The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Book Club archive (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f223/)
-   -   Suggestions and poll for May-August 2008 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f223/suggestions-and-poll-for-may-august-2008-a-16322.html)

ysbel 02-14-2008 05:04 AM

Suggestions and poll for May-August 2008

Would any of you be interested in a Royal book club?

The club could read different books about the royals each month and discuss. It wouldn't necessarily have to be about Charles and Diana - just any royal.

selrahc4 02-15-2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysbel (Post 729335)

The club could read different books about the royals each month and discuss. It wouldn't necessarily have to be about Charles and Diana - just any royal.

That sounds interesting.

Russophile 03-11-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

The club could read different books about the each month and discuss. It wouldn't necessarily have to be about Charles and Diana - just any royal.

What a hoot! Like Oprah's but about Royalty! I'm game! :biggrin:
This will make me more rounded with royals, I would guess because I see there are lots and lots of others out there that are just as interesting. Could we vote on the books? Like this month's choice: Poll: Diana, Caroline of Monaco, Princess Matsuko, etc.

jcbcode99 03-15-2008 02:44 PM

I LOVE the idea. How do we get it started? And, what book is first??

tinkerbell1948 03-15-2008 04:57 PM

Actually that is a good idea!

I didn't buy or read the second Morton book, I thought "Enough is enough"

Now I'm curious as I didn't realise that Diana edited the first book to make Charles seem even more of a villian (not starting a discussion here LOL just making a comment)

Fabulous Fake 03-15-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Yes please.

Count me in on that.:flowers:

ysbel 03-15-2008 05:11 PM

Its good to see so many people interested in a book club.

Why don't some of you come up with some book recommendations for the book club?

sirhon11234 03-15-2008 06:05 PM

I think having a book club would be interesting.
Threads should stay open even though the group has finished discussing the book.

LadyCat 03-15-2008 06:36 PM

I would love, Love, LOVE a TRF Book club!

I think the book club should have a separate thread for each book, the threads to stay open even after we've finished with it -- you never know, some new member might read it later and have some comments or take on it no one else did and open up a whole new realm of discussions.

The books could be chosen by a poll - we could all toss a few ideas into the pot and vote on them.

Don't ask me for a time frame to read a book though, if I get really absorbed in one I'm likely to finish it in one marathon all night reading frenzy!

Cat

ysbel 03-15-2008 07:08 PM

In addition to a thread, would y'all like a scheduled chat session when you could come online and discuss the book in real time with other members?

ysbel 03-15-2008 07:21 PM

Well I'll be the first one. I would love to read this book about George V, Nicholas II, and Kaiser Wilhelm during WWI!

Amazon.com: King, Kaiser, Tsar: Three Royal Cousins Who Led the World to War: Catrine Clay: Books

ysbel 03-15-2008 07:23 PM

But for a complete change of pace, I'm really interested in this new book about Princess Margaret.

Amazon.com: Princess Margaret: Tim Heald: Books

jcbcode99 03-15-2008 07:44 PM

The chat session would be fun, I think. I also think the book threads should remain open for people who come in later or who take longer to read--
as for how books should be chosen, why don't we go ahead and compile a list and then decide which books to chooose from that list?
Right now, I'm reading James Pope-Hennessy's "Queen Mary" and am planning to move onto to something by Hugo Vickers--either Princess Alice or the Queen Mother or the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. Anyone have an opinion?

Of course, I'm always willing to discuss the jewel books

LadyCat 03-15-2008 08:20 PM

I have found several that sound really interesting:

I had no idea a Royal Physician brought so much to Danish history until I saw this:

Amazon.com: The Royal Physician's Visit: A Novel: Per Olov Enquist,Tiina Nunnally: Books

Then we have Sweden's Queen Christina:

Amazon.com: Christina Queen of Sweden: Veronica Buckley: Books

A bit expensive for a paperback but sounds like a very interesting read.

Then there are the Romanovs. Since a lot of people have read Massie's book I tried to find an alternative. I did not check the TRF Library to see if it also has a large TRF readership already.

Amazon.com: The Kitchen Boy : A Novel of the Last Tsar: Robert Alexander: Books

And Ysbel beat me to the punch with the new book about Britain's Princess Margaret. Although this one sounds really interesting as well:

Amazon.com: Margaret: The Last Real Princess: Noel Botham: Books

Cat

Fabulous Fake 03-15-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysbel (Post 742670)
But for a complete change of pace, I'm really interested in this new book about Princess Margaret.

Amazon.com: Princess Margaret: Tim Heald: Books

I've just bought that book.It arrived this morning.

Yes please.:flowers:

Elspeth 03-15-2008 08:50 PM

I must say The Royal Physician's Visit is one of the weirdest books I've read in a long time.

I see I'd better go and find myself a copy of Tim Heald's book.

LadyCat 03-15-2008 08:59 PM

Thankfully a new B&N coupon for 20% off arrived in my e-mail yesterday. I'll order the Princess Margaret book now. Looks like its going to be our first!

BTW Elspeth weird as in you wish you hadn't wasted the time and money or weird but still interesting and entertaining? Thanks.

Cat

Elspeth 03-15-2008 09:17 PM

It was interesting and provided a very different picture of the Danish court from what I was expecting, but the picture was very twisted and unwholesome, so I can't say I found it entertaining, exactly. Very instructive, but there was an edge of sordid insanity to the story.

I've just ordered a copy of the Princess Margaret book, but it's coming from England so it might take a while.

LadyCat 03-15-2008 09:33 PM

The reviews (for Royal Physicians Visit) were all over the place but most seemed favorable. However, I think I'll move it to the bottom of the wish list after reading your review. And thank you for sharing it with me.

As for the Princess Margaret book by Tim Heald. B&N doesn't have it, BAM doesn't either. And it takes 4 to 7 weeks for shipping via Amazon (sometimes it ships sooner but you never know with them). Borders on line is via Amazon but I'm hoping it is on the shelf at the local Borders. If not, well, I guess I'll be reading it in 4-7 weeks. :smile:

Cat

ysbel 03-15-2008 09:37 PM

The Heald book looks really interesting. He got access to all sorts of original papers and was able to interview a lot of the key players in Princess Margaret's life including her ex-husband, Lord Snowdon.