The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Picture of the Month, Special Features, Blogs & Articles (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f86/)
-   -   Royal Jewel Photo Poll (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f86/royal-jewel-photo-poll-16974.html)

Empress 05-11-2008 08:44 PM

Royal Jewel Photo Poll

Welcome to the May 2008 Royal Jewels Poll - PLEASE NOTE THAT SOME OF THE PHOTOS ARE PORTRAITS. TAKE A MOMENT TO LOOK IN THE DESCRIPTIONS AND YOU WILL ALSO FIND MODERN DAY REFERENCE PHOTOS.

The monthly un-official polls will highlight the fun/historical or any other side of royalty as opposed to the formal side of royalty.

These polls are meant to showcase some of the less seen photos, and also to give out members a chance to see photos from some of the defunct or non ruling houses.

For more information on the 2008 Picture of the Month schedule and all we have planned for 2008, take a look at this thread.

If you have any ideas or suggestions for future polls you can post them there or contact Empress, Dazzling, or Mandy.

This month, our Picture of the Month representatives had help in selecting their images with a small committee of their choosing. Below, you can see each royal house's representative (in bold) followed by their chosen committee members.

Belgium: - Marengo, stephanievl, Johann

Britain: Avalon, TheTruth - milla Ca,
Brunei/Dubai/Malaysia: Humera - Warren

Denmark: GlitteringTiaras - Jessrulz, Princess Robijn

Japan: Dragonsfire8,

Jordan: Humera - Little_star, salma

Luxembourg: Jessrulz - grim_lady, kyansaunt20

Monaco: Iceflower - tbhrc, radker18, sgl

Morocco: Humera – Warren

Norway: Her_Majesty - Kikkib, carlota, Atene, Rhapsody Brat

Spain: Anna_R - crisiñaki, Paty

Sweden: Iceflower,- Madame Royale, HRH Kerry

The Netherlands: The Watcher, Marengo, Lucien

German Princely Families: GlitteringTiaras,

Liechtenstein: HRH Kerry

The pictures of this poll reflect the official royal events of January. The poll will be open for three weeks. It will close on June 3, 2008. During these three weeks, we ask that no one state whom they've voted for so as not to influence other members as they make their choices. For the final week of the month, you can discuss as much as you'd like about which image you voted for and why.

Please note that the links in the above poll have been posted in the order in which they were received and do not reflect the opinions of the moderating team.

PLEASE GIVE A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE MEMBERS WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THIS POLL, AND THOSE THAT HAVE TAKEN THE TIME TO LOOK FOR THESE PHOTOS.

HUMERA, GLITTERING TIARAS, ICEFLOWER, HER_MAJESTY, THE TRUTH, HAVE ALL CONTRIBUTED TO THE NON REIGNING HOUSES.

Empress 05-12-2008 04:39 PM

A. Russia
Picture Link
Source: http://www.rollins.edu/Foreign_Lang/Russian/antropov.html

The Great Imperial Crown made by Jeremia Posier for Empress Catherine II of Russia. It's composed of 5,000 Indian diamonds (4,836 according to some Russian sources). It also counts one of the seven historic stones of the Russia's Diamond Collection - a large precious red spinel weighing 398.72 carats which was brought to Russia by Nicholas Spafary. More information and a present day photo can be found here: http://famousdiamonds.tripod.com/greatimperialcrown.jpg

B. France
Picture Link
Source: Getty Images

Napoleon's Imperial Crown (aka the Crown of Charlemagne). It is made of eight half-arches which meet at a golden globe (to respect the norm of European crown), on top of which is placed a crucifix. The medieval style dominates this crown, in opposition to the fashionable diamond crowns of the late 19th century. A modern day photo can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/marknewell/371100790/sizes/o/

C. Yugoslavia
Picture Link
Source: http://www.royalfamily.org/

On this picture, you can see HM Marija and HM King Aleksander I. He governed Yugoslavia for 13 years before being shot to death by a revolution leader in 1934. Queen Marija (later renamed Queen Mother) gave some of her time to charities and humanitarian work after the death of her husband. Their son, Peter, became King of Yugoslavia.

D. Romania
Picture Link
Source : Copyright Expired, Picture in public domaine

Queen Helen of Romania (neé Princess of Greece) 1934 wearing the Queen Sophie of Greece Diamond Tiara.

E. Liechtenstein
Picture Link
Source : APL

Princess Tatjana of Liechtenstein wearing the Kinsky Heirloom Tiara on her wedding day, June 5th, 1999. It's a diamond tiara of palmettes and spikes that are topped with pearls.

F. Greece
Picture Link
Source: Hola

Princess Anne Marie ( now Queen Anne Marie of Greece) wears the Khedive of Egypt Cartier Tiara on her wedding day, 18 September 1964. The diamond and platinum Cartier tiara was originally a wedding gift from the Khedive of Egypt to Princess Margaret of Connaught, who married the future King Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden in 1905. She later gave it to her daughter Queen Ingrid, Anne Marie’s mother. The tiara has been worn by Queen Margerethe, Princess Benedikte, Princess Alexia and Princess Alexandra of Berleburg on their weddings as well.

G. The Netherlands
Picture Link
Source:http://www.palaces.thai.net/

Princess Máxima, in this picture wearing the Diamond Bandeau Tiara. The very old diamonds of this simple but stunning tiara were taken from the rivière of 34 large rose cut diamonds (part of Queen Emma's wedding gift).

H. Belgium
Picture Link
Source: N Welsh for Cartier

The diamond Cartier tiara was bought in 1912 by Queen Elisabeth of the Belgians. After Elisabeth's death it was inherited by her son King Leopold III, who sold the tiara to Cartier later. The tiara is now on display in exhibitions all over the world.

I. Denmark
Picture Link
Source:

A then Mary Donaldson wearing the Queen Desirée Diamond and Ruby Parure which previously belonged to the late Queen Ingrid of Denmark. HRH Crown Prince Frederik in herited the parure from his Grandmother so that his future wife would wear it. The image is from the May 11, 2004 gala dinner, during Wedding Week, at Christiansborg's Slot. This is the first time Mary wore this amazing piece

J. Norway
Picture Link
Source: Kongehuset

The AMETHYST NECKLACE TIARA is a convertible diamond and amethyst tiara. The tiara was a birthday gift to Queen Sonja from King Harald. The tiara can also be worn as a necklace.

Empress 05-12-2008 04:39 PM

K. Japan
Picture Link
Source:

Crown Princess Massako after her 1993 marriage to Crown Prince Naruhito.

L. Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
Picture Link
Source:

Princess Natalie of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg wearing the Star Tiara. This piece belongs to S-W-B House and has been worn previously by her mother, Princess Benedikte of Denmark and Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg

M. Schaumburg-Lippe
Picture Link
Source:

Princess Nadja wears the Schaumburg-Lippe Tiara during her wedding to Prince Alexander zu Schaumburg-Lippe on June 30, 2007 in Bueckeburg, Germany.

N. Sweden
Picture Link
Source: Corbis

Queen Silvia of Sweden wearing the Connaught tiara at the Nobel Prize ceremony on December 10, 1977 in Stockholm, Sweden. It’s a diamond-set-tiara in the form of loops of forget-me-not flowers secured by bows from which hang diamond drops. It’s been a wedding gift for Princess Margaret of Connaught when she married the future King Gustav Adolf in 1905.

O. Monaco
Picture Link
Source: Hola

Princess Caroline of Hanover, Princess of Monaco, posing for a portrait at the Princely Palace in Monte Carlo, Monaco, in the 1980s. She’s wearing the Cartier tiara of her grandmother Princess Charlotte of Monaco. It’s a tiara of scrolling diamond arches and swinging pearl drops and has been a wedding present from Princess Charlotte’s husband in 1920. In addition to that Princess Caroline is wearing a “Tiara Russe” as a necklace that has also been owned by her grandmother.

P. Luxembourg
Picture Link
Source: ANP

Grand Duchess Maria Teresa wears the Empire Diamond Tiara (also known as Grand Duchess Charlotte's Wedding Tiara) during the State Visit to the Netherlands in 2006. This is only one of a handful of times the Grand Duchess has worn the tiara, which belonged to Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg and was first seen on the Grand Duchess in 1919, on her wedding day to Prince Felix of Parma

Q. Great Britian
Picture Link
Source:

Queen Mary wearing four Cullinans, circa 1911.

Empress 05-12-2008 09:07 PM

R. Iran
Picture Link
Source: Iranian.com

Farah Diba Crowned Empress of Iran 1967 - Farah Diba was the first wife of a Persian Monarch to be crowned so an imperial crown was commissioned for her coronation at Tehran. The gems came from the Iranian Treasury and Van Cleef and Arpels designed and made the crown. The gems include a 91ct emerald, pearls, rubies, spinels and almost 1500 diamonds, all set in a white gold frame. Van Cleef and Arpels also designed the impressive gold and platinum necklace from which hang one very large engraved hexagonal emerald, four square-cut emeralds, four pearls, eleven large yellow diamonds and five smaller emeralds, all surrounded by diamonds.

S. Morocco
Picture Link
Source: ATPER

Princess Lalla Salma - The wife of Morocco's King attends the Diamond Jubilee celebrations in Thailand in June 2006. Salma is wearing a pair of earrings of modern design which comprise diamond clusters from which hang two very large subtly cut and highly polished emeralds surrounded by diamonds. The emerald necklace is made of older-style cabochon gems with a sprinkling of diamonds to add some essential sparkle.

T. Brunei
Picture Link
Source: Infofoto

Crown Princess Sarah - Her wedding to the Crown Prince of Brunei in 2004 was the occasion for displays of magnificant jewels for which the Brunei Court is renowned. Sarah is wearing three major all-diamond pieces: a delicate tiara, a large flower-style brooch and an impressive necklace of various modern cuts with two significant hanging diamonds, one heart-shaped and the other square-cut.

U. Malaysia
Picture Link
Source: Infofoto

Queen Fauziah - Pictured here in September 2004, at the royal banquet celebrating the marriage of the Crown Prince of Brunei, the Queen is wearing a suite of the Royal Regalia. The most important is the Gendik-di Raja or Royal Tiara, which was remounted from an earlier diadem by Garrard & Co in 1984. It is made of diamonds and platinum and can be dismantled to form three smaller ornaments. The diamond brooch is one part of the much larger Waterfall necklace which was also made by Garrard, in 1989. The very substantial diamond necklace is a much older piece dating from the late 19th century.

V. Italy
Picture Link
Source: Afghanistan-Photos

Queen Elena of Italy - née Pss Jelena of Montenegro, wife of King Vittorio Emanuele III of Italy - She is pictured here wearing four significant pieces: what appears to be a diamond and pearl tiara, a substantial diamond collet necklace, a large brooch, and an impressive diamond sautoir which most likely is of near-waist length.

W. Jordan
Picture Link
Source: Queen Rania Image Gallery

Queen Rania in a formal portrait from the year 2000, wearing the late Queen Alia’s diamond tiara. Made by Cartier, the tiara was loaned to Rania by her sister-in-law Princess Haya who inherited it upon her mother’s death. The matching diamond earrings probably belonged to Queen Alia as well since her daughter Haya has been photographed wearing them.

X. Egypt
Picture Link
Source: Flickr

Princess Fawzia - This daughter of King Fuad and sister of King Farouk had a short-lived marriage to the Shah of Iran. She was considered at the time to be one of the world's most beautiful women and bore an uncanny resemblance to the actress Vivien Leigh. This impressive matching suite of diamonds comprising tiara, earrings and necklace was made for her by Van Cleef and Arpels when she was residing in Iran and is most likely today in the vaults of the Iranian Treasury.

Her_Majesty 05-14-2008 04:42 AM

Wow, that's really a giant collection of jewels here. Good to see a mix of old and new pictures.:crown6:

sofajr 05-14-2008 05:09 AM

some links are not working for me, for example Russian and Norwegian :ohmy:

Empress 05-14-2008 07:06 AM

Try the link in the poll, and we will sort the links in the posts out. The links in the poll portion are working for me.

Her_Majesty 05-14-2008 08:55 AM

The links is the Poll are working well. the ones in the text (sofajr talked about) don't work for me either. :ermm:

jcbcode99 05-14-2008 09:28 AM

Great Poll, marvelous pictures. I know it takes a lot of time to assemble something like this and I am appreciative of the virtual feast before my eyes!

Empress 05-14-2008 09:31 AM

They should all be working now.

dalia 05-15-2008 10:12 PM

The upper links worked well, but the lower ones only a few did. As for the photos, they are good choices:flowers: but of course the coloured ones will have a better chance of winning. Thanks for all the photos and all the efforts.

Empress 05-16-2008 07:19 AM

We'll fix that shortly.

dazzling 05-16-2008 10:42 AM

All links have been fixed. Some pictures need time to upload.
Enjoy the poll !!

Turkish Delight 05-16-2008 10:57 AM

Thanks for fixing!:flowers:

Glistening Seas 05-16-2008 10:59 AM

Glistening Seas

:cry: some of the pics didn't work! the collection is great to see. it would be nice if they could offer a collection to vote on an ongoing basis. it will be nice to review as soon as some of the links work. :king4:

Empress 05-16-2008 11:13 AM

Every link is working! Thanks Dazzling

Vanesa 05-16-2008 05:38 PM

I choose just one, but...my! I wish I could have choised at least three of them! I 've always been a great fan of East jewels and Russian ones, but the one I choose is not none of these...Muhahaha. Guess!!! :biggrin:

Vanesa.

Little_star 05-18-2008 09:17 AM

There were some great photos in this poll, particularly of the older, less known Royals. However I have a strong feeling this will just end up being another popularity contest!

Glistening Seas 05-18-2008 10:32 AM

Glistening Seas

h-m-m- Personality contest?:eek: oh i don't really know but i wouldn't think so! when it comes to this topic few people choose on personality. Taste varies immeasureably when it comes to this, i'd say. Of course, how one feels when wearing a particular piece one finds beautiful can come accross in pics. however, over all when someone is wearing something eye stopping it truly doesn't matter "whom" is wearing it because it grabs one's attention so completely. any opinions on this?

;)Although, i too, have a piece that is my all time favorite which doesn't happen to be here though. however, while all the pieces are beautiful i did vote for the pieces that simply took my breath away!:monacostandard::unicorn:

Thomas Parkman 05-18-2008 05:24 PM

Ye Gods and Little fishes, this business is almost more than my weak, decrepit and broken down wreck of a body, a shadow of my former self and my even more doddering, drooling and confused weak mind, or what is left of it can stand. There are just so many scrumptious goodies. The worst jewels poll would be so much easier and an enormous amount of fun. But this??? Making me choose. Oh, no. Perish the thought. I shall have to stiffen the upper lip and do it. cheers.