The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Prince Harry and Prince William (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/)
-   -   Prince William Appointed as the 1,000th Knight of the Garter, April 2008 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f34/prince-william-appointed-as-the-1-000th-knight-of-the-garter-april-2008-a-16771.html)

blondie28 04-22-2008 08:08 PM

Prince William Appointed as the 1,000th Knight of the Garter, April 2008

Prince William is appointed a garter knight by the Queen | the Daily Mail
Yay William!:clap:

Kezza 04-22-2008 08:15 PM

Interesting news that he is to be appointed one, a nd probably comes at a good time for Prince William as it will take away the spotlight on the RAF incident for a few days.

Royal Fan 04-22-2008 09:19 PM

Im very Happy for him id say Henry will be next after he gets that medal

love_cc 04-22-2008 11:18 PM

Good for him and I am looking forward to see him attend this year's ceremony. I googled the information and I think Prince William is to be appointed this year because Sir Edmund Hilary died few months ago.

So many surprises to see the name list of Knights and Ladies for the Order of Garter!

ghost_night554 04-22-2008 11:22 PM

Good for William on getting the knighthood.

Mermaid1962 04-23-2008 01:05 AM

William's going to be outstanding in his Garter robes!

Jo of Palatine 04-23-2008 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by love_cc (Post 757452)
Good for him and I am looking forward to see him attend this year's ceremony. I googled the information and I think Prince William is to be appointed this year because Sir Edmund Hilary died few months ago.

So many surprises to see the name list of Knights and Ladies for the Order of Garter!

I think William falls into a different category than Sir Edmund - so even after William is appointed there will be one more opening for a new knight.

Madame Royale 04-23-2008 04:11 AM

It was just today, ysbel and I slightly touched on the issue of who next would be made a Knight of the Order of the Garter. There was some talk of the former Australian Prime Minister, John Howard, being created a Knight. but whether or not that is still possible I'm not sure.

Personally I don't find the former PM worthy of it so here's hoping someone within the UK is appointed.

Roslyn 04-23-2008 05:57 AM

Five personal jaunts?!? :shock:

:ermm: I wonder if The Queen really believes this is a good time to be giving William the Order of the Garter?

Roslyn 04-23-2008 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 757487)
Personally I don't find the former PM worthy of it so here's hoping someone within the UK is appointed.

I think he's more worthy of it than William.

ETA I might add that I also think Hugh Grant's more worthy of it than William.

Jo of Palatine 04-23-2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roslyn (Post 757510)
Five personal jaunts?!? :shock:

:ermm: I wonder if The Queen really believes this is a good time to be giving William the Order of the Garter?

I think they followed a schedule -a slow kind of paving the way for William into the job of a fully working Senior Royal. And it was just an unfortunate coincidence that these stories hit the media just now. I guess it was planned that he would received his wings in all honour - thus showing he has earned something on his own account and as a next step he would get the garter as the heir of the heir. Who could have foreseen that this RAF-stint would end on such an embarrassing note?

They really should have sent William as an intern into a PR company instead of sending to learn how to fly with the RAF - he obviously has no idea of how to life as an honorable officer and gentleman. So maybe he could have learned how to omit PR faux passes instead?:biggrin:

Madame Royale 04-23-2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roslyn (Post 757512)
I think he's more worthy of it than William.

ETA I might add that I also think Hugh Grant's more worthy of it than William.

More worthy of it than the Queen's own grandson and second in line to inherit? That's an interesting view but each to their own. Sooner or later he would have been created a Knight, so now is as good a time as any.

karla64 04-23-2008 10:03 AM

Yeah I can't wait to see him to wear the robe.. I hope he will look good..

PrinceOfCanada 04-23-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

I googled the information and I think Prince William is to be appointed this year because Sir Edmund Hilary died few months ago.
No, members of the Royal Family are generally 'supernumary' members of the Order. That is to say, their numbers don't officially count.

Quote:

Yeah I can't wait to see him to wear the robe.. I hope he will look good..
I think we can all agree that he would look good in a burlap sack.

PrincessofEurope 04-23-2008 10:55 AM

at what age was charles appointed

wbenson 04-23-2008 11:34 AM

He was technically appointed at age 9, as the Prince of Wales is automatically a member, and he was created PoW in July 1958.

msleiman 04-23-2008 12:38 PM

I am happy for William!

BeatrixFan 04-23-2008 12:50 PM

Inevitable but I really don't think this looks good at all at the moment. A reward for embarrassing the family? There were more deserving candidates in the RF to give this honour to.

Amelia 04-23-2008 12:57 PM

Congratulations to William, I guess. Unfortunate timing however!

Al_bina 04-23-2008 01:27 PM

Nothing surprising here. Both Prince William and Prince Harry will become a Knights of the Garter sooner or later... I agree with BeatrixFan and Amelia...The recent deeds of Prince William may cast a little shadow over his appointment.