The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Belgian Royal Residences (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f227/)
-   -   The Royal Palace, Brussels (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f227/the-royal-palace-brussels-18858.html)

Marengo 08-16-2006 07:13 AM

I actually visited the royal palace in Brussels once (and for free). The throneroom and ballroom took my breath away: all those chandeleers and all that gold! Exactly how a royal palace should be. I also liked the modern green ceiling that was recently made by an artist (I believe under strong approval of Queen Paola) and the marble fireplaces & the amazing vases.

Huddo 09-18-2006 08:03 PM

would anybody have a floorplan of the Royal Palace in Brussels!..

lucien 07-14-2008 04:15 AM

The Royal Palace,Brussels,will be opened to the public during the annual summer opening from july 25th till september 7th,admission is free,
and you can visit the exhibition `Science at the Palace" that will be opened this week by HRH The Duke of Brabant.

LadyLeana 07-14-2008 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucien (Post 798860)
and you can visit the exhibition `Science at the Palace" that will be opened this week by HRH The Duke of Brabant.

The 18th, to be exact.
The visit sure is worth it, so anyone who can should go!

RoyalistRiley 06-25-2009 09:00 PM

What a beautiful building!

paola 06-26-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 845963)
I actually visited the royal palace in Brussels once (and for free). The throneroom and ballroom took my breath away: all those chandeleers and all that gold! Exactly how a royal palace should be. I also liked the modern green ceiling that was recently made by an artist (I believe under strong approval of Queen Paola) and the marble fireplaces & the amazing vases.

A very small piece of that ceiling is made by Queen Paola. She made a "P" near one of the doors.
I saw it when I visited the palace a few years ago. According Jean Fabre [the artist who made the ceiling] she had glue everywhere but did a good job.
I like the ceiling, but I don't no if I like the green chandelier:ermm:

LadyLeana 06-26-2009 05:29 PM

The chandelier did seem a bit too much to me, tbh. But the effect of that ceiling, it's just... wow...
Too bad taking pics isn't allowed :ermm:

lucien 07-03-2009 05:17 AM

The Royal Palace will be opened again for the public from july 26th till september 13th,every day except mondays from 10.30AM till 16.30PM.

HM The King will open the Science at the Palace exhibition on july 20th.

SpeedDial 08-08-2009 04:46 AM

Would they be allowed to live there as well if they wanted? Also, does anyone have a picture of the palace the king lives at? I think it's called Belvedere and I couldn't find it on google.

LadyLeana 08-08-2009 07:03 AM

I'm not sure if it is suited as a place to live, SpeedDial. Of course you don't see the entire building when you go there and take the tour, but it seems to me that it would mostly be used as "office" for the King and official reception place for Ambassadors, and other government representatives (since it's in the middle of Brussels it's easy to reach).

I think the location is also not so ideal. I'm sure they prefer the lush green grounds of the Laeken domain over the grey stones of the centre of Brussels.

There's a thread with pics of the Belvedere here

SpeedDial 08-08-2009 02:00 PM

Thank you for posting those pictures LadyLeana.:smile: It's a nice home, but smaller than what I thought it would be. I guess when I think of royalty, I automatically think of huge palaces as being their homes.

principessa 07-05-2010 03:01 PM

Is the palace this year also open to the public? I am going to travel to Brussels in August, and I want to visit the palace!

Lumutqueen 07-05-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by principessa (Post 1107069)
Is the palace this year also open to the public? I am going to travel to Brussels in August, and I want to visit the palace!

Monday 26th July 2010 - Sunday 5th September 2010. :smile:

principessa 07-05-2010 03:09 PM

Is the admission free?

Stefan 07-05-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by principessa (Post 1107079)
Is the admission free?

Yes the admisson is free. But unfortunately there are also no audio gudies or guided tours probably because it's free entrance. You can however buy guide books and postcards in the Entrance Hall of the Palace.
Also worth a Visit is the Bellevue Museum next to the Palace.

*Mara* 08-25-2010 08:14 AM

Less than 2 weeks left for a visit to the royal palace. If one of you is at close quarters, I can only recommend it. ;) The renovated rooms look superb and the newly acquired art by MichaŽl Borremans suits the palace well. Great idea to portrait the lackeys.

Picture details
Picture details

Video clip of the opening back in July.
Videozone

Tia 08-15-2011 11:05 AM

picture gallery of the open palace days. The palace can be visited till spetember 11th
Visite du Palais Royal

Tia 05-17-2013 06:53 AM

Yesterday a massive hole appeared out of nowhere in front of the royal palace in Brussels.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2z8aq1e.jpg
Thankfully nobody was injured, the waterpipeline to the palace is damaged tough. It's the street where the parade on national day takes place and during receptions the place is used as car park. A spokesperson of Brussels' administration admitted that the street was in very bad condition and they will fix it now.
Weg zakt in aan koninklijk paleis (Brussel) - Het Nieuwsblad

Tia 05-17-2013 07:32 AM

Picture gallery
BelgaPicture - Category details

MAfan 05-17-2013 07:12 PM

Is it known what did cause the hole?