel, the eldest committed suicide in London in 1946.
She left a son Alexandre Dorozynski, b.San Francisco 1931.He was twice married and had a daughter from 2nd wife:Tatiana Sophie Dorozynski, b.Paris 2 Dec 1966

2. John married a heiress from the Dodge family (car makers) 1912-1991
1 son, Michael b. 1951 who had one son and two daughters.

3. Michael (1915-96) had two daughters, Anita and Michele
Anita has one son and one daughter.

Sereta 07-27-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSP (Post 971799)
That would be a little bit difficult.
The 3 children of D.Miguel and Anita are dead for a long time:

1. Isabel, the eldest committed suicide in London in 1946.
She left a son Alexandre Dorozynski, b.San Francisco 1931.He was twice married and had a daughter from 2nd wife:Tatiana Sophie Dorozynski, b.Paris 2 Dec 1966

2. John married a heiress from the Dodge family (car makers) 1912-1991
1 son, Michael b. 1951 who had one son and two daughters.

3. Michael (1915-96) had two daughters, Anita and Michele
Anita has one son and one daughter.

The part you included in the quote box was actually from Regina.
And I meant I would like to hear about them. Sorry for my typo.

Keith 07-30-2009 08:51 AM

Additional Links
 
Here are a few of links that may be of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada_Stoody_Hayes

http://mrsastor.com/2008/09/t-nevada-hayes-stoody-was-born-21.html

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9C06E0DA123EE733A25757C1A96F9C946897D6CF

The last one has a copy of the original newspaper article. Just click on View Full Article :smile:.

Keith

Keith 08-03-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSP (Post 963679)
There are some photos of them in Malcolm Howe's book "The Braganza Story"

How good of a book is this? Is it very informative as to the history of the House of Braganza? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Alberto2244 08-06-2009 10:43 AM

If you cannot read Portuguese it´s a very good book.
If you can read Portuguese there many better.

Keith 08-06-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto2244 (Post 976319)
If you cannot read Portuguese it´s a very good book.
If you can read Portuguese there many better.

Thanks for the feedback!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises