The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Albert II and Queen Paola (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f181/)
-   -   Queen Paola speaking Italian (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f181/queen-paola-speaking-italian-17027.html)

Marchesina 05-15-2008 11:45 AM

Queen Paola speaking Italian

I know that she speaks very few on the tv and I also know that she speaks a bad Dutch but I'm so curious of hearing HM Queen Paola speak her mother language,Italian. But I couldn't find anything. Does anyone have videos of her?

martha-louise 05-15-2008 12:21 PM

The queen spoke a lot of Italian in the documentary that was made by één
één - de stem van de koningin - het programma
Here you find some information about it (in Dutch)

It was possible to order the DVD.

Rice 05-16-2008 11:06 PM

Sort of "on topic" I believe I read somewhere that her grandchildren call her Nonna (grandma in Italian) I wonder what they call theKing?

Marchesina 05-17-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rice (Post 766789)
Sort of "on topic" I believe I read somewhere that her grandchildren call her Nonna (grandma in Italian) I wonder what they call theKing?

If that you say it is true, it would be very funny and sweet. After MAMMA(mum in Italian) I don't know a sweeter word in Italian than NONNA:wub:, I assure you!!! Also, I think that the princes call the king "papie"(grandpa in French), otherwise NONNO (Italian rules;))!!!

paola 05-17-2008 11:10 AM

As far as I know it is still possible to order the DVD. Just google with: The stem van de Koningin [Dutch] or Paola, Paroles de Reine [French]

In the documentary Queen Paola herself tells that she is always so happy when her grandchildren say to her "Nonni, we always enjoy eating your meals"[rough translation].

She doesn't tell what they call their grandfather. "Bonpa" perhaps.

alterego 05-19-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paola (Post 766949)
She doesn't tell what they call their grandfather. "Bonpa" perhaps.

I don't think they would call him "Bonpa" as it is a French speaking family instead of Flemish... :tongue:

Tilla 11-11-2008 10:29 AM

Perhaps, the children call King Albert "Nono". This also usual in the French language.

giov 11-11-2008 01:08 PM

I am not surprised if Paola's grandchildren call her Nonna. I guess that Astrid's children do, considering that both their grandmothers are Italian.
Quote:

Originally Posted by shakhim (Post 851389)
ita lia since ages the princesse lia used to live in italia lia is one of the princesse wife of saint prophet jacob .lia in arabic mean something that belong to me .

shakhim, in case you meant that the name Italia derives from Princess Lia, I am afraid you are wrong. The name Italia has nothing to do do with Princess Lia.
There are different theories about the origin of the word Italia. Its origin is said to be either Greek or Latin, or maybe both Greek and Latin, but absolutely not Arabic.
:smile:

Especioso 03-17-2010 01:06 PM

As far as I know it is still possible to order the DVD. Just google with: The stem van de Koningin or Paola, Paroles de Reine In the documentary Queen Paola herself tells that she is always so happy when her grandchildren say to her "Nonni, we always enjoy eating your meals

captainmooreway 03-18-2010 06:44 PM

Is it possible for anyone to upload some pieces of it?, just to hear her.

lucien 03-19-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martha-louise (Post 766082)
The queen spoke a lot of Italian in the documentary that was made by één
één - de stem van de koningin - het programma
Here you find some information about it (in Dutch)

It was possible to order the DVD.

Oh that was just wonderfull!She has such a beautifull voice.

Lina RdC 03-31-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucien (Post 1061118)
Oh that was just wonderfull!She has such a beautifull voice.

You’re definitively right, Lucien. She has indeed a beautiful voice –such an appealing mélange of her articulate Italian accent, her vivid intonation and yet that kind of velvety sound (particularly striking when she’s speaking French). Watching the DVD I also got the impression that her voice hardly changed over the decades, which is pretty amazing (and every singer’s dream when he or she is getting older, I suppose). It seems to me that her voice nicely suits her facial expression, e.g. her smile, which is likewise a fascinating mixture of vivacious temperament, modesty and tenderness i.m.o. :flowers:

Renata4711 07-16-2011 08:32 AM

Wikipedia article on the meaning of the name "Italy":

Italy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

leidi 09-10-2012 02:50 AM

I just found this link:

http://www.deredactie.be/permalink/1.551662

you can hear Queen Paola speaking in Italian :flowers:

episcogal 01-10-2013 04:31 AM

Thank you too much for that! I really enjoyed it.

Rice 01-10-2013 11:14 AM

I may of missed this somewhere along the way in the threads, but is it safe to assume Prince Philippe, Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent all speak Italian as well?

Anne2 01-11-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rice (Post 1503634)
I may of missed this somewhere along the way in the threads, but is it safe to assume Prince Philippe, Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent all speak Italian as well?

I am from Belgium, but never really heard them speaking; my guess is rather they understand but not sure they speak fluently.

Sensibility 01-14-2013 09:00 AM

I have never heard her talking