The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Royal House of Prussia and Princely House of Hohenzollern (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f214/)
-   -   Emperor Friedrich III (1831-1888) and Victoria (Empress Frederick) (1840-1901) (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f214/emperor-friedrich-iii-1831-1888-and-victoria-empress-frederick-1840-1901-a-16766.html)

CarolinaLandgrave 10-12-2010 10:12 AM

Good point.... they were overly concerned about pure blood royals (which doesn't explain 'Dona & Willy' (sorry Warren, I know it's not the correct thread))
And the Prince Consort raised Vicky to be Queen of Prussia and/or the consort of a ruler of union on German states, correct? I guess the fact that they truly loved each other was just gravy.... but one would not have expected less of Queen Victoria's eldest daughter... and the apple of the Prince Consort's eye... to actually love the one she was married to....

EmpressRouge 10-12-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaLandgrave (Post 1146596)
Good point.... they were overly concerned about pure blood royals (which doesn't explain 'Dona & Willy' (sorry Warren, I know it's not the correct thread))
And the Prince Consort raised Vicky to be Queen of Prussia and/or the consort of a ruler of union on German states, correct? I guess the fact that they truly loved each other was just gravy.... but one would not have expected less of Queen Victoria's eldest daughter... and the apple of the Prince Consort's eye... to actually love the one she was married to....

Vicky, being English, was less concerned about "blood" and supported Willy's choice of Dona, even though the Prussians looked down on her. Despite the English being seen as very class conscious today, they were quite liberal in terms of marriage laws. Willy and I think some Russians royals were appalled by Edward VII's social circle, which included new money business men (who paid off his large debts) and, even worse to them, Jews.

Willy and Dona married during Wilhelm I's reign so grandfather must have given final approval for the unequal match. Wilhelm I had been forced his great love, Princess Eliza Radziwill because of her blood on her father's side (her mother was Prussian!).

CarolinaLandgrave 10-14-2010 09:15 PM

Gotta love those Hohenzollerns...... I remember reading about Wilhelm and Princess Radziwill..

JSP 11-14-2010 01:33 PM

What about the kaiser's grand-uncle, Friederich-Wilhelm IV ?

He married a catholic princess of the most catholic Bavaria.

Did she have to renounce her faith ?

I know in simillar cases, often the boys were raised lutherans and the girls could be raised as caholics after their mother.

The couple had no children, but were there any legal dispositions ?

As to Wilhelm and pss Radziwill, being polish, wasn't she also catholic ?

Mind you, two catholic brides for the most lutheran Hohenzollerns

MAfan 11-14-2010 01:55 PM

When I visited Potsdam the guide explained me the whole story of the religious issues of Elisabeth and Friedrich Wilhelm's marriage; if I remember well, Elisabeth didn't want to convert to Lutheranism, but FW wanted his wife to be Lutheran; finally she got the better of him, and they agreed that she would remain Catholic, but children would be raised Lutherans.
However, after some years of marriage Elisabeth changed her mind and converted to Lutheranism, but it was her own choice, nobody forced her to the conversion.

As for Eliza Radziwill, I don't know if she was Catholic or Lutheran; her father was Catholic, but her mother was Lutheran (a Princess of Prussia herself).

Stefan 11-14-2010 02:10 PM

Accodring to a book i have about the bavarian Queens it's said that it was not Friedrich Wilhelm IV. but his father Friedrich Wilhelm III. who wanted that she should became lutheran. So she had long talks it was agreed that she should covert at a later point and not before the Wedding like some also wanted.

Vasillisos Markos 09-25-2011 10:39 PM

Poor Vicky . . . and Willy. From his tortured birth, it seems the two were never destined to be on good terms. For her part, Vicky could never reconcile herself to Willy's deformed arm. And to make it worse, he also suffered from dizziness, had trouble staying on his horse and later suffered from headaches and hearing loss. Despite the lack of real warmth between the two, it sounds like Willy was obsessed with his mother while at the same time he was opposed to her English liberal ideas.

In the book King, Kaiser, Tsar, the author sets out a letter Willy wrote to his mother when he was a young teen which borders almost on the erotic. Very disturbing but maybe it explains much about the two.

btr2trvl 10-30-2011 10:40 AM

Her Imperial and Royal Highness the Crown Princess of Prussia and the German Empire

2 Attachment(s)
Can anyone identify this pair?

CyrilVladisla 12-28-2013 09:07 PM

Who was the Empress Victoria's favorite granddaughter? Who was her favorite grandson?

I like Victoria Moretta's name of Friederike Wilhelmine Amalie Viktoria. She was called Victoria (Viktoria). There were four generations of Victorias:
Victoria the Duchess of Kent
Victoria the Queen of Great Britain
Victoria the Empress Friedrich
Victoria Moretta

CyrilVladisla 06-05-2018 08:32 PM

Did Emperor Friedrich III try to back his wife Victoria with Princess Viktoria Moretta's wish to marry Prince Alexander of Battenberg?