The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Royal Marriage Proposals (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/royal-marriage-proposals-17549.html)

Maura724 06-26-2008 08:42 PM

Royal Marriage Proposals

Does anyone know the proposal stories for any of the royal couples? :wub:

cosette minette 06-26-2008 10:39 PM

Apparently, When Charles proposed to Diana for the first few minutes she thought it was a joke!(But I don't know how true this is)

LadyK 06-27-2008 10:25 AM

one of my favorite stories (because it's so funny!) is King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia:

When Juan Carlos proposed to Sofia, they were sitting somewhere and JC pulled out the ring and said "Sofi, catch!"

Maura724 06-27-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyK (Post 792126)
When Juan Carlos proposed to Sofia, they were sitting somewhere and JC pulled out the ring and said "Sofi, catch!"

And did she catch it? ;)

Moonmaiden23 06-27-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

one of my favorite stories (because it's so funny!) is King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia:

I love that story!

TheTruth 06-27-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosette minette (Post 791988)
Apparently, When Charles proposed to Diana for the first few minutes she thought it was a joke!(But I don't know how true this is)

From what I've read, she just couldn't stop laughing and realized it was true and said 'Yes'.

marmi 07-04-2008 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTruth (Post 792223)
From what I've read, she just couldn't stop laughing and realized it was true and said 'Yes'.

I hadnt heard that :whistling:

According to norwegianne here and here:

Quote:

Joachim proposed this summer when they were on vacation in Turkey.
Quote:

Joachim asked Marie's grandmother, mother and father for permission to marry her.

Moonmaiden23 07-08-2008 12:09 PM

Charles-Philippe d'Orleans took Diane de Cadaval to the foot of the pyramids late at night on the evening of her 29th birthday (July 29th) last year and proposed.

That guy really does things BIG!

King Baudouin proposed to Dona Fabiola de Mora y Aragon at the shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes in France on July 8th 1960. They kept their engagement a secret until the public announcement at Ciergnan Castle in Sept of the same year.

yolandenanji 07-08-2008 12:40 PM

Royal Proposals

According to historian, Stefane Groueff (crown of Thorns) , the way King Boris propsed to Q. Giovanna was very interesting. In 1927, two days after his first meeting with Q. Giovanna K. Boris's brother ( P. Kyril) asked Q. Giovanna's sister (P Maria) if Giovanna would marry his brother. According to the author K. Boris kept talking to P. Kyril about Giovanna all night long on their way back to the palace P giovanna's father provided for them . It's a strange way to propose to a lady. I thing K. Boris was shy.

marmi 09-07-2008 12:57 AM

I have a feeling that Frederik proposed to Mary in Rome, but I have no idea why I think that or where I read it, so could very easily be wrong.
Also seem to recall them saying that it was 'traditional'.

Angelica 09-07-2008 04:56 AM

Quote:

I love it! That was a unique marriage proposal!

Angelica 09-07-2008 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmi (Post 820072)
I have a feeling that Frederik proposed to Mary in Rome, but I have no idea why I think that or where I read it, so could very easily be wrong.
Also seem to recall them saying that it was 'traditional'.

No no, it's true! Both Frederik and Mary confirmed that later! And Frederik said he did it the old-fashioned way with kneeling and asking her to marry him.:wub:

Royal Fan 09-09-2008 05:13 PM

what about The Tsar Nicholas II The Queen the Earl of Wessex and the Duke of York Prince Andrew?

TLLK 09-10-2008 12:49 AM

As I recall W-A proposed to Maxima after he took her ice skating. She didn't realize that he had champagne and the ring waiting after the lesson.

EmpressRouge 09-10-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Fan (Post 821319)
what about The Tsar Nicholas II The Queen the Earl of Wessex and the Duke of York Prince Andrew?

From what I've read about Nicholas' proposal to Alix, it was more of an ordeal than romantic. Nicholas spent a 2 or 3 days (after many years) in the 1894 wedding of Alix's brother Grand Duke Ernest Louis of Hesse to their first cousin Victoria Melita of Edinburgh, trying to persuade Alix to marry him. There was quite a lot of tears shed while Alix had to choose between faith and love. It wasn't that she did not love or want to marry him. She did not want to give up her Lutheran religion and convert to Russian Orthodoxy. Eventually (with encouragement from her sister Grand Duchess Ella) she agreed and became a fervent convert, for better or for worse.

auntie 09-10-2008 01:45 PM

I wonder how they asked: Will you be my wife/princess/queen of the castle?!

crownprincessrhey 11-29-2008 10:36 AM

I like juan carlos' way...that is romantic for me....what about the prince of asturias..how did he propose?

sgl 11-30-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 821438)
As I recall W-A proposed to Maxima after he took her ice skating. She didn't realize that he had champagne and the ring waiting after the lesson.

This is so sweet and down to earth! I have never before read about the proposal. I like that he did it in such a modern way.

emmeleia 12-17-2008 09:39 AM

I think that Sofia fell for King JC' s humour and vigorous temperament...

morhange 02-04-2009 04:12 AM

After Constantine II proposed to Anne-Marie and she told him not to tell her parents yet. When Constantine finally told King Frederik he intended to marry his youngest daughter, the king locked him in the toilet until he could find his wife and tell her the news!