The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 19: October 2008-March 2009 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/queen-elizabeth-and-the-duke-of-edinburgh-current-events-19-october-2008-march-2009-a-18683.html)

MARG 10-31-2008 07:42 AM

Great pix Ice. Pleased to see that PM Helen Clark is not the only female world leader to meet the Queen wearing a trouser suit. :whistling:

Skydragon 10-31-2008 08:55 AM

Sorry, another Mail article!
-------------------
While fury against the BBC over Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross was at its peak, the corporation brazenly aired a highly offensive remark about the Queen.
During the comedy show Mock The Week on Wednesday evening, Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle made a 'disgracefully foul' so-called joke

Even as Russell Brand row raged, BBC 'comedians' were insulting the Queen | Mail Online

BeatrixFan 10-31-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceflower (Post 845266)
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II meets German Chancellor Angela
Merkel at Buckingham Palace in London, on October 30, 2008.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel will hold talks dominated by
the global financial crisis with Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

I wonder what the Queen thinks about our German Queen Angela ;)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

It's nice to see Angela Merkel showing the Queen so much respect with a little bow. Ok she didn't curtsey but a bow is just as good, especially when it isn't really required of her. From what I know, Angela only speaks German so I assume the meeting was held in German?

iceflower 10-31-2008 01:23 PM

Pics 27.+30.10.2008

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG (Post 845923)
Great pix Ice. Pleased to see that PM Helen Clark is not the only female world leader to meet the Queen wearing a trouser suit. :whistling:

:biggrin: Quite brave I would say ;)

BeatrixFan, as far as I know Angela Merkel speaks Russian and English,
Russian surely better than English as to the region in Germany she grew
up, but nevertheless.. :smile:

The Queen at St James Palace in London at a reception to mark the
60th anniversary of the Leonard Cheshire Disability on October 27:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

The Queen at an Investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace, October 30:

** Pic **

Mermaid1962 10-31-2008 11:44 PM

Yeah, nothing like a joke about HM's bodily functions for a cheap laugh.:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 845981)
Sorry, another Mail article!
-------------------
While fury against the BBC over Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross was at its peak, the corporation brazenly aired a highly offensive remark about the Queen.
During the comedy show Mock The Week on Wednesday evening, Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle made a 'disgracefully foul' so-called joke

Even as Russell Brand row raged, BBC 'comedians' were insulting the Queen | Mail Online

Emeralds and Opals 11-02-2008 01:23 PM

Re: Christmas celebrations at Sandringham.

Credit crunch forces the Queen to scale down Sandringham's Christmas festival - Telegraph

iceflower 11-05-2008 02:31 AM

Pics 4.11.2008

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh during the 'Vigil
1914-1918' ceremony at Canada House, Trafalgar Square on November
4, 2008 in London, England. The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh attended
the short ceremony to pay respects to the Canadian servicemen who
lost their lives in the First World War. This year marks the 90th anniversary
of the end of the World War I.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

giov 11-05-2008 11:21 AM

Pics from Mediumphoto
Queen Elisabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh attend a lecture during a visit to the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) to open the eight storey New Academic Building, November 05 2008.

http://i34.tinypic.com/in7i94.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/23igmyw.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/f3c5sh.jpg (the lecture doesn't seem to be very interesting to the Duke of Edinburgh!):sleep:
http://i34.tinypic.com/2mq6ryt.jpg

Mermaid1962 11-05-2008 03:46 PM

Wonderful pictures, wonderful Queen. I would have been great to be at this occasion.:flowers:

Skydragon 11-05-2008 06:33 PM

Queen Elizabeth II questioned why experts had failed to see the world financial crisis looming Wednesday, describing the situation as "awful".

Queen Elizabeth II wonders why no one spotted credit crunch - Yahoo! News UK

Russophile 11-05-2008 08:54 PM

Sounds like another everybody, somebody, anybody and nobody story. . .:whistling:

BMC 11-05-2008 09:01 PM

LOL Not that I blame HRH, I once took a class in economics myself & had a tough time staying awake during the lectures :lol:

MARG 11-06-2008 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 848553)
Queen Elizabeth II questioned why experts had failed to see the world financial crisis looming Wednesday, describing the situation as "awful".

Wow, for HM to make such a statement is in itself "awful". Good on her, just this once she dropped a clanger about fiscal irresponibility at a visit to The London School of Economics. So I guess you could say her comment was not political at all, merely topical. :biggrin:

Unfortunately, I think the answer is that noone had the wit or wisdom to see that "the light at the end of the tunnel was an oncoming train"! (They may also have been mindful the unfortunate tendency in political circles, to kill the messenger!) :whistling:

iceflower 11-06-2008 12:49 PM

Pics 6.11.2008

Britian s Queen Elizabeth II receives (from left to right ;)) the High
Commissioner for Barbados Mr Hugh Arthur, the Ambassador of the
Republic of Moldova Natalia Solcan and the High Commissioner for
the Republic of Cyprus Mr Alexandros Zenon at Buckingham Palace
in London, November 6, 2008

Britain's Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, talks with Chelsea
Pensioners and war veterans following a ceremony at Westminster
Abbey in London November 6, 2008. The Duke attended the annual
event ahead of Remembrance Sunday on November 9, when those
who died fighting for Britain and its allies in conflict are remembered.

Elspeth 11-06-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG (Post 848619)
Wow, for HM to make such a statement is in itself "awful". Good on her, just this once she dropped a clanger about fiscal irresponibility at a visit to The London School of Economics. So I guess you could say her comment was not political at all, merely topical. :biggrin:

Unfortunately, I think the answer is that noone had the wit or wisdom to see that "the light at the end of the tunnel was an oncoming train"! (They may also have been mindful the unfortunate tendency in political circles, to kill the messenger!) :whistling:

I don't really see a problem with it - it doesn't matter who got us into the crisis, it's still awful!

tan_berry 11-06-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

¿What are you good for, anyway? ¡I loved it! :lol:

ada 11-07-2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Well I'm glad the queen is asking questions. Nobody else important seems to be bothered to find out who is responsible.

Mermaid1962 11-07-2008 02:26 PM

Yes, she speaks for everybody when she asks questions like that. EVERYONE is affected by this in some way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ada (Post 849030)
Well I'm glad the queen is asking questions.

iceflower 11-07-2008 05:29 PM

Pics 7.11.2008

Queen Elizabeth II receives Sir Daniel Williams on the relinquishment
of his appointment as Governor General of Grenada accompanied by
his wife Lady Williams and Mr John Dauth High Commissioner for the
Commonwealth of Australia at Buckingham Palace, London, Nov 7, 2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

TheTruth 11-07-2008 06:12 PM

Perhaps anecdotic but it still shows that no one is spared in this crisis: Queen's potter Royal Worcester goes broke - Yahoo! News UK