The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Prince Charles's interest in architecture and urban planning (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f44/prince-charless-interest-in-architecture-and-urban-planning-17881.html)

pollyemma 10-26-2005 08:44 AM

Prince Charles's interest in architecture and urban planning

from The Washington Post

Prince Charles to Accept Scully Prize at Building Museum

Wednesday, October 26, 2005; Page C10
Prince Charles will accept the prestigious Vincent Scully Prize at the National Building Museum while making an official visit to Washington with his wife, Camilla, next week.
In announcing the award yesterday, the museum sought to recognize the prince's long-standing interest in architecture and urban planning.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...nlarge_tab.gif
http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-d...5102501515.jpg Prince Charles will be honored for his efforts toward historical preservation and urban planning. (Matt Dunham - AP)

Skydragon 02-16-2008 04:47 PM

THE Prince of Wales has found a fresh target for his withering hatred of modern architecture. He branded a university building where he was addressing a gathering of paratroopers today a “dustbin”.
The oval-shaped Ivor Crewe building at Essex university in Colchester was described by an architectural critic recently as a building which “surprises and shines with its unusual design and the material mix of stainless steel and glass.

Prince Charles says modern architecture is rubbish - Times Online

:rofl::rofl:

Mermaid1962 02-16-2008 06:17 PM

With the North American term it sounds even worse--the paratroopers would be meeting in a "garbage can." :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 730392)

Skydragon 02-17-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 (Post 730414)
With the North American term it sounds even worse--the paratroopers would be meeting in a "garbage can." :lol:

Apparently, they were all in fits of laughter over his very apt description! :rofl:

Skydragon 02-17-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milla Ca (Post 730682)
...and the ´dustbin´...the comparison isn´t so bad, i think...:cool::lol:
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

The comparison really is an insult to dustbins everywhere! :rofl::rofl:

Elspeth 02-18-2008 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 730723)
The comparison really is an insult to dustbins everywhere! :rofl::rofl:

It really is. What on earth were they thinking?

Mind you, some modern architecture is beautiful, and I wish Charles wouldn't paint with such a broad brush when he criticises it. There are cities that have been greatly enhanced by IM Pei's buildings, for example. Between the Dulles Airport building and the extension to the art gallery, I'd say Washington DC has been improved by modern architecture.

Skydragon 06-05-2008 10:45 AM

As a vociferous cheerleader for the environment and certain types of classical architecture, Prince Charles has never been afraid of a challenge.

Charles takes on China to save Ming dynasty houses from Beijing's concrete carbuncles | Environment | The Guardian

They are names that evoke sun- drenched orchards lost in the mists of time... Bloody Ploughman, Forty Shillings and Duck's Bill.
But apples such as these, long absent from our fruit bowls, could be making a comeback - thanks to Prince Charles.

Royal to the core: Charles aims to rescue long-lost apple varieties| News | This is London

Avalon 06-05-2008 02:30 PM

I guess that's what I like about Prince Charles: he's never been afraid of challange and always went for what he thought was right.
Thank you for posting the articles, Skydragon! :flowers:

kimebear 07-19-2008 10:57 PM

It's great to see him interested in perserving not only British architecture, but in other nations as well. Just in time for the Olympics too! :flowers:

milla Ca 08-05-2008 01:49 PM

Over 1000 heritage buildings in Caithness are worthy of restoration

5th August 2008

A new report launched by HRH The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay today (Tuesday 5th August 2008) identifies 1350 vernacular buildings in Caithness worthy of restoration.

The Prince of Wales - Over 1000 heritage buildings in Caithness are worthy of restoration

Roslyn 08-05-2008 06:59 PM

His willingness to take a stand and say what he thinks about these matters is one of the things that has always endeared me to Prince Charles. His opinions might not always be right, but he has them and is prepared to state them and, perhaps more importantly, do something about it.

I'm particularly keen on his position regarding the apples. I had a collection of about 30 heritage apple varieties in Sydney, but couldn't bring them when we moved north because the winters aren't cold enough. To my great pleasure I found two low-chill "tropical" apple trees in the garden here. There are apple varieties which can be traced back to Roman times. They all have a story and are part of British history, and I applaud Charles' decision to preserve them to ensure they remain in cultivation.

Skydragon 08-08-2008 03:13 PM

A new eco-friendly village inspired by one set up by Prince Charles in Dorset is to be created in Flintshire.

BBC NEWS | Wales | North East Wales | Royal village inspires developers

Warren 08-08-2008 03:34 PM

:previous:
Two quotes from the article. Members with longer memories will recall the criticism Poundbury received from modern architects at the time of its development.

The Poundbury community in Dorset was chosen as a model for the new development in Croes Atti on former farmland near Oakenholt.

"Prince Charles's original concept was laughed at at first but has proved very popular, most importantly with the people who live there."

Who's had the last laugh? :biggrin:

milla Ca 08-31-2008 01:59 AM

Prince Charles will not let Titians go abroad

Having saved one of Britain's most remarkable stately homes for the nation by an 11th-hour intervention, the Prince of Wales may now be considering a similar rescue for the pair of Titian paintings put up for sale by the Duke of Sutherland last week.

Mandrake: Prince Charles will not let Titians go abroad - Telegraph

Emeralds and Opals 03-30-2009 04:08 AM

Pictured: What happens when you let a prince design a fire station | Mail Online

Skydragon 03-30-2009 04:44 AM

:previous: You get something that is worth admiring!:flowers:

Incas 03-30-2009 10:56 AM

Not sure why the resident quoted in the article criticizing the design. After all, the rest of the buildings in Poundbury are similarly styled. And one would assume anyone choosing to live there preferred the architectures, not just the off chance to see the royal landlord.

Emeralds and Opals 03-31-2009 02:48 PM

Prince of Wales to follow up 'carbuncle' architecture speech after 25 years - Telegraph

:flowers:

Skydragon 04-01-2009 10:37 AM

Given the date we were very dubious about this one, but it appears to be true: the next in line to the throne, a man well known for his particular views on the nation's built environment,

Prince Charles To Lecture At RIBA - Londonist: London News, Food, Arts & Events

BellaFay 04-01-2009 02:46 PM

Contrary to the Londonist's comment that the extension to the National Gallery was never built, it was, but simply to a different design to the one criticised as a 'carbuncle'. As the latter 'carbuncle' design included a large section of curved walling it's just as well. As I work in an art gallery myself I think I'd go mad if I was expected to hang flat 2-d rectangular paintings on a curved wall!!!
The critic who is mentioned as complaining about the fire-station is editor of a modernist magazine called Icon that publishes articles in favour of intensive horticulture - so not surprisingly his view of anything that involves Prince Charles is critical!