The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Family of Belgium (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f29/)
-   -   Prince Of Liege (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f29/prince-of-liege-1841.html)

TODOI 02-12-2004 01:21 AM

who now holds the title HRH the Prince of Liege???

Dennism 02-12-2004 01:28 AM

That would be King Albert II.

Prince de Montalban 02-13-2004 12:08 PM

King Albert II was this till he became king in 1993.

Now his son, Prince Laurent, has this title, Prince of Líege/Luik.

Dennism 02-13-2004 12:57 PM

Well, then the 5 sites that I looked at had it wrong then. That's strange. They still called him that. You would have thought they'd know better.

Martine 02-13-2004 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Prince de Montalban@Feb 13th, 2004 - 11:08 am
King Albert II was this till he became king in 1993.

Now his son, Prince Laurent, has this title, Prince of Líege/Luik.

prince laurent doesn't have the title prince de Liège !
King albert had that title till he became king , i don't think he has the title anymore cause obviously king is a bigger title

Dennism 02-13-2004 06:08 PM

Maybe that's why the sites still listed the King as having the title then.

Sean.~ 02-13-2004 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dennism@Feb 13th, 2004 - 5:08 pm
Maybe that's why the sites still listed the King as having the title then.
The King has it as one of his less titles. Liege won't be awarded to Laurent, as he is only a younger son and far removed from the throne. Moreover, it's isn't a linguisticlly/politically neutral title and thus I doubt there will be any future Prince's of Liege.

Hannelore 02-14-2004 05:19 AM

That's correct.

Apart from prince/princess of Belgium there are no other titles, except for Philippe and Mathilde who are the duke and duchess of Brabant.

The other titles that were used in the past such as prince of Liege, count of Flanders are linguistically and politically 'not so correct', because they refer to one province/region of Belgium, where only 1 of the Belgian languages is spoken. That's not the case for Brabant, where both French and Flemish are spoken.

martha-louise 02-16-2004 02:35 PM

Maybe if you want to know it for sure who has the title of prince of liege.
Look at the marriage of prince laurent. In the city hall of brussels the sheriff (schepen) reads the titles of the king en prince laurent.

Prince de Montalban 02-18-2004 04:00 PM

all right i was wrong :blush:

but our king doesn't have the titles anymore, because he was known together with his wife as the Prince and Princess of Luik/Liége, but when he became king he dropped this title.

It is possible for one of Phillippe's children (maybe prince Gabriel) to wear this title, because the title of Prince of Liege was given to the other children of the king/queen. Prince Charles per example has the title of Count of Flanders, and the son of the crownprince (the future crownprince) has the title Duke of Hanaut.

Women don't have titles, only male members of the RF were given titles by their birth.

Sean.~ 02-18-2004 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Prince de Montalban@Feb 18th, 2004 - 3:00 pm
all right i was wrong* :blush:*

but our king doesn't have the titles anymore, because he was known together with his wife as the Prince and Princess of Luik/Liége, but when he became king he dropped this title.

It is possible for one of Phillippe's children (maybe prince Gabriel) to wear this title, because the title of Prince of Liege was given to the other children of the king/queen. Prince Charles per example has the title of Count of Flanders, and the son of the crownprince (the future crownprince) has the title Duke of Hanaut.

Women don't have titles, only male members of the RF were given titles by their birth.

IIRC, it was decided some time ago that titles that favour one linguistic region over another will no longer be given out as it is no longer considered PC and is viewed as divisive.

Josefine 12-01-2004 04:26 PM

what titles are there in belgium

hillary_nugent 12-01-2004 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TODOI
who now holds the title HRH the Prince of Liege???

What does this title specify??? Is there a place called Liege? ^___^

Cathérine Bergeyck 12-02-2004 05:00 AM

It's a province of Belgium. The title isn't used anymore.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises