The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royal Residences (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f230/)
-   -   Bagshot Park (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f230/bagshot-park-18950.html)

HRHAmy 05-31-2006 06:50 PM

Bagshot Park

Does anybody have pictures of the Earl and Countess of Wessex's House?

Australian 06-01-2006 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRHAmy
Does anybody have pictures of the Earl and Countess of Wessex's House?

The Earl and Countess reside at Bagshot Park. I absolutely love the exterior look of the house.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagshot_Park
http://www.bagshotvillage.org.uk/bpark/index.htm

HRHAmy 06-01-2006 01:41 PM

Thank you so much Australian! I just love it, it's very lovely!:)

Marengo 11-04-2008 08:11 PM

I was wondering, didn't Bagshot Park originally belong to the Duke of Connaught? Did his daughter and Swedish heirs sell it to HM The Queen afterwards?

I am wondering, are the Earl and Countess of Wessex using the entire building for themselves? If so they have a bigger house than any of the European crownprinces and even some monarchs probably.

wymanda 11-04-2008 08:22 PM

I don't think it belonged to him. It would have been a "Grace & Favour" residence. Once he died & his family no longer wanted to live there it would have reverted to the crown estates. It was leased for a considerable number of years to the Army Chaplains department and then was vacant until Sophie & Edward took it over.

CasiraghiTrio 11-25-2008 05:50 PM

Wymanda, isn't it constantly part of the crown estate? I ask because you said it would have "reverted" after the Duke's death. But how can it revert when it is always owned by the Crown? Either way, I believe you are right that for the Duke it was grace and favor. And also now it is the grace and favor residence of the Wessex. I understand Prince Edward has to pay a very small rent to the Crown Estate. It is a big residence like Marengo said. I think it's so big because it has been added and piled onto many times, giving it its sort of hodge podge look.

muriel 11-26-2008 05:15 AM

.... but its strill a very large house for a minor royal to have and maintain. Its lucky "mummy" helps with the running costs.

QUEENECE29 11-26-2008 05:43 AM

Bagshot Park is wonderful residance. Nice pics.
Where do live Camilla and Charles?

Warren 11-26-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QUEENECE29 (Post 858857)
Where do live Camilla and Charles?

Clarence House in London
Highgrove in the country

CasiraghiTrio 11-26-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 858849)
.... but its strill a very large house for a minor royal to have and maintain. Its lucky "mummy" helps with the running costs.

Yes, the Crown Estate is a nice organization to have batting for you. :biggrin:

He specifically wanted to live there for some reason. Overall, Prince Edward does not seem to be a demanding person. He does his duties and is paid for it. If he wants the house, let him have the house. His mother can afford to let him live in that house, and he's got to live somewhere. BP doesn't seem much like a home, more like, as Prince Philip? said, "over the shop"? With a family, he needs more than his office building for his home.

Claire 11-26-2008 01:25 PM

Actually when he brought the house in 1997. There was another debate entirely. Edward was not looking for a house he was looking for an apartment. The Queen Mother who knew and had often visited Bagshot Park spoke to him about it. She had looked the house and she had attempted to buy the house herself in the 1960's, but the crown estates gave it to the army.
Anyway she was horrified about the state the army had let the house fall into. It was in such a state of affairs that British Heritage believed it would be too expensive to preserve. The army had already declared their intend to move out of Bagshot Park and as per their agreement lease restored it to a condition that was workable.

It must be noted that the Bagshot Park estate is part of the houses that is deemed sensitive and therefore can never be put up for market in the convential way. If Edward had not taken it it would still probably still be standing empty. Or another government or military deptment would have moved in and still be paying subsidised rent.

branchg 12-21-2008 01:19 PM

Bagshot Park, like most of the royal residences, is owned by the Crown Estate and leased to its occupant under long-term agreements. Prince Edward and Prince Andrew both assumed new 99-year leases on Bagshot Park and Royal Lodge with the Crown Estate. Presumbly, The Queen paid for the renovations and probably the cost of the leases since neither Edward nor Andrew are particularly wealthy.

Clarence House is also owned by the Crown Estate and leased to Prince Charles. He pays for the cost himself out of his own private monies.

Mermaid1962 12-22-2008 01:21 AM

Claire, thanks for filling us in on some of the background on Baghshot Park. I wonder whether it's possible that some or many of the rooms aren't in use and so aren't heated or don't cost a lot to maintain.:smile:

Royal Fan 12-22-2008 01:29 AM

Wonder if the kids like seems a bit bland child wise

Mermaid1962 12-22-2008 01:37 AM

There'd be lots of places to play "hide and seek", I bet.:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Fan (Post 870411)
Wonder if the kids like seems a bit bland child wise

HRHAmy 02-07-2009 03:16 AM

It sure is a shame there are no pictures of the inside of the house.

muriel 02-11-2009 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 (Post 870406)
Thanks for filling us in on some of the background on Baghshot Park. I wonder whether it's possible that some or many of the rooms aren't in use and so aren't heated or don't cost a lot to maintain.:smile:

What a waste! Wonder what prompted Edward and Sophie to choose the house? Just bad judgement, IMO!

Mr Sophie Wessex 05-17-2013 11:24 PM

Nice mansion though :smile: where the private room?

vkrish 05-18-2013 01:38 AM

They dont use the entire mansion. They have kept a few rooms for themselves and rented out the rest to a drug company. That rent provides for the lease amount they pay to Crown Estate..

padams2359 06-23-2013 11:33 AM

I just wonder how this is not a nightmare on both parts. Royal security has to deal with people moving around the place, and the company has to deal with royal security.