The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Picture of the Month, Special Features, Blogs & Articles (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f86/)
-   -   Favorite Royal Residence Picture (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f86/favorite-royal-residence-picture-18057.html)

Empress 08-07-2008 02:36 PM

Favorite Royal Residence Picture

Welcome to the
August 2008 Informal Picture of the Month Poll Where we are showcasing Royal Homes!

In this months poll we have some really amazing homes, and some collages of the interior and exterior that our teams have put together!

The monthly official polls will highlight the un -official/historical and rarely seen side of royalty as opposed to the formal side of royalty.

The informal polls will consist of pictures that show a royal or some aspect of royal life historical or present that is more candid than our formal polls.
  • We hope by the end of the year to have some really stunning and regal Picture of the Month winners to compete in our 2008 Picture of the Year awards.
For more information on the 2008 Picture of the Month schedule and all we have planned for 2008, take a look at this thread.

If you have any ideas or suggestions for future polls you can post them there or contact Empress, Dazzling or Mandy.

This month, our Picture of the Month representatives had help in selecting their images with a small committee of their choosing. Below, you can see each royal house's representative (in bold) followed by their chosen committee members.

Belgium: - Marengo, stephanievl, Johann

Britain: TheTruth - Duchess, jcbcode99

Brunei/Dubai/Malaysia: Humera - Warren

Denmark: GlitteringTiaras - Jessrulz, Princess Robijn

Japan: Dragonsfire8, Vanesa

Jordan: Humera - Little_star, salma

Luxembourg: Jessrulz - grim_lady, kyansaunt20

Monaco: Iceflower - tbhrc, radker18,

Morocco: Humera – Warren

Norway: Her_Majesty - Kikkib, carlota, Atene, Rhapsody Brat

Spain: Paty, Cecile76

Sweden: Iceflower, Madame Royale,

The Netherlands: The Watcher, Marengo, Lucien

German Princely Families: Her_Majesty, Warren

The pictures of this poll reflect the official royal events of January. The poll will be open for three weeks. It will close on September 2, 2008. During these three weeks, we ask that no one state whom they've voted for so as not to influence other members as they make their choices. For the final week of the month, you can discuss as much as you'd like about which image you voted for and why.

Please note that the links in the above poll have been posted in the order in which they were received and do not reflect the opinions of the moderating team.

Enjoy and have fun! :flowers:
Empress, Mandy & Dazzling

Empress 08-07-2008 02:57 PM

A. Germany
Picture Link

Source: http://terre.sans.frontiere.free.fr/...re/top_100.htm

Catstel Neuschwanstein - The palace was commissioned by Ludwig II of Bavaria as a retreat and as a homage to Richard Wagner, the King's inspiring muse.

Although public photography of the interior is not permitted, it is the most photographed building in Germany. People often refer to it as "Märchenschloss" (Fairytale Castle).
"Disney" used it as inspiration for their famous logo.

B. Prussia
Picture Link

Source: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Co...side_Wikimedia

Schloss Charlottenburg - is the largest palace in Berlin and the only building in the city dating back to the time of the Hohenzollern Family.

The palace was built at the end of the 17th century and was greatly expanded during the 18th century. It includes much exotic internal decoration in baroque and rococo styles.
During the second World War the palace was badly damaged but has since been reconstructed.

C. Austria
Picture Link

Source: http://image58.webshots.com/658/5/0/94/2493500940046209414HEysSH_fs.jpg

Schönbrunn Palace (Schloss Schönbrunn) Vienna is one of the most important cultural monuments in Austria and since the 1860s has also been one of the major tourist attractions in Vienna. The palace and gardens illustrate the tastes, interests and aspirations of successive Habsburg monarchs.

D. Belgium
Picture Link

Source: Various

Laeken Castle, Brussels. More information here.

E. Norway
Picture Link

Source: kongehuset.no

Gamlehaugen is the King’s official residence in Bergen. Owned by the state and managed by western Norway regional office of the Directorate of Public Construction and Property, the building is at the disposal of the King.

F. Monaco
Picture Link

Source: Corbis

The Princely Palace of Monaco - The Palace is the official residence of the Prince of Monaco and was founded in 1191 as a Genoese fortress. Since 1297 it's the home of the Grimaldi family, as to the land shortage of Monaco it remained the only palace. The palace is a popular tourist attraction but also remains a fully working palace.

G. Sweden
Picture Link

Source: Bunte.de

The Palace of Solliden - The palace is situated on the Swedish island Oeland, its an Italian-styled white palace, built by Queen Victoria of Sweden from 1903-06. The palace is used as a summer residence by the Swedish Royal Family and the extensive gardens and parkland can be visited during summertime.

H. Spain
Picture Link

Source: Velo Touren

El Escorial Palace - One of the biggest and important palaces in Spain. In our days this palace is the tomb of all the Spanish kings and Queens.

I. Greece
Picture Link

Source: The Croquet Club of Corfu

Villa Mon Repos on the island of Corfu was a residence of the Greek Royal Family from 1864, when King George I took over the villa to use as his holiday home, until the monarchy was abolished in 1973. The villa is also the birth place of Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

J. Luxembourg
Picture Link

Source: Corbis

Fischbach Castle - Taken from the gardens, shows a residence of the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg. The castle was bought in 1850 by Grand Duke William II, then resold to Duke Adolphe of Nassau, the future Grand Duke, in 1884.

Empress 08-11-2008 11:48 AM

K. Great Britian
Picture Link

Source:

Sandringham Estate - The house was completed in 1870 and is widely considered to be a not successful design. Four generations of Sovereigns have lived here. King George V said it was his favorite place in the world, and it is where royal grandchildren got to run free. QEII spends the anniversary of her father's death here yearly, and also New Years. It is here that HRH Prince John (son of George V and Mary), penned the forgotten Prince, was born and where he died and is buried.

L. France
Picture Link

Source: Picalls

Chateau de Chambord - The Renaissance Castle of Chambord is one of the most important Castles of France, is made in French Renaissance style and merged with classical Italian architecture. The Palace was built by King Francois I and it was used as hunting palace and for large receptions.

M. The Netherlands
Picture Link

Source:(Pictures: Magdalena Monsch, Casey, Wim, Eric, Martin (Picasa); VVV; Paleis Het Loo; Rob Brouwer; Thijs (APF).

Palace Het Loo - is a former royal residence in Apeldoorn, The Netherlands. The palace was built starting in 1684 for Stadtholder William III and his consort, Mary II of England. For over three hundred years, Het Loo was the summer residence of the House of Orange-Nassau.

N. Saxony
Picture Link

Source: Saxony Tourist Board

Schloss Pillnitz - A summer residence of the Kings of Saxony on the banks of the Elbe, near Dresden. The palace complex is a mixture of the Baroque and Japanese style. The central pavilion (pictured) shows the Japanese influence, which is emphasised in the interior decoration.

O. Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (Germany)
Picture Link

Source: Wikipedia Free Use

Burg Hohenzollern - The ancestral castle of the Hohenzollern dynasty situated in the former Principality of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen in southern Germany. The original fortress was built in the 11th century but the castle as it appears today was constructed between 1846-1867 in a mixed design of English Neo-Gothic and French chateaux. The castle remains in the Hohenzollern family.

P. Japan
Picture Link

Source: The Imperial Household Agency

The Crown Prince's Residence

Q. Jordan
Picture Link

Source: Seegerpress, Corbis, Olycom

Raghadan Palace is located within the Royal Hashemite Court compound in the capital of Amman. It is surrounded by several other buildings including Basman Palace (contains the officesof King Abdullah II) and Al-Qasr Al-Sagheer (contains the offices of Queen Rania). Raghadan was once the home of King Abdullah I. Today it is used for official ceremonies and meetings between the King and visiting royalty, world leaders and dignitaries.

R. Malaysia
Picture Link

Source: Flickr, Infofoto, Malaysian Monarchy

Istana Negara - or the State/National Palace in Kuala Lumpur is the official residence of the King and Queen of Malaysia. Construction of a new State Palace is expected to be complete by 2009, after which the Istana Negara will most likely become a museum.

S. Morocco
Picture Link

Source: Corbis, Flickr

The Royal Palace of Rabat was built in 1864 and houses Morocco's government. Although the present King and his family do not reside at the Palace, it is the venue for important official events like the birth of Lalla Khadija, daughter of King Muhammad VI and his wife Lalla Salma.museum.

T. Turkey
Picture Link

Source: Corbis, Flickr

Topkapi or "Cannongate" Palace in Istanbul was the official residence and the center of government of the Ottoman dynasty for nearly four centuries. Construction began during the 15th century under Sultan Mehmet, the conqueror of Byzantine Constantinople, on the site of the old acropolis. The Palace complex is made up of many smaller buildings, several pavilions and four main courtyards and was once home to as many as 4000 people. Walls and ceilings in the entire complex are extensively decorated with beautiful Iznik tiles, Arabic calligraphy containing verses from the Holy Quran, and colourful murals.

The Sultan and the Imperial Family lived in the Harem; it has approximately 300 rooms, 9 hamams, 2 mosques, 1 hospital, dormitories and a laundry room. The Palace also has a library as well as the Pavilion of the Holy Mantle, which houses relics of Prophet Muhammad. Topkapi Palace formally became a museum in 1924 and today, only a small portion of this remarkable set of buildings is accessible to the public.

Empress 08-13-2008 09:59 AM

U. Brunei
Picture Link

Source:Infofoto

Largest Palace/residence in the World - Istana Nurul Iman or the Nurul Iman Palace is the home of Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah and the Royal Family of Brunei.

V. Egypt
Picture Link

Source:Egyptian Presidency, Flickr

Abdeen Palace served as the seat of government and was the center of the Egyptian royal court during the Muhammad Ali Pasha Dynasty. Khedive Ismail initiated the construction of the Palace in 1863 and officially inaugurated it in 1874. Although never really used as a permanent residence by the royal family, the Palace was an important venue for official ceremonies during the 20th century like the wedding of Princess Fawzia of Egypt and Crown Prince Muhammad Reza Pahlavi of Iran in 1939. Today the Palace serves chiefly as a museum; its upper floors (former living quarters of the royal family) are used to house visiting foreign dignitaries

W. Iran
Picture Link

Source: Flickr, Golestanpalace.ir

Located in Tehran, Golestan (Flower garden) Palace was built during the time of the Safavid dynasty in the 16th century. It became the official residence of the Qajar royal family during the 18th century. The Pahlavis used it for formal receptions and official ceremonies, most notably the coronations of Reza Khan and Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. The Palace complex contains several buildings adorned with exquisite colourful tiles and mirror mosaics. It now serves as a museum

Empress 08-13-2008 10:00 AM

Hello All, Please see that we have some late entries.

sgl 08-13-2008 10:23 AM

This was a fun poll. It was hard to make a decision with so many beautiful choices.

LaPlusBelle 08-14-2008 02:22 AM

It's so hard to choose! Can we have a favorite past royal residence and a favorite present royal residence poll? :-D

Princess Mahala 08-14-2008 05:45 AM

:ohmy: very beautiful places and pics. its very hard choosing. i really like the raghdan picturs but the a&e middle one is actuly nadwa. :smile:

Butterwicke 08-14-2008 08:59 PM

Such a great collection of photos to chose from!

I have to say I found the Schloss Pillnitz of Saxonyutterly fascinating from an architectural standpoint. I love the blending of Baroque and Japanese styles. Very unexpected!

I live near the Busch Gardens Tampa theme park, which is African-themed. The first section of the park is based on Morocco, and I never realized till now how much its main entrance is styled to look just like the Royal Palace of Rabat. I'm somewhat stunned now looking at the photo and recalling the park entrance and noticing the similarly of the two.

ER1 08-15-2008 05:18 PM

Great Pics, but why no Russian entry??? Peterhof could be a very nice contender or The Great Catherine Palace...

Empress 08-15-2008 11:51 PM

We are all volunteers here, and unfortunately no one volunteered for Russia for this poll. If you would like to volunteer for Russia for future polls, please PM myself or dazzling.

Vanesa 08-16-2008 08:03 PM

All these are wonderful. I like all of them. But since I must to pick only one, I finally did. I choose one who was a complete surprise for me, since I didn't know it.

But I'm very sadened by the poor condition Cricket Castle of Corfu is...:ohmy:

Vanesa.

Al_bina 08-16-2008 11:08 PM

Special thanks to all, who put together this poll!
German and French castles captivate me by organically combining both artistic elements and strong structure meant to defend residents.
The fact that Japan is represented by the residence of Crown Prince Naruhito slightly disappoints me. It comes as no surprise that the Crown Princely residence is favoured over other castles in Japan. Indeed, the above residence is a true reflection of the essential Japanese: unadorned, unfussed with, pristine simplicity that is very difficult to achieve ... in my extremely biased opinion...
At the same time, there are magnificent historic Japanese castles that show architectural uniqueness.
For instance:
Himeji Castle (my personal favourite, I find this castle quite poetic)
Image:OsakaCastleM0704.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Image:Kokura castle from the Japanese garden.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Image:Nagoya Castle(Edit2).jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Empress 08-26-2008 11:04 AM

Please remember not to discuss which picture you have voted for until the voting ends.

Lilla 08-26-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al_bina (Post 812402)
At the same time, there are magnificent historic Japanese castles that show architectural uniqueness.
For instance:
Himeji Castle (my personal favourite, I find this castle quite poetic)
Image:OsakaCastleM0704.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Image:Kokura castle from the Japanese garden.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Image:Nagoya Castle(Edit2).jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the pics Al-bina. These are indeed beautiful and magnificent castles:flowers:

Little_star 08-27-2008 05:29 PM

Wow, these photos are beautiful and it's incredibly difficult to choose one-I am still deliberating.

I love the very different styles, especially the marked differences between many of the European castles and the muslim palaces.

Her_Majesty 09-03-2008 04:37 AM

The Voting Time is over.

Winning Picture of the Royal Residence Poll:

(1) Germany - Schloss Neuschwanstein - Thanks for your votes!
http://terre.sans.frontiere.free.fr/..._1_modifie.jpg
:germanyflag:

(2) France - Chateau de Chambord
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5...dfrancerl2.jpg

(3) Spain- El Escorial Palace
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7...t18b28cbe1.jpg

Feel free to discuss your choices. :smile:

Little_star 09-03-2008 01:43 PM

I had a feeling THE fairytale castle would win!

Her_Majesty 09-04-2008 01:09 PM

Here are some more beautiful pictures of Neuschwanstein :flowers:
http://i35.tinypic.com/fvae0i.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/mx0krq.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/2d6uz4z.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/2ziofmr.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/k312yv.jpg
Corbis

I love the surroundings. The castel and the countryside look like taken from a fairytale book.

Al_bina 09-04-2008 10:52 PM

Chateau de Chambord makes me recall the Valois times: a strong, yet graceful structure.