The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Anniversaries of Diana's Death (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/anniversaries-of-dianas-death-18227.html)

tiaraprin 08-12-2005 10:01 PM

Anniversaries of Diana's Death

I wanted to start a thread a little early in remembrance of Diana's death on August 31, 1997. For some of us, it was a tragic day we will never forget and perhaps never fully get over. I remember where I was when I found out that she had died and I will never forget crying on my then boyfriend's shoulder for the entire night.

I thought this thread could be a place where we could come leading up to the anniversary and maybe a little afterwards to talk about and share our feelings about Diana and her passing. Share our memories of the most beautiful Princess of the 20th century.

I wish this thread to be solely about Diana in a positive way. Please don't bring Charles, Camilla, or any other negative thing here. I request this politely from the bottom of my heart. Let us remember the good that Diana did during her short life. Let us remember her charity work. Let us remember what a great Mum she was to her sons. Let us remember how she related to people across all social classes throughout the world. Share your feelings and memories. Thank you.

sara1981 08-12-2005 10:05 PM

i wont forget about Princess Diana but i never met her before but she really lovely woman since her marriages to Prince of Wales in 1981 and she raise two fine sons but im still miss her very much and after her death i read book about her of her life and lots of more from authors

tiaraprin 08-12-2005 10:06 PM

Thank You for Coming and Sharing Sara!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sara1981
i wont forget about Princess Diana but i never met her before but she really lovely woman since her marriages to Prince of Wales in 1981 and she raise two fine sons but im still miss her very much and after her death i read book about her of her life and lots of more from authors

Thank you for coming and sharing your thoughts and feelings Sara. Please come back if you want or need to share more.

sara1981 08-12-2005 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Thank you for coming and sharing your thoughts and feelings Sara. Please come back if you want or need to share more.

sure

Sara Boyce

Alicky 08-12-2005 10:17 PM

I must have been around ten when she died. I was sitting under the tree by our old kitchen window when my sister came out and bluntly said that Princess Diana was dead. I honestly cannot remember a single thing about Diana before she died, I mean, I knew who she was when my sister told me and was shocked, but I have no memory of seeing her on the news or in a magazine when she was alive. I guess I was too young to be too aware of it. But I know that I knew who she was when I found out she died, I asked my sister if she was lying and she said: "Nope."

tiaraprin 08-12-2005 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alicky
I must have been around ten when she died. I was sitting under the tree by our old kitchen window when my sister came out and bluntly said that Princess Diana was dead. I honestly cannot remember a single thing about Diana before she died, I mean, I knew who she was when my sister told me and was shocked, but I have no memory of seeing her on the news or in a magazine when she was alive. I guess I was too young to be too aware of it. But I know that I knew who she was when I found out she died, I asked my sister if she was lying and she said: "Nope."

Thank you for your honest feelings and memories Alicky. I was 13 when Diana married Charles on July 29, 1981. My birthday had been 19 days before. I remember getting up with my Mom at 4am EST to watch the wedding. I was so bowled over when I saw her that day and have followed Diana throughout her life, her tragic death, and all the horrible events afterwards. She is my idol, my icon. I will never forget her or the positive impact she has had on my life.

Oppie 08-12-2005 10:51 PM

I saw her once I think I was about 6. I can't remember what she looked like all I can remember was there was this huge burst of excitement and a flash of pink (I later found out she was wearing a bright pink suit) We then went to listen to the speeches and my mom likes to remind me how I kept making fun of how Prince Charles talked.

I remember the day she died too. I had heard that she was in an accident but it wasn't serious. It wasn't until the next morning I heard that she had died.

Victoria1999 08-13-2005 02:09 AM

It was around the political changes in Bulgaria (~1990) when I saw pictures of Diana for the very first time and read about her. Since than, I really liked her look and I started collecting books and articles about her (my family was making fun of me:) ).

When she died, Aug. 31, my brother, sister-in-law and I were traveling from our hometown to Sofia by a train. We heard on the radio about her death and I convinced everyone that this is some kind of a sick joke. It was later in that same day when we saw the news. We couldn't believe it. Until today my brother remembers how everybody believed me in the train.

sara1981 08-13-2005 03:55 AM

i remind after Diana's death my mom watch CNN news about Diana's coffin come home from Paris,France but im really shock of her as young Princess and i dont watch her funeral on television but its really young for Diana to died at 36 years old but im wishes she was alives

Sara Boyce

Yennie 08-13-2005 06:27 AM

I cant belive its been 8 years...
I still remember that morning. My dad woke me up and said "there´s something about Diana on tv" and I turn the tv on and there it was...

Harry's polo shirt 08-13-2005 06:41 AM

I was in sixth grade, not sure what age is that was, (what ever the average age for a sixth grader is minus one year). I woke up for school and my mom was watching news reports on TV. I didn't know who she was, and my mom told me that she was a wonderful person, and the most photographed woman ever. I remember seeing Harry and the note on her casket, and my heart melted. I remember praying for Harry and Will alot.

Danielle 08-13-2005 06:48 AM

I remember I was outside in the garage with my dad on this particular overcast winter day. He was fixing up my desk and we had the radio on (it isn't usually on). We heard something about Princess Diana being in a car accident. My dad called out to my mum to tell her what happened, but she already knew because she had the TV on. She came out to tell us more information. There were headlines, but no one knew what was going on. There was an eerie feeling that day. A sadness. My brother and I had been playing Super Mario Bros on the Super Nintendo (yes, that long ago) earlier on that day, and he still played it later on (maybe he was too young to fully understand what was going on). It’s amazing the little details you remember when certain events happen. Things you might not normally have realised. I remember seeing the footage on the TV of the crash. I think the most moving scene I saw was days later and all the flowers left for her. A sea of flowers and people crying!

Squidgy 08-13-2005 07:13 AM

Quote:

I was 13 when Diana married Charles on July 29, 1981. My birthday had been 19 days before. I remember getting up with my Mom at 4am EST to watch the wedding. I was so bowled over when I saw her that day and have followed Diana throughout her life, her tragic death, and all the horrible events afterwards. She is my idol, my icon. I will never forget her or the positive impact she has had on my life.

Tiaraprin, I was about the same age as you when Charles and Diana married, so I too remember the magic and fairytale feeling of that day. If someone had told me then how it would all end, I would not have believed them in a million years ...

I too followed Diana throughout her life and I admired her immensely. And in spite of all the stuff that started to be written about her beginning in the 1990's and continues to be written today, I still admire her.

Watching her work so incredibly well with people with all sorts of problems, encouraged me at various points in my life to challenge myself and do volunteer work with mentally handicapped and later with socially disadvantaged youth.

I was, like many, in shock when I heard she had died. A friend had called to tell me that Diana had been in a car crash, so I had been following her progress on the news. Diana had been through so many other tragedies and challenges and had always pulled through, that I believed 100% that she would survive ... It was a shock to hear that she was gone.

After her death, one of my friends, who was the same age as Diana, commented that she felt lost without Diana. Like Diana, she was a single mom. I remember her saying that she was looking to Diana to show her how to survive life as a single parent, how to maybe find a second chance at love, and she was hoping that when the time came, Diana would redefine what it means to be a middleaged woman ...

For me, it was always comforting and encouraging to see the princess face many of the same challenges as we all face and still come out with a fighting spirit. Even when she had the RF, the establishment, the press, even members of her own family against her, she never gave up ... For me, that is the biggest lesson of her life.

Oops! I guess I've rambled on here :o , so I'll quit talking for now. I look forward to hearing other people's feelings on the life and death of Diana .

Thanks Tiaraprin for such a wonderful thread.:):)

selrahc4 08-13-2005 11:32 AM

I first heard that she was seriously injured in an automobile accident and soon after that she had perished. My thoughts were that it was strange and bizarre, almost beyond belief.

It had been just under a year before when husband had died suddenly and unexpectedly, and I recall thinking what a good thing the royal family were at Balmoral in privacy away from the public and the press.

In the week that followed I found the public wailing and mass crowd hysteria very embarrassing to watch. Looking back, I can see that it was probably cathartic for those involved.

I felt very sympathetic to The Queen in the following week.

portergirl 08-13-2005 01:37 PM

It seems like yesterday

It seems like yesterday that she passed away in many ways, and then again, it seems like it's been forever since I saw her face and her beautiful clothing, or read about some charity work she was doing. I was 8 years older than Diana so remember her very well. I was sitting in a restaurant with my boyfriend on Aug. 31 and the waitress said "Did you hear about Princess Diana?" Well I thought it was going to be a joke of some kind. Anyway, when she said, "She just died" I about passed out - couldn't believe it. Came home and watched television most of the rest of the night and into the next day. Then of course the funeral, etc. I was so sicked by the Queen and how she handled the whole thing. And I don't think she did right by the boys at all - you know they wanted to leave and go closer to their mother's body when it arrived back in London. I always credited Tony Blair with finally talking to the Queen and urging her to say something to the people to seem a little human. Even Charles was more human during those days - I think he truly felt some level of sadness.

iowabelle 08-13-2005 01:39 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your honest feelings and memories Alicky. I was 13 when Diana married Charles on July 29, 1981. My birthday had been 19 days before. I remember getting up with my Mom at 4am EST to watch the wedding. I was so bowled over when I saw her that day and have followed Diana throughout her life, her tragic death, and all the horrible events afterwards. She is my idol, my icon. I will never forget her or the positive impact she has had on my life.

Diana was just 2 years older than I, and I had always, for as long as I can remember, wanted to marry Prince Charles (in retrospect, how lucky was I that that fish got away! Besides, I'm Catholic, it would never have happened). I think I fell in love with her the first time I saw her (meaning, that I was just fascinated, thought she was wonderful -- I'm a straight female). I remember when she was pregnant with William that I had a little game I played with my Chinese pug dog. I was so excited about the coming royal baby. I'd say "Royal baby!" and grab the dog, hold him on his back like a baby and pretend to show him off to the imaginary photographers. Pretty soon, whenever I'd say something about the "Royal Baby", the dog would take off running!! (Sorry, Harry, I don't remember so much about your birthday-- other things were going on and it was in the fall, not the summer, so I was busy. :) )

I cried for at least a week when she died.

Squidgy 08-13-2005 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowabelle
I remember when she was pregnant with William that I had a little game I played with my Chinese pug dog. I was so excited about the coming royal baby. I'd say "Royal baby!" and grab the dog, hold him on his back like a baby and pretend to show him off to the imaginary photographers. Pretty soon, whenever I'd say something about the "Royal Baby", the dog would take off running!!

Thanks for the funny anecdote Iowabelle - it's great (although your dog obviously didn't think so!:D

corazon 08-13-2005 01:52 PM

August 31, 2005...............,8 years, 96 months, 2182 days. to share my feelings by diana is very hard. One night (I was 14 years old) of winter here, my mother said to me: says the radio that lady di gave had an accident and is serious. And with that news I went away to sleep. On the following day I saw in TV the DEATH OF the PRINCESS, my life changed then moment and never returned to be like before. Love, admiration, madness.....I don`t knew.......I love diana, I am still miss diana and I cry by diana every day of my life. I committed myself with his memory, I never promised to forget her (who knows can forget her ) and to maintain its memory alive. To my he hurts to see to me as he follows real history without diana, hurts to my the lack of respect towards her, hurts much to me. She changed my life, she changed like person and it becamein my guide and inspiration to me. Sorry for this one post so long, all the words is not sufficient to dedicate to diana, the most beautiful princess of the world, the unique princess, the sun that illuminates every day to us. To forget it? never love her ? to forever.
please, remenber diana's pain, diana's tears and DIANA'S smille, I love her smille, her eyes, her heart.
I love Diana just, I love diana until my death.

tiaraprin 08-13-2005 03:09 PM

Thank You for Sharing Your Thoughts and Feelings!

I want to thank everyone who has come and shared their heartfelt feelings and thoughts. I have truly been moved to tears by some of these posts, especially Squidgy's. Thank you Squidgy for your compliment.

It has been 8 years, but for many of us the pain still lingers. We still hurt. We often don't have the chance to unburden ourselves of the myriad of emotions that swirl within us around Diana's tragic death.

I want to take a moment to speak about the momentous work that Diana began shortly before her death in tackling the issue of landmines. This was and still is a truly worthy cause and Diana brought this issue to light worldwide.

Her visit to Angola was truly inspiring. She did not let fear prevent her from going out into the fields where active landmines still remained. She visited the injured and dying of these horrible devices. She gave all the people of Angola and the world hope. If she had lived, I wonder how much more would have been done to stop this scourge on humanity.

This was never a political issue for Diana. As she had often said, she was not a political animal. Diana was a humanitarian. Diana wanted to help people.

Nichola 08-13-2005 04:53 PM

I was thirteen when Diana died; but at the time of her death I did not know a great deal about her.

I was woke up on the Sunday morning by my mother, who was very upset because she admired Diana a lot, and had taken an interest in her since the 1980s. I can remember watching her coffin being brought from Paris by Charles and her sisters, and watching live footage, and her funeral on TV. I can remember feeling so sorry for William and Harry, who are around the same age as me; and being astonished at how brave they were at handling such a tragic situation.

It was following Diana's death and after reading newspaper articles that I began buying and reading royalty-related books, and my interest in royalty stemmed from that really.

I have since visited Althorp on two occasions. It was so lovely to get the opportunity to go!