The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f183/)
-   -   Grand Duke Henri - Rex Or Not? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f183/grand-duke-henri-rex-or-not-1610.html)

USCtrojan 01-01-2004 10:39 PM

Grand Duke Henri - Rex Or Not?

Does Grand Duke Henri use the R sometimes when signing his name? HM Queen Elizabeth is at times called or refered to as Elizabeth Regina, the King and Queen of Spain have signed this years Christmas card ending their names with R - (Juan Carlos R & Sofia R). Is this a title? or a name for a Grand Duke (current head of state of Luxembourg) like it is for kIngs and Queens? You would like to think so being that Henri is no less then Margarethe of Denmark, Elizabeth II of Great Britain, Juan Carlos of Spain or any other monarchs or heads of state. Does anyone know?

Do we know how the Grand Duke signs his name? Do we have an example anywhere?

USCtrojan 01-02-2004 09:57 PM

Ahhh nice.

That does kinda suck though for the Grand Dukes. Too bad it isn't a universal thingy for them.... Haha.... There is not title in Latin for Grand Duke that HRH might use?

kelly9480 01-02-2004 10:11 PM

I think he just signs "Henri".

grecka 08-04-2004 09:47 PM

Regina means queen, Rex is king. He would not use either.

Lord Williams 08-05-2004 03:58 AM

I thought of a title in latin for Grand Duke

Dux Magnus

DVX MAGNVS

so Henri D.M

Mariel 06-16-2012 05:14 PM

Dux Magnus is a clever title, but I think it's more understated and effective to just sign "Henri". The royal family of Luxembourg seem to hit just the right note of hereditary significance and that humility which becomes a Christian ruler. They seem to me to be a model for other rulers, even though they have had some dust-ups like Louis' early entrance into fatherhood, which they handled remarkably well. Their scandals are small and just show they are human. No egregious fatuousness.

Dux Magnus might be over the line.

Jacknch 06-16-2012 06:32 PM

I think an example of Henri's signature can be found under Ceremony and Protocol - royal signature's thread. He simply signs Henri.

Meraude 06-16-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Williams (Post 115969)
I thought of a title in latin for Grand Duke

Dux Magnus

DVX MAGNVS

so Henri D.M

It would actually be Magnus Dux, compare with Magnus Rex or Magna Carta.

RoyalistRiley 06-16-2012 08:50 PM

I think it's fine for him to sign Henri, but I am surprised that there isn't a Latin style for Grand Dukes. The Pope signs as Benedictus PP and Kings and Queens are usually so-and-so R, so its a bit of an anomaly.

Moonmaiden23 06-17-2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariel1 (Post 1431450)
Dux Magnus is a clever title, but I think it's more understated and effective to just sign "Henri". The royal family of Luxembourg seem to hit just the right note of hereditary significance and that humility which becomes a Christian ruler. They seem to me to be a model for other rulers, even though they have had some dust-ups like Louis' early entrance into fatherhood, which they handled remarkably well. Their scandals are small and just show they are human. No egregious fatuousness.

Dux Magnus might be over the line.

I think "Dux Magnus" is rather clever, but otherwise I completely agree with everything else you posted.

This family has only recently entered my radar even though I have been aware of them for many years of course...and they have quickly become my favorites.:flowers:

They are so very impressive...warm and accessible while remaining completely Royal, physically affectionate without being vulgar, beautiful to look at, stylish without descending into pop culture style "icons".

They are unabashedly devout.

The Nassaus have held onto something that most of the other Royal Houses have lost or are in the process of losing....a sense of mystique and majesty.

They seem thoroughly modern, yet from an altogether completely different era. :whistling:

Meraude 06-17-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley (Post 1431525)
I think it's fine for him to sign Henri, but I am surprised that there isn't a Latin style for Grand Dukes.

There is a Latin style for Grand Duke, it's Magnus Dux, Grand duke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , as I mentioned in the post above your. One reason for why not using the M.D. could be that it is also short for Medecinae Doctor, a Doctor of Medicine.

RoyalistRiley 06-17-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meraude (Post 1431758)
There is a Latin style for Grand Duke, it's Magnus Dux, Grand duke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , as I mentioned in the post above your. One reason for why not using the M.D. could be that it is also short for Medecinae Doctor, a Doctor of Medicine.

I did see your post, but I meant to say there isn't a Latin style for it that was widely used. My mistake:flowers:

I also agree completely with Mariel1 about the Luxembourg Royal Family. They are definitely a wonderful example for all royals:smile:

Meraude 06-18-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley (Post 1431807)
I did see your post, but I meant to say there isn't a Latin style for it that was widely used.

I can't say that the Latin forms of Rex and Regina (or for other Latin names for royal and noble titles) are in common use today among royals, perhaps with the exception of queen Elizabeth. When it comes to the Spanish royal couple, the R after their names I would think are for the Spanish words for king (rey) and queen (reina), not for the Latin Rex and Regina. In the Catholic church Latin is still in use and therefore it's not surprising that the pope signs with PP after his name.

Alexey 1904 06-19-2012 04:54 PM

RoyalistRiley: What about Moonmaiden23's post about the RF of Luxembourg?

An Ard Ri 06-19-2012 05:27 PM

signature of His Majesty,King Juan Carlos I of Spain

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Signature.svg

signature of Her Majesty,Queen Sofia of Spain

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Signature.svg