The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Electronic Domain (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/)
-   -   "The Prince And Me" (2004) - Film 'about' Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/the-prince-and-me-2004-film-about-crown-prince-frederik-of-denmark-1687.html)

Josefine 12-14-2002 06:37 PM

"The Prince And Me" (2004) - Film 'about' Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark

A movie about a European prince…
What do you think?

Quote:

The Prince and the Freshman

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Julia Stiles will star in the romantic comedy "The Prince and the Freshman," while Susan Saranson is in talks to join the cast.

Stiles will play a student at a Midwestern university who has the dubious fortune to fall in love with a European prince who is spending the semester incognito. Sarandon, last in theaters with "Moonlight Mile," would play the prince's mother. Stiles was last seen in "The Bourne Identity."

Martha Coolidge ("Out To Sea") will direct the Paramount/Lions Gate co-production from a script by Katherine Fugate ("Carolina"). Filming will begin in March.

Prince" chronicles the romance between a British prince, Frederick, and a small-town American girl, Paige. The duo meet at the Indiana university to which the feisty, motorcycle-driving Paige received a scholarship and where the prince spends his "gap" year fulfilling his dream of living in the real world by posing as a regular student. Their love is challenged when it is publicly exposed, and the queen of England must take drastic measures.

Katherine Fugate wrote the original draft of the script, which is being written by Jack Amiel and Michael Beglar. Fugate most recently worked with Stiles on the upcoming Miramax feature "Carolina," which Fugate wrote and Stiles stars in.

Sobini's Mark Amin is producing "Prince," with the company's Robin Schorr executive producing. "Prince" is expected to be Sobini's inaugural feature. The idea was originally developed by Sobini internally before being set up at Paramount. Lions Gate will take international rights to the film.

Stiles is repped by CAA and Handprint Entertainment. The actress, shooting Revolution Studios' "Mona Lisa Smile," next stars in MGM's "A Guy Thing."

MihoshiMarie 01-08-2004 09:24 PM

In regards to the movie starring Julia Stiles--'The Prince and Me', you can view the trailer here. I think the prince's name is Edward, but I do know that he is a prince of Denmark. No word of when this film is to be released...

samitude 01-12-2004 10:30 AM

The Prince And Me - A Movie About Frederik

Here's the official site for the new movie that is extremely loosely based on Crown Prince Frederik. It sound kind of interesting. The guy who plays Frederik is better looking than Frederik in my opinion, but Mary is better looking then the girl he ends up with, in my opinion.

Why can't they ever have any movies about girls who become princesses who just accept it and act like they enjoy it? Why do they all have to act like it's horrible and all try to be rebellious about it? I did not like The Princess Diaries.

http://www.princeandme.com/

Dennism 01-12-2004 11:27 AM

"Why can't they ever have any movies about girls who become princesses who just accept it and act like they enjoy it? Why do they all have to act like it's horrible and all try to be rebellious about it? I did not like The Princess Diaries."

Conflict must be involved and the more conflict the better of a movie. Not only must there be conflict that comes with falling in love, but she can't just accept it. Becoming a princess is very hard work. Nobody would accept it without a lot of heavy thinking.

Josefine 01-12-2004 01:05 PM

so who is the regent in denmark in this movie the queen?

samitude 01-12-2004 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 12th, 2004 - 10:27 am
Conflict must be involved and the more conflict the better of a movie. Not only must there be conflict that comes with falling in love, but she can't just accept it. Becoming a princess is very hard work. Nobody would accept it without a lot of heavy thinking.
I wasn't talking about the heavy thinking part. They should indeed think about these things before they dive into them. I'm referring to the lack of common sense. Like in The Princess Diaries. Any girl with some common sense would know some basic rules of ettiquette.

I watched the trailer for this upcoming movie about Frederik (Eddie). The girl is at a formal dinner and asks about Pringles potato chips?! Even if she doesn't know exactly how to act she should study up on it, watch others around her, talk of general subjects and be quiet if she doesn't know what to say. If one is in a formal setting try to be a lady and act like you know what you're doing. Bring your manners to the front and attempt to act like those around you or better. And last of all is a question we all would like to ask this prince and real life princes as well. "Why can't you pick a girl who doesn't mind being royal and will do her best to act like one?"

OK. I think I'm done venting. Dennism, this is no reflection about your post. I'm just talking out my feelings on this subject. Anyone else have an opinion?

Josephine, the people on Royal Blue were basically wondering the same thing. Is it the queen or "king" that is ruling in this film? I'd like to know that as well.

Josefine 01-12-2004 02:54 PM

why do they say its based on frederik, just because he in the movie is crown prince of Denmark

Josefine 01-12-2004 03:13 PM

this site talks about prince of england

Josefine 01-12-2004 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
------

Josefine 01-12-2004 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
------

Josefine 01-12-2004 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
--------

Dennism 01-12-2004 03:49 PM

You're right, Samitude. I was being too simple about it all. You make some good points.

"A British prince named Frederick"

Oops. Guess the site made a mistake there.

"The girl is at a formal dinner and asks about Pringles potato chips?"

This is pretty dumb.

" "Why can't you pick a girl who doesn't mind being royal and will do her best to act like one?"

I understand. Why not? There are plenty of women here who wouldn't mind being a princess.

Dennism 01-12-2004 03:52 PM

A Danish Prince quoting Shakespeare? Good grief. How sappy is that? I guess it was too much asking for people who actually sounded Danish! I mean they could have had two more English parents than these two. Too much. Too phony. But I'll still go to see it. Julia is in it. I love how they use the Danish flag as a background though.

H.M. Margrethe 01-12-2004 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Josefine@Jan 12th, 2004 - 2:14 pm
------
That is NOT a Danish soldier uniform.

Dennism 01-12-2004 04:13 PM

It isn't. I thought so. It looked rather English. I wasn't sure. Too much. More mistakes.

H.M. Margrethe 01-12-2004 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 12th, 2004 - 3:13 pm
It isn't. I thought so. It looked rather English. I wasn't sure. Too much. More mistakes.
I am in the nationalguard so i know that is not a danish soldier uniform. Not even a galla uniform her in denmark.
I don´t know if it is a English galla uniform but i can remember that i haf seen CP in a uniform like that one.

Dennism 01-12-2004 04:22 PM

I should have said "I have no idea" instead of "I wasn't sure". Right. Gotcha.

Times2222 01-12-2004 05:04 PM

The story section of the the official movie website does refer to the character as the Crown Prince of Denmark

Dennism 01-12-2004 05:08 PM

Yes, but that movie site said the British Prince and then the English Queen. Bad site.

lasu 01-12-2004 07:35 PM

Yes. Fake Danish prince played by a British actor (both parents are British actors as well). His name is Edvard in the film, though I have seen reviews of early screenings in which his name is Frederik. I wonder if someone made them change it? It is easy to replace "Freddie" with "Eddie" in a voiceover... :flower:

samitude 01-12-2004 07:42 PM

In the trailer there's a shot with the queen and the "king". I think they attempted to have them look like Margrethe and Henrik. He sort of resembles Henrik without glasses, but she really doesn't look a whole lot like Margrethe. :huh:

theprincess 01-13-2004 11:47 AM

The offical website for the movie The Prince and Me is:

www.princeandme.com

sky 02-19-2004 10:12 PM

:rolleyes: Today I went to the movies and a trailer for the "The prince and me " was shown. It kind of annoyed me that the prince and his parents had English accents and name, but remembered that the queen and princes of DK have English accents speaking English. :P . But the thing that was crazy was when the prince's relationship with Page(the girl) it is all of "The sun". I was thinking they could have used the name of a Danish mag like B-B because people can make their own pronouce it. But they at least got the color of the flag right. I wonder what the Danish people and royals are going to feel about it when it is released.

theprincess 02-23-2004 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sky@Feb 19th, 2004 - 9:12 pm
I wonder what the Danish people and royals are going to feel about it when it is released.
I have only seen the trailer but, just from seeing it I could tell that the movie inaccurately portrays royalty. First of all, as merely the girlfriend of the prince of Denmark, Julia Stiles' character would not be welcomed into the palace. Girlfriends of royal princes are not acknowledged by the king and queen untill the engagement is annouced. We all saw this very recently with Mary Donaldson. I am always interesting in movies involving royalty, however it annoys me when these movie inaccurately portray royalty. If I was a dutch person this might annoy me even more, especially with the crown prince wedding coming up this spring.

magpie 02-23-2004 11:20 AM

I think "the prince and me" looks very cute. i agree that these teen movies don't portray royalty properly though, which is too bad, because if they did the movies would seem that much more realistic. Did anyone else notice in the princess diaries that the queen (julie andrews), was actually just married to the king (who had passed away), but was somehow still "ruling"?? That didn't seem to make much sense to me...oh well, i guess that's hollywood's idea of succession!

Dennism 02-23-2004 11:48 AM

Here's a rather spare review of the Prince and Me. It's interesting if just a little juvenile. But it's a good review nonetheless.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16512

absolutelyroyal 02-23-2004 05:07 PM

Does anyone know when "The Prince and Me" is to be released in Sweden? Or if it is at all to be released here?

Here's a quote from Yahoo! Movies about the film:

"Paige (Stiles), a free-spirited American college student (and motorcycling enthusiast) starting her education at an Indiana university, meets and falls in love with one of her classmates, but what she doesn't know is that he's actually a Danish prince, Frederick (Mably), spending his "gap year" (before having to perform his princely duties) by hiding in America disguised as a regular guy".
:blink:

So I guess we're up for yet another Hollywood version of Royalty, described in the most inaccurate way (like you've all pointed out above). But who knows, maybe it will be fun to watch anyway?

//absolutelyroyal.

Athena 03-29-2004 03:16 PM

It's only a movie. The studio doesn't care if the actors have a Danish accent or not. They are not "catering" to a Danish market.

Most American audiences have never heard of the Royal Family of Denmark, and I doubt they will care...unless your a teen; now they will know that there is a real Danish prince and possibly they'll become more interested in the "real" prince of Denmark. It's a fantasy movie, hopefully a good old fashion romantic picture, that is meant to be taken lightly.

pepperann 04-01-2004 05:03 PM

Has anyone seen the movie, The Prince and Me? I saw it yesterday (prescreening of it before it opens this friday) and it was a very sweet and romantic movie. The interesting fact about it is that the Prince in the movie is the crown prince of denmark, who is going to ascend the throne someday, but that's about all the similarities there is with the real CP. Also, they actually filmed in Denmark. Here's the link to the official site, if anyone is interested. =)

http://www.princeandme.com/

pepperann 04-01-2004 05:05 PM

actually I forgot one more thing, the prince in the movie also falls in love with a commoner...seems like the director based it on real life, no?

pepperann 04-01-2004 05:32 PM

ok, I was informed that the movie was actually filmed in Prague and not Denmark... come to think of it..all movies that take place in a European country are filmed in Prague...cheaper to produce I'd guess...just like how it is in Vancouver...it's been portrayed as Seattle, San Francisco, Maine, etc. in movies before.

norwegianne 04-02-2004 04:00 AM

I know I'm certainly going to see it... I love those kind of movies - and the fact that they've based it on Frederik & Mary (to a certain degree, according to BT.) only makes it more interesting.

Eliza 04-08-2004 12:11 PM

I just caught it this evening....it's great! Just love the romance and all. also the lead actor is terribly cute!!! a must see for anyone who love a typical mushy romantic movie..

norwegianne 04-10-2004 06:28 AM

There's this long post on it on imdb.com about Danes who certainly don't recognize their country or their royal traditions in it - I can't wait to see it and nitpick.

(Just who the hell came up with calling the king Haraald? There are plenty of other, real scandinavian names that would fit so much better... ) :innocent:

Fireweaver 04-14-2004 01:57 PM

To tie it in with the Danish royal family a bit more, here's a few similarities/differences I noticed about the movie to the real family

1. The queen's casual outfits resemble some that HM wears in real life (Normally when she's on vacation, but still).
2. People actually call "Eddie" Crown Prince a few times (Then resort back to Prince, but, hey, the first few times it was CP!).
3. Some of the jewelery (necklaces, brooches) resemble some of the Danish RF's real jewels.
4. The CP has a love of Fast cars
5. The Prince has a boyish look to him. (He reminded me of a cross of Joachim and Frederik).

The differences
1. Names
2. King
3. Appparently Denmark does abdications and coronations, who knew? :)
4. While the necklaces were great, the tiara the queen wears is, well, horrid. They spent all that money on realistic looking jewels, and then give her a rhinestone tiara. The little princess had a better looking one! I'd have loved to see a copy of the Orange-Nassau tiara, or the Emerald set instead.

USCtrojan 08-19-2004 06:01 PM

Agreed. Gotta love the movie though.. :)

sara1981 08-19-2004 08:01 PM

I got one but i paid that dvd! thankness godness for got that! i really loves watching foreign films lots about Royals! but i like actor/actress who roles as Royals

Sara Boyce

DKgirls 08-20-2004 10:26 AM

We're going to watch this movie very soon and are looking forward to it :)

We've seen some stuff about the movie and so, and it sounds great....the only bad part is that not much of the movie is actually Danish - not even recorded here...

bramair 08-20-2004 08:44 PM

To see what the director of The Prince and Me said about what she decided to put in the movie, try this link on the IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337697/...403204#7403204.

She had a great interest in Denmark and answers her critics about the different "facts" in the film. Apparently the story was written long before they decided to set it in Denmark. She also talks about how they decided on the Danish accent to use, etc. She did work with a Danish film crew, and made up their uniforms and orders that you see. She also said some of the Danish actors who auditioned for the movie did speak perfect Oxford English, too.

The director also said that she met "the Danish Princess" in a restaurant (last year I think), and it was quite informal. Could she have been referring to Princess Alexandra?

USCtrojan 08-26-2004 06:28 PM

It would be interesting which Danish princess she is refering too. It could as well be Benedikte and or Alexandria, heck how knows, even Mary!! :)

I don't recognize the Danish accent is it there?

USCtrojan 08-31-2004 05:07 PM

I adore this movie. Julia Stiles looks beautiful in it, however I don't see how it is about Frederik at all.

Josefine 11-03-2004 04:21 PM

http://www.imdb.com

Trivia for
The Prince & Me

During a break from rehearsals in Toronto, Luke Mably (Eddie) and 'Ben Miller' (Eddie's valet, Soren) went out while in character to the Four Seasons and convinced everyone that Mably was the Prince of Denmark. They were demanding tea and cake and had six waiters around them, bowing.

Britters 11-04-2004 08:16 PM

I wasn't a big fan of "The Prince and Me" there were just too many inconsistancies. I'm sure for those who don't follow Royals, or only follow that of the Brithish Royal House they would be okay with this movie, but it was just too...wrong for me. (Did anyone else have that problem?)

Dianedk 11-07-2004 04:31 PM

I remember seeing this with a friend, just before the CPwedding.
We laughed during the entire movie, because it was so ridiculous. I mean they only made a couple of shots in Denmark, and everything was going way too fast. A future princess would have spend more time in DK, before deciding if this was what she really wanted (example: CP Mary, can't remember what happened with P Alexandra, it was all very secret, I think).

....anyway, we had a great laugh and joked about Americans not knowing much about DK (sorry already....some of you obviously do) ;)

julial 11-07-2004 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samitude
I wasn't talking about the heavy thinking part. They should indeed think about these things before they dive into them. I'm referring to the lack of common sense. Like in The Princess Diaries. Any girl with some common sense would know some basic rules of ettiquette.

I watched the trailer for this upcoming movie about Frederik (Eddie). The girl is at a formal dinner and asks about Pringles potato chips?! Even if she doesn't know exactly how to act she should study up on it, watch others around her, talk of general subjects and be quiet if she doesn't know what to say. If one is in a formal setting try to be a lady and act like you know what you're doing. Bring your manners to the front and attempt to act like those around you or better. And last of all is a question we all would like to ask this prince and real life princes as well. "Why can't you pick a girl who doesn't mind being royal and will do her best to act like one?"

OK. I think I'm done venting. Dennism, this is no reflection about your post. I'm just talking out my feelings on this subject. Anyone else have an opinion?

Josephine, the people on Royal Blue were basically wondering the same thing. Is it the queen or "king" that is ruling in this film? I'd like to know that as well.

Well, I do not think some men I have encountered previously with good credentials (some British aristcrats included) like rebellious women that much. They are pretty much tired out from the work already, why do they need added burden in their mental state? It seems they prefer someone more agreeable, not much hussle. Afterall, they have so many girls to chose from, they do not seem to bother with someone who goes against their realm.

Britters 11-08-2004 12:03 PM

I would not highly reccomend it-meaning I wouldn't suggest you go out of your way to see it. It's an okay movie if you are able to look passed the various Royal ideas they make that are totally wrong...There were so many things though that just got in my way of enjoying the movie, making it hard for me to reccomend the movie to anyone who really knows anything about Royalty and protocol, etc.

Josefine 03-07-2005 02:04 PM

i have read now that it was a king ruling denmark in the movie

sommone 04-06-2005 12:52 AM

I saw the movie...I liked it.

moby 04-20-2005 01:44 AM

i have to bump this thread.
i think the movie is absolutely horrible. can't stand it. (i only have to endure it because my niece was watching. i could cry buckets if i have to watch it again though..)
acting's bad, storyline's very predictable, boring, and nothing i've never heard before, it's not even funny and the characters have incredible moments of stupidity.
ugh.

defalco 04-20-2005 01:59 AM

And the ending sucked. I wanted a royal wedding after all that buildup. Plus, the "fancy" dresses she wore were ugly.

elizahawthorne 04-20-2005 02:56 AM

Picky Picky Picky aren't we? LOL, it's a movie...entertainment, might actually find it nice if you didn't overanalyze it so much...LOL...tho I haven't seen the movie so I should talk right? LOL

-Eliza

Mascha 04-20-2005 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defalco
And the ending sucked. I wanted a royal wedding after all that buildup. Plus, the "fancy" dresses she wore were ugly.

True, the ending sort of sucked, but the rest of the movie was nice.
I like Julia Stiles in almost every movie...:)

Iluvbertie 04-21-2005 10:21 PM

I liked the movie as a piece of fiction but I didn't relate to any real events at all.

GömdNatt 07-06-2005 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennism
"The girl is at a formal dinner and asks about Pringles potato chips?"

This is pretty dumb.

i saw the movie recently and it's...that's taken out of context. the dinner was with an...african head of state, I believe. i can't remember exactly but the guy likes pringles and since she didn't know what else to talk about, or something like that, she asked about pringles.

this movie sucked. i just...ugh...couldn't stand it. since when do young girls wear tiaras, sashes, and...uhhh...military uniforms?

Gloriana 07-06-2005 03:35 PM

Ugh, I couldn't stand that movie! I mean, it was just this stereotypical ''Amazing Modern Fresh America vs. Boring Stiff Royal Europeans''.

Yeah, and and a Prince would totally interrupt a parade in order to pick up his girlfriend.

Oh, and did you know that the Danish monarchy has political influence? Yeah, because Scandinavians are so backwards!:rolleyes:

EmpressRouge 07-06-2005 06:42 PM

After the coronation, when does the new Danish king give a speech in English?! :confused:
And yes, the tiaras were really tacky looking. I know they might not have been able to get real diamonds, but at least get a more elegant design.

carlota 07-06-2005 07:12 PM

can i ask why do people know it's frederiks story? i doubt he explained the story to any filmographer to make a story about him.

how do you know its his story? was it said in any official or liable source?

Yennie 07-06-2005 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota
can i ask why do people know it's frederiks story? i doubt he explained the story to any filmographer to make a story about him.

The only reason for the story to be connected with Frederik is that the prince in the movie is prince of Denmark. Other than that, very few things are right
For example, in the movie there´s a ruling king...and the people in the film are much younger than F & M.

norwegianne 07-07-2005 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie
The only reason for the story to be connected with Frederik is that the prince in the movie is prince of Denmark. Other than that, very few things are right
For example, in the movie there´s a ruling king...and the people in the film are much younger than F & M.

Also, Frederik studied in the States for a while... and is very fond of fast cars.

But really not many similarities...

lynn 07-07-2005 10:05 PM

Saw the movie some few months ago, and I didn't really like it. I hardly think it was based on Prince Frederick. The producers/writers probably just thought of using Denmark as the setting because for those who don't really follow royalty (like we do ;-) ), they may not even know it's a constitutional monarchy, let alone know the names of the royal family.

Catharina 07-08-2005 06:22 AM

Oh no... I really don't like these fairytale movies about royalty... I especially hate it that american movies are filled with stupid prejudices about european culture and the countries. The stereotypes just annoy me. I also hate it when people say they are going to Europe on a holiday, could they just maybe learn the countries? I mean I don't say I'm going to Asia or North America. I know I'm drifting from the subject, sorry...

ews 07-08-2005 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn
Saw the movie some few months ago, and I didn't really like it. I hardly think it was based on Prince Frederick. The producers/writers probably just thought of using Denmark as the setting because for those who don't really follow royalty (like we do ;-) ), they may not even know it's a constitutional monarchy, let alone know the names of the royal family.

you're right. in fact when the movie came out they said that. its got nothing to do with Frederick, in fact the filmmakers had no idea he and Mary were getting marrried.

delineate 07-14-2005 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn

You're probably right. I didn't even know most of the countries still had monarchies until I started doing some research a few months ago. All you hear about in the US is the UK and Monaco.

Lady Jennifer 07-14-2005 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delineate
You're probably right. I didn't even know most of the countries still had monarchies until I started doing some research a few months ago. All you hear about in the US is the UK and Monaco.

You sometimes hear abt Jordan b/c of Queen Noor (when she is on Larry King Live). But its mostly the UK.....I only really hear abt Monaco when Albert was on TV here in the US (again Larry King Live- man Larry King is a Royal Magnet (sp?)).
I didn't even hear abt Pres. Bush meeting w/ the Royal Family of Denmark on TV. I saw a pic on another Blog that I visit (he was celebrating his birthday & the Queen helped him w/ his candles....& also that Jenna Bush was sitting next to CP Frederick)

Dennism 07-14-2005 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Jennifer
You sometimes hear abt Jordan b/c of Queen Noor (when she is on Larry King Live). But its mostly the UK.....I only really hear abt Monaco when Albert was on TV here in the US (again Larry King Live- man Larry King is a Royal Magnet (sp?)).
I didn't even hear abt Pres. Bush meeting w/ the Royal Family of Denmark on TV. I saw a pic on another Blog that I visit (he was celebrating his birthday & the Queen helped him w/ his candles....& also that Jenna Bush was sitting next to CP Frederick)

On CNN, they showed the president greeting the Queen and her Prince at the airport and they mentioned who it was but you´re right, there was very little coverage otherwise.

Roshanah 08-08-2005 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennism
"Becoming a princess is very hard work. Nobody would accept it without a lot of heavy thinking.

Well said!!:)

CasiraghiTrio 08-10-2005 12:27 AM

the movie

I saw that movie awhile ago and thought it was stupid. I didn't know it was about Fred though. As I recall, the prince was the Crown Prince of Denmark, but his name was different and all the names were different than the names of the royal family in real life. Also, the Julia Stiles character was nothing like Mary. She was American, from some Mid-western town, and went to college there, was much younger than Mary. I think she was a bio major or something.

But I have to agree that Julia Stiles is not nearly as pretty as Mary. Who is?

I think Fred is much more handsome than that prince "Eddie" guy, though. Fred is too gorgeous for words.

Princess Robijn 08-16-2005 06:59 AM

re

hello everybody.... i am new here. I must say i saw that movie and i loved it, just to bad that there wasn't a wedding at the end.

(my appologyse for my english.. i am not sure that my english is correct.)

Marengo 08-16-2005 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chanel
It would be interesting which Danish princess she is refering too. It could as well be Benedikte and or Alexandria, heck how knows, even Mary!! :)

I don't recognize the Danish accent is it there?

And dont forget HH Princess Elisabeth, cousin to the Queen. A very nice and informal lady!

runaway princess 08-16-2005 08:25 PM

When the the girl said....Denmark is not ready for a princess like me and then the prince responded that he was ready for one........do you think Mary and Frederik had a conversation among those lines? :confused: If they had one...that would be so romantic when the movie came out and told a version of thatkind of conversation!

Princess Robijn 08-17-2005 08:30 AM

re

i would not be suprised, because it was a big step for mary to mary a prince :) :)

Feberin 08-21-2005 12:17 AM

I liked the movie somewhat but certainly not something to watch if you want to learn about the Dannish royalty!

JOY! 02-09-2006 02:12 PM

I enjoyed this movie. Though i admit there are a lot of differences in this movie and the real royals of Denmark. Though we must remember this is still just a movie and not a documentary.
Unfortunatly I recent heard of the sequel, and the only returning cast member is the royal prince? it doesn't seem to be as good as the first.

galatea_12 02-15-2006 10:26 PM

I've seen this movie before... but I don't think it's based on Crown Prince Frederik's life :D

I love the part when the Prince pretended to be a commoner and tried working in the diner...

Princejohnny25 02-15-2006 10:55 PM

Um.....I know we all have different opinions but this movie SUCKED. It was painfully long and dull. No magic or anything. Pretty stupid movie in my opinion.

pinklady1991 02-15-2006 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
Um.....I know we all have different opinions but this movie SUCKED. It was painfully long and dull. No magic or anything. Pretty stupid movie in my opinion.

Johnny dear, that's because it was a "chick flick" and probably geared for the 9-13 year old set. I admit it, I thought it was cute...I thought the actors had chemistry and I like the fact that at the end he was willing to wait for her to go through medical school. Yes, unrealistic, but a good role model for the age bracket mentioned above.

crisiñaki 02-16-2006 12:41 AM

I haven't been able to get the movie in my country but you said there isn't a wedding in the end, then what happened? did she get back to america? did she stay in Denmark?

Thanks for telling me the story;) ;) ;)

Ethel 02-18-2006 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisiñaki
I haven't been able to get the movie in my country but you said there isn't a wedding in the end, then what happened? did she get back to america? did she stay in Denmark?

Crisiñaki

You can see all of it here http://www.princeandme.com/ I hope you like it. I bought the movie just because it took place in Denmark!!! But it is a total chick flick, very sweet one though.

Ethel

Beck 02-18-2006 02:59 PM

There is actually a sequel to this film about to come out straight to DVD at the end of February.
It focuses on the Wedding of Prince Edvard and Paige Morgan

Sofia Magdalena 02-19-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota

I think it was said in some press release when the film premiered that it was inspired by Frederik, it was not about him. He spent a year at Harvard in the early 1990's and the filmmakers probably elaborated this simple fact. By the way I read somewhere that Frederik was registered as Frederik Frederiksen because the Harvard computer wouldn't accept Crown Prince as a name. If this is true there is at least some basis for the "pretending to be a commoner" theme in the film.

Isabel 02-19-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisiñaki

She goes back to America and finishes school. The Prince shows up at her graduation and he says something along the lines of understanding how important it is for her to become a doctor and follow her dreams. He wants her in his life and he is willing to wait for her.

I didn't hear about the sequel coming out soon. Straight to DVD? Well, that says something. Are the characters played by the same actors in the sequel or were there a few changes?

Aussie Princess 02-19-2006 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galatea_12
I've seen this movie before... but I don't think it's based on Crown Prince Frederik's life :D

I love the part when the Prince pretended to be a commoner and tried working in the diner...

I don't think it is either. It could have been about any Prince meeting a commoner.This guy moved because he wanted to really experiance an annoymous life, he wasn't on a holiday to a huge international sporting event!:D I did like the movie though. I reckon he ended getting the hang of the diner pretty quickly though!;)

Yennie 02-20-2006 07:07 AM

Quote:

She goes back to America and finishes school. The Prince shows up at her graduation and he says something along the lines of understanding how important it is for her to become a doctor and follow her dreams. He wants her in his life and he is willing to wait for her.
are you sure?
I remember a scene where there was a parade and the prince is in it. They see eachother and talks a while and then they both rides away on a white horse

Beck 02-20-2006 08:02 AM

Edvard is played by the same guy, but the other actors/actresses have changed.

KatieLouise 02-20-2006 08:51 PM

I haven't seen this movie but is it true that there's a line which suggests that Danes speak Flemish? :confused:

HRH Kerry 02-20-2006 09:04 PM

I liked this "fairytale" of a movie. I think all of the different faults that a lot have found wrong with the movie suggest that it is just a tale and not based upon anyone's story or culture. Just a movie to give us another "chickflick". My daughters and I love it and look forward to seeing the sequel.:cool:

Isabel 02-20-2006 09:16 PM

Quote:

are you sure?
I remember a scene where there was a parade and the prince is in it. They see eachother and talks a while and then they both rides away on a white horse

I'm positive. The character played by Julia Stiles doesn't marry the Crown Prince of Denmark. Plans are made, but she changes her mind. She returns to school. At the end of the movie, the Prince does show up at the end of the graduation and he does say that he's willing to wait.

Apparently, the sequel will focus on them reuniting and finally getting married.

hofburg 02-20-2006 09:28 PM

Quote:

Indeed. The only connection to Danish Monarchy in the film is the mentioning of Denmark.

Becky24 02-20-2006 09:31 PM

I noticed that, too. It was still a very good movie though and I especially liked the ending.

crisiñaki 02-20-2006 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beck
Edvard is played by the same guy, but the other actors/actresses have changed.

So, he's marrying a different girl?:D :D :D

JessRulz 02-21-2006 03:22 AM

no, he's marrying the same girl, she's just being played by another actress, not what's-her-name, Julia something...

crisiñaki 02-21-2006 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessRulz
no, he's marrying the same girl, she's just being played by another actress, not what's-her-name, Julia something...

I know, it was kind of a joke that's why I put the :D :D :D
;)

JessRulz 02-21-2006 04:11 AM

Oh ok crisinaki! sorry about that...just a not-paying-attention moment! :D

cd_1 02-21-2006 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princejohnny25

oh man i TOTALLY agree!the acting sucked too

Kelly 03-01-2006 07:53 PM

The movie was pretty lame. Nothing compared to the real romance between Mary and Fredrick.

Aussie Princess 03-03-2006 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieLouise
I haven't seen this movie but is it true that there's a line which suggests that Danes speak Flemish? :confused:

No silly! Danes speak English, and with a British accent!;)

alelysafina 03-03-2006 02:22 AM

I liked the first one :) , it was very chick flick-y though. I rented the second one last week and it was horrible! All of the characters were changed except for the prince and it was just weird. I stopped watching it about half way through though because none of the characters clicked so I dont know how it ends. Actually i had heard that the only reason the prince guy cam back was because he was under contract or something....

Eliza 03-03-2006 02:31 AM

I agree that the first one was a totally chick film which i enjoyed watching.
I'll be interested to see the second one...

Alelysafina, you saw the second one - can you tell me the title of the second film?

thks!

stellad 03-03-2006 04:08 AM

I wasn't aware that there was a second movie out. Anyway, the first one was enough for me I think the real-life love story between M&F is more entertaining.

Stellad

KatieLouise 03-03-2006 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
No silly! Danes speak English, and with a British accent!;)

Oh, right I forgot. Lol!:D