The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Picture of the Month, Special Features, Blogs & Articles (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f86/)
-   -   Queen Amelia of Portugal (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f86/queen-amelia-of-portugal-18231.html)

Mandy 08-29-2008 08:10 PM

Queen Amelia of Portugal

Queen Amelia of Portugal, a French princess born in exile in England, married the heir to the Portuguese throne, a throne that became increasingly precarious during her husband's reign. She tried to find a meaningful role as Queen but was constantly attacked by the republican press. Her husband and eldest son were assassinated in front of her, and when her younger son was deposed after a short reign, she left Portugal, the country she had come to deeply love, and ended her life as she had begun it - in exile.

More...

Elspeth 09-02-2008 01:40 PM

This article is a really good account of Queen Amelia's life; for anyone interested in early 20th century monarchies, I recommend reading it. Regina worked really hard on it, and I think she's produced a real winner!

Menarue 09-11-2008 01:04 PM

I have just read the wonderful article by Regina about Queen Amelia. I have lived for years in Portugal but have never really read much about this Queen. The most I had ever heard was the dreadful day of the assassination of both her husband and son. I had no idea of her life and I was very moved by Regina´s description of such a sweet natured, loyal and, loving person. How dreadful that she had to go through all these trials and sorrows culminating in the assassination. A great tragedy. I really enjoyed such a scholarly work on this the last Queen of Portugal (at least for now) and how problems seem to follow her around, even her marriage causing the loss of a throne.
Thanks Regina, this is a biography that I will keep and read over and over again.
Menarue

Regina 09-16-2008 02:17 PM

Thanks Elspeth and Menarue for your nice posts, I am glad you liked Queen Amelia's story. Thanks for having read it till the end (!), it's a quite long article :biggrin:

amandamrgt 09-16-2008 02:53 PM

Regina, that was really one very good article. I knew virtually nothing about Amelia but now am quite captivated by her personality and life. Thank you for writing it! :smile:

Elspeth 09-30-2008 04:59 PM

Seems as though the article has been noticed at another royalty forum.

The Unofficial Royal Family Site :: View topic - September 28, 1865 – Birth of Amélie of Orleans

Well done, Regina!:flowers:

Menarue 09-30-2008 05:02 PM

Congratulations Regina. It is nice to know that you are appreciated outside of your home forum.....

Elspeth 10-01-2008 05:19 PM

And another one...

Portuguese Monarchy - Monarchy Forum

Not sure if he saw the article at TRA or at the Unofficial Royal Forums, but it's all good!

Regina 10-03-2008 05:50 AM

Thank you, Elspeth, for your updates. I had no idea other forums members were aware of my article. It's good! :flowers:

alex001 12-17-2008 02:40 PM

Great article Regina - I have to say, I prefer it to the Wikipedia article on her!:flowers:

rossam 05-08-2010 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandy (Post 817018)

Queen Amelia of Portugal, a French princess born in exile in England, married the heir to the Portuguese throne, a throne that became increasingly precarious during her husband's reign. She tried to find a meaningful role as Queen but was constantly attacked by the republican press. Her husband and eldest son were assassinated in front of her, and when her younger son was deposed after a short reign, she left Portugal, the country she had come to deeply love, and ended her life as she had begun it - in exile.

More...

I'm sure seeing your husband & son killed infront of you was very traumautic for her. It's so sad.

Wisteria 05-08-2010 06:34 AM

She was a very courageous woman, I have seen an etching of her when she stood up in the carriage and fought the assassin with all she had at hand, her bouquet of flowers.

LordMountbatten 05-23-2010 10:03 AM

I believe all mothers, and Queens especially,have the instinct to protect their families. Just like in the early 19th century when the Dowager Duchess Augusta wanted to secure the House of Coburg. She did everything to enhance her family's fortune but she never realized that her original plan would result in her family's bloodline to dominate the European monarchies starting from the marriage of his son Albert to Queen Victoria.

jonc93 06-01-2010 11:01 PM

Thank you Regina for that wonderful article! As a Portuguese, I felt very proud when reading about our last queen!

nwilliams 06-19-2010 02:45 AM

A great article about the Queen Amelia of the Portugal a French Princess. I feel very relax that she is the real queen regarding her work. She has suffered a lot being a queen. But she was really love by the people who understand her. She has fulfilled all the responsibilities as a queen and as a good mother as well as wife.