The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Belgian Royal Residences (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f227/)
-   -   Castle of Fenffe, Fenffe (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f227/castle-of-fenffe-fenffe-18865.html)

Cathérine Bergeyck 08-18-2003 03:25 PM

Castle of Fenffe, Fenffe
 
1 Attachment(s)
There's also the castle of Fenffe, belonging to the king and queen.
They like to go there for a quiet weekend, or to receive guests.

Susan D 12-17-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathérine Bergeyck (Post 20309)
There's also the castle of Fenffe, belonging to the king and queen.
They like to go there for a quiet weekend, or to receive guests.

Does the chateau in Fenffe now belong to Philippe and Mathilde?

MAfan 12-17-2010 05:09 PM

No, the Castle belongs to the Royal Trust.

Susan D 12-22-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAfan (Post 1177241)
No, the Castle belongs to the Royal Trust.

Thank you. If the chateau were in my usage, I would use it more because Philippe and Mathilde go to France for their hols instead of just going to Fenffe.

*Mara* 12-28-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan D (Post 1179733)
Thank you. If the chateau were in my usage, I would use it more because Philippe and Mathilde go to France for their hols instead of just going to Fenffe.

Philippe and Mathilde own a house at the Belgian coast, this is their favourite place it seems. Then there is the castle of Ciergnon, very close to Fenffe, with lots of space and comfort for all family members. E. g. Queen Paola installed a large playroom for her grandchildren there. And finally they also spend time at Losange, the castle of Mathilde’s family. It’s not that surprising that the castle of Fenffe is rarely used these days.
Recently there was a tv report about it. The royal family occasionally receive guests for their annual hunt in Fenffe, but that’s it. The castle got a new roof to avoid damages, but would need extensive renovations if the royals would intend to use it frequently. Fenffe was the favourite retreat of King Leopold and Queen Astrid it was said.

*Mara* 12-28-2010 06:26 PM

A short description of Fenffe
Fenffe la rose joue les discrètes

and three pictures
http://www.chateauxdebelgique.eu/nam...ge/Fenffe1.jpg
http://www.chateauxdebelgique.eu/nam...ge/Fenffe2.jpg
http://www.chateauxdebelgique.eu/nam...ge/Fenffe3.jpg

Susan D 01-01-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Mara* (Post 1181916)
Philippe and Mathilde own a house at the Belgian coast, this is their favourite place it seems. Then there is the castle of Ciergnon, very close to Fenffe, with lots of space and comfort for all family members. E. g. Queen Paola installed a large playroom for her grandchildren there. And finally they also spend time at Losange, the castle of Mathilde’s family. It’s not that surprising that the castle of Fenffe is rarely used these days.
Recently there was a tv report about it. The royal family occasionally receive guests for their annual hunt in Fenffe, but that’s it. The castle got a new roof to avoid damages, but would need extensive renovations if the royals would intend to use it frequently. Fenffe was the favourite retreat of King Leopold and Queen Astrid it was said.

Dear Mara, Thanks very much for the info and for the photos. I had not known that the chateau de Fenffe was in a bad state of repair. Also, I had not known that Philippe and Mathilde had a seaside home. I still feell, however, that Royals need to use more the homes that they do have instead of going abroad although it's probably nicer for them to travel abroad.

auntie 01-01-2011 02:49 PM

It looks more like a manor than a castle

*Mara* 01-04-2011 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan D (Post 1183552)
Dear Mara, Thanks very much for the info and for the photos. I had not known that the chateau de Fenffe was in a bad state of repair. Also, I had not known that Philippe and Mathilde had a seaside home. I still feell, however, that Royals need to use more the homes that they do have instead of going abroad although it's probably nicer for them to travel abroad.

You are welcome. :flowers: And you raise a valid point. I can imagine though, that spending holidays abroad is a much needed escape from the attention royals get in their home countries.

*Mara* 11-03-2012 02:04 PM

A more recent candid shot of the backside and garden of Fenffe.

All sizes | Résidence royale, photo volée | Flickr - Photo Sharing!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises