The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Chit Chat (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f235/)
-   -   Names on official documents for Royals & Aristocrates (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f235/names-on-official-documents-for-royals-and-aristocrates-16272.html)

alterego 03-12-2008 10:16 AM

Names on official documents for Royals & Aristocrates

I am wondering, what would the names be for royals and aristocracies on official documents(say, on their passports)? Both given names and family names. :rolleyes:

I read somewhere that both French+British goverments would still keep titles of nobility on documents, perhaps German too?

And like those royals who have got 8,9,10 or even more given names on baptisam, will they list all of them on their id? :P

lilytornado 03-12-2008 10:49 AM

In Germany there is no nobility anymore, but you can have a noble title as part of your name. So if it is part of your name, yes, that would mean that it shows on your passport/ID, etc.

Empress 03-12-2008 11:03 AM

In Germany isn't it something along these lines:

If you were Princess of Hannover, in Germany your name would not be Princess Caroline of Hannover but Caroline Prinzessin von Hannover, with Prinzessen von Hannover as the last name instead of a title?

principessa 03-12-2008 11:08 AM

In Germany HRH is titled: Caroline Prinzessin von Hannover or Caroline von Hannover. In Austria, f. e. you are not allowed to sign with the word "von". The official name of Archduke Otto of Austria (the current head of the house) is Otto Habsburg. IMO these laws are a little bit discriminating, but the constitution is so.

alterego 03-14-2008 01:03 PM

O? In Germany, "Prinzessin" will beindicated in the passport? Ummm, I thought only "von" and "zu" are allowed.

How about Italy/France:rolleyes:?

cdm 03-18-2008 10:25 AM

I know that the last name of the royal family of Belgium 'van BelgiŽ' (in Flemish) or 'de Belgique' (in French) is.
I saw it on the news when King Albert received his new identity card and I know it from someone who teaches in the school where the children of Astrid and Filip go.
I think I read once that the 'von Sachsen Coburg Gotha' family name was dropped a few kings ago.

Jo of Palatine 03-18-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by principessa (Post 741146)
In Germany HRH is titled: Caroline Prinzessin von Hannover or Caroline von Hannover. In Austria, f. e. you are not allowed to sign with the word "von". The official name of Archduke Otto of Austria (the current head of the house) is Otto Habsburg. IMO these laws are a little bit discriminating, but the constitution is so.

No, he is Dr. Otto Habsburg-Lothringen, as academical titles are still in use. BTW - since 1.1.2007 Archduke Karl is head of the house, his father "abdicated" in his favour. :flowers:

Jo of Palatine 03-18-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alterego (Post 742188)
O? In Germany, "Prinzessin" will beindicated in the passport? Ummm, I thought only "von" and "zu" are allowed.

How about Italy/France:rolleyes:?

The name even changes gender ober here: when eg Hermann Prinz von und zu XY marries, his wife becomes Henriette Prinzessin von und zu XY.

The tradition that only the Head of a house holds a certain title while the children have others is accepted by the state as a legal reason for a name chance. So if Albert Fuerst von und zu XA dies, his son and the son's wife can apply for an official name change out of family tradition.

If Anna Prinzessin von BC has an illegitimate child, this child takes the name form the mother - a girl will be Prinzessin, a boy Prinz. Same with adoption.