The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royal Residences (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f230/)
-   -   Stately homes with royal connections (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f230/stately-homes-with-royal-connections-18965.html)

Emeralds and Opals 11-03-2008 02:27 PM

Stately homes with royal connections

Caretaker battled for years - for free - to save historic stately home - Telegraph

Mermaid1962 11-03-2008 02:44 PM

I hope that Mr. Kelley continues to be kept on as steward when the estate is bought. To do all that work without remuneration--he must really love the old place.:flowers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emeralds and Opals (Post 847444)

Kat 12-05-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 (Post 847455)
I hope that Mr. Kelley continues to be kept on as steward when the estate is bought. To do all that work without remuneration--he must really love the old place.:flowers:

Wow! Just read the article ... I second Mermaid's thoughts!

Duchess 12-07-2008 07:08 AM

what a nice story. so much history in these old, stately buildings.

NotAPretender 12-10-2008 02:21 PM

Devonshire/Fife House (Brighton) Taken Over By Squatters

Sigh.

Gorgeous Regency house, so it seems from the pictures.

The 1.75m freeloaders: Squatters take over King Edward VII's Brighton mansion

A band of squatters has taken over the country's finest Regency home, complete with a 'king's loo' fitted for visits by Edward VII.
Neighbours fear the Grade I-listed property worth 1.75million, in Brighton, East Sussex, will be damaged by the intruders who moved in over the weekend.
The five-storey home, which has six bedrooms and was recently restored, has been taken over by up to 12 squatters who are refusing to leave.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1093457/The-1-75m-freeloaders-Squatters-King-Edward-VIIs-Brighton-mansion.html

Menarue 12-10-2008 02:54 PM

Do they still allow hanging and quartering in England........they dont, too bad.

sesa 12-10-2008 03:48 PM

I know this is a stupid question but since the house has a history behind it, do they not have some kind of "Historical Society" that takes care of these houses and offers some kind of security for the premises? I know that it is privately owned, but you would think some kind of security would be provided for something that is so beatuiful and has a large part of that country's history!
Or maybe because England is so rich in history and royalty, people just don't think about preserving it?
This is the 2nd story I have read about squatters taking over a house like this.

magnik 12-10-2008 04:36 PM

Yes. For example
The National Trust

National Trust for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Royal Oak Foundation Homepage

Rebafan81 12-10-2008 04:49 PM

What a weird situation, how can they "take" up residence of this beautiful house? Is this legal, and what insane legislator made this legal????

NotAPretender 12-11-2008 12:18 PM

I tried to read a bit about squatters rights and adverse possession in the UK, but came away even more confused. There are evidently some rights of immediate occupancy that become a civil matter for eviction, but if squatters remain for 12 years, they can gain ownership. I can't see that happening here.

Emeralds and Opals 04-30-2009 03:23 PM

Courtesy of Zimbio(Getty).

"30th April 2009-Kenilworth, England, UK-Robert Dudley the Earl of Leicester had the gardens designed(created) for Queen Elizabeth I and her court more than 400 years ago."

Elizabethan Gardens Open At Kenilworth Castle After Reconstruction - Pictures - Zimbio

A photogallery.

georgiea 05-02-2009 11:07 PM

Beautiful and so expensive to recreate. Is Kenilworth Castle the ruins in the background?:smile::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Emeralds and Opals 05-02-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgiea (Post 929522)
Beautiful and so expensive to recreate. Is Kenilworth Castle the ruins in the background?:smile::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes.

Courtesy of English Heritage and Wikipedia.

Kenilworth Castle & Elizabethan Garden : Warwickshire : West Midlands : Find a property by map : Properties : Days Out & Events : English Heritage

Kenilworth Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:flowers::flowers::flowers:

iowabelle 05-03-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 (Post 847455)

A heroic human being. Thank you, Mr. Kelley!

iowabelle 05-03-2009 07:43 PM

I don't understand the Brighton mansion issue. Don't the British recognize trespass laws?? Yes, I know about squatting, but in the States the trespassors have to stay for a number of years before they acquire "adverse possession".

Emeralds and Opals 05-10-2009 05:18 PM

Courtesy of BBC, National Trust and Wikipedia.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/oxfordshire/8041928.stm

"Tenants sought for country estate(Ashdown House, Oxfordshire, England, UK)."
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-ashdownhouse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_of_Bohemia

William Craven, 1st Earl of Craven (1608–1697) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:crown8::britflag::scotflag::butterfly::rose2::rose2::rose2:

Vanya Trubetskoy 04-14-2011 07:58 PM

17 Bruton Street and 145 Piccadilly.

3 Attachment(s)
17 Bruton Street.

17 Bruton street was built in 1740 by Isaac Ware. It was noted for an impressive Palladian front and a rich interior. There was a vaulted entrance hall, a fine salon, as well some very pretty ceilings.
The house was later acquired by the Bowes-Lyon family. As the Earl's of Strathmore it was one of several properties at their use. The London season was spent at 17 Bruton street, late summer/fall at Glamis castle in Scotland, spring at St.Paul's Walden Bury.
Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon left 17 Bruton street to marry the Duke of York on April 26, 1923. Their first child, Princess Elizabeth was born in this house April 1926.
The house was demolished in 1937.

145 Piccadilly.

145 Piccadilly was the first home for the Duke and Duchess of York and their daughters Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret. The Duke and Duchess restored the house to make it a very comfortable home. It was furnished with late-18th-century furniture.
This fine house was destroyed in the war.

PrincePatrick 04-14-2011 08:03 PM

Very interesting! I can only imagine what it must have been like for a young woman of society in that time. Kinda makes you wish you had a time machine! :)

Vasillisos Markos 04-14-2011 09:30 PM

My dear Vanya,

Thank you for posting these photographs of such wonderful houses. It is a shame they did not survive modernization or the war.

Vanya Trubetskoy 04-15-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos (Post 1232887)
My dear Vanya,

Thank you for posting these photographs of such wonderful houses. It is a shame they did not survive modernization or the war.

No problem! My pleasure.
It is indeed a shame! They must have been beautiful!