The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   Prince Harry Current Events 23: July 2008-May 2009 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/prince-harry-current-events-23-july-2008-may-2009-a-17706.html)

Elspeth 07-09-2008 01:46 AM

Prince Harry Current Events 23: July 2008-May 2009

Welcome to part 20 of the thread to discuss Prince Harry's current events.

The old thread, covering November 2007 to July 2008, is here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...8-a-14669.html

Avicenna 08-06-2008 10:21 AM

Al-Qaeda cell targets Prince Harry

Al-Qaeda cell target Prince Harry | News | News of the World

Anyone knows how reliable this paper is?

kimebear 08-06-2008 10:46 AM

NOTW is a tabloid, about as reliable as any other. They have all been speculating that Harry would be a target ever since it was revealed that he was serving in Afghanistan. It probably is true to a certain extent.

Skydragon 08-06-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avicenna (Post 807824)
Al-Qaeda cell target Prince Harry | News | News of the World

Anyone knows how reliable this paper is?

The NoTW are considered 'bottom feeders' and 'sleazy' by many in the UK. The four personal protection offices do not appear to be doing anything more than the usual rotation when he is in the UK and as he has been abroad, I doubt the accuracy of their 'source'. If he only managed to 'direct' 3 air strikes, he ought to be considered for more training!:whistling:

Avicenna 08-07-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 807895)
The NoTW are considered 'bottom feeders' and 'sleazy' by many in the UK. The four personal protection offices do not appear to be doing anything more than the usual rotation when he is in the UK and as he has been abroad, I doubt the accuracy of their 'source'. If he only managed to 'direct' 3 air strikes, he ought to be considered for more training!:whistling:

Thanks, Skydragon, for the quick answer.

Bottom feeders! :lol: nice expression. I am definitly brushing up my english on this website. Thanks for this, too.

Warren 08-08-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avicenna (Post 808204)
Bottom feeders! :lol: nice expression. I am definitly brushing up my english on this website. Thanks for this, too.

The term "bottom feeder" refers to the marine or aquatic creatures that feed off the bottom of the ocean, river, lake, aquarium etc. It is now used colloquially to describe con men, low-life and sleazy pursuits, and can be applied to the worst of the gutter press.

iowabelle 08-08-2008 03:53 PM

How funny that you have "bottom feeders" in Australia, too, Warren! One of my beginning lawyer friends, a very nice individual, used to refer to himself as a "bottom feeder".

Warren 08-08-2008 04:21 PM

Yes, I should have included ambulance-chasing lawyers in the list. :flowers:

Mermaid1962 08-09-2008 05:09 PM

And that's precisely why I don't like lobster!!!!:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren (Post 808618)
The term "bottom feeder" refers to the marine or aquatic creatures that feed off the bottom of the ocean, river, lake, aquarium etc. It is now used colloquially to describe con men, low-life and sleazy pursuits, and can be applied to the worst of the gutter press.

ghost_night554 08-25-2008 01:59 AM

Harry watched the Olympics ceremony from the top of BP
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1603054.ece

Skydragon 08-29-2008 05:01 PM

The 23-year-old army officer spent 10 weeks in war-torn Afghanistan at the beginning of the year and has made no secret of his desire to serve again in a conflict zone.

Young royal Prince Harry returns to army duties in Afghanistan | UK News | Sky News

Royal Fan 08-29-2008 11:59 PM

If he can be protected and everything taken care of and hes treatedlike regular Lt why not.

MARG 08-30-2008 04:26 AM

:previous: That is the whole point. If it were not for paparazzi he would not need protection any more than any other soldier. :censored:

There was Harry happily doing his job, not his first choice because the media blew that for him, but still doing what he is trained for, and along comes some bottom-dwelling journo who accidentally exposed his disguise :ninja:. Yeah right! :evil:

It is the media who ensure that he actually "needs" protection, by blowing his cover (unintentionally of course :hornets: ) and in so doing "creating their next headline/bottomline" about how Prince Harry has to be removed from danger in the front lines because the enemy now know precisely who he is, where he is and what he is doing. :bang:

They will rattle on about how he really shouldn't have been there in the first place because it is dangerous and it costs heaps to mount an emergency extraction when it wouldn't have been necessary if he just stayed home in the first place. :dizzy:

The fact that tracking him to Bijou's rather that Afghanistan is a lot cheaper and less personally dangerous to any high minded journo who is just doing their job trying to show the working-class that all royalty are booze swilling horray henry's who should really be earning their keep doing something really important for their country. Something like . . . . oh I don't know, maybe joining the Army and fighting for Queen and Country. :doh:

Give me strength! It's dinner and my :wine: is waiting for me!

Warren 08-30-2008 03:24 PM

Marg, I'm sure you can find more of those smilie things if you look hard enough. There's no point in having your post looking underdone. :smile:
There are some lines looking positively smilie-deficient!

MARG 08-30-2008 07:59 PM

:previous: I know, I know! What can I say? I think I'm addicted to them, especially when venting my spleen. Saves labouring the brain cells to think of suitably appropriate invective! :hiding:

I really have to work hard to keep the hampster from falling off the wheel! :hamster:

Elspeth 08-30-2008 11:59 PM

Mind you, I think there's a lot to be said for the theory that if Harry's in England it's a lot easier for the journalists than if he's in Afghanistan.

Oh, and Marg - that post only had nine smilies. The limit is ten. No wonder Warren thought it was looking deficient...:biggrin:

Harry's polo shirt 08-31-2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monika_ (Post 807664)
Mandela had a lot of respect and admiration for Diana and he even insisted on paying his respects at her grave. Now we read about Harry's trip and his feelings regarding Mandela. I find that very interesting...

Harry makes pilgrimage to the cell where his hero served 18 years

you know.. i think it wonderful that Prince Harry (and Prince William) do things like that for themselves and their education of the world and history. Instead of just doing things like that for photos like many others.

Skydragon 08-31-2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Fan (Post 817047)
If he can be protected and everything taken care of and hes treated like regular Lt why not.

He isn't though, is he. He was treated like .... Royalty, with his own guards! :whistling:

Incas 09-07-2008 10:16 PM

Harry Sheene | The Sun |News|Royals
PRINCE Harry is riding a 175mph superbike after passing his motorcycle test, The Sun can reveal.

Avicenna 09-08-2008 11:35 AM

Prince William and Prince Harry make their motorcycle trek into Africa - Telegraph

Disguise for another Afghanistan trip?